Mass exodus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mass exodus

So none of us want to believe the op

Then we name about 10 leaving (nearly a quarter of the list?)

BTW
It’s not just whether we want to keep them

It’s whether they want to stay! Billings, Clark, Gresham

Others want to stay - we are letting them go or shopping them around

Jimmy is not retiring

Killa
Club Player

Those I think could be under pressure are:-

1) Jones Will be 29 and injuries have impacted. We will be looking to improve our mid-field including by Owens, Phillipou and Windhager becoming regulars, squeezing Jones to depth. But, from left field, see below to cover a deficiency we have.

2) Hayes Noting his late recruitment from the SANFL. The development of Heath, Adams, Van Es and Keeler will put pressure on Hayes and force him to depth.

3) Bytel Refer Jones except for age and a possible positional re-set.

4) Webster Age plus the recovery of Coffield adds a first pick member to the back 7. That said, we do not have a small natural defender with pace to pressure the upper echelon of small forwards. Paton perhaps? Or someone from left field such as Peris educated to defend and rebound? Or Jones who played as a half back at Sydney and has pace and mongrel?

5) Highmore Will be further squeezed to depth by Adams and Van Es, both juniors with developing KPP physiques

6) McKenzie Injury has impacted plus the development of our younger brigade adds further pressure.

7) Connolly Has not been given chances over the past couple of seasons and that may catch him out.

8) Campbell Age plus refer above and the reference to Heath and Keeler who are both receiving ruck educations at VFL level.

Then where (and who) do we replace these 8 with, so by Drafting how many Rounds deep and otherwise Free Agency and de-listed by other Clubs (so why were they not good enough there, noting Stocker was late as cover for Coffield when he went down injured during pre-season?).

In terms of the age demographic of the List, you would imagine Hill will remain and central - and Ross as depth as the youngsters and who we may Draft emerge and other juniors emerge further.

Age is not a factor for anyone else.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Well I recon BM needs to be given credit for Hunter being on his list of gonski, pretty clear he's well gone.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 17 Aug 2023 7:29pm Well I recon BM needs to be given credit for Hunter being on his list of gonski, pretty clear he's well gone.
In fairness… the speculation has been ongoing for close to 18months now
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 17 Aug 2023 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Aug 2023 8:01pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 17 Aug 2023 7:29pm Well I recon BM needs to be given credit for Hunter being on his list of gonski, pretty clear he's well gone.
In fairness… the speculation has been ongoing for close to 18months now
Yeah wasn't it BM who called it probably 24 months ago if my memory serves me well.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Are we saying Clark deserves a game based on last week? If so who comes out?

#1 Ryder fan
Saintmike65
Club Player

Wow…I love trade and draft period!
BM’s sure stirred up a hornets nest with this post.
The way I see it, Clark, Billings, Paton & Gresham will be the main ones linked to moving on.
Billings may not garner any interest but the others may!
SOS and Gubby will be busy and it will be fascinating who we’re looking at for trading in.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think there will be more admin/coaching staff out the window over the break than players.

Easy to turn over significant footy staff, not so easy to turn over playing talent due to the draft and trades restrictions.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I could definitely see Paton playing 150 very solid games in his best role of shutdown small defender at another club. That is unless he's genuinely still compromised from the broken leg. Quite a strange fall from grace - he was an absolute lock in our starting 18 pre injury.

Saint2
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 3:02am I could definitely see Paton playing 150 very solid games in his best role of shutdown small defender at another club. That is unless he's genuinely still compromised from the broken leg. Quite a strange fall from grace - he was an absolute lock in our starting 18 pre injury.
Paton played some pretty good footy earlier in the season, but probably has to compete with Windy and Stocker for a spot.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Some of the players named in this thread will be important for team depth in 2024 and will stay.

And some of them put pressure on regulars to perform regularly. We all know what happens when that pressure isn't present, we get six years like we had under AR.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I have it on good authority that 5 or 6 of the below won’t be at the club next season.

Coffield
Jones
Gresham
Crouch
Ross
NWM
Hill
Steele
Owend
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Billings
Butler
Windhager
Hayes
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Higgins
Bytel
Phillipou
Battle
Adams
Membrey
Webster
Allison
Van Ess
Wood
Paton
Highmore
Sinclair
McKenzie
Connolly
Campbell
Hotton
Keeler
McLennan
Heath
Sharman
Wilkie
Peris
Caminitti

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 1:03pm I have it on good authority that 5 or 6 of the below won’t be at the club next season.

Coffield
Jones
Gresham
Crouch
Ross
NWM
Hill
Steele
Owend
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Billings
Butler
Windhager
Hayes
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Higgins
Bytel
Phillipou
Battle
Adams
Membrey
Webster
Allison
Van Ess
Wood
Paton
Highmore
Sinclair
McKenzie
Connolly
Campbell
Hotton
Keeler
McLennan
Heath
Sharman
Wilkie
Peris
Caminitti
Could be as many as ten.

We are also expecting g to recruit about the same number, give out take a rookie spot or two.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 1:03pm I have it on good authority that 5 or 6 of the below won’t be at the club next season.

Coffield
Jones
Gresham
Crouch
Ross
NWM
Hill
Steele
Owend
Clark
King
Byrnes
Stocker
Billings
Butler
Windhager
Hayes
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Higgins
Bytel
Phillipou
Battle
Adams
Membrey
Webster
Allison
Van Ess
Wood
Paton
Highmore
Sinclair
McKenzie
Connolly
Campbell
Hotton
Keeler
McLennan
Heath
Sharman
Wilkie
Peris
Caminitti
Could be as many as ten.

We are also expecting g to recruit about the same number, give or take a rookie spot or two.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Sydney is shopping pick 12 around for a forward/ruck or a tall defender.

My Swans grubbin mate reckons Saints have had chats about a player trade for pick 12.

IF this is even remotely true we have maybe Battle, Romo or Wilkie? Only Romo warrants a straight swap. But I'd be out of my mind if we did it.

I understand having pick 12&13 could be a big move up even #1. But supposedly we missed the super midfield draft last year...this year its defenders & talls. Who knows? Theres literally gems in every draft.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 2:49pm Sydney is shopping pick 12 around for a forward/ruck or a tall defender.

My Swans grubbin mate reckons Saints have had chats about a player trade for pick 12.

IF this is even remotely true we have maybe Battle, Romo or Wilkie? Only Romo warrants a straight swap. But I'd be out of my mind if we did it.

I understand having pick 12&13 could be a big move up even #1. But supposedly we missed the super midfield draft last year...this year its defenders & talls. Who knows? Theres literally gems in every draft.
If that’s true, it’s not those players. It will be Dougal Howard. He can leave and then there’s that KPP full back in the draft pick falling near that pick anyway.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 4:31pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 2:49pm Sydney is shopping pick 12 around for a forward/ruck or a tall defender.

If that’s true, it’s not those players. It will be Dougal Howard. He can leave and then there’s that KPP full back in the draft pick falling near that pick anyway.
Sure, it will be pick 12 for Dougal. And I've got a date tonight with Bella Hadid.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Im happy for Howard to go but he's not pulling any draft picks our way lol. Maybe late 3rd or early 4th round. He has some decent qualities but far too many faults in his method.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 6:51pm

Sure, it will be pick 12 for Dougal. And I've got a date tonight with Bella Hadid.
Who the f*** is Bella Hadid?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Aug 2023 8:06pm

Who the f*** is Bella Hadid?
I'm sure you've googled worse saynta 😉

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

How did you go? :D

Saint supporter since '62
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

We should double date, I’ll take one for the team and partner Gigi for the evening.

Interesting Sydney lost Alir and appear desperate to replace him and I guess Paddy Mc.

With Cordy looking very solid as a key defender losing Howard doesn’t seem as challenging as I would have once thought.

The club would want to be sure one of Van Es and Adams was likely to make the grade to trade Dooggie Howser MD IMO.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
damienc
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2023 11:13pm Is what I’m hearing

The word is
Gresham - gone
Clark - gone
Billings- gone
Coffield - gone
Jones - gone

Howard - maybe gone?

About 4 kids gone too
Adams, Allison, Connolly, Bytel

In
Dow, J Silvagni, and a buck of 3rd and 4th rounders
I am at a loss as to why you’ve been so strongly criticised for venturing this opinion.

Especially when it has a degree of logic.

Gresham, has not been re signed and unlikely to be. He won’t be at the club next year. I think he wants to leave.

Hunter Clark. An enigma. Thought he was gone last year but he stayed. A skilful player but doesn’t particularly like hard work. That would not make the coach like him. I hope he stays but not surprised if he goes.

The Billings story is a combination of injury at crucial times and a perceived lack of desire to win contested footy. I don’t think the coach is a fan. Signed until 2025 but it was before Ross was appointed. Doubt whether he will be at the club next year.

Zac Jones, his body won’t stand up to the rigours of the modern game, in the very much doubtful category.

Tom Campbell, not needed.

Coffield, again injury means we never saw the best of him and now others have gone past him.

Howard simply hasn’t played as if he’s worth $600,000 a year. No longer a vital component in defence.

Adams and Allison, simply not good enough. Never played AFL never likely to. No loss.

Bytel, too slow. Connolly again has a weakness with the defensive side to his game. It’s a shame because I really hoped he would succeed.

Daniel Mackenzie. Fantastic player when he plays which is sadly not very often because of injury. If he gets cut that will really hurt because I rate him. But I I understand why the club might let him go.

Members getting close to end of use by date especially with the club wanting to go the draft. I personally hope he stays but would understand if the club parts ways with him.

Paton’s future you would have to say is in doubt. He used to be permanently in the side until that terrible injury he suffered. Has never completely regained his form and consequently in and out of the side.

RTB is clearly building the side around the new young players and the draft.

Would not surprise me if there is a huge clean out just surprised at those not surprised this could happen.
Last edited by damienc on Sun 20 Aug 2023 2:07pm, edited 3 times in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

damienc wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 1:47pm
B.M wrote: Thu 03 Aug 2023 11:13pm Is what I’m hearing

The word is
Gresham - gone
Clark - gone
Billings- gone
Coffield - gone
Jones - gone

Howard - maybe gone?

About 4 kids gone too
Adams, Allison, Connolly, Bytel

In
Dow, J Silvagni, and a buck of 3rd and 4th rounders
I am at a loss as to why you’ve been so strongly criticised for venturing this opinion.

Especially when it has a degree of logic.

Gresham, has not been re signed and unlikely to be. He won’t be at the club next year.

The Billings story is a combination of injury at crucial times and a perceived lack of desire to win contested footy. I don’t think the coach is a fan. Still unsigned. Doubt whether he will be at the club next year.

Zac Jones, his body won’t stand up to the rigours of the modern game, in the very much doubtful category.

Tom Campbell, not needed.

Coffield, again injury means we never saw the best of him and now others have gone past him.

Howard simply hasn’t played as if he’s worth $600,000 a year. No longer a vital component in defence.

Adams and Allison, simply not good enough. Never played AFL never likely to. No loss.

Bytel, too slow. Connolly again has a weakness with the defensive side to his game. It’s a shame because I really hoped he would succeed.

Daniel Mackenzie. Fantastic player when he plays which is sadly not very often because of injury. If he gets cut that will really hurt because I rate him. But I I understand why the club might let him go.

Members getting close to end of use by date especially with the club wanting to go the draft. I personally hope he stays but would understand if the club parts ways with him.

Paton’s future you would have to say is in doubt. He used to be permanently in the side until that terrible injury he suffered. Has never completely regained his form and consequently in and out of the side.

RTB is clearly building the side around the new young players and the draft.

Would not surprise me if there is a huge clean out just surprised at those not surprised this could happen.
DC - you’re one of the brighter poster on here but this is lazy. Billings is contracted until 2025 and isn’t going anywhere - https://www.afl.com.au/news/676916/sain ... r-to-go-on

Go you red, black & white warriors
Killa
Club Player

So a Club that in all probability is going to contest finals in 2023 is going to have a clean out of its List

No doubt to bottom out in search of a Number 1 Draft Pick who is going to lead us to glory (until traded to bottom out for another Number 1 Draft Pick)

You build Lists, firstly to compete in September on a regular basis and so you maximise your chances of going all the way

The other question is what is the currency of these players in terms of replacing them with someone of greater currency?

So will we trade Clark for one of North Melbourne’s young talent who is already showing they are very capable at the level?

And there is no go home factor as with the player who left NM for Port Adelaide