Positive review of St Kilda after last Friday's practice match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Positive review of St Kilda after last Friday's practice match

Following comments by former Hawk Stephen Gilham on Fox Sports website provide a more positive assessment of St Kilda after last Friday's practice match against Melbourne:

"There wasn’t too much for Saints fans to smile about on Friday night as a slick Melbourne outfit sent a strong message to the AFL competition.

That’s especially the case after it was revealed Jack Billings suffered a hairline fracture in his right fibula which will force him out for eight weeks. But there were glimpses.

The most exciting one came from top draftee Mattaes Phillipou, who put his hand up for Round 1 selection with an eye-catching effort against the Demons.

The South Australian product, who was taken by the Saints with Pick 10 in last year’s draft, was particularly impressive forward of centre, taking three towering contested marks that resulted in 2.1, including a long-range major from well outside 50m in the third term.

The 18-year-old captured the hearts of the footy world late last year with his infectious enthusiasm at joining the Saints. On Friday he played with ample passion and energy.

“He’s a great a size (190cm). He’s worked hard up the ground and pushed deep into the forward line,” Gilham said.

“He’s been able to show those skills above his head as an aerial threat and when he gets an opportunity that left foot has kicked true.

“Exciting signs for their high draft pick early days.”

Gilham was also optimistic about what free agent acquisition Zaine Cordy – who kicked the first goal for St Kilda on Friday night – could achieve at the Saints, especially with Max King facing a delayed start due to 2023 due to injury.

“He’s an aerial threat, but he’s agile enough that he’s dangerous on the ground, he’ll be a real handful there,” Gilham said.

“He gives the Saints a real target in the absence of Max King. They’ll be looking for a strong aerial threat but also put some pressure on the ground.

“I think more and more clubs are searching for those hybrid players and he’s a perfect size to play key forward, key back and also pinch-hit in the ruck.:

Elsewhere Mitch Owens showed why there’s been so much hype around his pre-season covering the ground well and competing hard in the air. He played just seven games in his first season at the Saints, but expect that tally to be significantly higher by the end of 2023.

Gun on-ballers Jack Steele and Jade Gresham were prominent, while Bradley Hill returned to the wing where he provided ample run and carry
."

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positive review of St Kilda after last Friday's practice match

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 2:27pm

Elsewhere Mitch Owens showed why there’s been so much hype around his pre-season covering the ground well and competing hard in the air. He played just seven games in his first season at the Saints, but expect that tally to be significantly higher by the end of 2023.

We got scored heavily off the turnover out of our forward line last year and this is where I think Mitch has Sharman covered in a Lyon's defensive focused side, once the ball hits the deck, time will tell though when he gets more games against the big boys.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Gilham was also optimistic about what free agent acquisition Zaine Cordy – who kicked the first goal for St Kilda on Friday night
No, he didn't.
That was Byrnes.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I watched most of it live and then a few days later saw the replay . We weren't that bad just the dees were better , there relentless pressure on our ball carrier causing turnovers was telling.
But I do wonder why we seem to play dumb football.
It was windy , when they had it in the 2nd and 4th stanzas, they kicked it fast , long and direct . And saw the benefit of 12 goals . When we had it we just seemed to want to pinpoint targets . We made it too easy for them to have the numbers back . And of course when we had scoring opportunities in the 3rd to reduce their lead , we kicked points , not the goals needed to put them under pressure.

In red white and black from 73
spert
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 4:54pm I watched most of it live and then a few days later saw the replay . We weren't that bad just the dees were better , there relentless pressure on our ball carrier causing turnovers was telling.
It was windy , when they had it in the 2nd and 4th stanzas, they kicked it fast , long and direct . And saw the benefit of 12 goals . When we had it we just seemed to want to pinpoint targets . We made it too easy for them to have the numbers back . And of course when we had scoring opportunities in the 3rd to reduce their lead , we kicked points , not the goals needed to put them under pressure.
We that were watching, all came to the same conclusion..the midfield is crap

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 7:10pm
mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 4:54pm I watched most of it live and then a few days later saw the replay . We weren't that bad just the dees were better , there relentless pressure on our ball carrier causing turnovers was telling.
We that were watching, all came to the same conclusion..the midfield is crap
? Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Hill? All of the above, some? Crap, do 'we' really think that.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

They train there all the time, you think they'd be able to judge the wind much better than a team that's never played there 🤷🏼‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Tue 28 Feb 2023 3:10pm
We got scored heavily off the turnover out of our forward line last year and this is where I think Mitch has Sharman covered in a Lyon's defensive focused side, once the ball hits the deck, time will tell though when he gets more games against the big boys.
I think many on here will be surprised at how far down the pecking order Sharman is. It Won’t surprise me at all to not see him get picked on Friday. I tend to agree that Owens and Phillipou get picked over Sharman. I think Sharman has a fantastic footy brain, but he just doesn’t find enough of the ball.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 01 Mar 2023 10:11pm
I think many on here will be surprised at how far down the pecking order Sharman is. It Won’t surprise me at all to not see him get picked on Friday. I tend to agree that Owens and Phillipou get picked over Sharman. I think Sharman has a fantastic footy brain, but he just doesn’t find enough of the ball.
Im guessing you have compared the amount of possessions Sharman and Owens have achieved so far, in their short careers.

Those extra 2 handballs a game probably get lost in the 20% disposal efficiency gain that Sharman executives and despite the last few games in defence, Sharman till averages a goal a game and doesn't miss many.

Sharman is shaping as Membrey's eventual replacement. In a similar mould to Bailey Fritsch. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Owens will be a midfielder.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 01 Mar 2023 10:11pm
Obviously I agree, it's the significant deficiencies in his game on the deck and without ball in hand that he will struggle to overcome with regards to his strengths. Especially with a coach who is a defensive maniac.