saints window closed ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saints window closed ...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403101

... say many in this big footy thread. it seems many don't rate us and, imo, this gives us an excellent chance to fly under the radar in 2008.

RL should use stuff like this to get our guys going. to prick their competitive instincts.

that geelong has a flag and we don't must burn in the guts of all our young stars. i know it infuriates me

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

i actually think its a decent thread, some good opinions on eitehr side, but IMHO (trying bloodu hard not to be TOO biased here!) the posters who say no, the window is not closed, generally seem to give more of a reason.

the ones who say yes are usually bitter carlton fans or bulldogs supporters who are still trying to get ahead of us in Victoria's best team list.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

no way is it closed

the core group is still young as and can only get better

in addition our trades over the past few years have and will give us a much needed boost...we have topped up it seems...but not on crap this time around

i truly believe this and am not biased...i think

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Open and close your own window.

Look at Geelong ffs.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's great, we MAKE the windows (and doors) now, so they can be open whenever we feel like it.

ark
Club Player

People like things to be simple - "open and shut". Hence the notion of "windows" that open and close appeal to them. Simplifying thing helps them make sense of life. Its an analogy that's been taken too far (like the premiership clock)

We have a very good chance of winning a premiership over the next few years. Likfe doesn't proceed inorderly cycles.

There is no window..

quidnunc
Club Player

For ark sake Ark ... of course there's a window ... I'm looking out one now!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Geelong's window was shut this time last year.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
RBnW
Club Player

quidnunc wrote:For ark sake Ark ... of course there's a window ... I'm looking out one now!
window is open firmly open, the key being the ruck and the medical staff...we now have King, Gardiner both training well, back up of Rix and Kosi, Blake if needed.....young ruck stocks of Van Reenhan and McEvoy 2 or 3 year projects.....and Misson and his team to get the team fit and keep them fit....Never had that level of professionalism in the club....that is why the window is open and will be for a while...add to that the average age and agerage games of the total group.....and add to that the result of the trade week....3 premiership players, two of them being 23 years of age......they others can say what they want.....we are a big chance this year.....and no self destrution by loose lips in the media......Ross the Boss will deliver........ :D

Our best is yet
to come......
markp
Saintsational Legend

At least if the window is closed we don't have to worry about keeping a lid on it... and there's always the front door (or the chimney ho ho ho!).

If we address our fitness problems (as we seem to be doing -Misson was a huge get), a few guys step up, a few keep improving, and we get input from our fresh imports and returning guns then of course we're a massive show.

Comments by Roo and the like seem to indicate a major inner resolve too.

Make the finals with a healthy list to choose from (luck + management) and I wouldn't want to be in our way! We could crash anyones party... look at what the pies nearly did to Geelong.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote:It's great, we MAKE the windows (and doors) now, so they can be open whenever we feel like it.
A big thanks to

Huzzad
Club Player

lol all this talk of windows shortly after our new signing with Jeld Wen has the puns running wild in my head!

As for the "window", I don't think it is closed, but I reckon 08 might be the last chance. Harvey's last season, possibly the G-Trains too if his body doesn't hold out. We could lose alot of players at the end of next season through retirement and possibly long-term injury. So while I don't think it is closed, I think this might be our last chance with the squad as big as it is. Our players are getting older and older and we will need to start building a strong youth team again. So maybe not closed yet, but I fear it is not far off.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
aussiejones
Club Player

" I reckon 08 might be the last chance" " Our players are getting older and older" What the .....#@@#@

Each year is an evolving list ....IMO we will be stronger in 2008
and with a better fittness base , better return in goal scoring, a coach with more experience and knowledge of what the boys are capable of ......then who knows .

Every year is a new deal

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lol, pissa the core group are between 23-24....
We have more then enough time as a group, but we only have one (??) more year with the great man, a Harveyless flag would seem hollow IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Huzzad
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:" I reckon 08 might be the last chance" " Our players are getting older and older" What the .....#@@#@

Each year is an evolving list ....IMO we will be stronger in 2008
and with a better fittness base , better return in goal scoring, a coach with more experience and knowledge of what the boys are capable of ......then who knows .

Every year is a new deal
Well they are getting older. Not saying young teams are better teams but look at the quality we will lose over the next 2-3 years, Harvey, Maxy, King, maybe Hayes (he's 28 right?) not to mention who we might lose from injuries, trades and lack of form. I am just saying compared to our near success in 2004 when we had a young, strong team win 10 in a row and playing in prelims, now we are a much older and a more vulnerable side as we saw in 07. That is all. My only concern is there isn't that many young players coming up to fill the spots these greats will leave. Our draft picks are still to play games for sure, but there's only a few players on our rookie list I can see playing more than 50 games. This is just what I am saying. Even your name sake retired early.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
spert
Saintsational Legend

Geerlong had strength and consistancy in most positions over the field this season -not just a few erratic stars and then a big gap to a half a dozen plodders. We have to get that balance right, and I think it is heading in the right direction under RL