What do these inclusions mean?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What do these inclusions mean?

tony74 wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 8:18pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 8:13pm I don’t know what it means… but what I want to know is what more does Windhager have to do to get a bloody game in the starting 22? I know Ross likes his structures, but he’s the answer to more run in the midfield. He can tag, he can kick a goal, he makes good decisions and his disposals and inside 50 are effective which is what we need. I’m really frustrated with selection.
Perhaps they are trying to teach Windy to be a positive midfielder rather than a negative tagger ( which he was very good at) Don’t panic, I think everyone knows his potential, he was just channeled into a certain role under Ratts and I reckon the club and coaches can see the upside in a different role. But what do I know😀😀
Got to say, I’m a little disappointed they haven’t given him a crack at playing that shut down role. We all know how well he did it last year - whilst also managing to get a kick himself. He would have been close to the best shut down mid in the league last year.

We will never know if he could have kept Daicos quiet and quelled JHF . I’m sure he could still learn a lot by playing on these guys and then unleash him in a year or 2.
How many years did Steele play as the tagger before we unleashed him ? I can’t quite remember but I think it may have been 2 ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 10:32pm The bench will be:
    Butler (has applied pressure & hit scoreboard in the last few weeks)
    I think the leading goal scorer from 2 of the last 3 weeks and third for the year will be selected on the field.

Vortex
    Saintsational Legend

It's an exploration year so surely Cordy comes straight back in as the better option for the remainder of the year and until we tread water until we reach the trade period.

Vortex
    Saintsational Legend

And as to be expected King looks like taking closer to 20 weeks for rehab.

The average is 16 to 20 weeks for his type of injury.

Good on those who got sucked into the hyperbole from the membership department and thought he'd be back by R1 to R4, or even R7.

After the bye I reckon is a possibility.

SuperDuper
    Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 10:59pm And as to be expected King looks like taking closer to 20 weeks for rehab.

Good on those who got sucked into the hyperbole from the membership department and thought he'd be back by R1 to R4, or even R7.

He injured his shoulder 4 Dec. Surgery was within a week. So he has already been out 22 weeks.

WellardSaint
    Saintsational Legend
    Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 8:13pm I don’t know what it means… but what I want to know is what more does Windhager have to do to get a bloody game in the starting 22? I know Ross likes his structures, but he’s the answer to more run in the midfield. He can tag, he can kick a goal, he makes good decisions and his disposals and inside 50 are effective which is what we need. I’m really frustrated with selection.
    I would've dropped Crouch (managed) as I don't know his numbers but since the Carlton game, he's been absent.
    Bring in Windy for him

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
    Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
    Vortex
    Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 11:08pm
    Vortex wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 10:59pm And as to be expected King looks like taking closer to 20 weeks for rehab.

He injured his shoulder 4 Dec. Surgery was within a week. So he has already been out 22 weeks.
    there you go, I knew it was past the minimum of 16 weeks for that type of injury, clearly outside the average of 16-20 weeks.

King Max
    Club Player

meher baba wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:32pm
    magnifisaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:28pm It means the bench is

Hunter Clark Dan Butler
    Ben Paton Cooper Sharman

Sub Jack Bytel

Gresham will be rested
    So no Cordy even though he’s listed ahead of Sharman and the coach clearly suggested he might be selected?
    Do you think it’s significant that Cordy is listed before Sharman?

The numbers of the players listed are:
    4, 11, 16, 21, 23, 33, 38, 43. Maybe that’s your answer.

Killa
    Club Player

Both King and Billings are coming off significant injuries - so they will be given time

The VFL bye did not favour Billings who also needs to show the ability to play to Lyon’s requirements (which he will)

King has the attraction of height - which our forward line is desperately lacking (the NM game the latest evidence)

Coffield also will be afforded all the time necessary to re-establish

Campbell has been named an emergency how many times?

The VFL side is basically developing youth - including some with good size

Sharman is the interesting one because I see him in competition with Membrey

The graduation of Owens and Phillipou to centre square responsibilities will be the next interesting development - along with Windhager returning which he will

So who of our current established mids is shuffled out?

Noting Clark and Sinclair

This potential pushing thru is going to have consequences for some

Hill and Wood have the wings - both experienced players

The foregoing is why we will improve and continue to challenge

Vortex
    Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 11:31pm

Sharman is the interesting one because I see him in competition with Membrey
    For what?...

Just when you thought the internet couldn't get more bat shyte crazy.

ace
    Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:46pm Does it mean Billing’s is on the nose?
    No, I think it means they want to see four quarters of desperation and effort.
    Superior skill not enough.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
    When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
    Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
    ace
    Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 11:31pm Sharman is the interesting one because I see him in competition with Membrey
    I see Sharman as a tall wingman who can take a mark in the vain of Mason Wood.
    But Ryan Byrnes is doing so well as a small wingman Sharman may be used as a half forward or half back but not as a inside 50 marking forward like Membrey.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
    When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
    Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
    saintbob
    SS Life Member

Windy looked a long way of it when he returnedd and probably needs a good month in the scoobie do’s to regain form and fitness.

WellardSaint
    Saintsational Legend
    Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The AFL app says Windy played 6 games this year.
    I can't remember 6 games?
    He came on as sub a few times, but 6?
    His average disposals- 8.8

Edit...checked again.
    He didn't play Rd 1, was sub in a couple of games, and was in the 23 in the others.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
    Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
    shanegrambeau
    Saintsational Legend

Hands up who thinks if Windy had played as a dedicated Nick Daicos shut-down crusher from minute one in the Collingwood game in Adelaide, we would have won?

It is definitely a tempting argument.

Alas, he is now a seconds-player, after a promising start. But he will come back.

Well, that is what we said about Andy Bichel (aka Mr. Bytel)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
    meher baba
    Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 12 May 2023 1:58am Hands up who thinks if Windy had played as a dedicated Nick Daicos shut-down crusher from minute one in the Collingwood game in Adelaide, we would have won.
    My hand is staying down.

It would have mucked up our zone defence in other ways.

Ibthink we’d have beaten the Pies if we’d taken a couple more of our chances. We came really close.

Has any team come up with an effective way of blotting N Daicos out of the game? How many teams have been able to do this to Jack Sinclair or, to go back a way, Sam Fisher?

These sorts of players are generally gonna do what they are gonna do. You don’t neutralise their effectiveness by going specifically after them. You try to limit their options further up the field. That’s the beauty of the rolling zone system when it is implemented properly.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
    - Jonathan Swift
    The_Dud
    Saintsational Legend

Secret_Vortex is hard on the promo trail after his latest embarrassing episode re Sharman :lol:

King was always after the bye, anything earlier was a bonus

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
    older saint
    SS Life Member

I think it means:

Campbell there as cover if Marshall doesn't come up;
    Weighing up whether they have another HB 7th player with Hammer in,
    Cordy cover for tall forwards
    Waiting on training to see how Gresham gets through

Teflon
    Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 11:15pm
    SuperDuper wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 11:08pm

there you go, I knew it was past the minimum of 16 weeks for that type of injury, clearly outside the average of 16-20 weeks.
    Of course you didn’t

“Yeah….nah””
    skeptic
    Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 12 May 2023 1:58am Hands up who thinks if Windy had played as a dedicated Nick Daicos shut-down crusher from minute one in the Collingwood game in Adelaide, we would have won?

It is definitely a tempting argument.

Alas, he is now a seconds-player, after a promising start. But he will come back.

Well, that is what we said about Andy Bichel (aka Mr. Bytel)
    I don’t know that I put my hand up…
    But IMO it is an area that stands out a little that is perhaps concerning. Our defensive style is based a bit too much on structure and is somewhat prone to be stagnant or non-reactive to what’s happening in real play.

To some degree it’s served us well. But I am concerned when you see a scenario like the Daicos one and we don’t react.
    An emerging trend against us so for is that key opposition mids win a lot of ball and I A LOT. We’ve leaned into the argument of possessions aren’t damaging outside of key areas… I wouldn’t mind have a de force mod like Windy available for a shut down role when necessary though

bigcarl
    Saintsational Legend

I think King would have played had this been a Marvel game. Obviously they want to get him cherry ripe.

Good to see Kid Caminiti straight back in. Our lack of contested marking targets was evident last week and not just up forward.

bigcarl
    Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 8:18pm
    Perhaps they are trying to teach Windy to be a positive midfielder rather than a negative tagger ( which he was very good at) Don’t panic, I think everyone knows his potential, he was just channeled into a certain role under Ratts and I reckon the club and coaches can see the upside in a different role. But what do I know😀😀
    I certainly don’t want him pigeonholed as merely a tagger as I think he has more to offer.

Maybe the way to get him going is to give him a job on a dangerous opponent and tell him it involves exposing his man the other way. Like the very best defenders do.

Some guys might need that sort of focus.

Beno88
    SS Hall of Fame

Gresham is out. Replaced by Connolly in the squad.

Teflon
    Saintsational Legend

These inclusions confirmed what I have long suspected…
    BM - No idea

“Yeah….nah””
    B.M
    Saintsational Legend

Let’s see how we go first - before we crow

Ross could take a dump on your plate Teflon, and you’d eat it up!

I think they are horrendous decisions- proof will be in the result?!