Our history of trading stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

steph
Club Player

Our history of trading stars

Just to name a couple:

Ian Stewart for Bill Barrott
Result: Stewart wins his third brownlow for the tigers. Should have been in saints colours

Russell Green for 3 Hawks:
Result: Green plays 200 games for Hawthorn and captains Victoria. Ex hawks play a handful of games between them for us

Tony Lockett: Do I really need to explain the repurcussions of losing arguable the best player ever?

Barry Hall: Basically THE reason why we lost the pre-lim, and why THEY won the flag and we didn't.

Plus, lets just add in Spider, Joel Smith, Matty Lappin for good measure.

If anyone agrees with Niall that we should trade Kosi, well enjoy watching him succeed at another club. History shows he WILL.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yes steph, thats what im afraid of with kosi as well, if traded.

I think we ended up with dal from the pick we got from hall. Not entirely sure on that one.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Yes steph, thats what im afraid of with kosi as well, if traded.

I think we ended up with dal from the pick we got from hall. Not entirely sure on that one.
We sure did aswell as Heath Black and Trent Knobel, if we could have kept Black we could have come off far better from that trade IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our history of trading stars

steph wrote:Just to name a couple:

Result: Stewart wins his third brownlow for the tigers. Should have been in saints colours

Result: Green plays 200 games for Hawthorn and captains Victoria. Ex hawks play a handful of games between them for us

Tony Lockett: Do I really need to explain the repurcussions of losing arguable the best player ever?

Barry Hall: Basically THE reason why we lost the pre-lim, and why THEY won the flag and we didn't.

If anyone agrees with Niall that we should trade Kosi, well enjoy watching him succeed at another club. History shows he WILL.
Dunno the history of Stewart leaving the club.

Greene left.

Lockett became a liability, a side structured around a power forward who was constantly out injured or suspended, and hated the club.

Hall the same.

Spida almost the same.

Matty Lapin, dunno.

Joel Smith was chronically injured several times beofre his contract ended and was delisted...who knew he'd come up for the Hawks!?!

Kosi won't be traded, I'm sure.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Yes we got pick 13 which we used for Dal Santo and i think also the pick which we used for either Maguire or Montagna, so not a bad deal.

One year will be our year
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup...got picks 13, 17 and 45, used 13 to get dal and the other two picks went in three way trades maybe (?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_AFL_Draft

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:yup...got picks 13, 17 and 45, used 13 to get dal and the other two picks went in three way trades maybe (?)

As said above, Black for pick 17 and Knoble for pick 45.

Black was brilliant with us, aggressive, skillful and could be relied on when going for goal. To bad he got "homesick."

longtimesaint
Club Player

For Hall we got picks 13 -used for Dal santo ,pick 17 (Heath black) and pick 45 (Trent Knobel)
Picks 21 (Maguire) and 37 (Montagna) were our picks.
A great draft 2001 !

One year will be our year
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:For Hall we got picks 13 -used for Dal santo ,pick 17 (Heath black) and pick 45 (Trent Knobel)
Picks 21 (Maguire) and 37 (Montagna) were our picks.
A great draft 2001 !
Don't forget Bally and Xavier :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
steph wrote:Just to name a couple:

Dunno the history of Stewart leaving the club.

Greene left.

Lockett became a liability, a side structured around a power forward who was constantly out injured or suspended, and hated the club.

Hall the same.

Spida almost the same.

Matty Lapin, dunno.

Joel Smith was chronically injured several times beofre his contract ended and was delisted...who knew he'd come up for the Hawks!?!

Kosi won't be traded, I'm sure.
Smith chronically injured?

The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is history.

anyway there have been trades in the past that have worked for both club and player. I can't help but wonder if kosi might be the same. Not sure what we could get on the open market but if it was a first round pick I would take it. If not keep.

The hawks showed that smart trading can pay off (see hay and thompson). Heck I wonder if freo want him for their first pick, they did that with croad? (and we want him back a couple of years later :P )

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:yup...got picks 13, 17 and 45, used 13 to get dal and the other two picks went in three way trades maybe (?)

Black was brilliant with us, aggressive, skillful and could be relied on when going for goal. To bad he got "homesick."
aye...black was great, good runner, reasonable/good disposal and didnt mind getting stuck into it and flying the flag....kinda what we miss now really.

was a bit pissed off he had to go back home.
missed mummy and daddy and wanted to play with his bro i think

shame really

Solar
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

aye...black was great, good runner, reasonable/good disposal and didnt mind getting stuck into it and flying the flag....kinda what we miss now really.

shame really
didn't his girlfriend miss home and "encourage" black to leave?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Actually I thought it was that his wife (who was either about to, or just had given birth to their first born) decided to move back to the west. Black asked to be traded the year before he left but St Kilda didn't get the paperwork done in time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

so steph, spill the beans.....you hardly ever post on SS, have been a posting member for a while and only get your back up when either Roo or Kosi are in any sort of "trouble".

What gives?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We did alright getting Gehrig to the club. Hamill went alright too.

Sometimes players just need to change clubs.

Hall, Lockett and Everitt all wanted out.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Solar
The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is history.
[/quote]

He actually did his knee quite badly and was out for well over 12 months
after having a knee reconstruction.I dont think StKilda were prepared to offer him a reasonable contract due to the severity of his injury so Hawthorn did.they had to wait 12 months for him to come good anyway..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If ignorance is bliss, some out there must be really happy.

First Stewart. A magnificent footballer but a bit odd in the head. He got it in his mind that Jeans pressured him to play when he was injured. Jeans disputes this. Stewart's injuries tended more and more to be brought on by liquid consumption. He wanted to go. The fact that we got no one in return (Barrott) is another matter.

With Greene, he had a reputation of being a party boy - which he was. He acknowledged this latter when he gave up the grog. Surprise, surprise, he becomes a champion. However, it was a big mistake to get rid of him - such people of talent need to be worked through.

With Smith, he did his knee (didn't break his leg) when hack Osborne fell over a la hack Waters in 1972 which ended the career of John McIntosh.
We should have paid up, although to be fair, he was never the same footballer again with some diminished pace - he could have been anything but ended up being just very good.

With Lockett, he left for money. Nothing would have kept him. He disgraced the jumper.

With Hall, he left for money. However, he could have been persuaded, but Thomas could not be bothered.

We must keep Kosi.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We must keep Kosi, because we will get stuff all for him.
If we think we can get a top 10 pick for him, we are sadly mistaken.
No point trading him for pick 20 odd....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:We must keep Kosi, because we will get stuff all for him.
If we think we can get a top 10 pick for him, we are sadly mistaken.
No point trading him for pick 20 odd....
good point.....and I guess at his contract renewal he'll be offered a fair hunk less than what he's getting now, freeing up the salary cap.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Steph is 100% correct with her original post, and unfortunately, when the chips are down, many saints supporters look to cut themselves off at the knees by trading a 'wayward' star in order to move forward...

It never works, never has, never will...

Kosi is the obvious player in question, and i cannot believe how unfairly he has been maligned in the past month or so.... Not many 6'6" players around the comp doing much more, yet Kosi is torn apart on this forum..
It would be crazy to trade him... He along with a very small handful of others, namely Lenny, Ball, are the heartbeat of our club...

This goes alot deeper than simply trading him for for his onfield abilities for another clubs dud or an untried kid... Its time everyone just got off his back and supported him through this so called bad form... FWIW, i actually think he has not been that bad at all during this time... Trying hard in a team thats struggling, and playing ok, without being great..

However, the best indication of future actions is past actions, and Kosi seems to be the one this time around... It will come back to bite us, both on and off the field... If St.Kilda sells its soul enough times, it eventually will break... I hope this doesnt happen...

On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...
Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

So we'd rather keep an under-performing GOP than trade him for fear he might come good. Who cares if he does? If he does, it just proves he wasn't playing for the jumper and should've been traded in the first place. Done nothing special, and doesn't really deserve the star status attributed to him IMHO.

Snakeman66
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Actually I thought it was that his wife (who was either about to, or just had given birth to their first born) decided to move back to the west. Black asked to be traded the year before he left but St Kilda didn't get the paperwork done in time.
Heath Black was originally recruited by freo from Oakleigh Chargers(Mazenod). His partner is from WA and it was her who was homesick wanting to return to WA.

Heath Black and Aussie Jones were great running off half back.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
steph
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:so steph, spill the beans.....you hardly ever post on SS, have been a posting member for a while and only get your back up when either Roo or Kosi are in any sort of "trouble".

What gives?

what do u want me to say??? i'm actually stephanie macintosh??? :)

Seriously though, i read the threads everyday, don't post much, cos generally someone has already said something i agree with so no point in just repeating. It's just when we start suggesting we trade the heart and soul of our club that I have to put my 2 cents worth in, cos it's just absolute garbage.

Regarding the players we got for these trades, yes it's all well and good some worked out but so what?!?!?! There's no-one happier than me that Dal Santo is a saint, but that's not the point. The point isn't who you get. The point is that instead of developing a culture of "bleeding for the jumper" and remaining faithful to your team, we are establishing a culture of being renowned for losing star players.

I'm just sick of seeing OUR players dominate and succeed in other colours. If seeing Barry Hall hold up that premiership medal, or Plugger kick his record goal in a Swans jumper, didn't make you want to throw up your lunch, I don't know what would.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:[quote="Solar
The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is historyquote]

He actually did his knee quite badly and was out for well over 12 months
after having a knee reconstruction.I dont think StKilda were prepared to offer him a reasonable contract due to the severity of his injury so Hawthorn did.they had to wait 12 months for him to come good anyway
[/quote]

Thats exactly what happened . After all other players contracts were sewn up they told him there was no money and contract to fit him in .

I couldn't believe the talent and promise this young kid was developing and does his knee and the club S**t themselves and put a bullet through his head like a lame race horse.