David King and Whateley analysis of what's gone wrong this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: David King and Whateley analysis of what's gone wrong this year

When Goddard was telling our young players that they need a passport to get to Tasmania and Hugo said I'm not stupid and Goddard kept going on with his stupid joke that's when I realised there is a disconnect between player and coach...Goddard came across as a dick. So if our players think the coach is a dick .what hope have we got ..

avid
Club Player

I thought it was a plausible and interesting analysis.
We've certainly lost the spark.
Maybe we need to just fanatically go for goals, even if the opposition kicks more. Fake it till we make it.
It's been save it till you lose it this season.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 9:30pm When Goddard was telling our young players that they need a passport to get to Tasmania and Hugo said I'm not stupid and Goddard kept going on with his stupid joke that's when I realised there is a disconnect between player and coach...Goddard came across as a dick. So if our players think the coach is a dick .what hope have we got ..
Deep analysis.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 8:25pm Ross needs to give the on field leaders license to make those calls in game.

I think he's still a bit too much of a control freak, despite the outward demeanor.
That’s just utter speculation and rot with respect
Lyon is on record multiple times stating they do not sit the players down and say “play boring footy”
Brad Hill during week - “leaders on field need to take more ownership when things aren’t going our way.. …”
This is a group that lacks clear on field leadership

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 11:34pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 8:14pm
Otiman wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 8:05pm I haven't heard the line "this group is so coachable" at any time this year.
What does that even mean?
Talks in monologue/riddles at press conferences like some great guru.
If you don't understand you must be stupid!
Geez you’ve been waiting to get this shyte off the liver for a while ! Go your hardest!
FWIW I enjoy Lyons pressers
He explains the win or loss very succinctly- none of this “yeah, nah just the vibe” trash we’ve had previously
But each to their own I guess …
Im not sure why but 'shyte off your liver' made me blow my coffee out my nose as I laughed my ass off. Thanks, needed it today

spert
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 12:12am
Otiman wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 8:25pm Ross needs to give the on field leaders license to make those calls in game.

I think he's still a bit too much of a control freak, despite the outward demeanor.
That’s just utter speculation and rot with respect
Lyon is on record multiple times stating they do not sit the players down and say “play boring footy”
Brad Hill during week - “leaders on field need to take more ownership when things aren’t going our way.. …”
This is a group that lacks clear on field leadership
Lyon of course doesn't tell the players to play boring footy, he makes them play to a gameplan that results in boring footy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 4:33pm And we have lost 5 games 10pts or under

A bit of luck here, a bit of luck there, an injury less here, a suspension less there .... and maybe we win 3 or 4 of those

It's true we aren't playing great .... currently .... but I don't it will take much to turn it around
Be honest, how many of these close games do you think we have been unlucky to lose? In my view, zero. The only game in which we have lead was against Bombers and from halfway through the second quarter they were all over us. Every game we’re chasing our tail. The only complete performance all year was against pies

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 9:09am
Devilhead wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 4:33pm And we have lost 5 games 10pts or under

A bit of luck here, a bit of luck there, an injury less here, a suspension less there .... and maybe we win 3 or 4 of those

It's true we aren't playing great .... currently .... but I don't it will take much to turn it around
Be honest, how many of these close games do you think we have been unlucky to lose? In my view, zero. The only game in which we have lead was against Bombers and from halfway through the second quarter they were all over us. Every game we’re chasing our tail. The only complete performance all year was against pies
Of course luck plays a part in close games. The zero comment is silly. Try balanced realism. Beats defeatism.