Living In Nowhere Land

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Living In Nowhere Land

I am super glad the St Kilda Football Club erased any doubts about where, how and why the team ended up out of the eight in season 2022.

Never fear.

We remain very much in the premiership window despite not playing finals footy nor even looking like we’d be good enough.

I mean, what other inference is there to be drawn about our non appearance in trade week?

No. I forgot. We did do something.

We recruited a guy struggling to get a game as a defender in the Western Bulldogs as a backup, in case of injury to one of our key defenders.

Well at least he knows what it’s like to play in a premiership winning footy team. Maybe he can tell his new team-mates.

The footy commentators think we’re going nowhere. It’s hard to disagree.

A lot of good players made moves in this trade period strengthening clubs who finished a lot lower on the ladder than we did. And as a result they have improved significantly.

And where exactly were we when all of this drama was taking place? Mr Invisible.

Which brings me back to my original point. Clearly our list is premiership material. We're in the window. We must be. Otherwise why did we make no attempt to boost our list?

Now don’t you go trying to tell me the club will load up at the draft. Sure. We’ll nab a few prospects but they’re years away from making a significant impact.

You’ve probably heard this before: Nothing changes if nothing changes.

And that pretty much sums up where this footy club is at.

Maybe that’s ok for you. But it isn’t for me and never will be.

So we go into 2023 with what we had in 2022 minus Ben Long.

Here’s another saying: The definition of madness is repeating the same and expecting a different result.

There is no method in this madness.

BadRossco
Club Player

Re: Living In Nowhere Land

Very accurate post, we seem to have made an art form out of mediocrity

loris
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 1:44pm I am super glad the St Kilda Football Club erased any doubts about where, how and why the team ended up out of the eight in season 2022.

Never fear.

We remain very much in the premiership window despite not playing finals footy nor even looking like we’d be good enough.

I mean, what other inference is there to be drawn about our non appearance in trade week?

We recruited a guy struggling to get a game as a defender in the Western Bulldogs as a backup, in case of injury to one of our key defenders.

Well at least he knows what it’s like to play in a premiership winning footy team. Maybe he can tell his new team-mates.

A lot of good players made moves in this trade period strengthening clubs who finished a lot lower on the ladder than we did. And as a result they have improved significantly.

And where exactly were we when all of this drama was taking place? Mr Invisible.

Which brings me back to my original point. Clearly our list is premiership material. We're in the window. We must be. Otherwise why did we make no attempt to boost our list?

Now don’t you go trying to tell me the club will load up at the draft. Sure. We’ll nab a few prospects but they’re years away from making a significant impact.

Here’s another saying: The definition of madness is repeating the same and expecting a different result.

Oh damienc, I’ve become so excited reading your post. I’m only required to read to the end of your third sentence and I became oh, so, so thrilled. I have read many (actually too many) posts on S/S over the years, never have I ever read the word ‘nor’ used correctly. 👏👏👏

I doubt if this much neglected word has ever appeared in a post on this site before. I may be corrected on this last statement, as we do have some some argumentative, cantankerous blighters on Saintsational who will take great delight in proving me wrong, highlighting how They used the word ‘nor’ in a post ten years ago. In my defence, I haven’t read every post ever written, sorry ‘bout that folks!

damienc, I’m sure the rest of your post is fab; however, I am so excited to read this once in a lifetime use of ‘nor’ on Saintsational that I must go and have a dance around the kitchen, then take a cold shower.

Promise I’ll get back to reading the rest of your post, when I calm down :wink:
Last edited by loris on Wed 12 Oct 2022 2:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Who should we have gotten?

Club Player

We do have the draft coming up.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Just when I thought there wasn't enough sooky quiet trade period posts.

What do you honestly expect the club to have done?

We went after a big name in De Goey, but as expected, he stayed put. The likes of Jackson, Horne-Francis, Rankine were all moving to go home, so we were no chance. Taranto or Hopper would have been good, but we would've had to part with our first pick - and they only wanted Richmond.

Who else available would walk into our best 22? And don't say Bowes, this trade period has overrated him beyond belief.

We traded like mad in 2018-2020, it netted short term moderate success but ultimately failed. The club was ridiculed for trading away the future (we could have had Serong, Pickett, De Koning, etc).

So we went to the draft last season and nailed it. Windhager, Owens & NWM. All already look future stars. The club was praised for going to the draft.

So this year we replicate that, with a first round pick and two second round picks. But people still sook about it.

In my lifetime, St Kilda have had two Grand Final level eras. Neither involved trading in talent. Home grown talent is what works at St Kilda.

From Loewe, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Thompson, Jones, Sziller, Everitt & Smith, to Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Hayes, Fisher & Koschitzke.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

loris wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 2:30pm
damienc wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 1:44pm I am super glad the St Kilda Football Club erased any doubts about where, how and why the team ended up out of the eight in season 2022.

Never fear.

Oh damienc, I’ve become so excited reading your post. I’m only required to read to the end of your third sentence and I became oh, so, so thrilled. I have read many (actually too many) posts on S/S over the years, never have I ever read the word ‘nor’ used correctly. 👏👏👏

I doubt if this much neglected word has ever appeared in a post on this site before. I may be corrected on this last statement, as we do have some some argumentative, cantankerous blighters on Saintsational who will take great delight in proving me wrong, highlighting how They used the word ‘nor’ in a post ten years ago. In my defence, I haven’t read every post ever written, sorry ‘bout that folks!

damienc, I’m sure the rest of your post is fab; however, I am so excited to read this once in a lifetime use of ‘nor’ on Saintsational that I must go and have a dance around the kitchen, then take a cold shower.

A quick gander for the word ‘nor’ in the sites search function showed it has appeared on 3033 occasions (including Damien’s & your above posts) spread across 133 pages since the site’s inception.

Gander on the other hand appears a miserly 44 times in comparison 😀

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
aaron82
Club Player

Best post IMO from Beno88 I’ve read in ages.

What is this fascination with bringing in Dean Kent style spuds. I’m not sure about Cordy but he cost us nothing but coin & fills a need.

Outside of that, we may have asked the question of Bowes but he likely would have said get stuffed, i want to play footy at a club currently contending for flags.

The premium players were never going to go to a club who is outside the 8 & played finals once in 10 years.

We may need to go back a few steps (short term pain) a little like 94-95 years but we need to draft top shelf kids in (hopefully Cam Mackenzie) & develop our players better.

and that's the bottom line
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why is Gallagher even at Marvel?

We are doing FA

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Coffield
Hayes
Clark
Gresham
Billings
McKenzie

There is the improvement.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 3:17pm Coffield
Hayes
Clark
Gresham
Billings
McKenzie

There is the improvement.
Thats if they stay on the park ,all injury prone so who knows

loris
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 3:02pm

Never fear.

A quick gander for the word ‘nor’ in the sites search function showed it has appeared on 3033 occasions (including Damien’s & your above posts) spread across 133 pages since the site’s inception.

D.B.C, you must be one of those argumentative, cantankerous blighters I was referring to?
I suppose you rely on stats when giving your votes for best on ground eh? In my defence, there could be 3032 posts I haven’t read. I don’t know if that’s a stat I should be ashamed or proud of. You mean I have to read a further 132 pages of SS to find if ‘nor’ has been used correctly.

I love your use of the word ‘gander’. I bet that sends some SS millennials searching the urban dictionary.
I think we should start a movement to bring back the word ‘gander’..... luv it.

There is some old childhood ditty rambling around in my mind. It goes something like this:-
Goosey, goosey gander
Where do you wander
Up stairs, downstairs
In my lady’s chamber.

Now for the gander to be used in the context of your ‘gander’, I guess the male goose ie., gander, is having a gander (perve) on something in the lady’s bedroom. I don’t think he would be having a gander at something in her potty (chamber), but then he may be as he is a bit of a goose...hmmm

axcellence
Club Player

BadRossco wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 2:28pm Very accurate post, we seem to have made an art form out of mediocrity
Don’t worry. I don’t expect mediocrity next year. That would imply a 8-12 ladder spot.

I am guessing 15-17th at this stage.

takeaway
Club Player

So....... Clubs have to take at least 3 players in the draft, why not require clubs to complete at least 3 trades with other clubs?

Doesn't matter about the club's particular strategy in any given year, stuff that, just get at least 3 in or out per year to entertain the masses. It's purely an entertainment business now isn't it? 8-)

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

loris wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 3:40pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 3:02pm

Never fear.

D.B.C, you must be one of those argumentative, cantankerous blighters I was referring to?
I suppose you rely on stats when giving your votes for best on ground eh? In my defence, there could be 3032 posts I haven’t read. I don’t know if that’s a stat I should be ashamed or proud of. You mean I have to read a further 132 pages of SS to find if ‘nor’ has been used correctly.

I love your use of the word ‘gander’. I bet that sends some SS millennials searching the urban dictionary.
I think we should start a movement to bring back the word ‘gander’..... luv it.

There is some old childhood ditty rambling around in my mind. It goes something like this:-
Goosey, goosey gander
Where do you wander
Up stairs, downstairs
In my lady’s chamber.

Now for the gander to be used in the context of your ‘gander’, I guess the male goose ie., gander, is having a gander (perve) on something in the lady’s bedroom. I don’t think he would be having a gander at something in her potty (chamber), but then he may be as he is a bit of a goose...hmmm
I wonder if our South Australian friend may regale us with a story of his first 'gander' at the sculptured physique of the great Barrie Robran or perhaps the first time he sighted Rowdy Mallett's incredible reflexes in the gully?

Quietly I think the South Australian would be a little chuffed that Saintsational royalty (Queen loris of the lowercase) has noticed and commented on his parochial State views.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

When we did the Brad Hill trade the pundits were declaring us the kings of trade week.

How did that pan out?

Maybe the club learned a lesson for a change. A lot of hullbaloo in trade week doesn't necessraily translate into improvement.

Keep your picks unless you're onto a genuine slam dunk.

darylcowie
Club Player

So we ended the 2017 trade period with Richo saying that our improvement in 2018 was going to come from "organic growth" from within our list.
We went from 11 wins and 11th to 4.5 wins and 16th!
In 2022 we have picks 10, 28 and 32 and Zaine Cordy as a mid-twenties, 100 game, key defender.
He is another B grade tall, athletic defender akin to Dougal Howard.
He improves our defensive depth, but may not displace Battle or Howard in pur best defence.
In other words our "organic growth" will rely heavily on pick 10!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Oh, the hand wringing and moaning.

Most of those players were never going to come to us for a host of reasons. get over it.

Should we just trade for players for the sake of it?

Now we just wait for the next round of kicking the club and everyone in it from the usual naysayers

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

1971 wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 2:37pm We do have the draft coming up.
How old are the players being drafted?
Our development- how many years before these young ones become regulars?
Look at
DMack
Long (gone now)
Sincs
Billings
Clark
Connolly
Highmore

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Windhager and Wanganeen-Milera? Already senior players. Owens will a regular next year.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 9:04pm Windhager and Wanganeen-Milera? Already senior players. Owens will a regular next year.
As I have stated before unless something remarkable happens NWM & Clark will be gone next year . The draft won't heal our chronic lack of talent in the short term & can we even get the picks right ? Its a lottery & our track record is less than impressive.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I liked being quiet for a change. So we lost Ben Long who has had the odd great game which isn't a huge loss but still he may have turned a corner at the end of last year. And we got a back up defender who was pretty cheap. We didn't piss money up against the wall and over pay for someone this year and we have a decent hand to take to the draft.

As for next year we are set to have a good year. Firstly we should have an OK draw as we came in the bottom half of the ladder, secondly we have some juniors who are already in the team. Windhager is awesome, NWM is smooth and Owens is going to destroy the midfield. Then we have injured players coming back into the team, Coffield, Hunter & Dmac and most importantly they all get another another pre season into them.

We still need another key defender, back up ruck for Rowma and our mids to step up a gear but I am feeling better about next year.
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 13 Oct 2022 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Disastrous trade period. They could have either gone hard at the draft or looked to bring in elite talent. They’ve done neither and now we are in for another 12 months with poor on field performances and little hope in terms of elite young talent (outside of maybe 1 or 2 guys).

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wow such a positive site!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 8:04pm Oh, the hand wringing and moaning.

Most of those players were never going to come to us for a host of reasons. get over it.

Should we just trade for players for the sake of it?

Now we just wait for the next round of kicking the club and everyone in it from the usual naysayers
With good reason. Happy to be a naysayer to mediocrity.

No need to kick a club that is happy to do it for you.

Our track record of success or lack of it speaks for itself.

Sorry. The truth can be painful.