If Brad Hill chooses to leave do we have to pay

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Brad Hill chooses to leave do we have to pay

Hill is supposedly a cream on the top player, but generally those kinds of players still work hard, get the ball, and then use their elite skills to advantage.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Money and picks were lost on his way in.
Depreciate the asset to today’s worth and deal accordingly!

If you’ve been sold a car with 3 wheels you aren’t going to get a great ride or trade in.

Recognise our stuff ups and try to avoid repeats!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The question is do we have someone on our list who can effectively play his role? Ben Long has shown good signs when he's played in the back half. I also think Hunter Clark could be that player. Leo Connolly has the speed and the foot skills. McKenzie could also be that player.

If we can confidently say that we have a player who can play his role as well as he does, then trading Hill would not be too damaging.

If North want him I say we stand our ground on obtaining North's 2023 2nd round pick, even if we have to cough up our fourth rounder in return.

groupie1
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 7:51pm Interesting one.... I ain't no legal eagle but if he is the one insisting on leaving and requesting a trade then surely that breaks his contract and we wouldn't be liable to honor the remaining years??

Can anyone clarify?
That is up to Brad Hill.
If he chooses to take a lesser salary at another club, he has the right to 'retire' or exit the contract with no obligation from us.
We can enforce it... but then we're on the hook for the full deal.

TBH this is less about contract law than leverage.

By declaring himself, allegedly, willing to walk, we can leverage down what we would owe him and mount the argument he is willing to walk to a contract worth Current Contract minus x% at North and is therefore not owed whatever we'd otherwise need to top up to get him at par with current salary.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

He's actually being decent about it. Treloar insisted on fulfilling his contract and the Pies had no choice but to honor the salary level, no matter who paid what % of it.

(They back-ended his deal so badly that he was owed a fortune by the Pies, so I don't blame him).

groupie1
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 27 Aug 2022 6:25pm The question is do we have someone on our list who can effectively play his role? Ben Long has shown good signs when he's played in the back half. I also think Hunter Clark could be that player. Leo Connolly has the speed and the foot skills. McKenzie could also be that player.

If we can confidently say that we have a player who can play his role as well as he does, then trading Hill would not be too damaging.

If North want him I say we stand our ground on obtaining North's 2023 2nd round pick, even if we have to cough up our fourth rounder in return.
Modern game means we need breakaway speed and good execution from halfback.

I expect to see the current lineup of:
Paton Howard Wilke
Webster Battle Sinclair (Hill)

to change to:
Highmore Howard Wilke
Sinclair Battle Connolly (Coffield)

We need to a/ intercept every ball in, and we need that pace/ball user out of D.

I think Paton/Webster losing spots gives Connolly/Highmore and Wilke the responsibility of shutting down a gun small forward.

If Wilke becomes that player we need to get him an AA guernsey

Club Player

I still don't really understand why St Kilda would have to pay anything of Hill's salary if he wants out. He is the one breaking the contract. If he wants to go to North we hold the aces. We trade him for a pick - whatever that may be and he takes a pay cut if North won't pay him his current contract. It's on him. If North wants him they trade for him.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 12:58pm I still don't really understand why St Kilda would have to pay anything of Hill's salary if he wants out. He is the one breaking the contract. If he wants to go to North we hold the aces. We trade him for a pick - whatever that may be and he takes a pay cut if North won't pay him his current contract. It's on him. If North wants him they trade for him.
Because he may be happy to stay, and if we want him out more than he is prepared to stay then we’ll have to contribute.
It all depends on where Hill is at - if he’s unhappy at Saints then he may be prepared to sacrifice part of his salary to get a deal done elsewhere.
If he’s not unhappy and the situation is we’re trying to move him on then he’s entitled to whatever his contract says he is.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 1:05pm
1971 wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 12:58pm I still don't really understand why St Kilda would have to pay anything of Hill's salary if he wants out. He is the one breaking the contract. If he wants to go to North we hold the aces. We trade him for a pick - whatever that may be and he takes a pay cut if North won't pay him his current contract. It's on him. If North wants him they trade for him.
Because he may be happy to stay, and if we want him out more than he is prepared to stay then we’ll have to contribute.
It all depends on where Hill is at - if he’s unhappy at Saints then he may be prepared to sacrifice part of his salary to get a deal done elsewhere.
If he’s not unhappy and the situation is we’re trying to move him on then he’s entitled to whatever his contract says he is.
Doesn't answer the question ..what if he wants out .

longtimesaint
Club Player

He is contracted for two more years.
He stays unless we get a godfather deal offered.

One year will be our year
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 1:35pm
Doesn't answer the question ..what if he wants out .
If he wants out then his contract is torn up
He can retire and get nothing from us.
If he wants to go elsewhere then a deal between the 2 clubs needs to be done
He can’t simply walk away from us and go where he wants (AFL)

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If I were Hill, I wouldn't want to stay. Hiding to nothing.

Tries hard and presents. Can play half a great season, attract taggers and get the oppo coaches really thinking.

Drops off a level, when the whole team loses intensity..but is blamed squarely and accused of not getting enough possessions to justify his 900K. Like he is supposed to be two or three players. Meanwhile, players coast through with single digits, play one blinder and are lauded as playing a 'breakout game'.

Would be better off at North with Clarko.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

In truth Hill is about a 600k player ..... pretty clear we overpaid .....even on his Freo form

At the time when we traded for him we were desperate for outside skill and class .... we saw it in a few a games but not enough to make a difference ....and definitely not a 800 - 900k difference

Win some .. lose some ..... but it seems we are making a habit of targeting the wrong players to get the big bucks

This needs to change

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hill has a contract and gets his money no matter what, just depends who pays it.

He can say he wants out and St Kilda can say “too bad” but then they have a player on the list who doesn’t want to be there which could turn into a cancer real quick.

Just look at the recent Jack Steven incident.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Might need to consult Shaq. Seems to know things.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

North forumites have many ludicrous dreams....

Hill Tirade:
They have a split from Pick 1 into two picks...as no one team has 2 picks (yet) in the First round there's lots of speckled elations.

GWS is rumoured on these salubrious forums to be in it to win it.

GWS Send Pick 3, 21 and a player North have enquiry on for...
North Pick 1.

The most chatted rumour is:

Richmond sends Pick 12,19 plus Martin to North
Richmond receives pick #1.

This gives North with mids to small forward / defender formidity in Zebel, Martin, Hill, Uniacke, Simpson. After which they have little to show for years of rebuild.

Another suggests trading:
North Pick 1 to St Kilda
St Kilda Pick 9, 27 plus Hill to North

Don't like it. But #1...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 1:03pm
North Pick 1 to St Kilda

Don't like it. But #1...
I’d snap that up in a heart beat

No way that offer would go on the table

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 2:29pm
North Pick 1 to St Kilda

Don't like it. But #1...
I agree, we'd sign before the paper was flat on the table...

amusingname
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 2:29pm
North Pick 1 to St Kilda

Don't like it. But #1...

If that was offered, especially with north taking on Hill’s contract, you would sign it and sprint to afl hq to lodge it before the white coats come and commit clarko, Viney and anyone else involved.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Paddy one of the factors of Hill coming to the Saints originally? Now Paddy has gone, Hill is probably losing interest and wants out.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Did Paddy go to Norf?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 3:07pm Wasn't Paddy one of the factors of Hill coming to the Saints originally? Now Paddy has gone, Hill is probably losing interest and wants out.
Hill could probably help himself and the club by losing some kegs instead of losing interest. Clearly the big payday affords him too much beer and pasta.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 4:01pm Did Paddy go to Norf?
Went South.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 3:26pm

Tries hard and presents. Can play half a great season, attract taggers and get the oppo coaches really thinking.

Drops off a level, when the whole team loses intensity..but is blamed squarely and accused of not getting enough possessions to justify his 900K. Like he is supposed to be two or three players. Meanwhile, players coast through with single digits, play one blinder and are lauded as playing a 'breakout game'.

I dont think when you are playing hbf you can judge his affectiveness simply by his disposal tally. He basically needed to learn to win one on one contests and in that sense he is a very average player. The days of 'sea gulling' in any position have passed, hence his inability to work on the contested part of his game are telling.

If Clarko thinks he can get more commitment out of him, then good luck to North.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 29 Aug 2022 4:25pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 28 Aug 2022 3:26pm

I dont think when you are playing hbf you can judge his affectiveness simply by his disposal tally. He basically needed to learn to win one on one contests and in that sense he is a very average player. The days of 'sea gulling' in any position have passed, hence his inability to work on the contested part of his game are telling.

If Clarko thinks he can get more commitment out of him, then good luck to North.
I will respectfully disagree with this.
As an under 15 Cs champion back pocket myself,
I would suggest that little-kick-turnovers he gets accused, whether or not they are 100% his bad deeds or not, arise because he presents and heat a fair bit of the ball. So I think he can still get his fingers in the ball and spring away like a gazelle as before and I also think it is a part of modern footy. I absolutely do not think the ‘seagull’ (cool word by the way) is a bird of the past - a dodo.

Now we escapes contests yes..but he did start to hold a few tackles I noticed towards the end of the season. Moreover. He started to get attention and was played in odd positions for my elite football brain.

I remember one game(Carlton?) when the ball was bounced and he came racing through the center and delivered well into the forward line

But I agree, footy changes and it maybe his role is diminished. His reputation certainly is from a football fan peanut perspective.

I’ll be interested to see if he slims down again if he goes to North.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!