We're not in turmoil or civil war - Let's get that clear

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We're not in turmoil or civil war - Let's get that clear

A message to the media, supporters and everyone in the football community.

This is not a club in crisis. Not one iota.

We're a club currently deciding on which path of action to take. Nothing more.

So stop portraying us as a bitter, divided club - that's your choice of words to try and destabilise us.

We'll be the ones who judge the situation.

Can I also say that I speak purely as a supporter, and not as anything else on this matter.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:35am, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Well said.........................some calm amongst the hysteria

:P

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Or calm before the storm... who knows.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Or calm before the storm... who knows.
Re-read the original post.

The club is not in turmoil. Just because we've reached a juncture where we need to make a choice about our future doesn't mean we're in crisis.

If changes need to be made, make them. But that's not 'turmoil'.

If a changing of the guard is required, so be it. But that's not 'turmoil'.

I believe the club can get out of its current predicament, without turmoil. If the new ticket gets up, I'm confident they'll do it with intentions of making things right and correcting past wrongs.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

quidnunc
Club Player

from the dictionary:

turmoil - disturbance usually in protest

hullabaloo, upheaval, agitation, excitement, disturbance - the act of disturbing something or someone; setting something in motion

Sorry to contradict Evertonfc but if we don't even have any turmoil at the club I'd hate to see us in a full scale crisis! Holy cow!

Anyway looking on the bright side the glass is still half full.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:Anyway looking on the bright side the glass is still half full.
to me...yours looks 3/4 full

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Not turmoil? Really? :?

A board challange including disgruntled former players and with the implicit backing of current board members played out all over the media is not my idea of stability ...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
battye wrote:Or calm before the storm... who knows.
Re-read the original post.

The club is not in turmoil. Just because we've reached a juncture where we need to make a choice about our future doesn't mean we're in crisis.

If changes need to be made, make them. But that's not 'turmoil'.

If a changing of the guard is required, so be it. But that's not 'turmoil'.

I believe the club can get out of its current predicament, without turmoil. If the new ticket gets up, I'm confident they'll do it with intentions of making things right and correcting past wrongs.
Would you say that if another club lost both major sponsors and the had a board challenge with a current player and board member invovled.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're not in turmoil or civil war - Let's get that clear

evertonfc wrote:A message to the media, supporters and everyone in the football community.

So stop portraying us as a bitter, divided club - that's your choice of words to try and destabilise us.

Can I also say that I speak purely as a supporter, and not as anything else on this matter.
Absolutely spot on.

I've said this in other posts -

Will anyone not buy a membership because of this?

Will players not re-sign because of it?

Will we not be able to recruit new players becuase of it?

Will we lose sponsorship over it?

The answer to all of the above is No.

So where is the issue? Why is it an 'implosion' as the press are trying to portray?

It's the off-season, it's the best possible time to do it.

The only way it could be any better is it Butterss simply stands down.

That would be the best thing for the club.

Would have been 12 months ago.

Krikkett
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:A message to the media, supporters and everyone in the football community.

Mate, I reckon you need to take off your blindfold...or at least your rose coloured glasses.

- We have a divided board and a challege led by a couple of ex-club champions.

- We have lost two major sponsors and could be without a naming rights sponsor for 08.

- We have, without a doubt, failed on the footy field this year. We should definetly have been playing finals.

If these three points are not causing 'turmoil' then the club must be full ofa Zen Buddhist monks on tranquilisers.

*edit* ...and if you want to see how divided we are, just look at the members of this forum. Half of them want GT back, some of them want RL sacked. Some are supporting the challenge to the board, some aren't...and most of the discussion is very, very bitter.

All things being equal, fat men use more soap.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Krikkett wrote:

Mate, I reckon you need to take off your blindfold...or at least your rose coloured glasses.

- We have lost two major sponsors and could be without a naming rights sponsor for 08.

- We have, without a doubt, failed on the footy field this year. We should definetly have been playing finals.

If these three points are not causing 'turmoil' then the club must be full ofa Zen Buddhist monks on tranquilisers.

*edit* ...and if you want to see how divided we are, just look at the members of this forum. Half of them want GT back, some of them want RL sacked. Some are supporting the challenge to the board, some aren't...and most of the discussion is very, very bitter.

Surely if all of the above is the case, it's imperative that the Board is taken to task?

Krikkett
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Krikkett wrote:

Surely if all of the above is the case, it's imperative that the Board is taken to task?
I agree with you.

My personal opinion, and one that isn't very popular with some people, is that the Saints need a very, very big overhall. We've lived with a losing culture for long enough.

Persisting with things the way they are is as useful as John Howard following George Bush deeper into Iraq. We've had some modicum of success...but it's the 'prelims are close enough' kind of thinking that is costing us.

We need more than a board change, we need a culture change. The board may be just the start. Burke and Tommo might well be the start of it all...not that I'm supporting their move nor their methods by the way.

We have to remember that the Saints exist to WIN football games. Not for the board, not the coaching staff but for the fans.

All things being equal, fat men use more soap.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Huge turmoil and a huge split in the offing here.

STKFC is going, once again into crisis mode.

Make no mistake there is going to be a huge fallout from this and it is.

If that is good or bad in the long run cannot be judged at the moment.

Only the gullible will believe that this is not going to split the club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

as i have said before...you are fast becoming the voice of reason around here...... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

as i have said before...you are fast becoming the voice of reason around here...... :wink: :lol:
Shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

Doesn't matter what anyone says, the place is about to go into meltdown in the best traditions of the STKFC.

It what being permanent losers does to the supporters psyche.

The momentum has started, no stopping the blood letting now. :wink:

However a new board will mean diddly squat when the ball is bounce in 08. Its just something to keep our interest over summer :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Leo.J
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
stinger wrote:

Shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

Doesn't matter what anyone says, the place is about to go into meltdown in the best traditions of the STKFC.

It what being permanent losers does to the supporters psyche.

The momentum has started, no stopping the blood letting now. :wink:

However a new board will mean diddly squat when the ball is bounce in 08. Its just something to keep our interest over summer :D
How else is the club going to achieve the change it needs to improve to where we need to be?

The board IMO has underperformed, compared to our relative onfield success. They have had a golden opportunity with our TV exposure and success to improve our position yet they haven't, we appear to have gone backward on-field and off, and one could argue that our off-field management has had an impact on our on field success.

From what I've seen so far the so called rebels couldn't do any worse than the incumbents, IMO the mix of explayer and business is what should constitute a footy club board.

They have my vote so far, I haven't liked RB well before the GT sacking, yet back then it appeared he was doing a reasonable job.

However now, I still don't like him, and we don't have a major sponsor, we don't have a home, every time we get shafted by the AFL our admin does SFA, everytime our pres is interveiwed he embarasses the club and himself, and we are going backwards on-field quite possibly due to in part off-field decisions.

And the new guys have indetified all these issues and are intending to fix them, and from face value why couldn't they with what they put on the table?

So we have off field issues and we are trying to fix them, even if RB and co remain, at least they will have to publicly address the above problems.

I can't see the problem, change or no change we need to lift off-field, this will hopefully be the kick start we need to achieve this.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: From what I've seen so far the so called rebels couldn't do any worse than the incumbents, IMO the mix of explayer and business is what should constitute a footy club board.
Apart from a crappy website tell me Leo, what have you seen so far from the alternate ticket?

Policies?

Strategic Direction?

Long term financial plans on how to improve revenue to offset their expected increased spending?

Instead of going off half cocked, why not wait until we have a clear and concise understanding of what the alternative ticket offers.

All it has offered so far is two retired footballers, and a lot of middling businessmen.

On and the promise to spend (which without the knowledge of how they go about that is considerably worrying).

Would be nice to get facts before you bury the incumbants :roll:

Lance or James??

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Leo.J wrote: From what I've seen so far the so called rebels couldn't do any worse than the incumbents, IMO the mix of explayer and business is what should constitute a footy club board.
Apart from a crappy website tell me Leo, what have you seen so far from the alternate ticket?

Policies?

Strategic Direction?

Long term financial plans on how to improve revenue to offset their expected increased spending?

Instead of going off half cocked, why not wait until we have a clear and concise understanding of what the alternative ticket offers.

All it has offered so far is two retired footballers, and a lot of middling businessmen.

On and the promise to spend (which without the knowledge of how they go about that is considerably worrying).

Would be nice to get facts before you bury the incumbants :roll:
The reasoned voice of caution amidst the euphoria at the imminent demise of the current President?

You are spot on Joffaboy.

The alternatives may well prove to be the best thing since sliced bread, but at the moment they are telling us nothing other than we need to spend more on football matters.

It would be really nice to know what they actually plan to do, and how.
Before we give them the keys, lets make sure we know who/what/why/how they plan to 'fix' our Club.
The last thing I want to do is be on here in 3 years and have the same bs going on about our 'ego-driven President and his Board of incompetents'. If we're going to fix the ills of the Board, lets make sure the 'cure is not worse than the disease'.

nicola69
Club Player

Nope, sorry, we are in turmoil.

I am interested in a big change in the governance of the club for the following reason:

I liked the style of play the team evolved under GT. It was exiting, high scoring, shoot 'em in their tracks stuff. The team had personality. Thomas was sacked because of a personal financial dispute with RB that ruined their working relationship. The new coach RB's board has appointed has made the team play a pitifully sad, boring style that is robotic at best - it is excruciating to watch most of the time. The team has gone backwards this year on field. The funniest thing about RL's so called coaching prowess is that the first half of the season he makes them play his boring style and they lose. The second half of the season, confronted with a possible season long rout playing his much vaunted boring style of team play, he lets the players revert back to the style GT developed and they won more than half the remaining games.

GT was also a great front man for the club with the media. RL is like one of those college coaches you see in the American teen movies. A grumpy, mumbling sadist who is always dressed in the same dirty track suit that has suspicious stains on the front of the pants.

RB should have gone, not GT. He must now be made to pay for allowing personal issues to cloud his judgement as a leading board member.

mischa
Club Player

What I want to know is where have these "million dollar profits" been going :?: Has Butterss been forthcoming. Doesn't appear that they have been going to the Football Dept. that's for sure. So where :?:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:What I want to know is where have these "million dollar profits" been going :?: Has Butterss been forthcoming. Doesn't appear that they have been going to the Football Dept. that's for sure. So where :?:
Do you actually know what a "profit" is mischa????????????

Give Accounting 101 a try before you start throwing around vieled accusations.

Your ignorance is showing terribly.

Lance or James??

mischa
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
mischa wrote:What I want to know is where have these "million dollar profits" been going :?: Has Butterss been forthcoming. Doesn't appear that they have been going to the Football Dept. that's for sure. So where :?:
Do you actually know what a "profit" is mischa????????????

Give Accounting 101 a try before you start throwing around vieled accusations.

Your ignorance is showing terribly.
Wouldn't have a clue about Accounting 101. Don't pretend to know or care (have too much of a life). But would rather make a loss if it meant our football/training facilities improved.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote: Wouldn't have a clue about Accounting 101. Don't pretend to know or care (have too much of a life). But would rather make a loss if it meant our football/training facilities improved.
I would then respectfully suggest you dont venture down paths that you have no clue about.

Especially if you want to make vieled accusation toward a board member or members.

If you are suggesting missapropriation, please state your real name and address so the moderators know where to send the legal letters they will recieve.

Otherwise desist and dont make yourself look foolish mate.

Lance or James??

TheBabyBlues
Club Player

I understand that posters do not want to perpetuate this hysteria that appears to be creeping in, but to say you are not in turmoil is a bit much.

- You current president and ex coach have been in a bitter court battle.
- You are recovering from an unpopular sacking of the head coach which has members divided.
- You have lost 1 (most likely both) your major sponsors.
- You have ex-players talking about a board challenge that is gaining more and more momentum everyday.

Now the same people who are saying you are not in turmoil are the same people that were outlining what a rabble carlton was earlier this year.

Since then we have...
- Outed various board members including the President, Graham Smorgon.
- Got a new President who has been able to boost membership to record levels.
- Poached one of the best CEO's in the business Greg Swann.
- Gone through a coches sacking and an appointment that has been congratulated, rather than criticised, by its club members.
- Increased off-field spending in areas such as recruiting, assistant coaches and development.
- Started an upgrade of Princes Park with further upgrades in the works.
- Increased revenue streams in multiple areas, most notably a pub deal like collingwood.
- Got more sponsorship including most likely Vodafone from you guys.
- On top of all that, taking into account our dismal ladder position, we will most likely post a profit this year

Now i dont want to get in an Carlton vs St. Kilda debate here, but considering what is going on with you at the moment...it is going to get worse before it gets better. We have gone through all of this crap and have come through the other side of it. You are still heading into the eye of the storm.

All i can suggest is to strap yourselves in for a busy off-season and never give up hope. You will come through this ok....but its going to be difficult for a while.