Caminiti

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caminiti

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 12:46pm Gresh was on the wrong side for a right footer and he was guilty of a few clangers before the Caminiti running long goal. He overestimates his capabilities at times

Gresh made a few selfish decisions in the first half which resulted in turnovers or wasted opportunities.

Gresh played better in the second half when he brought his team mates into the game.
Yep. Gresh was all over it.

axcellence
Club Player

Feels like more of a roaming CHF type. Had quite a few possessions outside 50.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 12:46pm Gresh was on the wrong side for a right footer and he was guilty of a few clangers before the Caminiti running long goal. He overestimates his capabilities at times

Gresh made a few selfish decisions in the first half which resulted in turnovers or wasted opportunities.

Gresh played better in the second half when he brought his team mates into the game.
I'd say everyone has overrated Gresh then if he can't straighten up and/or swing on to his crab kicker and snag an easy goal from within 30m

Who knows if Caminiti will make it but for arguments sake having a crack at goals on the run from outside 50 could quite remarkably become his one wood but let's say it ends up being like most players and it's a very low percentage shot, I'd be pretty sure ole systems and structure coach Lyon would prefer he dish it of to a player with a much higher percentage and potential to score. But as I say, we might have found that rare player who can nail a shot on the run from outside 50 almost every time, how cool would that be to have that type in our forward line.

Was bloody great though for that to be his first goal.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:00pm Feels like more of a roaming CHF type. Had quite a few possessions outside 50.
That's possibly how he will keep Sharman out of the team, Sharman has poor agility and endurance and can't wheel around and go as result.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:58am
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:43am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:37am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:29am I love how he and Pou took it upon themselves and had the confidence to have a shot from outside 50 when they were in good position.
Yeah, that speaks volumes.

It points out to the opposition that you aren't safe anytime and you better structure to actually defend and not 'pussy'- foot around in a blocking zone trying to intercept.
Should Caminiti have dished it off to Gresh for that first goal of his, how do you think Lyon will have reviewed that? especially in the context of playing the percentages and he misses?
I'm happy for a guy like Caminiti to back himself. Same with Pou and any first year player really.

The team aspect is something that comes along in time. These young blokes need to be backed in to try things and have confidence in their ability and talent. It builds self belief.

I remember Gresh in his early years kicking some miraculous goals by baulking and selling candy but what usually happens is that opposition teams learn to defend against it.

I agree that at some point when the selfish habits continue and mistakes are made, that players need to be pulled up.
I also think there’s another consideration… it’s kind of hard to describe…

I was never an elite sportsman at anything but periodically in football or basketball… would find myself in a moment where I get the ball ahead of a play:
- the ball fits right into the correct groves
- the balance is perfect
- am in the right spot

I knew exactly what I was going to do and knew with 100% certainty that I’m going to nail it. It’s not a wish and hope thing but rather a “you’re in the zone”.

I got that impression with this goal…
Did a great play, had it, balance was perfect, open forward line, 100% certainty in the moment that he was going to mail that… why add the extra step?

In my opinion (and if I’m right), I say you take that shot every time

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:08pm

I'd say everyone has overrated Gresh then if he can't straighten up and/or swing on to his crab kicker and snag an easy goal from within 30m

Who knows if Caminiti will make it but for arguments sake having a crack at goals on the run from outside 50 could quite remarkably become his one wood but let's say it ends up being like most players and it's a very low percentage shot, I'd be pretty sure ole systems and structure coach Lyon would prefer he dish it of to a player with a much higher percentage and potential to score. But as I say, we might have found that rare player who can nail a shot on the run from outside 50 almost every time, how cool would that be to have that type in our forward line.

The best forwards make low possessions attempts a structural nightmare.
In context, he stamped his foot on the game, as did Phillipou last night and Byrnes last week, not on his first attempt or even in a dominant fashion, but after he had worked himself into the game and it was needed.
Sharman has exhibited the same character, but no matter what you imply, he is not the athlete these other three, MP, Owens and AC are. He is a skinny kid with skills.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:20pm

In context, he stamped his foot on the game, as did Phillipou last night and Byrnes last week, not on his first attempt or even in a dominant fashion, but after he had worked himself into the game and it was needed.
Sharman has exhibited the same character, but no matter what you imply, he is not the athlete these other three, MP, Owens and AC are. He is a skinny kid with skills.
Pretty sure it's not implied but rater deeply rooted in evidence, did you catch much of the Sandy game yesterday, is 23 in July so can you still call him a kid, recruited in a mid season draft during a pandemic when the recruiters had almost zero data and intelligence other than giving Beryl and the Blue rinse brigade a call to see if they have any mail on a good player. Skills, very limited at AFL level right at the moment, also strange as a key forward they were playing him in the backline yesterday.

not sure how Ross is going about it but the potential to score stat has been used by most coaches and game planning for a few years now and so I'd be surprised if Ross would like to have his scoring shots taken in parts of the forward line where the potential to score is higher than outside F50...just a hunch though.

I want to stress though I loved the goal for his first, time will tell if it's something he can repeat on a regular basis.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Caminiti was playing the better odds by not passing it to Gresh.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Rubyjo
Club Player

We need players to kick those goals ..team lifters .

happy feet
Club Player

I think he is a beautiful kick of the ball and if he can consistently kick a goal on the run from 50 then we have a great weapon. I like when he contests for mark, if he doesn’t grab it he brings it to ground. I think B.M made some very positive comments on is physique and fitness level, which now is standing him in good stead. Someone compared him to Fevola, please no, no, no. Fev was enormously talented but totally undisciplined and unfit. I like what I see so far with this kid but it’s early days yet.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:35pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:20pm

Pretty sure it's not implied but rater deeply rooted in evidence, did you catch much of the Sandy game yesterday, is 23 in July so can you still call him a kid, recruited in a mid season draft during a pandemic when the recruiters had almost zero data and intelligence other than giving Beryl and the Blue rinse brigade a call to see if they have any mail on a good player. Skills, very limited at AFL level right at the moment, also strange as a key forward they were playing him in the backline yesterday.

not sure how Ross is going about it but the potential to score stat has been used by most coaches and game planning for a few years now and so I'd be surprised if Ross would like to have his scoring shots taken in parts of the forward line where the potential to score is higher than outside F50...just a hunch though.

I want to stress though I loved the goal for his first, time will tell if it's something he can repeat on a regular basis.
Oh that's right, he is listed as a key forward on his scanlan card, I forgot.
Your emphatic but only with your own narratives, in an argument you like to discuss with yourself. I get that, but you'll have to use a better source than Saints.com.

Sharman is a third tall light weight, leading forward, with a very good kicking routine, when kicking for goal. He is also useful in 2 on 2 marking contests, watch his work with King from his debut season and dthe 2 or three very class pack marks he took. He is now learning how to play out a full game and hone skills that create play, rather than 50/50 chances of scoring.

Too easily stopped you say, and we agree, but I'm a fairlyy bid, 52 year old man and I was a very big 16 year old, and he is a skinny kid, 23 or 15, Ive stood next to Caminiti, Sharman, Phillipou and Owens. Caminiti (who is massive), Owens and Phillipou are young men with remarkable athletic ability. Sharman looks fit and is tall but his frame is not imposing. His contract should it be maintained or traded, we will hopefully see him in the Membrey or dare I say it Tom Lynch mould. So, I get your confidence, when you say Lyon might not be interested.

What I'm empatic about is that, Enright, Harvey and Hayes, won't allow the coach to keep hitting Max King on the head with a one wood from 80 metres out. They will train the mids with the 9 irons and wedges and Caminiti and Phillipou can get their 1 woods out if needed.
They'll want Caminiti, who's tracker last night resembled a young Nick Riewoldt playing on a forward flank, to charge up the ground and bring players into the game with strength and speed. The other options will appear when he drags the tall defender on him, with him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

we will hopefully see him in the Membrey or dare I say it Tom Lynch mould. So, I get your confidence, when you say Lyon might not be interested.
:mrgreen: :lol:
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:09pm
axcellence wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 1:00pm Feels like more of a roaming CHF type. Had quite a few possessions outside 50.
That's possibly how he will keep Sharman out of the team, Sharman has poor agility and endurance and can't wheel around and go as result.
Why the f*** bring Sharman into the discussion. Your obsession with dissing that player is embarrassing...for you.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:13pm

Your emphatic but only with your own narratives, in an argument you like to discuss with yourself. I get that, but you'll have to use a better source than Saints.com.

Sharman is a third tall light weight, leading forward, with a very good kicking routine, when kicking for goal. He is also useful in 2 on 2 marking contests, watch his work with King from his debut season and dthe 2 or three very class pack marks he took. He is now learning how to play out a full game and hone skills that create play, rather than 50/50 chances of scoring.

Too easily stopped you say, and we agree, but I'm a fairlyy bid, 52 year old man and I was a very big 16 year old, and he is a skinny kid, 23 or 15, Ive stood next to Caminiti, Sharman, Phillipou and Owens. Caminiti (who is massive), Owens and Phillipou are young men with remarkable athletic ability. Sharman looks fit and is tall but his frame is not imposing. His contract should it be maintained or traded, we will hopefully see him in the Membrey or dare I say it Tom Lynch mould. So, I get your confidence, when you say Lyon might not be interested.

What I'm empatic about is that, Enright, Harvey and Hayes, won't allow the coach to keep hitting Max King on the head with a one wood from 80 metres out. They will train the mids with the 9 irons and wedges and Caminiti and Phillipou can get their 1 woods out if needed.
They'll want Caminiti, who's tracker last night resembled a young Nick Riewoldt playing on a forward flank, to charge up the ground and bring players into the game with strength and speed. The other options will appear when he drags the tall defender on him, with him.
Did you watch his game yesterday? How far off to you think he is from convincing the coaches he can help us win our next flag?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Butler/Higgins - King - Gresham
Membrey - Caminiti - Sharman

Maybe backline at Sandy is to teach him leading patterns etc

Midfield
Steele - Jones - Crouch - Owens - Windhager - NWM - Phillipou - Clarke - Gresham - Sinclair - Byrnes

Backline
Paton - Wilkie - Hill
Battle - Howard - Stocker

Too many additional players to squeeze in - I am loving it!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:16pm
we will hopefully see him in the Membrey or dare I say it Tom Lynch mould. So, I get your confidence, when you say Lyon might not be interested.
yeah I really rate CQs footy IQ but I think he's stretching that one out a bit.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:21pm
LOL @ Vortex - Adelaide Tom Lynch NOT Richmond Tom Lynch

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:19pm

Did you watch his game yesterday? How far off to you think he is from convincing the coaches he can help us win our next flag?
I think he was on the Gold Coast, playing with the Mentone 3rds finest graduates. That's a long way off. Is that what you meant?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:23pm
He stopped reading after the word mould and missed the next sentence

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

ahhh ok, an easy mistake to make, I'm still going to watch that space with eager anticipation then.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:28pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:19pm

I think he was on the Gold Coast, playing with the Mentone 3rds finest graduates. That's a long way off. Is that what you meant?
nup just always interested in your opinion on such matters, as I know you are in mine.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

😉 you betcha, I am.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Anyone with half a brain and a smidgen of footy nous would have realised that. But then.....

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 2:47pm
Anyone with half a brain and a smidgen of footy nous would have realised that. But then.....
Tom's from the old days Saynta. Lol

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Who was better against the Dogs? Caminiti or Phipipou?