Should we Relocate to the Gold Coast?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Picture the AFL in 20 years.

Will it matter where we play?

The game and everything about it is so different to what I grew up with 20 years ago, that alot of the reasons for wanting to remain in Melbourne are barely valid now - let alone in 20 years the way the game is going.

What's the same about the Saints now and the Saints 20 years ago?

Anyway, if we did ever decide to move, the following would become interesting. It's an exert from an article when the Saints agreed to move to Moorabbin in '64........

"The expectation was that the Moorabbin Football Club, the occupier of the Linton Street oval and the winner of a Victorian Football Association premiership flag the previous year, would amalgamate with the Saints. The new team would be known as the St Kilda – Moorabbin Football Club for ten years, after which time the St Kilda part of the title would be dropped. Cr Don Bricker, the president of the Moorabbin club was cautiously optimistic about the new developments but many Moorabbin members feared that their club would lose its identity. In fact, the naming provision was later dropped as the St Kilda constitution expressly prohibited a club name change without gaining the agreement of three quarters of its membership, an impossible target."

bob__71
Club Player

I say go for it. 5 or 6 mil...$30 per spectator profit. Draft concessions...sign up for five years...then move to the next big thing and take the incentives from there....permanent location is outdated...and holding us back.

RooandKosi
Club Player

The gold coast is a hell hole full off drug dealers and new zealanders ho love rugby. thats a big fat NO.

But I do agree with what you are saying maybe we could move to TASSIE?? or SYDNEY??? Certainly not that tryhard hollywood gayass of a own the gold coast what a joke the people and the city are there!! :evil:

I would no longer support the saints if we moved there :cry:

we wouldnt move to the coast as we are finacially kicking arse and have for some reason great supporter base. Kangas should move there hope they do and next the doggies will move to sydney watch for that.

Saint 58
Club Player

objectively, yes let's go, it makes sense, but no F***ing way !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great post rodgerfox......interesting how it gets an airing on here without being shouted down due to our failure to win a flag over the past few years....

Anyway, back in 2002 I emailed RB re relocating the Saints to Brisbane as a second team up there....this was before the Gold Coast was firmly on the AFL radar as it is now.....back then, it made a lot of sense for us being in so much debt, so little success onfield and very few members.

A lot has changed since then, but our club is at massive risk of financial disaster if we languish down the bottom reaches of the ladder for a few years.

Our asset base is only about $5M, and our earnings outside footy are hardly sufficient to sustain us through a rough trot.

My heart says a big "NO" and keep us in Melbourne, but reality is we are forced by the AFL to play where they want us....let's face it, North are effectively being forced to the Gold Coast, whichever way you look at it.

10 years down the track, who knows what teams are next on the AFL radar for Tassie (likely Hawks), then North QLD, Western Sydney and perhaps a third team in S.A. and W.A.

Where do we fit in to the long term AFL relocation plan of Melbourne Clubs???

I'm sure we are on that radar at some point.....

Perhaps we should dodge the bullett soon and move before being pushed/forced etc......but not right now, let the Roos take on the Gold Coast and good luck to them, the next opportunity in 5 or 10 years (probably 10 years from now) could be a serious consideration though.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

RooandKosi wrote:
The gold coast is a hell hole full off drug dealers and new zealanders ho love rugby. thats a big fat NO.

Its also full of expat Victorians, which is exactly why Dimwit and his mob want a full time team based there.

eppo67
Club Player

Agree DUGGIE and I live here too.

Is this a joke. I grew up in Melbourne (Mentone) and have lived on the GC for the last 8 years. GC is a great place most people think of Surfers Paradise which couldn't be further from what the GC is really like. Most Gold Coasters hardly ever go to Surfers. I have been there a handful of times and I have lived here for 8 years. I think the Kangaroos should keep playing 4 to 5 games here a year.

Saints are the only AFL team based south of the Yarra am I right on that?

So that being the case if we cant completely clean up that area and have at least a 50,000 plus membership base something is really wrong IMO.

And that my friends will never ever happen on the Gold Coast. Saints need to stay at Moorabbin build a Multi Million dollar elite training/leagues club stlye facility and watch the membership grow. They have a captive audience south of the Yarra FFS.

Work that Footy First FFS. Marketing. Marketing Marketing. And watch the brand grow.

karnaby
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
karnaby wrote: largely because of the number of people/supporters/members it would disenfranchise
Do you think that the 'average' supporter is pretty disenfranchised anyway?
:lol: , a little bit, frequently treated as a good source of revenue, which from a personal perspective I don't mind, however not THAT disenfranchised.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't be the Saints any more in my mind. Would just be another AFL franchise bereft of history. Does anyone really consider the Brisbane Lions to have a strong connection to the Fitzroy Football Club? Sydney to be South Melbourne any more?
If you move the club to the GC and take away the name St.Kilda Football Club, that has existed since 1873, then the STKFC will cease to exist.
It'll be just another marketing driven franchise worthy of the scorn we currently reserve for the AFL's love children, Sydney, Brisbane and Collingwood.
I would no longer have more than a dispassionate interest.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:The LA Saints
According to the exert I posted above, it's in our constitution that the name St.Kilda must stay - unless 3/4 of our members agree that it can be changed.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good deal for the roos.....

"AFL splurges to tempt Roos

Caroline Wilson | November 2, 2007

THE AFL has vowed to pay out the Kangaroos' $4.25 million debt and spend a further $3 million buying out its shareholders as part of the Gold Coast relocation package to be laid out today in further detail to the club.

Having set a deadline of December 1 to decide the future of the North Melbourne Football Club, negotiations between the league and the Kangaroos Gold Coast subcommittee were scheduled to begin in earnest today.

With Kangaroos directors virtually split 50-50 regarding the move north, board members Andrew Carter and Stephen Head scheduled talks today at AFL headquarters with the AFL's Gill McLachlan and his Gold Coast team.

Not only has the AFL vowed to plough millions of dollars to underwrite the Kangaroos' potential move, its package, while still not completed, is also expected to include:

■A written guarantee of between seven and eight home-and-away games in Melbourne.

■A special deal for the club's Melbourne members.

■A promise to ensure the club's on-field success in the short-term via priority picks, further potential to pick up uncontracted players and a Gold Coast zone.

■Continuing support of Arden Street as a permanent Melbourne training base for the club and the wider community.

■State-of-the art training facilities and an AFL-funded marketing team to promote the team in the increasingly tough Gold Coast market.

The multimillion-dollar investment in establishing a team on the Gold Coast also includes the redevelopment of Carrara — still the AFL's preferred venue — with more than $300 million and a stadium deal based on Geelong's Skilled Stadium model, in which the Cats profit to the tune of $30 a spectator.

With the board still divided and apparently controlled by maverick shareholders, the AFL Commission also is considering a series of legal options in the event the club's private ownership structure stands in the way of a decision to move north.

One concern is shareholder Peter de Rauch's repeated claim to stakeholders that he has a major controlling influence despite strict rules of governance preventing any one shareholder from controlling more than 10 per cent of the shares.

However, the Gold Coast advisory group has reiterated its warning to the league that any decision to transport an unwilling or divided club would be fraught with risk. While Kangaroos directors yesterday were pointing fingers at the AFL, accusing it of failing to provide key financial details of the proposed relocation, McLachlan said the club was fully aware of its options. "We've presented a package to them and we've provided them with the broad outline of what's involved," said McLachlan, who travelled to the Gold Coast for meetings last week. "The details are not really the issue. The issue is whether or not they decide to establish a home on the Gold Coast and those talks are continuing.

"We want the Kangaroos to be positive and willing about moving. We certainly don't want to push them if they don't want to go."

With member-elected director James Brayshaw likely to preside over the club from December in the event of a "no" vote to relocation, Brayshaw's board colleague Ron Joseph has continued to muster support for the status quo, calling on former coach Denis Pagan and retired champion Glenn Archer to join the board.

However, even Archer and Pagan have conceded in interviews this week that the club's survival in Melbourne is not certain and have called for more time. Archer said the decision should be put off for two years while the Kangaroos tried to make a fist of it from their traditional home.

But the AFL will reiterate to Carter and Head today that it needs a decision before the end of the year, and while it did not rule out extending the 30-day deadline agreed to by both parties, it seems clear a 17th club is a real possibility.

Key AFL administrators and directors past and present have tentatively put up their hands to play a role in the establishment of a new team should the Kangaroos knock back the AFL's package.

Today's talks come as de Rauch continued to accuse the AFL of bluffing in its stated intent to establish a 17th team on the Gold Coast should the Kangaroos knock back the AFL's package. He also attacked club chief executive Rick Aylett — whom he had supported strongly at the start of the season.

De Rauch, despite being removed from the North Melbourne board, remains closely aligned with his former opponent in member-elected director Joseph and has vowed to use his shares to retain the club in Melbourne.

Another key shareholder, Bob Ansett, who favoured the fly-in-fly-out model, also has refused to sell his shares and yet, like de Rauch, has not contributed money to the club since the original float.

While the AFL has not directly threatened to withdraw its funding from the club, the Kangaroos would lose their Gold Coast match revenue — $1.6 million in 2008 — and have no guarantee that the special assistance from the AFL would continue.'

it worries the sh!t out of me....the afl would also move heaven and earth to get them a marque player...someone like roo....a local......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
FullMonty
Club Player

Having moved home from Melb close to Moorabbin to regoinal Vic I did not stop following the saints.
My love of the team has not dimished.
They could be based anywhere in the country and I would still follow the saints so why not the gold coast.
Think about the AFL actually backing us to win a flag in the next 5 years.
The umpires could comment on flights how they helped us out too for all I care. :P :P 8-)

Montyrules!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

moving to the gold coast is not necessarily a recipe for success....

....hasn't done much for the homeless wanderers .....

'Of the club's 22,366 members, less than 1800 live on the Gold Coast, where the club played three home games this year. The peak figure for the ACT, where a similar deal operated until this year, was just over 1500.'

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I am appalled and absolutely disgusted by those even consdiering this as a good idea! WTF is wrong with you people? Have you no damn pride?

Can you seriously tell me winning a flag up there would have anywhere near the same feeling as winning it in our current situation? Your willing to strap the SOUL of the club to a stake and friggin BURN it alive are you? For a flag...

Be happy to 7 -8 games you can go SEE instead of the 17 or so , just like we will have in 2008?

We have fought back from adversity in the 70's and 80's and early this century, to build a very solid foundation to build on. Just when things are looking up and ok to build further, you as a "supporter" think "yeah, might be good to pull up digs and go up to sleepy hollow in the sun", what utter total garbage.

Seriously, this really worries me. No financial advantage, draft picks money is worth that!! FFS!! :evil:

I WANT to WIN a FLAG on OUR OWN hard work! Not handouts and molly coddling by the inept corrupt bunch of dimwits at the AFL.

Moving from home here in Melbourne would destroy me. Winning a FLAG up there would mean ZERO to me. Would not be my team, my team would be dead and buried.

Aint likely to happen so Im not actually worried about it at all, however some of you "supporters" concern me deeply.

Some things in football are not to be quashed by the relentless march of progression in sport and its surrounding and ever changing markets! Your PRIDE in your team, its history, its origin. You do NOT f*** with that, PERIOD.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
Some things in football are not to be quashed by the relentless march of progression in sport and its surrounding and ever changing markets! Your PRIDE in your team, its history, its origin. You do NOT f*** with that, PERIOD.

amen brother, amen......

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we were in the Kangaroos situation, then yes. They are doomed in Melbourne and will not be able to survive once the AFL cuts off the assistance.

But right now we are a pretty strong club both on field and financially, and chosing to move to the Gold Coast now would just rip the heart out of our most loyal supporters.

Objectively it would be a good move for the club.

Priority picks, AFL-funded training facilities, home ground advantage (and being used to playing in Melbourne), our own recruiting zone, ability to pick up uncontracted players and general AFL bias that new interstate teams get would guarantee us a couple of premierships. We would probably get extra salary cap room for "living expenses" too.

If the Kangaroos re-group and don't move while we fall to bits with more injuries, crap recruiting and poor administration then I would much rather us move to the Gold Coast than fold or merge.

I find it incredibly sad that teams that have been in the competition for decades and even centuries are being shown absolutely no loyalty of respect by the league. The AFL is now 100% a business and not a sporting competition. It is financially stable right now, but the administration feels that it is absolutely necessary to constantly grow and become more powerful rather than just run a popular competition and put on a great show for the fans.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Terrific post mad saint guy.

One of your best.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Barney2
Club Player

I feel sick.
Gold coast. get real. We have too many supporters and would never move. Roos have no members compared to us and we are debt free. Roos aren't. They are 4.5 mill in debt. We have too many members
Stop this nonsense.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I am appalled and absolutely disgusted by those even consdiering this as a good idea! WTF is wrong with you people? Have you no damn pride?

Can you seriously tell me winning a flag up there would have anywhere near the same feeling as winning it in our current situation? Your willing to strap the SOUL of the club to a stake and friggin BURN it alive are you? For a flag...

Be happy to 7 -8 games you can go SEE instead of the 17 or so , just like we will have in 2008?

We have fought back from adversity in the 70's and 80's and early this century, to build a very solid foundation to build on. Just when things are looking up and ok to build further, you as a "supporter" think "yeah, might be good to pull up digs and go up to sleepy hollow in the sun", what utter total garbage.

Seriously, this really worries me. No financial advantage, draft picks money is worth that!! FFS!! :evil:

I WANT to WIN a FLAG on OUR OWN hard work! Not handouts and molly coddling by the inept corrupt bunch of dimwits at the AFL.

Moving from home here in Melbourne would destroy me. Winning a FLAG up there would mean ZERO to me. Would not be my team, my team would be dead and buried.

Aint likely to happen so Im not actually worried about it at all, however some of you "supporters" concern me deeply.

Yep IWMS, agree completely with you. Flag on the Gold Coast, big deal. Makes me want toturn my back on the AFl and the Saints. Wouldn't be STKFC any more, just some trumped up franchise.

casey scorp
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Where do we fit in to the long term AFL relocation plan of Melbourne Clubs???

I'm sure we are on that radar at some point.....

Perhaps we should dodge the bullett soon and move before being pushed/forced etc......but not right now, let the Roos take on the Gold Coast and good luck to them, the next opportunity in 5 or 10 years (probably 10 years from now) could be a serious consideration though.
Where we fit in that mix is the outer south-east of Melbourne - the fastest growing region in Victoria. Casey Fields.

We can't mark time and wait "5 or 10 years (probably 10 years from now)" for the next opportunity - we need first class training facilities now.

We are certainly on the radar, and we have the opportunity to get in at Casey Fields on the ground floor. The complex is being primed for an AFL club - there was an Essendon v Hawthorn game there earlier this year (over 10,000 spectators), and there'll be another NAB match there next year. I'm not saying that a team will play home matches at Casey Fields - just that the complex is being promoted, and it will fit the mix of distribution of club training/admin bases.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Can you seriously tell me winning a flag up there would have anywhere near the same feeling as winning it in our current situation? Your willing to strap the SOUL of the club to a stake and friggin BURN it alive are you? For a flag...
What is our current sitution?

The AFL owns the soul of all clubs. Anyone who thinks otherwise is, well, mistaken.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Should we Relocate to the Gold Coast?
No, just no...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

For the no people put your hand up now so that when the Northern Roos become financially secure and playing in multiple finals and are starting a dynasty like the Bears/Lions threepeate, dont you dare say that should have been us.

My time with the Saints goes back to the old Moorabbin days, Ross Smith Carl Dietrich, Barry Breen etc. They were good days :) I embraced the move to Waverley, great facilities, MUCH better ground, and you always got a seat, but the social club died a sorry death. The same goes for the move to Docklands, but it is a soulless modern facility, and sadly, even tho it is our home ground it does not hold quirks that give it a winning edge like the gabba(humidity) SCG (size) Geelong(wind) AAMI(wind and crowd)
Another move will be on the cards for us in the next 5 years unless a bomb hits the current Kingston council....? Is it likely that we have the money to go it alone & build when most Vic clubs are struggling to keep afloat.
Our membership base, while good, is not strong enough to guarantee our survival like carlton, collingwood, essendon, and has proved to have a fair proportion of band wagon followers.

I now live in QLD, but the club moving north will not mean I suddenly like the Saints more, Carrara will still be a six hour round trip. It does not worry me either way. What concerns me the most is what the club does that will secure us into the future 10-20 years from now.
Will the "Sunshine Saints" be a success and melbourne supporters drop away? Dont know
What I do know is that there will be less teams in melbourne in 10-20 years. And what guarantees do we have that the saints will not be one them?

Seeya
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would rather finish 9th every year for the rest of my life in Victoria then win multiple flags interstate.
If we did move to QLD I would change clubs, simple as that.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!