Are we in trouble????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Mik
Club Player

Are we in trouble????

I hope RL has a plan that we all dont know about because at the moment we seem in all sorts IMO.

No FF at the minute cant rely on Kossi until he is signed
No FB at the minute cant rely on Max as he is injury prone
No Ruck at the minute cant rely on Gardiner after this years output Kossi not signed.
No up and coming midfielders cant rely on Harvey for another year, Ball suspect groin
An ageing midfeild with no pace and getting slower IMO
No premiership players for expereince.
Players that have retired/not signed and others that have not come up time and time again and should go, this will leave a massive hole to fill.
Our no.1 tagger that will miss a cruicial part of next year to put us behind before the first game.(do the nab cup get included?)
A prez that is under the pump and things are only going to get worse.
Finished 9th on the ladder lets hope that we dont follow the Tigers footsteps.
And last of all do we have a home are we staying at lincoln st?

Time will tell good luck to RL as i think its all going on around him and only a superb coach will turn all of the above around so the club can have a fair crack at it in 08 its going to be a LONG summer.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Simple answer Saintmik is no we are not in trouble. The list we have has plenty of upside with the majority of our key players yet to reach there potential. With G retiring it leaves us with a more flexible forward line with two key forwards capable of holding down both key posts. The back ups for them Watts Brooks Allen Hamill and even BJ all offer variation and each can take a mark and present well. While they are not 60 goal forwards at present how many sides have more than one. As for the midfield not having pace last year the opinion of Geelongs was the same and it hasnt hindered them this year. Lenny will be better for the year Ball gets his groin right Joey continues his improvement Armo gets another pre season throw in the Clarkes Gram Fiora and Gilbert on the outside and the cream of Dal and we are still a force.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

We are not in 'trouble' as such on the field, although we are in danger of stagnating if processes aren't continually followed for the future.

As for off the field, there is potential for 'trouble' if the current board aren't held to task over their decisions and in particular, the public face of the club, RB.

We'll be right though.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I believe you can pick holes in most clubs playing lists if you want. (maybe not West Coast) As far as the admin goes, unfortunately, whats new.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:I believe you can pick holes in most clubs playing lists if you want. (maybe not West Coast) As far as the admin goes, unfortunately, whats new.
west coast also there fwd line is still suspect IMHO.

“Yeah….nah””
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:I believe you can pick holes in most clubs playing lists if you want. (maybe not West Coast) As far as the admin goes, unfortunately, whats new.
Yeah forawrd line still dodgy. Obviously has done the job, but there are holes in there. No quality crumbing forward (LeCras is a flanker/medium). Hansen does the job but is very injury prone as we see. Lynch goes arlgiht, on and off but has improved a heap.

Carpe Diem
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we in trouble????

I kept this thread because of my full confidence in Ross Lyon. So I thought it was appropriate to get an update on how his "plan" is going ....

Saint Mik wrote:No FF at the minute cant rely on Kossi until he is signed
Fixed.
Saint Mik wrote:No FB at the minute cant rely on Max as he is injury prone
Mmm ... let's see what happens at the draft.
Saint Mik wrote:No Ruck at the minute cant rely on Gardiner after this years output Kossi not signed.

Fixed.
Kosi signed, King recruited.
Saint Mik wrote:No up and coming midfielders cant rely on Harvey for another year, Ball suspect groin
Fixed. Schneider, Dempster added to depth, Geary promoted. Plus the draft.
Saint Mik wrote:An ageing midfeild with no pace and getting slower IMO
Fixed. Schneider, Geary and Dempster add pace. Plus draft.
Saint Mik wrote:No premiership players for expereince.
Fixed. Three premiership players now at the club.
Saint Mik wrote:Players that have retired/not signed and others that have not come uptime and time again and should go, this will leave a massive hole to fill.
Fixed - all players signed, necessary delistments complete.
Saint Mik wrote:Our no.1 tagger that will miss a cruicial part of next year to put us behind before the first game.(do the nab cup get included?)
Fixed. Dempster recruited, Sydney's #1 tagger.
Saint Mik wrote:A prez that is under the pump and things are only going to get worse.
Fixed. Smooth board transition.
Saint Mik wrote:Finished 9th on the ladder lets hope that we dont follow the Tigers footsteps.
Can only wait and see. Steps in right direction.

Saint Mik wrote: Time will tell good luck to RL as i think its all going on around him and only a superb coach will turn all of the above around so the club can have a fair crack at it in 08 its going to be a LONG summer.
A superb coach? Even I wouldn't go that far ...... yet :wink:

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Behind Play
Club Player

The good thing is we are moving forward.
RL is trying to rectify our deficiencies and IMO is doing a good job.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

One thing OWTS - pretty sure Brett Kirk would be Sydney's #1 tagger ahead of Dempster, but good bump...

The Saints are coming!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, TBS.

OWTS - great post but like True Blue said, Kirk would be Sydneys #1 tagger :)

elphie
Club Player

oh when the saints wrote:

Saint Mik wrote:
No FB at the minute cant rely on Max as he is injury prone

Mmm ... let's see what happens at the draft.

is there something you know? as surely we must be looking at midfield strength as no.1 priority and ,second pick, even if want and get a young backman with height and potential, given the lateness of the pick i'd be v. surprised if it's a backup at all!

or are you thinking pre-season draft, maybe?

any comments.....

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

No inside info!

Just a suspicion that we will draft a developing full-back somewhere along the line, either with one of our four picks in the draft or on the rookie list.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

When RL first arrived at the Saints he said that he wanted rucks, more run thru the middle and a full back.

Not long ago he added a small forward to his shopping list.

Rucks (King, Gardi and the rookie VR), mids (Armo, Howard, Birss..and again this year) and a small forward come mid in Schneider have been picked up.....and so yes futue FB would still loom large in RL's thinking.

RL also made the comment recently that in addition to King that he would look to grow our own ruckman.

So es I too will expect RL to be on the look out for a future FB.

4 draft picks perhaps and if so it could weell be 2 mids, a ruck and FB.....though there is also the PSD and rookie drafts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
LiLFLiP41

You guys are just realizing your list is s***?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Good post OWTS, but let's not get carried away with King, Schneider, Dempster, etc. (although I noticed that at least you didn't mention either Gardiner in your post).

For mine, our best hopes for 2008 remain the core group of players recruited in 2000-03 - Riewoldt, Kosi, Ball, Joey, Dal, X, Raph, Chips, Goose - along with Harves, Lenny, Gram and perhaps Max, Bakes and Fiora.

These are the guys who will take us to a premiership if we are going to get one. While I would expect to see Schneider and King picked regularly for the seniors, I would be surprised - on the basis of what we have seen from them in recent seasons - if either of them finished particularly high up in our B and F at the end of the season.

I personally don't expect much from Dempster or C Gardiner, and will be pleasantly surprised if M Gardiner makes a contribution in the ruck or even at FF.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

LiLFLiP41 wrote:You guys are just realizing your list is s***?
Thats funny because Carlton wanted, Dal Santo, Carlton wanted Kosi, Carlton wanted Baker and I do believe Carlton wanted Riewoldt as well.
Care for me to add anymore?

Come back in 3 years time when all your young kids want more money and they can't get what they deverse because your paying millions to one player in Judd.

Lets see if you can keep your playing group together, one thing St Kilda has done very well with this current list.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
LiLFLiP41

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
Thats funny because Carlton wanted, Dal Santo, Carlton wanted Kosi, Carlton wanted Baker and I do believe Carlton wanted Riewoldt as well.
Care for me to add anymore?

Come back in 3 years time when all your young kids want more money and they can't get what they deverse because your paying millions to one player in Judd.

Lets see if you can keep your playing group together, one thing St Kilda has done very well with this current list.
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b]

Apu
Club Player

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
LiLFLiP41 wrote: Lets see if you can keep your playing group together, one thing St Kilda has done very well with this current list.
The other good thing the current list has done is to consistently thrash carlton at every given opportunity

SS Life Member

DSG, you forgot the player Carlton really wanted..................BJ. :lol:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Looks like LilFLiP41 wet the bed a couple of times through the night and had to post a couple of messages while Mummy changed the sheets.

Pity you can't super impose a new groin on the Million Dollar Baby.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we in trouble????

Saint Mik wrote: An ageing midfeild with no pace and getting slower IMO
I think we should employ a mad scientist to develop human beings that don't age.

My 11 week old daughter is aging.

Behind Play
Club Player

Who is going to pay your list now that Pratt may not be there? Oh why isn't he going to be there.........like president , like club.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

People get so easily wound up by opposition fans.

Hilarious to watch 'em take the bait :D

*grabs popcorn*

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:People get so easily wound up by opposition fans.

*grabs popcorn*
I feel that it's the way we deal with these trolls that defines us as a forum.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
evertonfc wrote:People get so easily wound up by opposition fans.

*grabs popcorn*
I feel that it's the way we deal with these trolls that defines us as a forum.
I think this forum is better defined by threads such as Sacred Cow and Teflon's Banning.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.