Mass exodus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mass exodus

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Aug 2023 8:15pm Which one of those are actually surprising????
What's not surprising is a scatter gun list of every player who isn't playing and perhaps should be, even if on less money. How 'surprised' would you be if none of them left. Very surprised, I'd imagine.

I've heard they are all being sacked or want to leave too, they just weren't all named in one list. When you list them all at once, it's disturbing. But I'm sure we could find a similar list at every club between 5th and 10th.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We can finish anywhere between 6th and 13th, I reckon, so that means our first pick in the draft can be anywhere between 6 and 13. We will likely get a second rounder for Gresham, which will leave us with three picks inside 35, which is roughly the same hand we had last year.

It's not spectacular and once those academy and father/son picks come into play, it could mean our picks could slide a few places.

We are after midfielders, but the problem is that of the top 30 ranked players this year, midfielders are in the minority. In fact, of the top 25 ranked players there are only 2 genuine mids outside the top 6

We have a tough job ahead of us getting talented mids though this year's draft

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The real dilemma for Ross is this, if after using one year of his 4 year contract for "exploration", he only has two, possibly three if the restless natives allow it, years to recruit his full compliment of players he thinks are GF types and turn us into a sustainable top 4 side in his 3rd, maybe 4th if the restless natives allow it, year.

I wish him well, but hopefully Robert is already having some type of say in the players he thinks are GF types.

Recruitment and list management at our club is the hardest sporting job in the country.

I think the mass exodus cuts much deeper than the list BM put up, a few extra players on that list no doubt.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 7:13am We can finish anywhere between 6th and 13th, I reckon, so that means our first pick in the draft can be anywhere between 6 and 13. We will likely get a second rounder for Gresham, which will leave us with three picks inside 35, which is roughly the same hand we had last year.

It's not spectacular and once those academy and father/son picks come into play, it could mean our picks could slide a few places.

We are after midfielders, but the problem is that of the top 30 ranked players this year, midfielders are in the minority. In fact, of the top 25 ranked players there are only 2 genuine mids outside the top 6

We have a tough job ahead of us getting talented mids though this year's draft
One of potentially the best midfield drafts in a decade (2022) we failed to move to get any gold. It would've been very costly so we did what we could. We did ok.

But now we have limited options in the draft and 2024 is coming with a supposed sweet midfielder group...but will we seek Big Ben ?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"One of potentially the best midfield drafts in a decade (2022) we failed to move to get any gold. It would've been very costly so we did what we could. We did ok." (St-Lee).

Ollie Hotton?

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 9:22am "One of potentially the best midfield drafts in a decade (2022) we failed to move to get any gold. It would've been very costly so we did what we could. We did ok." (St-Lee).

Ollie Hotton?
We literally drafted Phillipou (Mid-Fwd) in the Bont/Fyfe mould and Hotton as an extractor/clearance winner in the Taranto mould that year. I think we nailed all of those picks with best available.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 9:45am
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 9:22am "One of potentially the best midfield drafts in a decade (2022) we failed to move to get any gold. It would've been very costly so we did what we could. We did ok." (St-Lee).

Ollie Hotton?
We literally drafted Phillipou (Mid-Fwd) in the Bont/Fyfe mould and Hotton as an extractor/clearance winner in the Taranto mould that year. I think we nailed all of those picks with best available.
We should wait until we see Hotton play some AFL before we judge his GF type credentials.

And really you need to wait at least around 3 seasons at AFL level before knowing how if a player will be a GF capable type. So players like Pou, Owens and Windy have got a few seasons still to announce themselves as bonfides but have gotten off to a good start.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Ollie Hotton?
Definitely looks to have potential, I also think Mattaes Phillipou has a future as a tall mid

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Ollie Hotton?
Yes, we did pretty good with what we had, we missed the pure gold but theres plenty to like and hopefully long careers for Ollie & Philipou

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 10:21am

Ollie Hotton?
We should wait until we see Hotton play some AFL before we judge his GF type credentials.

And really you need to wait at least around 3 seasons at AFL level before knowing how if a player will be a GF capable type. So players like Pou, Owens and Windy have got a few seasons still to announce themselves as bonfides but have gotten off to a good start.
There have been plenty of duds that have played well in a Grand Final.

Shane bloody Ellis and Troy f****** Bond come to mind.

Will Langford did SFA after his performance in the GF.

There have been plenty of others.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The only two I care about on that list are Clark and Coffield. Would be bitterly disappointed if they were to leave

#1 Ryder fan
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

See I reckon there’s some truth to this.

The one thing RTB prizes amongst everyone else is an elite attitude to prep and dedication to do the work. Whether it’s because it’s not his strength or he just can’t be bothered with it… he really doesn’t want to spend the time trying to motivate players or get them to buy in.

With the exception of Coffield…
Everyone on that list has either had their work rate or their ability to follow an instruction questioned… or they’re just clearly a grade below(in the coach’s opinion).

Clark - no elite body
Gresh - selfish style
Billings - doesn’t get fit enough
Jones - boozer
Bytel - not good enough
Howard- value for money?

Coffield is odd because he doesn’t fit the bill for any of that… a training beast that has sustained a good, full year.

Interesting times

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 2:05pm

Ollie Hotton?

So what you are saying is we've been good a finding GF types...for other teams.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 2:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 2:05pm

Ollie Hotton?

So what you are saying is we've been good a finding GF types...for other teams.
Ha ha….NO

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The only way to get up the order is trade with a club like GC who need points for academy players.

Getting a swag of 2nd and 3rd rounders would do this.

I wouldn’t trust us taking 2nd and 3rd round picks in the draft, our history is not that strong.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Ollie Hotton?

Vortex what are you on about? These are the words of draft recruiters with credentials. Hotton has been liked to Taranto since his draft year. Go watch him at Sandy.

I don’t agree with the three seasons rule. Do you just make random s***?

What is GF capable or types? Grand final capable? Owens has proved he’s a gun. He’s touted as one of the best ranking players this year with champion data. NWM is killing it off half back. Windy has shut down big time players in his first year. Phillipou is the youngest kid playing in the AFL right now and he’s tracking stats wise on par with Bont and Fyfe. All of these players have gotten rising star nominations. I don’t need to wait 3 seasons to know that these kids will be guns because everyone develops differently.

Let’s apply your logic to our current list. 3 seasons and Greah, Billings, Jones, DMAC and Byrnes (although has been really good last two games) have shown nothing and continue to show nothing and will not ever live up to their potential.

I’ve seen enough with the last two year draft groups to know they will take us forward. Happy to liken them to any star.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 5:18pm The only way to get up the order is trade with a club like GC who need points for academy players.

Getting a swag of 2nd and 3rd rounders would do this.

I wouldn’t trust us taking 2nd and 3rd round picks in the draft, our history is not that strong.
I agree we need to get in on this.

Need to get Darcy Wilson (midfielder) or the other Darcy who is the big 200cm and still growing key back.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 6:35pm

Ollie Hotton?

Vortex what are you on about? These are the words of draft recruiters with credentials. Hotton has been liked to Taranto since his draft year. Go watch him at Sandy.

What is GF capable or types? Grand final capable? Owens has proved he’s a gun. He’s touted as one of the best ranking players this year with champion data. NWM is killing it off half back. Windy has shut down big time players in his first year. Phillipou is the youngest kid playing in the AFL right now and he’s tracking stats wise on par with Bont and Fyfe. All of these players have gotten rising star nominations. I don’t need to wait 3 seasons to know that these kids will be guns because everyone develops differently.

Let’s apply your logic to our current list. 3 seasons and Greah, Billings, Jones, DMAC and Byrnes (although has been really good last two games) have shown nothing and continue to show nothing and will not ever live up to their potential.

I’ve seen enough with the last two year draft groups to know they will take us forward. Happy to liken them to any star.
There's a loooooooong way to go before we can book GF tickets.

Looking forward to Taranto Mk2 playing his first game though.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 6:47pm

Ollie Hotton?

I do agree. I don’t think we are anywhere near a grandfinal. I think we will be pushing in Ross Lyons 4th year.

I am looking forward to Hotton the Taranato mk2. He doesn’t butcher the ball as much as Taranto but needs to work on his set shot. He’s one good preseason away from being unleashed.

I’m more excited about Moose and Keeler. Keeler shows little flashes of god tier ruckman and key forward eliteness like Paddy Ryder (can I make another comparison without getting told off Vort?) whom he was likened too.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

The way people just make things up on here and then others pick it up as factual narrative is shocking.

Literally zero public/media talk about an 'exodus'

Most of players on that list- which again is fiction- have been mentioned more as being shopped around or potentially not playing football at all vs leaving of their own accord.

The narrative that were struggling as a club because we don't win every single week is madness also. Almost no club this year has! Look at the pies last fortnight for example.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hotton is the young mid we've been waiting for. I've said previously that I expect him to be in our midfield from round one next year. He'll add speed and class to a stodgy, workmanlike group.

Heath is incrementally improving and will be capable of playing some AFL football by mid 2024. Needs 5kg added to his frame and needs to improve his endurance. He should manage to do both.

Keeler has tricks that very few players his height possess. For him it's about fitness and mental application. His talent certainly won't hold him back.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 8:43pm Hotton is the young mid we've been waiting for. I've said previously that I expect him to be in our midfield from round one next year. He'll add speed and class to a stodgy, workmanlike group.

Heath is incrementally improving and will be capable of playing some AFL football by mid 2024. Needs 5kg added to his frame and needs to improve his endurance. He should manage to do both.

Keeler has tricks that very few players his height possess. For him it's about fitness and mental application. His talent certainly won't hold him back.

If you're correct that is very exciting.

A 2025 midfield of the below. (Ages below the age they will be then)

Crouch 31
Steele 29
Clark 26
Byrnes 24
Windhager 22
Owens 21
Pou 20
Hotton 20

Wings
Hill 32
Wood 31
Milera 22

Rucks
Marshall 29
Heath 22

That's an exciting core already!

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 8:08pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 6:47pm

Ollie Hotton?

I do agree. I don’t think we are anywhere near a grandfinal. I think we will be pushing in Ross Lyons 4th year.

I am looking forward to Hotton the Taranato mk2. He doesn’t butcher the ball as much as Taranto but needs to work on his set shot. He’s one good preseason away from being unleashed.

I’m more excited about Moose and Keeler. Keeler shows little flashes of god tier ruckman and key forward eliteness like Paddy Ryder (can I make another comparison without getting told off Vort?) whom he was likened too.
Been many a kid who looks good at the feeder level, a big jump up to AFL level, if they start looking like hall of famers at the grade then that’s when I get excited…not so much before then.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 8:27pm The way people just make things up on here and then others pick it up as factual narrative is shocking.

Literally zero public/media talk about an 'exodus'

Most of players on that list- which again is fiction- have been mentioned more as being shopped around or potentially not playing football at all vs leaving of their own accord.

The narrative that were struggling as a club because we don't win every single week is madness also. Almost no club this year has! Look at the pies last fortnight for example.
It’s called
“I wanna be ITK….”
It’s all Herald Sun stuff
Gresh to Hawks is BF latest

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I am definitely not in the know

Never was, never will be, don’t really care about that?!

All I know is

Those players are either

Not resigned or contracted
Not in the team
Not playing well
Out of position
Out of favour

Or wanting to leave
Eg, Hunter, Gresham