Windhager and protected area

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Windhager and protected area

Simply appalling umpiring

The law states that there is a 5metre protected area behind the player which cannot be entered until kick is taken or play on called

So when Marcus takes the mark in the middle of the ground and is tackled by a player standing literally right behind him it has to be a 50 metre penalty

These decisions are not complicated or gray

Don’t get me started on the non in the back to Caminiti

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Windhager and protected area

💯 spot on. It’s 50 and a shot on goal to us.

Umpire chose to ignore a clear infringement

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
maverick
Saintsational Legend

And petracca did the same thing running behind dougal

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Adding another umpire hasn't helped, they all missed these blatant ones that a 12 y.o. ump in a suburban comp would get right

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
repta
Club Player

Couldn't believe they bought that back.
An acknowledgement by the umpire but no 50m to a clear breach.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 1:48am Adding another umpire hasn't helped, they all missed these blatant ones that a 12 y.o. ump in a suburban comp would get right
You are 100% right - we had 27 incompetent Not-professional Non-Accountable inconsistent Umpires last year - now we need 36 of them.

Make them:
- Professional
- Accountable
- Semi-competent
- Schooled on consistency

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not the reason why we lost so not allowed to talk about it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 9:25am Not the reason why we lost so not allowed to talk about it.
Says The_Dud - I am sorry - but would you go to a law firm who called themselves Dud, Stupid and Lame.

I am a Sainter_Dad - he is The_Dud

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hi time the dud removed that ratten photo and put his own image in his avatar.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Just removing the photo of Ratten would satisfy me.
But given that he hasn’t by now tells me everything I need to know about him.

older saint
SS Life Member

4 umpires means last year each game 1 wasn't good enough. last nighty number 1 was appalling and got bailed out by out of zone umpires on multiple occasions including Owens high tackle after the poor handball in the square.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me umpires have largely stopped policing the protected area, concentrating instead on the "stand rule" ; allow more illegal off the ball blocks, very selective about in the backs', and have given up on serious attempts to police the try to dispose of the ball when tackled requirement: many players just hang on, fall forward and pretend through jerky body movements or just submit in possession. Looks like the AFL Operations Dept. has stopped caring about a holistic application of the rules of the game, consequently game is reverting to pre-Hocking stoppages. Tackles are certainly not being rewarded, time to dispose seems to be increasing to ridiculous lengths and players more and more deliberately loitering in/behind the protected zones and obstructing ball movement by being "clumsy". Umpires seem to be deciding which rules to apply and when. Steven May has a licence to throw.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 9:40am Seems to me umpires have largely stopped policing the protected area, concentrating instead on the "stand rule" ; allow more illegal off the ball blocks, very selective about in the backs', and have given up on serious attempts to police the try to dispose of the ball when tackled requirement: many players just hang on, fall forward and pretend through jerky body movements or just submit in possession. Looks like the AFL Operations Dept. has stopped caring about a holistic application of the rules of the game, consequently game is reverting to pre-Hocking stoppages. Tackles are certainly not being rewarded, time to dispose seems to be increasing to ridiculous lengths and players more and more deliberately loitering in/behind the protected zones and obstructing ball movement by being "clumsy". Umpires seem to be deciding which rules to apply and when. Steven May has a licence to throw.
Yes Steven May threw the ball at least 3 times which were blatant.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Angus Brayshaw throws the ball more often than he handballs it.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 9:40am Seems to me umpires have largely stopped policing the protected area, concentrating instead on the "stand rule" ; allow more illegal off the ball blocks, very selective about in the backs', and have given up on serious attempts to police the try to dispose of the ball when tackled requirement: many players just hang on, fall forward and pretend through jerky body movements or just submit in possession. Looks like the AFL Operations Dept. has stopped caring about a holistic application of the rules of the game, consequently game is reverting to pre-Hocking stoppages. Tackles are certainly not being rewarded, time to dispose seems to be increasing to ridiculous lengths and players more and more deliberately loitering in/behind the protected zones and obstructing ball movement by being "clumsy". Umpires seem to be deciding which rules to apply and when. Steven May has a licence to throw.
You are WRONG!!!!! The_Dud says so.

― Aristophanes

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The protected area is not protected. It's not an umpire interpretation issue but the rule needs tweaking.

My suggestion is: Other than the player standing the mark, opposing players are not to interfere in play in the protected area until they have moved outside of the original protected area (and play on is called).

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 8:31am
You are WRONG!!!!! The_Dud says so.
Fair enough.
A good feature of this forum is it indulges posters like me who say wrong things to do that out loud and then reflect at how they sound/read/are received, at leisure.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Wowee, didn’t realise I was so popular! Probably no need for me to reply, best just leave this circle jerk to continue, but… 😁

Was it the umpires who missed all those easy shots at goal?

Was it the umpires who fluffed so many golden opportunities to score?

Was it the umpires who turned the ball over repeatedly?

Was it the umpires who continued to kick the ball to May over and over and over again?

We won nearly all the important stats, AND the free kick count 19-15. There’s only one group to blame for the loss in that game.

BUT I am confused, as it seams we have so many posters highly concerned with the quality of umpiring, starting multiple threads, but…

Where was the thread and outrage about fair umpiring when we won the free kick count 28-14??

Where was the thread and outrage about fair umpiring when we won the free kick count 25-12??

Where was the concern about 50m penalties after the Sydney game??

Where is the weekly updated thread with the free kick count for the season, that was such a favourite for the usuals to frequent? After all the free kick count has been the ‘rock solid evidence’ for systematic cheating against the Saints for years, and all of a sudden… 🤷‍♂️

I’m just concerned for you guys, as I know you’re all so passionate about the quality of umpiring, and I’d hate for you to be labelled hypocrites, or worse.

+50 on the year. Swings and roundabouts. 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud, you may be miss comparing quantitative with qualitative. Aggregate figures don't drill down to the blatantly wrong decisions and their immediate impact. A few wrong calls Sat night were diabolical and hurt us significantly. Maybe the roundabout will turn but it won't change past results. Might come when not even needed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 11:09pm Wowee, didn’t realise I was so popular! Probably no need for me to reply, best just leave this circle jerk to continue, but… 😁

Was it the umpires who missed all those easy shots at goal?

Was it the umpires who fluffed so many golden opportunities to score?

Was it the umpires who turned the ball over repeatedly?

Was it the umpires who continued to kick the ball to May over and over and over again?

We won nearly all the important stats, AND the free kick count 19-15. There’s only one group to blame for the loss in that game.

BUT I am confused, as it seams we have so many posters highly concerned with the quality of umpiring, starting multiple threads, but…

Where was the thread and outrage about fair umpiring when we won the free kick count 28-14??

Where was the thread and outrage about fair umpiring when we won the free kick count 25-12??

Where was the concern about 50m penalties after the Sydney game??

Where is the weekly updated thread with the free kick count for the season, that was such a favourite for the usuals to frequent? After all the free kick count has been the ‘rock solid evidence’ for systematic cheating against the Saints for years, and all of a sudden… 🤷‍♂️

I’m just concerned for you guys, as I know you’re all so passionate about the quality of umpiring, and I’d hate for you to be labelled hypocrites, or worse.

+50 on the year. Swings and roundabouts. 👍

This is Duds way of saying the umpire made a blatant mistake.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Watched Dogs v Shitney tonight, umps were realistic with telling guys on the mark to stand, also giving guy with ball a better chance to kick w/out impediment, polar opposite of how they treat us

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee