Hayes to lead....?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainterone
Club Player

Hayes to lead....?????

From the Hun(Jon Ralph):

ST KILDA'S incumbent captain Lenny Hayes says he would be honoured to continue leading the club, but will accept the decision handed down by coach Ross Lyon in the coming days.

Lyon confirmed on Saturday the 2008 leadership race was between key forward Nick Riewoldt and midfielder Hayes.

But he said the match committee would this week decide whether to retain the co-captain structure or commit to a single leader.

With the AFL season launch and captains' meeting on Thursday, the Saints are likely - but not certain -- to decide their leadership structure by then.

Hayes said yesterday he would not alter his leadership style if Riewoldt won the sole role, but would like to remain captain.

"Yeah, definitely. It is a great honour to captain the club," Hayes said.

"I like working with Rooey (Riewoldt), but I am not going to change the way I go about it if I am captain or not. I just want what's best for the team.

"We haven't spoken a great deal about it at this stage.

"We have formed the leadership group and a couple of guys have had the chance to captain the side over the last couple of weeks, and it has been fantastic.

"What will happen will happen there, but whatever is best for the team I am happy to go with."

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Hayes wins it for mine just slightly of over Roo for one reason and one reason only and that is his aggression. His aggression at the ball and his aggression when the flag needs to be flown.

He is the Saints Michael Voss.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I'd personally prefer one captain, the Ross the Boss can choose what to do and I'll accept the decision.

Either guy would be OK for me if single captain was chosen, BTW.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'm so over the captaincy talk now, especially considering it is just a title, the true leadership will be shown regardless of title throughout the season... may aswell just give it to the great man...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I agree, pretty meaningless really. Name a name and we move on. Its all about leadership groups these days, and thats a good thing me thinks.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Being captain of St Kilda Football Club meaningless, just a title?

You people need to find another team to support.

Tell Baldock, Barker, Frawley, Harvey and all the great Captains we have had that it is meaningless and see what sort of reply you get from them.

You kids today have no idea.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Can I have some of what your smoking man? That was a totally different era in a almost completely different set up. Besides, I dont recall passing comment on the quality of any of those guys. Were talking 2008 here right??

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

As I said you kids today have no idea.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Captaincy to be announced tomorrow morning 9.30am press conference
Nick R and Archie attending.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:As I said you kids today have no idea.

riiiight, I aint no kid, but anyway. Given the aboce post, looks like NR it is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Lenny for Capt...why? Because I said so and really that's all that needs to be said on the matter.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Being captain of St Kilda Football Club meaningless, just a title?

You people need to find another team to support.

Tell Baldock, Barker, Frawley, Harvey and all the great Captains we have had that it is meaningless and see what sort of reply you get from them.

You kids today have no idea.
Mate, the game has moved on and evolved, move with it or get left behind...
a single captain on such a massive field just isn't enough, you need leadership all over the ground and that is what we have, giving the title to one player wont make a difference to how any of them act, even if we didn't name a captain at all it wouldn't matter.
Being captain of a club is every kids dream growing up but as sad as it is, captaincy really just isn't that important anymore...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
karnak
Club Player

Of course being the captain is important FFS.

It is the link between the coaching staff and the players. He will hold the cup high late in September. he will rally the troops in times of need. he will put everything on the line for the best of the team. he will take no prisoners. He will do what needs to be done to inspire those around him to do the same.

I am only young (25) but i totally believe in having a captain. Yeah have a leadership group so that you get leadership across the field (okay the broad leadership thing covered now given the game has changed so much ra ra ra, and all of that bollocks)

The point is at 3/4 time when the coach has run back up to the box cause his time is up..... The captain, the true onfield leader brings the boys into a huddle whilst 8 points down in the GF. He tells the players what they need to hear to finish the job. I dont' want Roo and Lenny wondering who is responsible for making that speech. It needs to be natural and expected. Choose the captain! It is super important.

Rant Over.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

title edited as it could have been interpreted as an annoncement being made

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the captain is an important role and as much as GT with his rotating policy did bring out the leadership quallities in a multitude of players it did tarnish the history of our captains and made it almost an australian Idol text the players name like role then the glorious role it should be

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/