Forward line way too top heavy!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forward line way too top heavy!!!!

One of the three need to play high up the ground - it's not rocket science Ross - even Rob Walls can see that!!!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I have said time and again, Kosi is not a FF nor a CHF. He is an extremely unreliable kick for goal and - as we have seen tonight - he can be marked out of the game.

I think the ruck is the go for Kosi. Or else some sort of roving half forward role. That's where he's done his best work over the years.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
F_Q_F
Club Player

meher baba wrote:As I have said time and again, Kosi is not a FF nor a CHF. He is an extremely unreliable kick for goal and - as we have seen tonight - he can be marked out of the game.

I think the ruck is the go for Kosi. Or else some sort of roving half forward role. That's where he's done his best work over the years.
Looks like Kosi is having a run in the ruck in the last quarter.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

encouraging that we kicked a good, winning score with both riewoldt and kosi having average games. that is the beauty of having many avenues to goal.

the opposition can't shut them all down. another week it will be kosi's night or riewoldt's turn. tonight it was fraser's and xavier's and schneider's.

you can't expect all of them to fire every week and i'd persist with kosi forward. you have to put a good player on him or he'll beat you up and that certainly freed up fraser to do some damage tonight

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Poorly structured ... not happy at all with how RL coached in the first quarter.

Needed to push Riewoldt a lot further up the ground and give Kosi more space.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Poorly structured ... not happy at all with how RL coached in the first quarter.

Agreed.

I dont think that we were really top heavy...I dont believe that is the issue. Too simplistic. I think that it was just woefully structured.

They were all looking at each other and standing on their toes....play smarter than that.

As OWTS said...run Roo up the wings, Kos @ CHF and G @ FF....

First quarter we were just spectating....especially in the coaches box...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt and Gehrig has been a winning combo for many years. Throw Kosi in there and it is just too crowded. Kosi can dominate when he's by himself, but not with two other big forwards around him.

I think Roo needs to spend some time in the midfield, Kosi some time in the ruck and Gehrig more time on the bench if they all want to remain as primarily forwards.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Poorly structured ... not happy at all with how RL coached in the first quarter.

Agreed.

I dont think that we were really top heavy...I dont believe that is the issue. Too simplistic. I think that it was just woefully structured.

They were all looking at each other and standing on their toes....play smarter than that.

As OWTS said...run Roo up the wings, Kos @ CHF and G @ FF....

First quarter we were just spectating....especially in the coaches box...
Exactly!

Summed up perfectly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Riewoldt and Gehrig has been a winning combo for many years.
they've been too easily shut down for many years and that's why, in my opinion, that we must perservere with kosi forward as well.

Huzzad
Club Player

Having 3 talls is a great idea (although, kosi has serious kicking concerns), but they need to be leading to 3 different spots, not the same. Good to see Gehrig back, without him it would have been a very different score line I think. Get these 3 leading in 3 different directions and it will be impossible for any team to cover us. Have them all in the same spot however, you see what you saw tonight. RL will have learned though and expect different structure vs the dogs. Also, we need to keep Kosi away from the goals till he can learn to kick. Keep G-Train in the square and let Kosi roam, he still can't play key position.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig 4 Milne 4 Riewoldt 2 Schneider 2

I think the forward line functioned well for the last three quarters.

19 goals is pretty good you know.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
boneless23
Club Player

if Hawthorn can make it work with Roughhead, Buddy and Boyle then we can as well. I think Ross and his team should watch the Hawthorn vs Melbourne and Fremantle tapes and see how they structure their front half and create space for the 3 big men to operate in.

They seem to use their crummers in Rioli and Stokes better than we used Milne and Schneider tonight (especially in the first quarter).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Gehrig 4 Milne 4 Riewoldt 2 Schneider 2

I think the forward line functioned well for the last three quarters.

19 goals is pretty good you know.
and kosi forward would have made it just that much easier for gehrig and roo. next time it might be his turn.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Worked well for the last three q's.....due to Ross generally benching on of the talls......against that opposition we should have kicked 35.....

Gehrig was good...
Milne was good....
Schnieder was OK....
Riewoldt was average....
Kosi was deplorable....

IMO when the ball hits the deck with a Tall fwd line, the opposition move the ball too easily out of defense....

Personally I would rotate all three.....with

One High working from 50 to the wings

One low about 30 out

One deep in the square

Milne and schnieder/Harvey/X between 30 and 50

jill
Club Player

Stick with all the talls - some will be subdued but others will fire - can't cover all of them!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:Stick with all the talls - some will be subdued but others will fire - can't cover all of them!!
that's it in a nutshell.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Time for John Barker to earn his paycheck. Find a novel way to take advantage of having three talls up forward.

Scottish Saint
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:

They seem to use their crummers in Rioli and Stokes better than we used Milne and Schneider tonight (especially in the first quarter).
I was at The Dome so I didn't see the Hawthorn game but that's a strange comment when Rioli and Stokes got 3 goals between them and Milne and Schneider got 6! And X got 3 as well.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:22am, edited 2 times in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

well, we'll see what we can do against Geelong arguably the best defensive team in the comp, hopefully their defence won't easily get through and stream through the middle which they are so good at..as i tend to agree there is a problem with the structure
Next week we really should be all over the dogs as we always do, they never seem to have the defenders capable of stopping our tall forwards, great matchup for us the dogs are, always are

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I agree Roo was way too deep, left Kosi confused and with nowhere to go....

Its going to take a while for Kosi, G and Roo to click, at least half a season for mine....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

how about providing a bit of movement and a few more headaches for the opposition by rotating them around the forward line.

give kosi a shot at chf and roo a go at ff. or try fraser on a flank with kosi at chf. it is just a matter of finding the right dynamic and when it clicks it will be awesome.

i'm not complaining about a 40-point victory tonight though.

not a surprise to me that with carlton so obsessed with stopping the 3 Divas that milne (4 goals), xavier (3 goals) and schneider (2) were able to sneak under the radar
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 30 Mar 2008 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think the whole gameplan and sloppy passing by the mid fielders had something to do with it

move the ball quick and keep the forward 50 open and we'd be laughing

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i was impressed with schneids and milne & x tonight

milne did them little things around the ground that counted when it mattered,

X was everywhere! better then his brother HAHA

schneids KEEPS impressing me