We will lose supporters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

We will lose supporters

If we keep playing this style of football supporters will stop going to our games. At the moment we are the most boring team to watch in the comp. I've been watching my beloved Saints for over 50 years and have seen many thrashings plus of course some great wins but most times over those years at least we had players who though lacking the football ability and skills of say a Dal Santo would always have a go.
Whatever game plan Lyons is using it is completely useless. When we get the ball most players now hesitate and never move it on quickly often resulting in damn turnovers. Our coach seems content with some defeats often saying we are on the right track. what planet is he from?
No way in this world should Maguire or Dempster been selected in the firsts as their Casey form had been very ordinary by all reports plus why didn't Baker have a run there instead of coming straight back in? Gehrig kicked a point for Casey so that should get him back this week i reckon. :oops: Come on Ross, take the shackles off and give our players full rein and let them play fast attacking football, what have you got to lose and who knows we just might start kicking 15 to 20 goals consistently.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im sick of the same crap each week its the same performance week in week out the time is now we sent G to tassie to get some form he came out with less .. he should be given a task he has 10 goals to kick in the VFL b4 hes allowed to be back in the team if it takes him 2 weeks great if it takes him the year so be it the likes of Allen are there to take his spot .. the kids might not be ready but they will bring somthing thats been laking for the last 3 years ....... unpredictability teams know our game plan better then our players seem to grasp it !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will lose supporters

The Sainter wrote: I've been watching my beloved Saints for over 50 years and have seen many thrashings plus of course some great wins but most times over those years at least we had players who though lacking the football ability and skills of say a Dal Santo would always have a go.
A 50 year supporter HAS a clue about St.Kilda......please Ross listen to people like this.....they have a fair bit of cred!

Great points.....where has that fire in the belly gone???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
derby Street
Club Player

Agree Sainter - of course we will always retain our supporteres but membership will fall = loss of revenue. We are struggling to keep up with the big guns now the money they are raising and pouring into their football departments.
I remember when we used to play a fantastic style of football. Sure we lost some games because of it - but hey we play a crap low scoring game and still manage to lose. How many games are you going to win kicking 9 goals and I reckon there is more of that to come.

We can only hope a fair bit of rejigging and finetuning of our forward set up happens and lots of work on the training track. WE ARE BETTER THAN WE ARE SHOWING. - By the if we perhaps we played some kids instead of the perpetrual players who continually let us down it might also be beneficial.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

my family no longer joins me for saint games -too boring and frustrating for them -and i have to agree - only i can't give up on them.
But through all the lean years - 70s and 80s (oh and the watson years) i have never been so frustrated with my team. They are BORING - i don't think i could enjoy it if it brought success - i certainly can't enjoy it bringing us failure. Does a lack of confidence lead to defensive play or vice versa? Methinks it goes both ways!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Behind Play
Club Player

Does the board have the right to speak to the senior coach and advise him to change his style? This style of play is going to cost us next year.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

I have hijacked my sons registration - lol

Umm - There are many supporters here who will continue to support the Saints and LOVE them - but are we going to keep the kids - the ones who will be the future - already our CS suffers through lack of interest.

My son said to me last night that if this keeps going he will pick another team - this from a kid under 10 - who wants to go to see the boys training - wanted to go to Ballarat from Skye - just to meet them again - got 36 autographs at the family day from the sheer love of the Sainters - He has every Team coach card from the last two years (Base, Silver, Gold and Blue as well as all captain B&F and SW cards) also has most of this years - from his $10.00 per week pocket money.

We cannot afford to lose these supporters or 10 years from now no-one will carry the torch for the Saints as I did and passed it to Sainter_Boy.

Please - I dont know what the answer is - but seeing the pain in his eyes as he asked to go to bed before the game was finished on Sat night is horrendous.

Behind Play
Club Player

Sainter_Boy wrote:I have hijacked my sons registration - lol

Umm - There are many supporters here who will continue to support the Saints and LOVE them - but are we going to keep the kids - the ones who will be the future - already our CS suffers through lack of interest.

My son said to me last night that if this keeps going he will pick another team - this from a kid under 10 - who wants to go to see the boys training - wanted to go to Ballarat from Skye - just to meet them again - got 36 autographs at the family day from the sheer love of the Sainters - He has every Team coach card from the last two years (Base, Silver, Gold and Blue as well as all captain B&F and SW cards) also has most of this years - from his $10.00 per week pocket money.

We cannot afford to lose these supporters or 10 years from now no-one will carry the torch for the Saints as I did and passed it to Sainter_Boy.

Please - I dont know what the answer is - but seeing the pain in his eyes as he asked to go to bed before the game was finished on Sat night is horrendous.
Do these kids deserve the same treatment we have endured.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Ouch. That last post hurts. Feel for you as his dad.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Sainter_Boy
Club Player

SEN - I will keep the faith - and maybe we will see it through - but the worrying thing is his mum supports the Blues - I cant lose him to the dark side - lol.

There is however a lot of history for him - He worships Harvs and wears his number with pride - wanted it as his jnr footy number even and was in theguard of honour for his 350 + 1 - so when Banger retires is when i fear I may lose him - lol

Heres hoping that by then we are playing 'winning' footy even if we dont win the games - but always have a crack.

Maybe we should take the kids down to training and get them to ask for the 100% effort we all know it takes. I cannot claim any skill at all as a football player so I cant comment on the great players we have - but I would love to offer my 100% to them and ask for it in return.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Just keep taking him to Harves shop. :D

I've lost my son to the game. He loves the Saints because I do, but finds it so boring he refuses to come to games anymore. :cry:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Same here, snoops.
BakesFan jnr (pictured in avatar) hasn't sat through a full game this season. That word, 'boring' just keeps coming up ad nauseum. :cry:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
bergsone
SS Life Member

easy solution change the game plan...or change the ?.make up your mind i am sick of watching it

Batnoe

i dont like our gameplan

i know our fans dont either, even if we have more supporters at the game they dont cheer because they are bored

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Game style is not confined to the saints. I went to to the North v South game and it was a carbon copy of most of our games. Woeful. As I have said in another post, our game is now a pale imitation of soccer (kicking the ball around to a series of uncontested marks 20 metres away) and rugby (keeping the ball locked up in the forward line when at last the ball goes in). Games may get exciting in the last ten minutes if the scores are close. Other than that, the game is boring -like soccer and rugby.

Of course, the main culprit is the AFL and its various rules sections who decided that the high mark needed to go from the game - well that was the effect of the changed interpretations. It was the one element of difference between our code and every other code and the thing that made it the most exciting. Highlight tapes would always feature the screamers. Now, the only screamers are the fans fed up with the rubbish. Players are dragged for going for a contested mark because of the AFL decision only to pay marks that are held for ten minutes. If you look at the great marks of the last thirty years, 90% would not be paid according to the latest interpretations. I saw Trevor Barker take many beauties but most would not be paid or would have a free against him for a finger nail in the back. It's a disgrace and the morons who did it should go for a long walk off a short pier.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Game style is not confined to the saints. I went to to the North v South game and it was a carbon copy of most of our games. Woeful. As I have said in another post, our game is now a pale imitation of soccer (kicking the ball around to a series of uncontested marks 20 metres away) and rugby (keeping the ball locked up in the forward line when at last the ball goes in). Games may get exciting in the last ten minutes if the scores are close. Other than that, the game is boring -like soccer and rugby.

Of course, the main culprit is the AFL and its various rules sections who decided that the high mark needed to go from the game - well that was the effect of the changed interpretations. It was the one element of difference between our code and every other code and the thing that made it the most exciting. Highlight tapes would always feature the screamers. Now, the only screamers are the fans fed up with the rubbish. Players are dragged for going for a contested mark because of the AFL decision only to pay marks that are held for ten minutes. If you look at the great marks of the last thirty years, 90% would not be paid according to the latest interpretations. I saw Trevor Barker take many beauties but most would not be paid or would have a free against him for a finger nail in the back. It's a disgrace and the morons who did it should go for a long walk off a short pier.
It is not the AFL who make sides play like Sydney and the Saints. It is the coaches. tell me one rule that causes those 2 sides to flood like they do and move the ball slowly. How come Hawthorn, Geelong, bulldogs and most other sides play great footy. Why are all the people who write about footy, who 3 years ago said footy was going no good, are no saying footy is more attractive than ever.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

And just think of the same posters who would be rejoicing if we had this gameplan and were 6-0. :roll:

Some people cant take losing.

Hysterical and panicked :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Thats crap joffaboy cause you would NEVER EVER be 6 and 0 playing this way!! No one has, no one will.

And yes, I wouldnt be happy winning playing like that all the time. Stupid argument mate.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Thats crap joffaboy cause you would NEVER EVER be 6 and 0 playing this way!! No one has, no one will.

And yes, I wouldnt be happy winning playing like that all the time. Stupid argument mate.
Hysteric :roll: :roll:

Tell us about the gameplan from 1897-1903 as according to you this is the worst gameplan in history :roll:

HTF would you know? Considering you are probably about 14 y.o. you wouldn't have a clue.

Go back to sucking your thumb curled up in the feotal position because we lost a couple of games you monumental sook :roll:

Harden the **** up you whiney little girl :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Behind Play
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Thats crap joffaboy cause you would NEVER EVER be 6 and 0 playing this way!! No one has, no one will.

Tell us about the gameplan from 1897-1903 as according to you this is the worst gameplan in history :roll:

HTF would you know? Considering you are probably about 14 y.o. you wouldn't have a clue.

Go back to sucking your thumb curled up in the feotal position because we lost a couple of games you monumental sook :roll:

Sounds like your the kid Joffa!!!!!!!!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:

Here come the hysterics on mass. One of your pussy mates cop a spray and you get all upset do you?

tough luck you huge sook.

Go and have a cry with your other nancy mate.

Lance or James??

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Behind Play wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Im 35 ya spoon. Dont be so presumptious. Thats my opinion and Ill be f***ed if Ill take your heavy handed bulls*** you love to throw around here. I have read your s*** over a long period, damn keyboard heros. Oh so easy to be the big tough man over the internet :roll: :roll:

Its a forum, leanr to suck it up and understand ITS MEANT FOR OPINIONS TO BE EXPRESSED.

Behind Play
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Im 35 ya spoon. Dont be so presumptious. Thats my opinion and Ill be f***ed if Ill take your heavy handed bulls*** you love to throw around here. I have read your s*** over a long period, damn keyboard heros. Oh so easy to be the big tough man over the internet :roll: :roll:

Its a forum, leanr to suck it up and understand ITS MEANT FOR OPINIONS TO BE EXPRESSED.
Too many precious supporters..........I can assure you, you are not helping the club in any way.
Let other express their views..... the more opinions the more we learn.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:

Your opinion is worth absolutely nothing (just like mine).

You say you have read my s*** over a long period of time. I cant say the same about yours because usually I just ignore it, because it is usually negative crap. However if you want to come on and call my argument stupid be prepared to cop a spray back, obviously too thinned skinned to take it (a bit like your team losing :roll: )

In case like yours I am reminded of what my dear old grand dad used to say.....

"son its better to remain quiet and let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

carry on 8-) 8-)

Lance or James??

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

Your opinion is worth absolutely nothing (just like mine).

You say you have read my s*** over a long period of time. I cant say the same about yours because usually I just ignore it, because it is usually negative crap. However if you want to come on and call my argument stupid be prepared to cop a spray back, obviously too thinned skinned to take it (a bit like your team losing :roll: )

In case like yours I am reminded of what my dear old grand dad used to say.....

"son its better to remain quiet and let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

carry on 8-) 8-)
Yeah whatever Joffa, your just a big yawnfest really. What a pity you sully the name of one of our greats.