StKilda Players Average Age - Analysis - 23.86!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

StKilda Players Average Age - Analysis - 23.86!!!

Just did an analysis of the average age of our boys, surprisingly it comes in quite low.....maybe 1 or 2 may be off but I’m quite confident its very close.
With Gehrig (31), Thompson (34) & Clarke (35) retiring

Total age by the way, 100 YEARS OLD!!!

Our average goes down from 24.55 to 23.86

Lets talk about our CORE group.....the bunch of players who will be our main contributors in our chances in winning a flag (I picked 11 players)

I have not included Harvey in this group cause chances are he wont be around in 3 years, but you never know!!! :wink:

So here they are in no particular order.....

Justin Koschitzke 24
Nick Riewoldt 24
Brendan Goddard 22
Luke Ball 23
Nick Dal Santo 23
Samuel Fisher 25
Sam Gilbert 21
Jason Gram 23
Lenny Hayes 27
Leigh Montagna 23
Matthew Maguire 23

Average Age 23.5

Now I guess by the time next season begins chances are it will be 24 years old, but either way were still young. The guys named above have many years left in them.

Also looking for 1,2 maybe 3 good years (I hope) from these players;

Steven Baker 27
Michael S. Gardiner 28
Arron Hamill 30 (I know, I know high hopes :wink: )
Robert Harvey 36 (Prob will play till hes 82)
Stephen Milne 27(I'll always take the goal sneak)

I think when Brisbane started their first of 3 flags their core's average age was 26.....

Let me know what u guys think.....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

its something i've been saying for ages, but without the numbers.

1. our window is still open.

2. we have a good list (which you haven't said but I believe)

3. we have gaps in our list, but then so does EVERY club.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:2. we have a good list (which you haven't said but I believe)
Hey don't get me wrong, I reckon our list is AWESOME.....its the last 5 - 7 players im a bit worried about.....but i believe they will be ironed out come round 1 next year.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Add four or five teenagers to that list and the average age drops even further.

If Harvey, Hudghton, and Hamill retire at the end of next season, and Rix gets the chop, and you add another five teenagers, then in 2009 the average age will not go up from 23, with our core group still in their prime (aged 23 - 27)

Joey
Club Player

I totally agree lets give Lyon a full pre season with the team, to analyse our list and to have complete control over the drafting of players. Lets not forget he came in half way trhough trade week so didn't have much say on who came and went

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think that the best way to judge the average age of a team is to look at its best 22-25 players, not to average out the ages of the entire list (which, given the turnover of players at most clubs these days, is unlikely to vary by all that much from club to club).

That said, you are correct in pointing out that the idea that we are an "ageing" side is a load of cobblers.

The core of our team is a group of players drafted between 2000 and 2005, either by us or (in the case of Brooks, Birss and Gram) by other clubs.

These players are all currently in the 21-25 age range. We also have a few key players (Fiora, Blake, Baker, Lenny) who are only 1-2 years older.

Our remaining cadre of veteran players is not noticeably larger than most other clubs.

You want to see a senior club with a genuinely ageing list, try the Swans or even the Cats: both of whom have a much larger group of key players in the 26-30 age range than we do.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:2. we have a good list (which you haven't said but I believe)
Hey don't get me wrong, I reckon our list is AWESOME.....its the last 5 - 7 players im a bit worried about.....but i believe they will be ironed out come round 1 next year.
you always get that, have a look at the wce team list.

take out 3 or 4 players from their best 6 and watch how they thrash about like a fish out of water.

even in the last couple of GFs, have a look at the bottom 6 or 7 players in WCE and shytney.

their 'stars' do carry the bottom end.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:

You are coming around Dan...we will be on the same page soon :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

With rookies added.....

StKilda = 23.41

Geelong = 23.11

Very close.....

StSteven
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:With rookies added.....

StKilda = 23.41

Geelong = 23.11

Very close.....

Yeah but our guys are sitting at home watching the Cats on top of the table play finals. A lot more than age is involved.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

You are coming around Dan...we will be on the same page soon :wink:
SR I've always said...

I point to my critique of the WCE, Brisbane, collingwood etc etc.

WCE = 6 guns and the rest are signifantly weaker and their tail in even in their best 22 are ordinary.

cox, glass, kerr, cousins, judd and embley.

their bottom 6 in their best are very ordinary.

they have limited talent in their forward line, their defence is rarely pressured but glass is the ace there, everyone else is significantly less talented etc.

WCE would love another KPP defender and a forward to help Lynch. Lynch standing in front of the best midfield in the competition racks up 50s and 60s per annum, thats really substandard, given the skill level of teh WCE midfield.

their second string midfield is a quantum less talented than their a string midfield.

if they lose glass their back line is rubbish.

WCE are a very powerful side, but they don't have a great list through the lines, their list is littered with GOPs, B grades and A grade players.

even Sydney are littered with GOPs in their best 22, and even a few trash players. Their fans can't stand it when Jude Bolton kicks, they reckon aerogard sprays it less.

SHUT UP KRIME!
congorozides
Club Player

All the teams are pretty much the same. List ages are way over-hyped by the Melbourne Media and crap coaches keen to deflect their losing form and give hope to the fans. All in all its a distraction.
Your list is either good, average or crap. Once you make an AFL list you should be expected to perform.

Brewer
Club Player

meher baba wrote:You want to see a senior club with a genuinely ageing list, try the Swans or even the Cats: both of whom have a much larger group of key players in the 26-30 age range than we do.
And interestingly, both in with a greater chance of winning a flag this year than us :wink:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Red
Club Player

Dan you are a dreamer. You constantly analyse every other side and find deficiencies but don't see these same deficiencies with the saints. The record shows that both West Coast and the Swans have won premierships when they have had the opportunity. Where as the Saints who apparently have the equal of any list are constantly falling short. I think it is time we realise the side has a number of shortcomings which need to be overcome.