The quandary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: The quandary

meher baba wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:19pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:03pm Membrey shouldn’t be a walk up after 5 weeks sorry…has to push Caminiti or Pou out imo
Stick with kids until they tire or Membrey stars form wise
You might feel differently about Membrey if we lose our next 3 games, which is quite conceivable.

I reckon Max won’t be back until after the bye, so Caminit is safe for a fair while. Phillipou has been ok but not outstanding in the last two games. If Membrey were fully fit right now, he’d be very handy to have against a tough team like the Pies.
I have us down to lose 2 or next 3 doubt an under done Membrey changes that tbh

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:19pm
Phillipou has been ok but not outstanding in the last two games.
I disagree. I won't go through all his stats, and

I realise he didn't take as many high marks or personally impact the scoreboard as much as other matches, but

I would call a couple of clean ground ball gets just as important as a contested mark.

Mattaes was winning possession in all parts of the ground

He's 18 years of age, playing his 4th game of AFL and he had how many contested possessions do you think?

Only Owens, Crouch, Clark and Seb Ross had more. He doesn't get the midfield minutes these guys get either. Mattaes had 10!!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 6:38pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:31pm It's a really interesting question, is Caminiti a better tall key forward than Max King??

Based on the 4 game sample so far you would have to answer in the affirmative, he appears to have a lot more confidence than Max, takes strong grabs and has a reliable action kicking for goal.

When King becomes available I would prefer to retain Caminiti as his forward partner and maybe switch Tim Membrey to a defensive role.

King and Caminiti will be like having Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay, Hawkins and Cameron, Lynch and Riewoldt......all strong marking tall key forward duos.

In recent posts I have lamented the performance of Dougal Howard at full-back, and bugger me dead, last night in the last quarter the Suns kicked two goals that were directly attributable to bad errors by Howard - the first was a direct kick that landed straight into the arms of a Suns player, the second a 'golden punch' in a marking contest that had the same result. Do this against the top teams and that will cost games.....

Put Membrey into Howard's place and the Saints have a very experienced and strong marking 'small who plays tall' player to team up in defence with Wilkie and Battle. He's been there before when the team needed extra marking power down back and did really well.
Up there for dumbest post of the year
Caminiti better than King
Membrey replaces 200cm Howard - who had 9 interceptions with Wilkie 11….
Geezus this site never gets old…
Back to your preferred style style of scurrilous attacks on posters who have the temerity to say things you disagree with Teflon.

My argument about King and Caminiti is that the latter has had a far more impressive debut in his first 4 games than Max King, by a long shot. That doesn't not imply that I dislike or in any way diminish King's importance to St Kilda's future success, as I went on to say!

As for Howard and Membrey, you can't tell me that Membrey playing in defence would not just match Howard's interceptions, most of them would be marks instead of punches....and Membrey's disposals are 100% superior to Howard's....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Templar
Club Player

Been thinking about Max King and what the Lions did with Daniher in his last game. Putting him behind the ball playing as a running intercept defensive block. Gave him opportunities to get his hands on the ball and get in touch.

He could then push forward and have spells at full forward.

This might see a more dynamic Max King?

Or you could just use that tactic if he is out of sorts at FF or down on confidence. Bring him into the game.

Might also have worked for his brother in his past couple of games.

(Happy to be corrected about Daniher's role against the filth on Thursday but it appeared to be along these lines)

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 1:41pm
...and Membrey's disposals are 100% superior to Howard's....

I dont think that claim is deeply rooted in fact.

Heard the guys from Champion Data say a few weeks back in the lead up to R1 that Howard is in the top 3 in the league for DE% and MGs per kick.

That's why he's used to pull the trigger on kicks not too many others in the league can pull off which is used to great effect when trying to get over or through the forward press.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If King, Steele and Membrey were fit and available this week I'd pick this team:

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Stocker
C: Wood, Steele, Hill
HF: Gresham, Caminiti, Owens
F: Higgins, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Clark, Butler, Phillipou, NWM
Sub: Byrnes

Windy narrowly misses out as his production has been a bit down. Hammer and Owens provide ruck support.

That would be the best team we've fielded this year by far.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:07am We have Members, king and Steele to return
Who will be the poor buggers that have to step aside?

Our depth is real my friends
good question Colleague! EXCELLENT (ahem) "problem" for our club to have, I'd respectfully suggest. :wink: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
takeaway
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:31pm It's a really interesting question, is Caminiti a better tall key forward than Max King??

Based on the 4 game sample so far you would have to answer in the affirmative, he appears to have a lot more confidence than Max, takes strong grabs and has a reliable action kicking for goal.

When King becomes available I would prefer to retain Caminiti as his forward partner and maybe switch Tim Membrey to a defensive role.

King and Caminiti will be like having Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay, Hawkins and Cameron, Lynch and Riewoldt......all strong marking tall key forward duos.

In recent posts I have lamented the performance of Dougal Howard at full-back, and bugger me dead, last night in the last quarter the Suns kicked two goals that were directly attributable to bad errors by Howard - the first was a direct kick that landed straight into the arms of a Suns player, the second a 'golden punch' in a marking contest that had the same result. Do this against the top teams and that will cost games.....

Put Membrey into Howard's place and the Saints have a very experienced and strong marking 'small who plays tall' player to team up in defence with Wilkie and Battle. He's been there before when the team needed extra marking power down back and did really well.
Back to your preferred style style of scurrilous attacks on posters who have the temerity to say things you disagree with Teflon.

My argument about King and Caminiti is that the latter has had a far more impressive debut in his first 4 games than Max King, by a long shot. That doesn't not imply that I dislike or in any way diminish King's importance to St Kilda's future success, as I went on to say!

As for Howard and Membrey, you can't tell me that Membrey playing in defence would not just match Howard's interceptions, most of them would be marks instead of punches....and Membrey's disposals are 100% superior to Howard's....
Howard makes mistakes but replace him with the 188cm Membrey, who has never played on the tall forwards, but merely goes back to play as a spare man on occasions? ie on no one, easier for intercept marks? Most of Membrey's interceptions on the tall forward would be marks, not punches? Good grief. At least I am comfortable in the knowledge that the Saints hierarchy would never do that. As for Caminiti, revisit in a couple of years and then compare him to King.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:42pm Steele in for Byrnes, who drops back to sub. Yes Byrnes has been great but he is last in the midfield rotation and his pace coming into the game fresh as a sub is a weapon.
King is in for Cordy. Either Battle or Caminiti can give Marshall a break.
Membrey comes in for Paton. This will allow Owens to spend more time in the middle where his strength is a huge advantage.
I doubt Steele will return this week if we are lucky he will play against Carlton. Byrnes has been playing on a wing so I doubt he loses his spot. Bytel will miss a week or two if anyone misses (sub) for Steele it will be Butler, Windhager or Clark, IF we dont have any more injuries this week.

longtimesaint
Club Player

It won’t be Clark.
He has been getting better every week.

One year will be our year
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

You didn’t base it on the first 4 games
You said he was better than King
Sorry that’s utter rubbish
It’s hot nothing to do with disagreement of opinion
It’s just nonsensical
And you find me another available 200cm defender that moves like Howard right now and stop with Membrey rubbish - he’d be a midget up against the big boys down back
More rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 2:52pm

Howard makes mistakes but replace him with the 188cm Membrey, who has never played on the tall forwards, but merely goes back to play as a spare man on occasions? ie on no one, easier for intercept marks? Most of Membrey's interceptions on the tall forward would be marks, not punches? Good grief. At least I am comfortable in the knowledge that the Saints hierarchy would never do that. As for Caminiti, revisit in a couple of years and then compare him to King.
Voice of reason
Thank you

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

Given fitness and form, spots will need to be found for Steele, Membrey, Billings, King and Coffield.

Steele will return to the mid-field.

Membrey will return to a position in the forward 6 as will King and Billings.

And Coffield will return to a position in the defensive 6.

The reason being that they are all class footballers.

So, from that scenario, it is positions in the forward 6 which will be at a premium (allowing for the Interchange selections which will focus on the mid-field rotations)

Currently we have Owens and Caminiti as the forward "targets", with a "cut out" by Cordy then Phillipou as a medium with Gresham, Higgins and Butler at ground level.

Noting Gresham, Owens and Phillipou are also deployed to the mid-field rotations.

And Butler gets up and around the ground.

It would appear to me that those able to also contest at centre bounces and as part of the mid-field will have the inside running, so flexibility.

You would suggest that King will replace Cordy, Cordy then as the key defensive spare (including for match up purposes as determined)

Billings works the flanks very well, from forward to back.

Membrey has evolved to such a role.

And King brings what he brings - also higher up the ground to support Marshall as the tall target?

King is athletic enough - and RTB will lay down the challenge.

So who does that drivel leave at risk?

Including on the injury list apart from Steele, Membrey, Billings, King and Coffield?

Then there is the future, so mid field exposure to Owens and Phillipou read in that context, along with Windhager.

Then again, after we lose one or two!!!!

Isn't winning nice?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Only Steele and King walk galvanic straight in
Membrey needs week or 2 in twos
Others need solid block form to knock door down

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If it was this week:
Steele for Bytel (Byrnes or Paton sub)
King for Caminiti
Membrey for Cordy (Owens second ruck)

You can't have all of King, Membrey, Owens, Caminiti and Phillipou in the same forward line.

The other option would be King for Phillipou with Caminiti as second ruck (due to his height - but not sure he's played ruck before though).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Killa
Club Player

You select your class players

“Given fitness and form”

So given fitness and form I would expect that all of Steele, Membrey, Billings, King and Coffield will be first choice selections

And given the length of recovery time fitness and form may be required to be evidenced at VFL level

Especially if we can continue winning games - in fact, most especially

Then there is the cases being made by any knocking the door down at VFL level and consistently

One matter to give careful consideration to is the possibility of a Tasmania side and one other side joining the competition and compromised Drafts once again

So we need a core of talented youth to best position over those compromised future Drafts

We have been caught out in the past in this scenario

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If you were to pick a best 22 from a full list do you pick the blokes who finished 10th last year, or the blokes that have just gone 4-0?

King and Steele are walk up starters. Membrey next tier down but still a walk up start.

Then you have:
Billings
Coffield
Keeler
Webster
Hayes
Hotton
McKenzie
Jones
McLennan

And who do you drop if you're going to play any of those? Especially if we keep winning.

I think "managed" might be the word of 2023.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

So much stupidity in this site at times. Members is a great forward so stays forward, stupid to drop him for Howard. Howard is so underrated here. Yes he makes errors as does everyone but that is what his haters focus on. Maybe look at the good he does as well.

Play three talks so one can rotate thru the ruck to help out Roma especially if the opponent is short at the back.

Bottom line is we play the class player who are fit and rotate other younger player and journeymen when required. We have had easy teams so far and the youngsters will learn a lot from upcoming tough games. Either way gray season so far

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 6:00pm

You didn’t base it on the first 4 games
You said he was better than King
Sorry that’s utter rubbish
It’s hot nothing to do with disagreement of opinion
It’s just nonsensical
And you find me another available 200cm defender that moves like Howard right now and stop with Membrey rubbish - he’d be a midget up against the big boys down back
More rubbish
This is becoming tiresome but I'm not going to let you get away with a falsehood - go back and read what I said at the start of this post!

As for my opinions of Howard and Membrey which you consider so outrageous, let's just say that we're in total disagreement, which is not unusual between you and I....however I'm not going to be intimidated by your aggressive retorts.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Its going to happen...the lads will get worn as we hit games 6-10.
Great time to rotate them out for a rest. I mean no footy for a week at least
Hell, bring them one a week up into the box and get them involved. Really get them thinking beyond their position.

Run them in vfl then rotate back after 2-3 games if 'senior' players are not quite performing due to being underdone or just need a few weeks after coming in mid season with no 'warm up' through vfl.

Just a suggestion. Wont be headed, likely mocked and potentially see me violated in the carpark...but still I persist.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 2:31pm
...and Membrey's disposals are 100% superior to Howard's....

I dont think that claim is deeply rooted in fact.

Heard the guys from Champion Data say a few weeks back in the lead up to R1 that Howard is in the top 3 in the league for DE% and MGs per kick.

That's why he's used to pull the trigger on kicks not too many others in the league can pull off which is used to great effect when trying to get over or through the forward press.
Dougs turnovers stick out more and people jump to conclusions on the back of 1 or two clangers. If Tim misses a shot at goal or his kicks inside 50 go to a contest, it goes unnoticed.

Tim might be a very good set shot kick for goal, but he is not a good kick when it comes to field kicking. I would love to see a stat for disposal efficiency for Membrey when he tries a pass inside 50. Wouldn’t be complimentary

Dougall Howard overall disposal efficiency vs Tim Membrey

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You can’t compare efficiency stats of players who play in different positions

Defenders clearly have easier kicks to hit than players kicking out of stoppage or i50

That’s a silly comparison

And
Membrey is a beautiful kick, slow decision maker at times though

Dougal has brain fades

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As ace would say

You can’t tell a mollusc what he can and can’t do :mrgreen: 8-)

By the way, my nic isn’t based on those delicious molluscs

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:06pm Only Steele and King walk galvanic straight in
Membrey needs week or 2 in twos
Others need solid block form to knock door down
According to track watchers the injured players have been doing mini preseasons, so if Membrey is ready I think he comes straight in. If he does he will likely replace Cordy and Owens or Caminiti do the chop out ruck. The options for the sub are getting pretty scarce and given the expected wet weather perhaps Connolly to come in as the sub. Highmore deserves to be promoted over Connolly as he didnt have the greatest VFL game, he played bruise free footy but perhaps the step up will bring the best out in him? If not Connolly then Cordy as the sub as he can play forward/back and ruck if needed.