Philipou’s Manager

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Philipou’s Manager

nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:50pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:48pm
nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:47pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:40pm
nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:19pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:14pm He’s mouthed off about his abilities and failed to deliver
Wilson has come in and shat all over him
Gets dropped 1 week (shoulda been weeks ago) and clearly sooked to his manager…
That is all ridiculously hyperbolic and the last part is pure unadulterated speculation that you’ve just thrown the word “clearly” in front of hoping people won’t notice?

A c*** manager can be a c*** all by himself. No evidence to suggest Pou complained.
If you don’t think he’s said something to the manager then why would the manager do that?

Manager then decides to take it further without thinking.

I’d suggest that out of this Mattaes needs to realise he’s in big boy shorts now. Welcome to the professional leagues.
Sure, it’s theoretically possible. I just think dropping “clearly” in front of hypothetical speculation is disingenuous.
I clearly think you dont understand how football forums work
Likewise. Criticism and differing opinions are welcome on forums. Don’t post if you don’t want replies!
You clearly think I give a **** what you think ?
You’d be clearly mistaken !

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:40pm
nefron55 wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:19pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:14pm He’s mouthed off about his abilities and failed to deliver
Wilson has come in and shat all over him
Gets dropped 1 week (shoulda been weeks ago) and clearly sooked to his manager…
That is all ridiculously hyperbolic and the last part is pure unadulterated speculation that you’ve just thrown the word “clearly” in front of hoping people won’t notice?

A c*** manager can be a c*** all by himself. No evidence to suggest Pou complained.
If you don’t think he’s said something to the manager then why would the manager do that?

Manager then decides to take it further without thinking.

I’d suggest that out of this Mattaes needs to realise he’s in big boy shorts now. Welcome to the professional leagues.
Spot on
Mattaes has had lots to say ….as yet ….not much to ba k it up
I’d suggest he take a leaf out of Darcy Wilson’s book …let his footy do the talking …
Apparently he was better in the 2’s today ….thats a start ….but he hardly smashed the door down …Bont like..

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:41pm How are the following forwards going atm

King
Owens
Phillipou
Owens seems to be going ok.
Membrey is not a youngster and is playing poorly.
So what was the manager's point. All younger forwards should be dropped, none dropped, they are all very talented and Ross has ruined them, Ross can't coach, what? What's the manager's claim to fame: Pou Bear brand merchandise or a coaching/playing background.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

While we are here - to balance out this Shiite managers brain let’s also look at whose played career best footy under Lyon in his 1.5 seasons to date :

Marshall
Wilkie
Higgins
Mason Wood
Stocker
NAS
Wilson
Sinclair

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

FMD
Teflon is crediting Ross Lyon with Sinclair's form and Wood's form. Both became elite under the tutelage of Ratten.

Sincs 2022 All Australian jacket had nothing to do with Ross the Boss. His 2022 stats versus 2023 are virtually identical

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A

Same with Wilkie. Same with Marshall. Their growth and development occured under Ratten.

NWM's first development year (as well as Windy and Owens) occured under Ratten.

Who's left from Teflon's list above...? Higgins, Stocker, and Wilson. One could argue that Wilson would probably have developed under anyone. Possibly same thing for the other 2 ...they just needed more opportunities
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 13 May 2024 1:00am, edited 1 time in total.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 10:38pm Here is the tweet:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/afl ... kcnfc43lkj
I completely agree with the sentiment the kids are obviously not enjoying there footy.

There is no doubt Lyon is a smart coach, but ATM he is not coaching very well at all abd deserves all the criticism coming his way.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 12:55am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 10:38pm Here is the tweet:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/afl ... kcnfc43lkj
I completely agree with the sentiment the kids are obviously not enjoying there footy.

There is no doubt Lyon is a smart coach, but ATM he is not coaching very well at all abd deserves all the criticism coming his way.
Dropping all the bs excuses every week might be a good start for him.

Who gives a tossbag about the last 2 minutes of a match and your one or two messages that 'could have been delivered'. The way we play and the first 118 minutes is more important.

Stop worrying about the W's and L's column and just develop your youth and focus on getting the team playing an exciting brand of footy

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 10:21pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 10:19pm Take what we can get for him.
Just signed him so at least have an upper hand.

His manager tweeted (now deleted) that Lyon is a dud

Where there is smoke…..
Really?
Where's the screenshot?
f****** tool if true.
Tom Morris on twitter.
I can't be bothered

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Tom Morris reckons Ned is an assistant to Pou's manager.

Handles endorsements etc.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 11:44pm Devils advocate point of view. You reap what you sow …right?

Why treat the kid like he’s a star in 2023. He wasn’t the second coming. He wasn’t Chris Judd and he certainly wasn’t the Bont

What am I talking about? The bleeding obvious of course. As soon as he had 2 or 3 bad games in 2023 he needed to be dropped

Like…don’t people at the club get it. He’s already a cocky young man. Why swell his head even more?

e playing with his head by making him the sub and giving him 20 minutes on the ground at the end of a game and then dropping him the week after?
I agree. You don't get anything productive out of spoiling the entitled. No gratitude, no loyalty ... nothing. In fact, you frequently get the opposite ... an even greater sense of entitlement, along with a corresponding bitterness and resentlment if there's even the mildest criiticism.

This is not ncessarily a knock on Phillipou himself as none of us know how he personally responded to the relegation.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Fwd coach is Rob Harvey BTW

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I work in retail.

We had a 17 y.o. boy who complained about having to do menial tasks that we all have to do, and he dragged his feet, and if he had to collect shopping trolleys (which a lot of us have to do) he would complain of a headache and say he needed to go home...
He would rather talk with the other younger workers of a similar age and slow them down, while the rest of us were run off our feet.

After a month or 2 of this, the manager sacked him.
Enter his big beefy mum, 6 ft, a Karen-type with a tertiary degree in something, who found a loophole in the employment contract and stormed into the store, managed to get his job back...on condition that he go to another store nearby...I saw him at that store and he was quite happy as he was only given a few tasks and a cushy ride.

Sounds familiar

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The tweet was inappropriate, but is it a sign that the drums are beating?

RTB’s press conference performance on Saturday was embarrassingly poor.

Things feel a little shaky at the moment. A bundle of goals against Freo would help.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
nefron55
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 2:10am I work in retail.

We had a 17 y.o. boy who complained about having to do menial tasks that we all have to do, and he dragged his feet, and if he had to collect shopping trolleys (which a lot of us have to do) he would complain of a headache and say he needed to go home...
He would rather talk with the other younger workers of a similar age and slow them down, while the rest of us were run off our feet.

Enter his big beefy mum, 6 ft, a Karen-type with a tertiary degree in something, who found a loophole in the employment contract and stormed into the store, managed to get his job back...on condition that he go to another store nearby...I saw him at that store and he was quite happy as he was only given a few tasks and a cushy ride.

Sounds familiar
Does it actually sound familiar? I’ve never heard a single complaint come from Pou.

spert
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 10:44pm Was what he said incorrect?!
Might be a foolish thing to put on line as a manager, but probably factual. Owens and Pou are young players out of form, and clearly can't carry out what Lyon's game plan needs, and King is highly talented but doesn't work hard enough defensively.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Lyon will be given the heat

But how much is contributed by forward coach (Robert harvey) and players themselves?

saint4life
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 8:52am Lyon will be given the heat

But how much is contributed by forward coach (Robert harvey) and players themselves?
Well, it's always the players who ultimately determine whether a game is won or lost.

But Lyon is a control freak, as was demonstrated by his whinge on Saturday afternoon about not being able to send out his runners as often as he liked.

And the club has made a big statement by sacking Ratten and appointing Lyon. So, unless things turn around quickly, most of the pressure will certainly be directed towards RTB.

The media critics don't tend to criticise assistant coaches all that much, so Harves will largely escape.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Typical of Tom Morris. I think he's losing creditability. Just loves spreading gossip. He should be working for the Woman's Weekly.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

nefron55 wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 5:23am
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 2:10am I work in retail.

Sounds familiar
Does it actually sound familiar? I’ve never heard a single complaint come from Pou.
Doesn't sound familiar at all. Other than employers who are not familiar with their workplace IR obligations. An underperforming employee 2 months into employment should be a slam dunk. These employers also often hire young kids to pay unlivable wages and don't invest in training.

The "kids don't want to work" mentality is a garbage view. It's more like current generation managers have never had to mentor and develop people, and are bad at it. You could extend that to parenting.

That's all well off track to the conversation though.

But also know that all AFL players get media training, fairly extensively. Those of higher profile like Mattaes will get more.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 11:47am Typical of Tom Morris. I think he's losing creditability. Just loves spreading gossip. He should be working for the Woman's Weekly.
How on earth is this in any way Tom Morris’s fault? He’s just doing his job. This isn’t gossip. This is a real tweet from a football manager about football. Not about Pou breaking up with a girlfriend. I find it quite incredible that the person reporting the tweet could cop any criticism. This is a genuine story about our highest draft pick from 2022 after he’s just been dropped. The media sure can cop it, sometimes for just existing

Killa
Club Player

In regards the pile on re what Phillipou said when drafted, what exactly did he say that any excited 17 year old would not say?

Should he have said I am not up for this challenge?

Then you get to media coaching - and players filling that space for media headlines = publicity for the AFL

And I repeat, it is not our forwards (noting King needs support) nor our defence (where Howard needs support) nor our Ruck (where Marshall needs support)

It is our clearance mids, absent the not quick but instinctive Crouch (who led our Brownlow votes in 2023) where we have slow, one paced players unable to cover the ground

Hence all the defensive running left to Hill, Wood and now Wilson (and the reason Byrnes was being selected)

This is where the hole is

Look at the elite mids from other sides and compare

Killa
Club Player

A friend who played for Port Adelaide in the SANFL back in the day (yes, a friend from Port Adelaide) lamented the loss to Adelaide where PA’s elite mids were negated hence the result

Then to Geelong where his comment is he was absolutely amazed that in the first half Geelong put no work into the PA elite mids - and Geelong paid the price

“If our midfield, which has some elite players, is on then great because they win the game for you but if they are not on the boot is on the other foot”

We just do not have that centre square match winner - bursting forward from the contest

And minus Crouch that deficiency is exaggerated

And this is why I would have Clark in this week - for some offensive ability from that contest

Jones can burst away but tends to then run into trouble and has disposal deficiencies (you need delivery including on both sides to create space)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 12:08pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 11:47am Typical of Tom Morris. I think he's losing creditability. Just loves spreading gossip. He should be working for the Woman's Weekly.
How on earth is this in any way Tom Morris’s fault? He’s just doing his job. This isn’t gossip. This is a real tweet from a football manager about football. Not about Pou breaking up with a girlfriend. I find it quite incredible that the person reporting the tweet could cop any criticism. This is a genuine story about our highest draft pick from 2022 after he’s just been dropped. The media sure can cop it, sometimes for just existing
He was the one that commented on Megan Barnard. He's just a mud raking journalist. This sort of story doesn't deserve air time. The narrative is to create something out of nothing. Has it been reported anywhere else?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Killa
Club Player

In regards Harvey, who is a St Kilda legend and a top bloke, the story I heard was that Hawthorn were preparing to cut him from their Coaching ranks when St Kilda came knocking

Hawthorn were surprised St Kilda offered yet another coaching gig at yet another Club

66Iwasthere
Club Player

How many times did Marshall grab the ball at the Centre bounce and attempt to kick it? How often were these kicks effective or led to a goal. Not many,if any, if I recall. Is this the nub of the mids
problem? We all know Marshall is not a good tap ruckman but is good around the ground. Also when Hayes and Mitch and to some extent Caminiti relieve in the ruck, they are only there to nullify the opposition ruckman. Do we need a good tap ruckman (at the moment that’s Campbell) tapping the ball to our mids and then let them clear the ball out. I have watched Dow recently and he is quick and very good at weaving his way through the centre and getting the ball out to our runners.