The run home

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: The run home

Vortex wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:17pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:00pm
He was contracted to rebuild the list
I wasn't aware that's why he was contracted. Most coaches who go through a rebuild phase don't last the journey.

The media were highlighting the fact that most coaches who come in for a rebuild get sacked sooner or later.

Come to think of it...Lyon was also given the arse from Freo while they were in final stages of their rebuild.

Is that why we were after De Goey last year? Is that why we picked up Cordy? I don't think the St Kilda members and the board have the patience to hang around. I don't think Ross will want to be experiencing what Adam Simpson is going through.
so when Lyon said in his first press conference we have the salary cap of Geelong but don't have the flag do you think he thought the list was only one or two players short of serious contending list. Rhetoric question I know, the list will look dramatically different in Lyons 3rd and 4th year. Blind man on a galloping horse will tell you we have only possibly 6-8 players capable of becoming players who could stand up in the final minutes of a GF.
You're discussing 'big picture' topics. Maybe Ross was thinking total rebuild last year and preseason, but you can't ignore our early season form.

I'm sure the sponsors and the board didn't. I'm sure Ross and coaches had to reassess their goals and ambition for 2023 once we banked so many early wins

You can't deny the players the opportunity to qualify to play at least one final. I think that's one of the reasons that they haven't made wholesale changes to the team line ups most weeks. Lyon also hasn't experimented with players in different positions. Selection and line ups have generally been conservative and orthodox

Killa
Club Player

The Club look to establish a winning culture resulting in contending for the Premiership

What the first half of 2022 established was that we were establishing a (majority) winning culture

But injuries got in the way and we fell away

From there we lost Ryder, Hannebery and Geary all seasoned players and whose appearances were sporadic

But when on the park they contributed

And so to the replacement of Rattan (and I know for a fact that Brett is of the opinion that you need the players to be successful as a Coach) by Lyon who inherited the List absent the 3 I have mentioned - adding only Cordy as an experienced player and as back up

So reliance was on internal improvement and the addition of a couple of 18 year olds

And we sit where we do now - injuries again in focus

What Lyon has inherited is a List a couple of players away from a contending List - principally class KPP’s to support King and Howard and ruck support for Marshall

We have some talent in these areas, but they are kids in their first or second seasons

From there a mid who impacts also on the scoreboard (and again we have some kids who promise delivery)

So Lyon is there to apply the finishing touches - not rebuild

We trust his reputation attracts the couple of players he seeks

And we continue to Draft

Some luck with injuries and the development of our kids will be the core driver to where Lyon was appointed to lead the Club to

No one is looking to go backwards from the first half of 2022 or from where we sit now

The competition is hot and Lyon knows this

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:30pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:17pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:00pm
He was contracted to rebuild the list
I wasn't aware that's why he was contracted. Most coaches who go through a rebuild phase don't last the journey.

The media were highlighting the fact that most coaches who come in for a rebuild get sacked sooner or later.

Come to think of it...Lyon was also given the arse from Freo while they were in final stages of their rebuild.

Is that why we were after De Goey last year? Is that why we picked up Cordy? I don't think the St Kilda members and the board have the patience to hang around. I don't think Ross will want to be experiencing what Adam Simpson is going through.
so when Lyon said in his first press conference we have the salary cap of Geelong but don't have the flag do you think he thought the list was only one or two players short of serious contending list. Rhetoric question I know, the list will look dramatically different in Lyons 3rd and 4th year. Blind man on a galloping horse will tell you we have only possibly 6-8 players capable of becoming players who could stand up in the final minutes of a GF.
You're discussing 'big picture' topics. Maybe Ross was thinking total rebuild last year and preseason, but you can't ignore our early season form.

I'm sure the sponsors and the board didn't. I'm sure Ross and coaches had to reassess their goals and ambition for 2023 once we banked so many early wins

You can't deny the players the opportunity to qualify to play at least one final. I think that's one of the reasons that they haven't made wholesale changes to the team line ups most weeks. Lyon also hasn't experimented with players in different positions. Selection and line ups have generally been conservative and orthodox
conservative because there is absolutely nothing at Sandy to choose from and/or Ross just doesn't rate the players at Sandy. Early season form was at best a 4 to 6 game run, unfortunately not where premierships are won, clearly we don't have the list to go beyond middle of the ladder...at best, and that is when everything is going our way such as injuries.

Which brings me to our list fragility, because we are a middle of the ladder list, meaning we are capable of maybe a prelim final if we have amazing luck with injury, or we are a 10th to 15th team with injuries to only a few of our better players as evident for the past 5-7 years. This year we are very much looking like that 10th to 15th team.Totally disagree our early success changed Ross's mind about what needs to be done.

We haven't made wholesale changes because the what changes can be made, I mean seriously there are zero AFL capable players at Sandy and as I say, had it not been for the remarkably poor performance of all clubs below 4th since the 60s then we would already be in that 10th to 15th spot on the ladder.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 9:26pm
conservative because there is absolutely nothing at Sandy to choose from and/or Ross just doesn't rate the players at Sandy.

…I mean seriously there are zero AFL capable players at Sandy and as I say, had it not been for the remarkably poor performance of all clubs below 4th …
Ok. I get your vibe.

If the coaches thought like you, we’d probably be playing like North Melbourne and West Coast. Cooper Sharman would be stuck at Sandringham and be looking to be delisted at years end. Jack Bytel, Max Heath and all our listed players should be looking for new careers and a new occupation in 2024.

Somehow, we’ve fluked some wins but not many players are worthy of playing in a Grand Final. The team isn’t worthy of the top 8. They’re just making up the numbers.

If you’re not in the seniors now, you don’t deserve to be.

Shame that you want (or feel the need) to contribute to a thread where some of us still have hope

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 7:31pm Vort meant to post under the Caroline Wilson willing failure forum.
👍

Killa
Club Player

Apart from Hill we have not recruited any class performers who remain on our List

We just have not been active in that area apart from Carlisle, Hannebery, Ryder and Crouch

Unlike some other Clubs

We need to get active in this space (and the expectation is Lyon as Coach will assist)

Our experience currently is Hill, then Ross and Webster (both 30) and Wood

I leave Campbell and Cordy out because they are back up given the demographics of our List

We are reliant on players such as Clark, Coffield, Billings, Gresham, Steele, Marshall, Howard, Wilkie, Sinclair as mid aged players now with experience

Battle I include but undersized for a KPP

Then it is down to Higgins, King (now out for 5 weeks), Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou and Caminiti all of whom have shown a bit at the level

Then we look to Adams (who shut down his opponent on the weekend), Heath, Van Es, Keeler plus those of mid field size

So who are you not investing in to improve and lift the performance of this side to the next level?

Add a couple of class players suiting our requirements and this side will prosper

It is a competition

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 11:58am Not if we continue to let opposition defenders dominate and control games
Its probably better at this stage than just letting their midfield and forwards dominate.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 9:45pm
conservative because there is absolutely nothing at Sandy to choose from and/or Ross just doesn't rate the players at Sandy.

…I mean seriously there are zero AFL capable players at Sandy and as I say, had it not been for the remarkably poor performance of all clubs below 4th …
Ok. I get your vibe.

If the coaches thought like you, we’d probably be playing like North Melbourne and West Coast. Cooper Sharman would be stuck at Sandringham and be looking to be delisted at years end. Jack Bytel, Max Heath and all our listed players should be looking for new careers and a new occupation in 2024.

Somehow, we’ve fluked some wins but not many players are worthy of playing in a Grand Final. The team isn’t worthy of the top 8. They’re just making up the numbers.

Shame that you want (or feel the need) to contribute to a thread where some of us still have hope
Hope is all you got.

Sharman is getting a game because there are no other options, that’s the predicament and there are many other players in the seniors not because they have earn’t their spot, but rather because we have zero options at Sandy, and it’s been that way for a few years.

Reality is harsh sometimes.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 9:45pm

Ok. I get your vibe.

Hope is all you got.

Sharman is getting a game because there are no other options, that’s the predicament and there are many other players in the seniors not because they have earn’t their spot, but rather because we have zero options at Sandy, and it’s been that way for a few years.

Reality is harsh sometimes.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

For those who came in late:
yes, its the Cooper Sharman whose kick went straight through the middle like an arrow Friday night. The one who marked over S. May.
The hope referred to is that Cooper fails because the egg on someone's face is getting a bit whiffy.
Standing in the last quarter of a GF is a line generated by ChatGPT referring to viewing room in a sponsors box; often used wildly out of context here which is why it sounds so random and obsessively weird (who is even in the fictional grand final and what is the score). It makes no sense for players to sit down when playing and AI gets that. However some users of AI.....

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is the new Battle. Doesn't have a home.

Find him a place and he will shine.

Can't just use him as a patch repair forever.

He is smart enough to play deepest forward, and should play that role. Even with Membrey and King back in the side.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 7:27pm Sharman is the new Battle. Doesn't have a home.

He is smart enough to play deepest forward, and should play that role. Even with Membrey and King back in the side.
I agree
Sharman has shown
1. Good foot skills- can hit targets
2. Smart decision making
We don’t have an abundance of both
Must keep find a spot
Ross sees something that’s why he’s kept him in

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

As I put elsewhere, the sides playing now we have lost to over the past 3 weeks (WCE in Perth in between), losing by 28 and 21 points

With Andrews then May BOG

So we must have been getting the ball in there against both

Mind you, we had teenagers versus very experienced defences, defences led by Andrews and May

Some don’t look at who the results are against

Given Brisbane and Melbourne keep winning (after tonight) we have played both of them

Noting we go to Brisbane (so play them twice)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:51am For those who came in late:
yes, its the Cooper Sharman whose kick went straight through the middle like an arrow Friday night. The one who marked over S. May.
The hope referred to is that Cooper fails because the egg on someone's face is getting a bit whiffy.
Standing in the last quarter of a GF is a line generated by ChatGPT referring to viewing room in a sponsors box; often used wildly out of context here which is why it sounds so random and obsessively weird (who is even in the fictional grand final and what is the score). It makes no sense for players to sit down when playing and AI gets that. However some users of AI.....
Hey if you are all alone and have noone to share your life with have you considered buying a kitten?

Just thought I’d suggest a kitten before you get mixed up with ChatGPT while still trying to get the hang of phpBB.

Blue Rinse Brigade Patrol for the internetty.

You’re welcome,

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 14 Jul 2023 10:43pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 7:27pm Sharman is the new Battle. Doesn't have a home.

I agree
Sharman has shown
2. Smart decision making
Must keep find a spot
I’ve heard Sharms has been nicknamed Cooper Bradbury down at Sandy. A big run home for big noggin.
Let’s hope ya boy comes in.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 12:02am

I agree
Sharman has shown
2. Smart decision making
Must keep find a spot
I’ve heard Sharms has been nicknamed Cooper Bradbury down at Sandy. A big run home for big noggin.
I’ve heard he’s being offered a new contract….you gonna need something to wipe that egg off your face and crap off your chin…maybe wash it all down with a cold Coopers Pale Ale?

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 12:09am

I agree
Sharman has shown
2. Smart decision making
Must keep find a spot
I’ve heard he’s being offered a new contract….you gonna need something to wipe that egg off your face and crap off your chin…maybe wash it all down with a cold Coopers Pale Ale?
Yeah I’ve heard that too….at Woodville

Killa
Club Player

Interesting is that of our 7 losses, 4 have been against the top 4 sides, the greatest margin in those losses being by 28 points.

In 2 of those losses (and the largest 2 losses), the BOG has been a key defender (Andrews and May) reflecting that we must have got the ball into goal scoring positions and, by extension, had winning opportunities given greater scoring efficiency.

From there we have lost to Adelaide (9th and our worst loss), Richmond (13th) and Hawthorn (16th).

Today we play the side sitting 14th.

We have beaten Essendon (5th), Western Bulldogs (7th), GWS (10th), Sydney (11th), Carlton (12th), Gold Coast (14th), Fremantle (15th), North Melbourne (17th) and WCE (18th).

We have not played Geelong (8th).

As Lyon says, the Premiership Ladder does not lie.

We need to keep beating the sides below us.

Then get another crack at the sides who have beaten us.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Today is important. We can't start losing to sides like the Suns or where will we be?

To be honest I would be more worried today about this one if Dew was still coaching.

Winning today is huge, because if we win this one, the next five matches are all at home.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree
Sharman has shown
2. Smart decision making
Must keep find a spot
Not a bad drop. And well done to Cooper Sharman today. He's a keeper

Can you imagine how many goals he'd kick if he was a forward getting delivery from Geelong players?

He'd probably kick 50 a year as the third tall?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As far as the run home is concerned...the best thing for us would be if North Melbourne have a hard fought battle with Hawthorn and they hopefully get a win tomorrow

Then that will take the pressure off them and they won't come out breathing fire.

That's if...if...the club is aiming for finals. Fans and supporters are...but maybe our coach and recruiters and list management want a high draft pick

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:51am

I agree
Sharman has shown
2. Smart decision making
Must keep find a spot
Yeah I’ve heard that too….at Woodville
Lol in the votes today …bet that hurt..
You might have to stick that Woodville contract right up your clacker ??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:28pm As far as the run home is concerned...the best thing for us would be if North Melbourne have a hard fought battle with Hawthorn and they hopefully get a win tomorrow

Then that will take the pressure off them and they won't come out breathing fire.

That's if...if...the club is aiming for finals. Fans and supporters are...but maybe our coach and recruiters and list management want a high draft pick
Get the pick
Finals a smoke screen
Play kids
Future time we’ve all seen enough
Leadership also needs an overhaul

“Yeah….nah””
sks023
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:43am
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:28pm As far as the run home is concerned...the best thing for us would be if North Melbourne have a hard fought battle with Hawthorn and they hopefully get a win tomorrow

Get the pick
Finals a smoke screen
Play kids
Future time we’ve all seen enough
Leadership also needs an overhaul
When do you think we will be up to scratch ?

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:51am For those who came in late:
nailed it.