Who should be captain in 2008?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who should be captain in 2008?

Three captains: Riewoldt, Hayes and Ball
8%
Co-captains: Riewoldt and Hayes
7%
Co-captains: Riewoldt and Ball
3%
Co-captains: Ball and Hayes
No votes
Nick Riewoldt
39%
Lenny Hayes
32%
Luke Ball
2%
Robert Harvey
3%
Justin Koschitzke
4%
Nick Dal Santo
1%
Other (please indicate below)
2%

Total votes: 103

Iratedebate
Club Player

Definitely Lenny for me

Quixote
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:As far as i'm concerned, after Riewoldts B&F speech, nobody else at the club should be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the captaincy. That kind of honesty and will to change is desperately what we need instead of the "oh the list is fine Raph Clarke will be a champion" attitude that gets us absolutely nowhere.

Riewoldt should be captain.
First time you've said anything that has made sense

Concur

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
brown-coat wrote:As far as i'm concerned, after Riewoldts B&F speech, nobody else at the club should be allowed ANYWHERE NEAR the captaincy. That kind of honesty and will to change is desperately what we need instead of the "oh the list is fine Raph Clarke will be a champion" attitude that gets us absolutely nowhere.

On - Field Leadership anyone?

Riewoldt = Absolutely none of it.

Hayes all the WAY.

Like your posts mate but W - T - F ?

That kid bleeds

He is the natural leader of the STKFC

Lenny is as tough as guts, but let me tell ya Roo's your fella who will hold a cup aloft

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Hayes all the WAY.

That kid bleeds

Lenny is as tough as guts, but let me tell ya Roo's your fella who will hold a cup aloft
How far do we have to go back BTW?

Last minute of the Dogs game?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Hayes all the WAY.

That kid bleeds

...Obviously saying Riewoldt has 'zero' leadership on the field is an exaggeration.

Its Riewoldt's aggression on the field that lets him down. Lets face it, he isnt the inspirational match winner like Wayne Carey or Jon Brown....but his lack of physical and mental presence isnt what I like in a captain.

Players like Lenny fit the above to a tee....yet, is much the opposite leader/ambassator for the club when compared to Riewoldt.

Which probably summarises the reason for co-captains this year.

loriswa
Club Player

Lenny demonstrates leadership on the field....maybe not as eye catching as Roo in his play.

Just watch Lenny (more evident in his year as sole captain) but also noticeable this year when he started to run into fitness and form.

When the ball has gone further into play and he is not there in play he runs back to a player where play has come from with a few words (of advice/encouragement/blast - my interpretation ofcourse) then he runs on with the play.

So far I haven't noticed Roo apart from pats on the bum to Fraser, Milne, Hamill(when he was on the field) or mainly players on the forward line, by really egging on players. Maybe its because of the position Roo plays where he can only lead by example with his endeavour on the field(which is bloody inspiring at times) .

But to my mind over the last few years apart from Hammil's efforts. Lenny is the only one on field that seems to be able to be wholistic in his approach.
The last saint I really saw that had this ability on field - to play his own game and focus on teammates games was Nathan Burke....he was a gem at when the time was right, moving back to a player with a rev up or word of advice. Michael Voss was another that had this skill, to be able to focus on teamates efforts in the heat of battle then get on with his own game.

Lenny on the field to me is leader...... naturally I don't know what his off field capabilities are.

Roo likes the media and talks the talk when it focus on him.... maybe that's the go today...who knows...not me :?

But I lean to Lendog...then I wouldn't discount and inspirational player such as Roo.

The Peanut
Club Player

I was tossing up between Lenny and Roo when I did this poll but after watching Roo take the stage on Friday night he proved to me that he certainly has extremely strong leadership qualities off the field.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
nabby7 wrote:so
is this out of jst curiosity
or are we going back to the one el capitano now?
Based on Riewoldt's speech at the B&F the other night, coupled with the way he has matured and is the commanding presence at St Kilda now, many have called for him to be sole captain.
agree 100%

Before the B&F speech I was thinking Goddard was the man for the job, given his natural leadership style of play and overall playing ability, but Rooey has knocked all other contenders/pretenders for six IMO.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

How can you say Riewoldt lacks on-field leadership?

Did you watch the last quarter of the Dogs game, when his second and third efforts were some of the strongest mentally I have seen?

He willed his team that night like no player I have seen in St Kilda colours since Rob Harvey in the 2005 QF.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Well i was on the bandwagon for lenny as sole captain however after Nick's speech at the b&f, his contribution to the club and he seems to have matured etc... i, too have converted to Nick being the future of the saints! I think maybe have 3 captains has caused confussion and disunity... maybe by having a sole captain will lead to a strong, unified team on the field!

Go saints in '09!
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Lenny Hayes by a mile.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
The Peanut
Club Player

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:Well i was on the bandwagon for lenny as sole captain however after Nick's speech at the b&f, his contribution to the club and he seems to have matured etc... i, too have converted to Nick being the future of the saints! I think maybe have 3 captains has caused confussion and disunity... maybe by having a sole captain will lead to a strong, unified team on the field!
Yep, GW's and RL's speaches were pretty good but as they are both new they probably didn't want to sound too 'cocky' but Roo took the bull by the horns and very confidently and articulately told it how it is!

Great speach and leadership written all over it.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

The Peanut wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:Well i was on the bandwagon for lenny as sole captain however after Nick's speech at the b&f, his contribution to the club and he seems to have matured etc... i, too have converted to Nick being the future of the saints! I think maybe have 3 captains has caused confussion and disunity... maybe by having a sole captain will lead to a strong, unified team on the field!
Yep, GW's and RL's speaches were pretty good but as they are both new they probably didn't want to sound too 'cocky' but Roo took the bull by the horns and very confidently and articulately told it how it is!

Great speach and leadership written all over it.
yea hearing the blatant truth from a player at our club who is guttered that the saints arent able to perform to get the cup! rather than hearing it from the "blow-ins" and hearing it from our co-captain and how honest he was.... accepting the truth rather than making excuses will definitely help the club to get into a better position than it is!

Go saints in '09!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I voted for Lenny Hayes - no way would I say that Riewoldt doesn't show on-field leadership though :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

who has the most influence among the players? on-field I'd say roo, judging from the way they kick it to him even when he's got two or three guys on him.

obviously he commands respect from the other men out there ... a natural on-field leader. off-field, i don't know. i'm not privvy to the inner chemistry of the playing group, so i wouldn't make a call on that.

we're lucky to have so many good candidates. kosi, hayes, ball, i'm sure, would all make a good fist of it

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:How can you say Riewoldt lacks on-field leadership?

Did you watch the last quarter of the Dogs game, when his second and third efforts were some of the strongest mentally I have seen?

He willed his team that night like no player I have seen in St Kilda colours since Rob Harvey in the 2005 QF.

J Brown would have kicked that goal.

Agression is where its at....And Lenny is the man with it.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:How can you say Riewoldt lacks on-field leadership?

J Brown would have kicked that goal.

Agression is where its at....And Lenny is the man with it.
Brown wouldn't have run that hard for that long to even be in that position let alone have the fitness to be able to make the distance.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Nick Reiwoldt

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Jason Gram

(C'mon - you KNEW this was coming :wink: )

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

spinner were you one of the fools calling for us to trade roo at the start of the year ??

my god man get real
Roo is the one player who gives 110% to the game he leads from the front a capt. doenst need to be a thug to be a good captain
Roo isnt the nicest blokes at the club when it comes to fans compaired to Lenny but theres no doubt the players hold him in high regard so Roo is the sole capt .

funny how in the poll poor old bally doesnt get much support as sole captain

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
killa_gram
Club Player

Lenny by a country mile.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:spinner were you one of the fools calling for us to trade roo at the start of the year ??

my god man get real
Roo is the one player who gives 110% to the game he leads from the front a capt. doenst need to be a thug to be a good captain
Roo isnt the nicest blokes at the club when it comes to fans compaired to Lenny but theres no doubt the players hold him in high regard so Roo is the sole capt .

Your an idiot.

That line has absolutely no substance. Don't ever try and link me with irrelevant posts/opinions were never associated with me.

This is exactly the bulls*** tone and utter crap within your posts that cements the opinion that your a dick head.

& most of all - Dont ever call me a fool and put words in my mouth again.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:spinner were you one of the fools calling for us to trade roo at the start of the year ??

my god man get real

Your an idiot.

That line has absolutely no substance. Don't ever try and link me with irrelevant posts/opinions were never associated with me.

This is exactly the bulls*** tone and utter crap within your posts that cements the opinion that your a dick head.

where did i call you a fool ? where did i put words into your mouth i asked if you were one of the fools i never said you were as for my tone Im sorry i didn’t know you could give off a tone in typing
just because i don’t agree with what you say does that make me and idiot ?? and cause i ask a legitimate question Im a d**khead ?? get over your self spinner like i care what you think about me and my posts

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Spinner wrote:

my god man get real

Your an idiot.

where did i call you a fool ? where did i put words into your mouth i asked if you were one of the fools i never said you were as for my tone Im sorry i didn’t know you could give off a tone in typing
just because i don’t agree with what you say does that make me and idiot ?? and cause i ask a legitimate question Im a d**khead ?? get over your self spinner like i care what you think about me and my posts
I know you 'asked' the question. But as I said don't even associate me with opinions that were absolutely not mine.

Your an idiot for asking me whether I said that. NOT because you disagreed with my opinion.

St Trav of WA, WERE you one of those who wanted Luke Ball traded because you believed that he just didnt work hard enough, blaming injuries instead? If YOU were then shame on you....what a disgraceful opinion.

See what I mean?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
I know you 'asked' the question. But as I said don't even associate me with opinions that were absolutely not mine.

Your an idiot for asking me whether I said that. NOT because you disagreed with my opinion.

St Trav of WA, WERE you one of those who wanted Luke Ball traded because you believed that he just didnt work hard enough, blaming injuries instead? If YOU were then shame on you....what a disgraceful opinion.

See what I mean?
not really no i dont see how its wrong to ask if you were one of the trade Roo fools when you make outlandish claims like Roo has no leadership quallities

as for the luke ball part to your post you could spout that all you want cause anyone who reads my posts would know that that i would not trade luke ball for anyone