Quiet as a mouse...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quiet as a mouse...

100% agree Sanctorum.

Gallagher & Lethlean are good operators things will become evident after the GF. I cant imagine that De Goey would be the only targetted player? I forsee Hill, Clark & Long being traded which will bring in a cluster of earlier draft picks.

But as I said earlier the club are not going to fill all the list vacancies at the draft, they would have to be targetting other players other than De Goey. For example they need anther ready to play backup ruckman eg Meek, Lobb, Briggs or Ratogulea, another key defender and a possible key forward.

There is plenty to play out, but I see the club wanting to reset with early draft picks at this years draft and bringing in periphery players as cheaply as possible.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 9:03pm Is Steele not a good player?

What about Marshall??

King, Wilkie, Sinclair, Crouch?????

How about the whipping boy - Ross?!

Membrey record places him as one of the best hybrid forwards in the game.

Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Bytel have been hampered by injury…

Windhager and to a lesser extent Owens have obvious talent

People carry on like we have zero talent?!?!

F*** me

We were one win out of the 8

Beat Richmond, Freo and Geelong

Yet I bet we panic and throw the baby out with bat water and bottom m out again and f*** that up

It will be
2012 all over again
Relax I doubt that we will be rebuilding. Yet quite simply our midfield still needs a fair bit of building.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 1:46pm
B.M wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 9:03pm Is Steele not a good player?

What about Marshall??

King, Wilkie, Sinclair, Crouch?????

How about the whipping boy - Ross?!

Membrey record places him as one of the best hybrid forwards in the game.

Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Bytel have been hampered by injury…

Windhager and to a lesser extent Owens have obvious talent

People carry on like we have zero talent?!?!

F*** me

We were one win out of the 8

Beat Richmond, Freo and Geelong

Yet I bet we panic and throw the baby out with bat water and bottom m out again and f*** that up

It will be
2012 all over again
Relax I doubt that we will be rebuilding. Yet quite simply our midfield still needs a fair bit of building.
Well, Lenny has been working at GWS for ages, he has honed his knowledge about coaching a midfield.
The club will be valuing his input about just who we need.
And if we can't get good mids due to $$ or targeted players refusing to come, I'm confident Lenny will be able to improve our existing mids. He'll have to work with what he's got.
Yes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but he should be able to address the F50 entries as well as our clearance work.
He might be able to offer advice to the other coaches too.

Gonna be interesting times.
I'm expecting/hoping 2023 will see better strategies, leading to no Bombers' type rubbish performances.
And we'll hopefully be more competitive

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
StPeter
Club Player

So much negative rubbish spoken here!

Yes, a disappointing second half of the year, but give us Geelong's fixture this year and we almost certainly play finals.

Plenty of talent in our current list to make an assault on the eight next year if we don't trade our talent for draft picks.

We know what our track record at the draft is in recent times with the exception of the last draft.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lenny wasn’t even at GWS this season

I believe he was only at GWS for a couple of years?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Actually

Just looked it up

He was at GWS from 2016-2020

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 1:17pm 100% agree Sanctorum.

Gallagher & Lethlean are good operators things will become evident after the GF. I cant imagine that De Goey would be the only targetted player? I forsee Hill, Clark & Long being traded which will bring in a cluster of earlier draft picks.

But as I said earlier the club are not going to fill all the list vacancies at the draft, they would have to be targetting other players other than De Goey. For example they need anther ready to play backup ruckman eg Meek, Lobb, Briggs or Ratogulea, another key defender and a possible key forward.

There is plenty to play out, but I see the club wanting to reset with early draft picks at this years draft and bringing in periphery players as cheaply as possible.
So the sane people who brought us Hill Hannerbury Jones and Ryder to top us up for a flag tilt….have all of a sudden realised ….hang on…..that window might not be open… it’s just a draft!! ….have now decided that a mini rebuild is needed so let’s hit the draft and trade out some names along the way (where apart from last year where NGAs fell into our lap) they are now magically going to get it right?? and we should all be happy to wait another 3-5 years to become top 4 relevant hopefully????

Gee whizz so glad that 10 years into the abyss the club has now realised we need to draft young talent…

2 big problems I see

1. They’ve kept a middling cheap coach whose game plan looks outdated and match day in the box he looks bereft of ideas
2. Drafting kids us lovely….watching their development stall 3 years (or 5 if you are Hunter Clark) only leads to another fire sale in 3 years time!!!

The Board have a lot to answer for and this club should not be let off the hook for recent deplorable decisions
I think the gloss has worn off Lethlean and Gallagher a tad…

“Yeah….nah””
Better-Call-Saul

Just when I thought life felt good and harmonious, I now have the desire to stick a burning hot screwdriver into my eye. It’s amazing how SS brings you back down with a dose of reality.
It was so much easier being a Saints supporter before the internet. When you would cross paths with a fellow Saints fan, you would just look at each other and give the obligatory raised eyebrows, shrug of the shoulders and smile. Now days, it’s like walking into a saloon at the OK Corral, eying off who you need to fight.
Thanks for helping me back on my path 🙄

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Better-Call-Saul wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 12:35am Just when I thought life felt good and harmonious, I now have the desire to stick a burning hot screwdriver into my eye. It’s amazing how SS brings you back down with a dose of reality.
It was so much easier being a Saints supporter before the internet. When you would cross paths with a fellow Saints fan, you would just look at each other and give the obligatory raised eyebrows, shrug of the shoulders and smile. Now days, it’s like walking into a saloon at the OK Corral, eying off who you need to fight.
It's all good man.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 11:14pm Actually

Just looked it up

He was at GWS from 2016-2020
Five years, a few more than a couple.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Better-Call-Saul wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 12:35am Just when I thought life felt good and harmonious, I now have the desire to stick a burning hot screwdriver into my eye. It’s amazing how SS brings you back down with a dose of reality.
Most do the eyebrow.

Some cherry pick setbacks and extrapolate outrageously. Personality thing?

Some it's questionable if they are supporters.

99% opine with commendable optimism and serious insight.

I think.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It is a bit concerning that we weren't good enough to make finals and it seems like there won't be any significant change coming in 2023. I would've been all in on getting Clarko but they shot themselves in the foot by prematurely re-signing Ratten.

On the plus side, we've only lost Ryder from our best 22 and there isn't anyone else in that 22 who should be declining, though plenty should be improving.

De Goey really would be perfect but that seems very unlikely. Lobby would be handy for a few years but isn't going to solve our problems. We definitely should not be trading away early draft picks unless it's for a bonafide superstar with more footy ahead of them than behind them.

I don't think we'd lose too much by trading Hill or Long but I'd want to make sure that we actually achieve a positive outcome rather than just accepting crap picks and overpaying gops to hit the salary cap floor.

Not keen on trading Clark at all unless it's for something very valuable in return.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 3:34pm It is a bit concerning that we weren't good enough to make finals and it seems like there won't be any significant change coming in 2023. I would've been all in on getting Clarko but they shot themselves in the foot by prematurely re-signing Ratten.

On the plus side, we've only lost Ryder from our best 22 and there isn't anyone else in that 22 who should be declining, though plenty should be improving.

De Goey really would be perfect but that seems very unlikely. Lobby would be handy for a few years but isn't going to solve our problems. We definitely should not be trading away early draft picks unless it's for a bonafide superstar with more footy ahead of them than behind them.

I don't think we'd lose too much by trading Hill or Long but I'd want to make sure that we actually achieve a positive outcome rather than just accepting crap picks and overpaying gops to hit the salary cap floor.

Not keen on trading Clark at all unless it's for something very valuable in return.
See this is how Pfizer was able to con the world with a dodgy vaccine, LACK OF FREE THOUGHT!

Surely the witnessing of the absolute sh1it show at Essendon gives even the dumbest of human beings a clue that Clarko was never available to us. Imagine if we had of beat them to the punch and sacked Ratts and then called Clarko up to ask him if he was interested.

Just think people, typing your thoughts gives you time so PLEASE...take a moment.

groupie1
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 10:19pm The fact that everything from inside the club is not being run out in the media is a good thing. It suggests that the club are not leaking news like they have in the past.

We will have 5 list spots vacant before the trade period so we should expect movement. We are not going to fill all the list spots at the draft you would think?
I agree.

Silence here is good.
Could indicate: dealings with clubs remaining in finals.
Deliberately going under the radar.

Who knows. But no need to shout our intentions from the rooftops.

Personally, I'd be happy if we manage to trade heavily into next year's draft.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 4:47pm
Surely the witnessing of the absolute sh1it show at Essendon gives even the dumbest of human beings a clue that Clarko was never available to us. Imagine if we had of beat them to the punch and sacked Ratts and then called Clarko up to ask him if he was interested.

Just think people, typing your thoughts gives you time so PLEASE...take a moment.
Essendon were too late. I think we should have been discretely sounding out Clarko from the beginning of the year and then ramped up our efforts once the team dropped off post-bye.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 7:36am
Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 4:47pm

Essendon were too late. I think we should have been discretely sounding out Clarko from the beginning of the year and then ramped up our efforts once the team dropped off post-bye.
Clarko has made it so well known that he doesn't believe it is ethically right to talk to a club about a potential coaching position while the club has a contracted coach.

Clarko would never have taken the call earlier in the year.

Moreover Ratts is a friend of his and was the person who bought Ratts to Hawthorn when his son was tragically killed to help get around him.

It's understandable if you weren't aware of these facts but now that you are I'm sure you'll agree Clarko was never available to us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think maybe he might have been available. I think maybe the club just chose otherwise. Here’s where my thinking is coming from

They complain about St Kilda not chasing Clarko earlier this year but they fail to acknowledge that most of the people in charge and the footy administration in charge from 5 years ago when Cho was re-appointed, are still running the show at St Kilda

The Saints didn’t chase Clarkson when we should have and when there was trouble brewing at Hawthorn between him and Kennet. We resigned Alan Richardson at the end of 2017, even though Clarko wasn’t guaranteed a contract renewal at that stage.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... awks-coach

With Jeff Kennett back as President it was only a matter of time before the two parties would split

There was rampant speculation on Clarko’s future in 2018 when Hawthorn confirmed they wouldn’t negotiate a new contract until the end of 2018.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/coach-unsu ... 9cbb51bb5a

How stupid would Kennett have looked if he’d not offered Clarkson a contract at the end of 2018 when Clarko had just got them a top 4 finish for the year?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-a ... 937b5df367

https://www.afl.com.au/news/67182/very- ... s-new-deal
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 14 Sep 2022 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.

seano1
Club Player

Some say we should be doing a Geelong topping up our list with seasoned players but that boat left after our last gf appearance, some say we missed playing finals this year …..we were losing by a fair bit Pies were winning or losing by a kick . Back to the Geelongs Hawks etc they don’t seem to overpay the players as we have done if reports if Hawkins pay is $300,000 a year, in a good years it was said our highest paid players were our top 8 with roo being the highest this didn’t allow a lot of room to bring anyone in who had great skills.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

All we know for sure at this stage is that Long is out. That's it.

Trade period still more than two weeks away. There will be a lot going on behind the scenes that we know nothing about

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 3:18pm
footynut wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 2:57pm
So why aren't we targeting players who can help us be a formidable opponent in the finals?
We need to trade for higher draft picks. Forget trying to reel in another mercenary, let’s get some young guns in the draft!
I literally think it's this. And to boot - if DeGoey wasn't a RFA - we wouldn't be into him either as we'd have to give up draft capital.

I have a distinct feeling that we're headed to the next two drafts to try and stock up from the bottom up and do what Melb did in 2015 / 16 /17 (and the Bulldogs before them). Only problem is that our draft hand isn't that great so, it'll be players out to get draft picks in.

It's clear the Jones / Hill / Hannebery strategy didn' t work (carve-out for B Crouch who's been ok but a RFA) so, build from within it is.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:27pm
So why aren't we targeting players who can help us be a formidable opponent in the finals?
We need to trade for higher draft picks. Forget trying to reel in another mercenary, let’s get some young guns in the draft!
I literally think it's this. And to boot - if DeGoey wasn't a RFA - we wouldn't be into him either as we'd have to give up draft capital.

I have a distinct feeling that we're headed to the next two drafts to try and stock up from the bottom up and do what Melb did in 2015 / 16 /17 (and the Bulldogs before them). Only problem is that our draft hand isn't that great so, it'll be players out to get draft picks in.

It's clear the Jones / Hill / Hannebery strategy didn' t work (carve-out for B Crouch who's been ok but a RFA) so, build from within it is.
Wasn't that our strategy back in 2012/2013? Off load players, load up on draft picks. Problem is most of our draft picks turned out to be average players. Draft is a lottery. Select wisely and you win the lottery for 10 years. ie Dees with Petracca and Oliver. Pick poorly and you go no where like we have. Which is why we tried a different strategy of choosing players who are experienced so we know what we are getting. That didn't work either. We simply have to get better at drafting. Roo, Dal, Lenny. BJ, Fish. Joey all set us up from the late 90's/early 2000's drafting. They were the core and then some smart trading brought in Dempster, Schneider, Gardiner.

We have been clueless for a long time now

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I think you might be into something. If this is in fact the recruiters approach then it is confirmation the club had overrated this current list and has decided to go into a rebuild phase of some magnitude.

All that will be needed is a another letter from the Prez to confirm the club got it wrong and won't be challenging as previously predicted. Nothing wrong with admitting they got it wrong but I'd get on the front foot before the trade period because they will come for the Prez and his letter writing.

I'd do a Qantas and blame the Pademic.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So is Matt Crouch coming or not?

2 crouches make a hidden dragon don't they?

I think I heard the mouse squeek.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 1:36pm So is Matt Crouch coming or not?

2 crouches make a hidden dragon don't they?

I think I heard the mouse squeek.
I think the club stated he is highly rated while not playing him which loosely translated means the Crows have stamped his papers but still want top dollar for their junk...see Ben Long.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Think it’s clearly this hence dangling Clark they need legit draft capital
That means this clubs previous top up strategy has massively failed
It means whatever BS the footy Dept and Ratten sold the Board is exposed as disgracefully out of touch
Hence Board/Prez now want a review….after they’ve already **** up and re-signed an under performing middling coach
Upshot? Been in no man’s land for 10 years now and due to this incompetence you can expect a few more years
Essentially this “mini re-set” allows the club now an excuse to say “yeah but we are young dude now so will take time..,”
Meanwhile , Lethlean gets a promotion
Ratten an extension
Lade probably soon gets life membership
AND the big one….
This “new plan” relies on the correct drafting decisions and players drafted being developed BY THE SAME strategic geniuses running the club who have put us exactly where we are????
It’s absolutely comical
Loser? Saints members.

“Yeah….nah””