This year's draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

This year's draft

Cal Twomey has put out his July top 20, and it's stacked with Academy players and father/sons......and guess what? None are tied to us.

There is bugger all available midfield talent that would be available to us.

If our first pick is outside the top 5, the odds of us snaring a high quality mid with our first pick will be extremely thin

Chris Toce has a tough job ahead of him

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: This year's draft

But I'm sure there'll continue to be a deafening chorus of posters on here saying "clear out all the dead wood, make a statement."

AFAIC, we are going to be looking to the likes of Ross, Crouch, Billings, Byrnes and possibly Bytel for as long as they are prepared to keep playing for us. And we are also going to be looking to Windhager, Owens and Phillipou to keep on developing and to begin to make a serious impact on games through the midfield.

We might pick up another Dal Santo or Montagna with a pick outside the top 10, but we'd be made to count on doing that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 5:55pm But I'm sure there'll continue to be a deafening chorus of posters on here saying "clear out all the dead wood, make a statement."

AFAIC, we are going to be looking to the likes of Ross, Crouch, Billings, Byrnes and possibly Bytel for as long as they are prepared to keep playing for us. And we are also going to be looking to Windhager, Owens and Phillipou to keep on developing and to begin to make a serious impact on games through the midfield.

We might pick up another Dal Santo or Montagna with a pick outside the top 10, but we'd be made to count on doing that.
Sad, but realistic and f****** true.

BadRossco
Club Player

May not be a worry on current form we will have a pick in the top 10 maybe even the top 5

Club Player

On current form we should get a priority pick.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 5:35pm Cal Twomey has put out his July top 20, and it's stacked with Academy players and father/sons......and guess what? None are tied to us.

There is bugger all available midfield talent that would be available to us.

If our first pick is outside the top 5, the odds of us snaring a high quality mid with our first pick will be extremely thin

Chris Toce has a tough job ahead of him
As far as I know, academies don't mean sh*t anymore outside of the northern states, so I wouldn't worry too much. Only the Suns, Lions, Swans and Giants can match bids inside the top 40 because the AFL are arseholes.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
wally
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 5:55pm But I'm sure there'll continue to be a deafening chorus of posters on here saying "clear out all the dead wood, make a statement."

I’m pretty sure there’s a rule on this forum about realist common sense posts.
I agree this is on the money we’re not a destination club and generally can only recruit by paying overs

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The academy kids Twomey listed were almost all Gold Coast and GWS, so we won't get access to them. Combine that with two father/sons inside the top 20 it's effectively a compromised draft.

I think it's around 6 or 7 inside the top 20 who are unattainable

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

What I want to happen: Ideally I want to trade Gresham out and do a first round pick swap (if we finish higher than Carlton) for Paddy Dow and our compo pick. With that pick swap we should be looking around that 10 spot and land a gun midfielder in Darcy Wilson. He’s a two way runner, burst speed, good ball user and most importantly kicks goals. Likened to a JHF / Petracca type.

What will actually happen. We trade out Gresham get a late round 2 or early round 3 pick. We will land key Defender Sandy Dragons 200cm (and still growing) Ollie Murphy.

Im okay with that.

Means we got going forward last three years drafts picks:

DEF - MURPHY (FB), NWM (HB)

MID - OWENS (ROVER / HF), PHILLIPOU (RUCK ROVER / HF)

CEN - HEATH (RUCK), WINDHAGER (C)

FWD - KING (FF), PERIS (FP), CAMINITI (CHF), KEELER (CHF / ROT RUCK)

Looking at the above still need to draft another inside mid, some outside elite wingers or an elite HBF to free NWM on the wing and a few back man with good intercepting marks, pace and elite disposal. We are building nicely.