Lack of Injuries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cirra
Club Player

Lack of Injuries

I wanted to share something that I've been thinking about over the first few rounds this year about our lack of injuries and how that may/may not have an impact on how we play.

At the moment we have out best 20/21 players out on the field, I have this as only Goose and Baker not available (arguably Baker has been overtaken by Geary in the back pocket and/or L. Fisher as a tagger).

I think the last time we had out best 20/21 players out on the field would have been mid-2004.

So therefore, for over three years we have had to plug holes, find quick fixes, learn to play without our best that when we actually have them we struggle to play cohesively together.

I remember Andy Maher and the commentary guys going on about "an embarrassment of riches" for us before the Carlton game, can we work well together when for so long we haven’t had the chance?

I've thought many times, "All we need are our best players out there and then we'll be the best. Nothing will stop us." or "I'm sick of blaming injures."

Now that we have it...do the players now need extra time to get used to each other again?

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lack of Injuries

Cirra wrote:I wanted to share something that I've been thinking about over the first few rounds this year about our lack of injuries and how that may/may not have an impact on how we play.

At the moment we have out best 20/21 players out on the field, I have this as only Goose and Baker not available (arguably Baker has been overtaken by Geary in the back pocket and/or L. Fisher as a tagger).

I think the last time we had out best 20/21 players out on the field would have been mid-2004.

So therefore, for over three years we have had to plug holes, find quick fixes, learn to play without our best that when we actually have them we struggle to play cohesively together.

I remember Andy Maher and the commentary guys going on about "an embarrassment of riches" for us before the Carlton game, can we work well together when for so long we haven’t had the chance?

I've thought many times, "All we need are our best players out there and then we'll be the best. Nothing will stop us." or "I'm sick of blaming injures."

Now that we have it...do the players now need extra time to get used to each other again?
short answer yes

long answer yes

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Peanut
Club Player

Re: Lack of Injuries

Cirra wrote:
... can we work well together when for so long we haven’t had the chance?
... Now that we have it...do the players now need extra time to get used to each other again?
This is something I thought about regularly when players came in and out through injuries and every time I watch Geelong this year it crosses my mind.

It's also worth remembering when considering radical position changes - ie surely its better to just tweak the list and game plan to help with long run overall improvement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

When we had injuries we had an excuse. Now we havent got them we cannot use an excuse that they havent played together much. They have had 4 practice games and three other games. Have Schneider and Gardiner been effected by not playing together with the rest of the side. I dont it as they have both done well.

We may be looking foe excuses but that isnt one of them.

And that is what worries me. Last few years we could use injuries as a reason. What is the reason this early in the season for not looking good. It is only 3 games and hopefully it will all fall into place.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Geelong, Round 5 2007, 2-3 :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!