Howard’s Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Howard’s Game

I thought after half time we saw the old Howard

He imposed himself physically and that allowed Wilkie a better opportunity to intercept and play his game

Yes he mucked up a handball near the end and Cadman kicked an assy goal on him but generally

I thought his second half was good

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Howard’s Game

Got some ball in the F50 which was interesting.

Aside from a dud handball was solid as usual.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you: in fact I reckon Howard had a pretty good game in general.

But we’re pushing the proverbial uphill trying to persuade the people on a fan forum, who are inclined to fixate overly on mistakes that lead to goals. And who also tend to have their scapegoats.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

When Howard has a shocker, he makes it count. He’s still prone yo his brain fades under pressure.

However, his second half was good today.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Concerned about how he matches up on the bigger bodied forwards.
Wouldn't be surprised if we have a crack at the North Melbourne bloke

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

His effort in the contest where Hogan took a mark and kicked a goal was poor

Otherwise ok

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

did fine. excellent disposal as always. his critics play up a few mistakes and ignore similar from others. certainly given up far less goals this season than any of our forwards have given up by missing sitters.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If we end up landing a monster fb it will be interesting how they play Howard.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 12:56am If we end up landing a monster fb it will be interesting how they play Howard.
If Adams or Van Es come on as a KPD, Howard won't play.

older saint
SS Life Member

Thought he was average until the last qtr. Made Hogan look like the hogan when he was at Melb.

Sure it wont happen but temptation should exist to replace him with Highmore - Kosi and Lewis are not monsters we are up against this week.

Hopefully last qtr was the turning point.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me or has he put on a couple of kilos? Just appears a tad slower and perhaps slightly less agile from when he first arrived at the club. In any event, hard to replace a 200cm defender. All we need from him is to square his duels and not do too many unforced errors. He’ll never be Darcy Moore but he’s the best we’ve got

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 10:15am Thought he was average until the last qtr. Made Hogan look like the hogan when he was at Melb.

Sure it wont happen but temptation should exist to replace him with Highmore - Kosi and Lewis are not monsters we are up against this week.

Are you kidding

Howard 199cm 94kg v Highmore 193 89, so Highmore fractionally bigger than Owens. No one that size can go against the big forwards

Also fyi Lewis is 199 and 99 (he would crush Highmore)

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
older saint
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 2:29pm
older saint wrote: Mon 22 May 2023 10:15am Thought he was average until the last qtr. Made Hogan look like the hogan when he was at Melb.

Are you kidding

Howard 199cm 94kg v Highmore 193 89, so Highmore fractionally bigger than Owens. No one that size can go against the big forwards

Also fyi Lewis is 199 and 99 (he would crush Highmore)
No nit kidding and not have highmore play the key back - he plays third tall and battle takes a bigger player using strength to move them .
like i said it wont happen , just an idea as 7 poor qtrs in a row, although as mentioned hopefully final qr turned things around

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

When Howard gets possession he is elite in disposal.

He has faults in his game, cretainly struggles against the beasts & when under duress will occassionally act munted...usually leading to opponents scoring.

Yet, he would be immediately snapped up if on the market. I'm confident of that.

Saints58
Club Player

I don't know if you watch the VFL but I do and every time I see Highmore he turns the ball over, last week he tired to kick to the corridor 3 times which got picked off 3 goals to the opposition, and he can not hit targets very often.

We do have some young guys doing ok in the 2s batches report on Adams is that he is doing ok and improving with his size could be a KPD at 198cm 87kg needs to put on weight would be good if he got a game later in season if his form warrants it.

Van es is a massive unit and also plays as a KPD he is not doing as well as Adams but is still only 18 but at 196cm and 101kg has good pace as well.

Up forward there is Keeler who has not done a pre season and only played 3 VFL games is doing ok still struggles but a work in progress he is all so big at 198cm 91kg but is very mobile exciting prospect, I didn't here he has grown to 200cm he looked same height as Campbell at training.

older saint
SS Life Member

Saints58 wrote: Wed 24 May 2023 10:20am

I don't know if you watch the VFL but I do and every time I see Highmore he turns the ball over, last week he tired to kick to the corridor 3 times which got picked off 3 goals to the opposition, and he can not hit targets very often.

We do have some young guys doing ok in the 2s batches report on Adams is that he is doing ok and improving with his size could be a KPD at 198cm 87kg needs to put on weight would be good if he got a game later in season if his form warrants it.

Van es is a massive unit and also plays as a KPD he is not doing as well as Adams but is still only 18 but at 196cm and 101kg has good pace as well.

Up forward there is Keeler who has not done a pre season and only played 3 VFL games is doing ok still struggles but a work in progress he is all so big at 198cm 91kg but is very mobile exciting prospect, I didn't here he has grown to 200cm he looked same height as Campbell at training.
Maybe a fair call but we currently have a CHB who does that also ( should be banned from attempting pin point passes) and therefore 2 could be an issue. Would like to see a turnaround in form though for Howard as i said 7 of 8 poor qtrs in last 2 games IMO means if it continues status quo cant happen regardless who you are.