What Will RL Do Now That He's Our Coach Again?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

What Will RL Do Now That He's Our Coach Again?

It’s a fair enough question to ask.

I expect him to do many things and all of them very different from the way Brett Ratten went about it.

And it needs to be. Otherwise, there was no point in getting RL back.

He’s already done different and good. Inheriting Lenny and recruiting Harvey and BJ, plus a few other personnel he’s worked with before. It’s already changed the club’s approach.

I think the assistant coaches we have now will be outstanding.

Having some club legends, one on one with the players, can’t help but make a difference. When they give advice, the players instantly know it comes from real experience.

Next, Ross has to address the playing group, playing style, game plan and so on. This is where it gets interesting.

There is a lot to do.

You would hope Brad Hill regains his mojo. Why wouldn’t he? His best playing years were under Ross Lyon at Fremantle.

I expect Rowan Marshall to pick up where he left off when he was our number 1 ruckman, who drifted forward and kicked goals. He was as good as the very best in the AFL, before he played second fiddle to Paddy Ryder.

Then there is our future.

Windhager, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera and I’m going to stick my neck out and include Peris. If you’re wanting to inject speed into our footy team then you can’t ignore him. His development must to be fast tracked and Peris needs to be up for it.

Then there is the existing playing group.

What will they make of RL?

They'll quickly discover he is a tough task master. He expects a lot and only rewards those that make the effort. This will be the biggest change in coaching styles in my view.

Some guys are going to relish the change of direction, others not so much.

One or two previously big names could find themselves playing a lot of matches for Sandy. RL is black and white when it comes to dealing with players. No ambiguity. He will expect a lot from his professional athletes and so he should.

And they will know where they stand with him. They might not like it. Too bad I say.

This is going to be a journey of discovery for coaches and players.

I’ve said a lot of uncomplimentary stuff about RL in the past. I didn't like the way he departed our footy club first time around.

But I am convinced this time he’s going to give the coaching caper a red hot go.

He’s got nothing to lose. If he fails it will truly be the end of his coaching career.

The club has nothing to lose. We been losers, pretty much since 1966.

An optimist might think this is the perfect storm for success. Backs to the wall. A more than half of a century premiership drought. A phoenix rising etc

2023 is going to be exciting. I didn’t think it would be. But now I am certain.

I’m going to enjoy watching all of it, whatever ‘it’ turns out to be.

Go the Saints.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Will RL Do Now That He's Our Coach Again?

I think the timing is right.

We've lost Ryder, but we always knew that was going to be very short term, so that's a bit of a negative.

Let's look at what he's go to work with, and how can we be better in 2023?

1. He knows how to get the best value out of Brad Hill

2. He has Windhager, Owens, and Milera with a season of football behind them, and they are ready to thrive

3. The return of Hayes (the player, not the coach) will give him a courageous, hard working forward who can take the heat off King and Membrey. It will give the team more balance. He's got a bit of Jason Blake about him

4. A full season from McKenzie will give us a lift. We desperately missed him in the second half of 2022. He sets the tone. Ross will love him.

5. He has Coffield back from his injury, hopefully Gresham over his injury, and Howard back to full fitness. Paton will be better, too, I suspect

6. His game plan will be drummed into the heads of all players, so there will be no confusion about what to do in any given situation.

7. He won't accept anything less than 100% effort 100% of the time. Honest, firm, and demanding. No guessing games. No excuses.

8. Highmore, Connolly and Bytel have a chance to impress and one or two of those guys should get an opportunity, making everyone earn their spot.

9. He'll drive his assistant coaches to work their arses off and he'll leave no stone unturned

10. We will surely have a more functional forward half. Lade was an abject failure with his forward line coaching

11. We got much fitter during the 2021/22 pre-season. We will get fitter again

12. He'll get the players to understand that it's all about putting in the work. As he said during his presser "If you're not putting in the work, you're just a dreamer".

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I expect his shifty eyes 👀 to be working overtime

In red white and black from 73
Saints58
Club Player

I love the coaching panel we have now except what if in a coaching meeting Enright disagrees with ross what will happen I don't see Goddard, Lenny, harvs 1 or
all going against ross so will we loose a great defence coach.
We still need a forwards coach I would not get a saints man we need the different outlook Stevie j is coaching some local footy he would be fantastic.
Depends if the club is serious about getting a forwards coach or not.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Not sure if this should be here in this thread but I hope Ross can push our captain and our leaders to demand more of each other, and to inspire each other when they need it.

I recently watched the game we played against Brisbane at home in round 22 this year when we were still a chance to make finals. We had the momentum at certain times late in the game and Brisbane were playing off a 5 day break (we had a 6 day break). Once we got our noses in front we should have buried them. Cam Rayner had some brilliant moments, but Max King could have iced the game for us in the last quarter just before Rayner’s late goals.

Although we lost the Brisbane game in Round 22 mainly due to missed opportunities and shocking set shot kicking from Max King, the main thing that stuck out was the lack of on field leadership (which has been a theme for this team at different times for the last five years). King had 0.3 on the board before a 30m set shot that was pretty much dead in front. No player went up to him to support him or get in his ear and convince him that he could do it. He needed someone to say that they trust him and no one did it!!

Jack Steele had a poor game stats wise, but he also had a poor game as the leader that day. I think Jack Steele has struggled as sole captain. I know he is a young captain, but he needs to lift on game day and he needs to be more vocal on game day. He needs to inspire others and he needs to get in their face if he feels they are letting down their team mates. The leaders who are supposed to support the captain have also failed in many ways during 2021 and 2022.

Say what you like about Jarryn Geary the player, but I think he showed he was a very good captain and we missed his leadership ON THE FIELD in the last 2 years

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Fri 11 Nov 2022 8:14pm Not sure if this should be here in this thread but I hope Ross can push our captain and our leaders to demand more of each other, and to inspire each other when they need it.

I recently watched the game we played against Brisbane at home in round 22 this year when we were still a chance to make finals. We had the momentum at certain times late in the game and Brisbane were playing off a 5 day break (we had a 6 day break). Once we got our noses in front we should have buried them. Cam Rayner had some brilliant moments, but Max King could have iced the game for us in the last quarter just before Rayner’s late goals.

Although we lost the Brisbane game in Round 22 mainly due to missed opportunities and shocking set shot kicking from Max King, the main thing that stuck out was the lack of on field leadership (which has been a theme for this team at different times for the last five years). King had 0.3 on the board before a 30m set shot that was pretty much dead in front. No player went up to him to support him or get in his ear and convince him that he could do it. He needed someone to say that they trust him and no one did it!!

Jack Steele had a poor game stats wise, but he also had a poor game as the leader that day. I think Jack Steele has struggled as sole captain. I know he is a young captain, but he needs to lift on game day and he needs to be more vocal on game day. He needs to inspire others and he needs to get in their face if he feels they are letting down their team mates. The leaders who are supposed to support the captain have also failed in many ways during 2021 and 2022.

Say what you like about Jarryn Geary the player, but I think he showed he was a very good captain and me missed his leadership ON THE FIELD in the last 2 years
100000% agree

Really good post. I’ve also hated seeing our players get felled or opposition take cheap shots/get in our face and our players not remonstrate or stick up for their team mates.

That has also been a pretty consistent recurring theme

Josh Battle
Club Player

Remember the bs from Carro and the media after the timid coward captain from Carlton complained about Jake Carlisle?

Finnis and Richo buckled after that Marc Murphy incident and I think our players were confused and felt like they were doing whatever it takes both physically and psychologically to win that game.

We want them to play on the edge and they need to be supported.

The players are the ones bleeding for the club out there. The coaches and admin need to support their warriors the way Hardwick and other coaches do.

damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 11 Nov 2022 3:12pm I think the timing is right.

We've lost Ryder, but we always knew that was going to be very short term, so that's a bit of a negative.

2. He has Windhager, Owens, and Milera with a season of football behind them, and they are ready to thrive

3. The return of Hayes (the player, not the coach) will give him a courageous, hard working forward who can take the heat off King and Membrey. It will give the team more balance. He's got a bit of Jason Blake about him

4. A full season from McKenzie will give us a lift. We desperately missed him in the second half of 2022. He sets the tone. Ross will love him.

5. He has Coffield back from his injury, hopefully Gresham over his injury, and Howard back to full fitness. Paton will be better, too, I suspect

6. His game plan will be drummed into the heads of all players, so there will be no confusion about what to do in any given situation.

7. He won't accept anything less than 100% effort 100% of the time. Honest, firm, and demanding. No guessing games. No excuses.

8. Highmore, Connolly and Bytel have a chance to impress and one or two of those guys should get an opportunity, making everyone earn their spot.

9. He'll drive his assistant coaches to work their arses off and he'll leave no stone unturned

10. We will surely have a more functional forward half. Lade was an abject failure with his forward line coaching

12. He'll get the players to understand that it's all about putting in the work. As he said during his presser "If you're not putting in the work, you're just a dreamer".
Well said.

damienc
Club Player

Well said.

damienc
Club Player

Well said.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think if you believe Jack Steele is the problem and needs to lift as a player

You’re watching a different game to me

Outstanding player, a leader I would love to follow!!!!

And that’s all a leader is, someone that others follow

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IMO, the challenge for RL that will most greatly impact success (beyond recruiting a few elite and coaching a few to take the next step)… will be the balance between persevering with hard working but less talented players vs players that clearly have more upside but either aren’t as hard working or aren’t grasping the game plan well.

Armitage, Steven, Lynch to a lesser degree a guy like McEvoy were players that weren’t permanent fixtures with RL across 09-10 and blossomed a bit immediately after he left.
In 09, Dempster and Eddy were preferred as defensive forwards and role mids to Armo
In 2010, a down on form McQualter played 23 odd games along with Eddy and Dempster again (not the Dempster that he went on to become) ahead of Jack Steven.

Steven in fact famously said that Scott Watters spoke to him more in the first month than RL did in 2 or 3 years (whatever it was).

I respect that hard work ethos that RL brings but the aim of the game isn’t to select the hardest working team but rather the one that is the best. If one has to be flexible in their approach to ensure guys like a Steven or Armitage reach their potential earlier than that’s what he needs to do rather than persevere with those of little scope

asiu
Saintsational Legend

And that’s all a leader is, someone that others follow
and learn from , in the following

if your leader
is not creating more leaders

off with his head

(its coming off at some stage
so it may as well be early)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Lyon will have to start from scratch basically. I expect it will take a while to teach a whole new style of playing to a list of players, and I don't expect some kind of massive turnaround next season.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Teams often play in a manor reflecting the coach’s demeanour and personality.
Look at Carlton this year, although they missed playing finals, they had a harder edge about them feeding off Vossy.
We’ll be the same under Ross, hopefully no longer a passive team.
As much as I love Steele, maybe Wilkie would be a more natural leader?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I completely disagree with that notion

I don’t think how a coach played, has any bearing on how their teams player

Biggest fallacy in sport

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Nov 2022 9:45pm I completely disagree with that notion

I don’t think how a coach played, has any bearing on how their teams player

Biggest fallacy in sport
He didn’t say that. Try reading it again BM.

SaintWiki
Club Player

The off season is St Kilda supporters paradise - We always feel much more comfortable when we don't have to recover from the previous round or brace ourselves for the next one. This year it's our lucky-dip coach and repatriated brethren to lift our spirits, for those of us who are game. OK, I've bought in again, as I do every year, I really need it. My long term hope is to live long enough to feel this comfortable during the season again ... or dare to ponder a Premiership!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wilkie should be trialed as Captain.

Not sold on Steele.

Bring back the rotating policy until we find a leader.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 6:08am Wilkie should be trialed as Captain.

Not sold on Steele.

Dougal and Skunk were vicecaptains, and Wilkie was deputy vice captain.
I agree Wilkie should get the captaincy next year.
Howard is ineffectual as a leader, and Skunk has had his time.
Let him concentrate on his own game.

Wilkie deserves a year

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can't seriously be thinking about imposing a captain the players don't fully support, changing the process to get the result you want and disrespecting Jack Steele. Was the Review at all critical of Jack.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steele is the perfect captain

Leads by example

happy feet
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 9:02am

Not sold on Steele.

Wilkie deserves a year
Nope, no way. If Steele had done a bad job then maybe consider Wilkie. The playing group will go through a ton of changes between now and round 1, let them have 1 constant in Jack Steele as Captain.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022 9:02am

Not sold on Steele.

Wilkie deserves a year
Nope, no way. If Steele had done a bad job then maybe consider Wilkie. The playing group will go through a ton of changes between now and round 1, let them have 1 constant in Jack Steele as Captain.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Steele dropped his bundle a couple of times mid game ala Kings style, dropped away in the second half, Wilkie not so much.