Latest DeGoey Rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Latest DeGoey Rumour

The Saints pursuit of DeGoey is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I know zero about footy contracts, but Vortex's posts make a lot of sense to me.
De Goey's manager might be talking to JDG about offering the Pies a sign that he has matured, and it would be attractive to their list manager.
Esp after the loss of Treloar, money is an issue.
It's like an actor accepting a certain amount for a movie, with a % of box office, merchandising, video games, etc.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Only once has DeGoey got over 400 disposals in a season (2021) ..... over his career he has averaged 17.5 disposals 4marks 3 tackles and 1.27 goals a game ...... he is pretty much a glorified Half Forward who can light it up occasionally with the odd centre square appearance ....... is this output worth 800k a season?? ..... coupled with chance of him fking up 🤔

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 4:21pm Only once has DeGoey got over 400 disposals in a season (2021) ..... over his career he has averaged 17.5 disposals 4marks 3 tackles and 1.27 goals a game ...... he is pretty much a glorified Half Forward who can light it up occasionally with the odd centre square appearance ....... is this output worth 800k a season?? ..... coupled with chance of him fking up 🤔
Couldn’t agree more! This pursuit for him doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. He’s overrated on the field and a scumbag off the field. Not sure why people are frothing over the prospect of him coming to St.Kilda. We’ve already blown money on mercenaries (Hanners and Hill) and this’ll make us look like bigger chumps.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 4:21pm Only once has DeGoey got over 400 disposals in a season (2021) ..... over his career he has averaged 17.5 disposals 4marks 3 tackles and 1.27 goals a game ...... he is pretty much a glorified Half Forward who can light it up occasionally with the odd centre square appearance ....... is this output worth 800k a season?? ..... coupled with chance of him fking up 🤔
What would you have paid for Cyril Rioli?
Never topped 400 disposals. Averaged 15.1 disposals, 3.8 marks, 4.6 tackles, and 1.5 goals per game. He was a glorified half forward. But his 15 disposals were more effective and damaging than most others.

De Goey is in the same ilk. His creativity and ball use is what we lack.

Templar
Club Player

His creativity in inventing stories for his head coach also unsurpassed in the modern era. Made Figjam look like a clown. Quite entertaining.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 4:51pm
Never topped 400 disposals. Averaged 15.1 disposals, 3.8 marks, 4.6 tackles, and 1.5 goals per game. He was a glorified half forward. But his 15 disposals were more effective and damaging than most others.

Rioli was probably on around 600-650k a year (his last contract) from what I read in some reports at his peak ..... he also played alongside Franklin Roughead Breust Gunston

When Rioli was 26 /27 (2016 & 2016) he was kicking 40+ goals in a season ...... DeGoey has kicked 40+ once (2018) and the last 2 seasons has kicked 23 & 15

And we want to pay him 200k more a season than Cyril?

Reeks a bit of desperation ..... unless they think they can get 40+ goals out of DeGoey with the hope he stays out of trouble

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 5:25pm Rioli was probably on around 600-650k a year (his last contract) from what I read in some reports at his peak ..... he also played alongside Franklin Roughead Breust Gunston
Was on that probably because he played along side Franklin, Roughead, Gunston, Hodge, Breust, Lewis, and Mitchell.
At a less star-studded and successful club, I am sure he'd be on more.
List sizes are also smaller now and salary caps are higher.

Talented players that explore free agency are always going to be paid overs. It's the nature of the beast.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Ollie Henry at loggerheads with Pies over new contract

Currently on a rookie contract and Pies looking at bringing in McStay, Bobby Hill & Taranto

Kicked 21.15 from 13 games starting this year .... is only 20 and has huge scope for improvement ..... would be a good get and may only cost a 2nd rounder

Better than paying JDG 800k a year

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 5:25pm

Reeks a bit of desperation .....
so its a done deal then

Seeya
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Have to wait and see

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 5:43pm Ollie Henry at loggerheads with Pies over new contract

Currently on a rookie contract and Pies looking at bringing in McStay, Bobby Hill & Taranto

Kicked 21.15 from 13 games starting this year .... is only 20 and has huge scope for improvement ..... would be a good get and may only cost a 2nd rounder

Better than paying JDG 800k a year
Two different players. We need an elite mid and Henry is a forward. That’s where he’s played most of his footy growing up

We have Sharman who is developing so unless we have changed our mind on Cooper I wouldn’t be targeting Ollie

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see the fuss tbh
First question is: where is the youth/list at really?
If too far away don’t see De Goey as the answer

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 2:15pm I did not but can only imagine that should team KPIs be reached then the players as a club share that team bonus. The stars will still get star wages and the role players will get role player wages.

Good of Bucks to go down this path after his playing career. Did he say whether he pleaded with his manager to have this included instead of or on top of his contract?
I think that Bucks idea wasn't to propose the players all be paid the same it was more about the bonus component of each players contract be based around team KPIs rather than individual KPIs alone.

Makes complete sense to me and coming back to DeGoey, as I say I would still offer him the same deal thst was on the table before his Bali Holiday but amend the contract to include serious performance bonus payments linked to the teams finals wins. It's the carrot and not the stick because he is still going to attract attract same money from us but at the Pies he is probably the one player that makes or breaks their chances of winning a flag. Money and flags trumps money and wooden spoons I recon.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The club being interested in JDG is simply them doing due diligence on any FAs and RFAs, to see if they'll fit in our plans.
They will rule him out if he doesn't tick enough boxes.

Having a new midfield coach would naturally factor into the calculations- can LH get him under control?
Or, does LH think he can be reigned in?

Not a done deal, yet.
A bit to play out

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

On less time at centre bounces than our current best mids this year, DeGoey is better in most respects and he kicks more goals than any of them.

Just f****** get him.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

You didn’t just compare de goey to Cyril lol.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mike Tyson of all people summed up St Kilda’s De Goey predicament nicely when he supposedly said that everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s a no brainer in my opinion

He is a FA

Do not have to give up ANY draft capital!

Midfield
Marshall 201
Steele 187
Crouch 185
DeGoey 190

Back Up
Ross 187
Jones 180
Windhager 185

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 10:48pm It’s a no brainer in my opinion

He is a FA

Do not have to give up ANY draft capital!

Midfield
Marshall 201
Steele 187
Crouch 185
DeGoey 190

Back Up
Ross 187
Jones 180
Windhager 185
Career wise he has averaged around 20 possessions a game ..... you want to pay a guy 800k a year for 20 possessions

The only time he really seems to impact games is forward and its a handful of games at best ...... this year averaged 20 disposals and less than a goal a game

A wannabee Dusty with an attitude issue by all accounts

The fact that he would leave Collingwood ..... a team supposedly on the up ..... to a team outside the 8 for more money ...... the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear ..... one fk up and the Media are gunna smash him and us

Is he really truly worth it after the Hannebery and Hill debacles?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 10:37pm Mike Tyson of all people summed up St Kilda’s De Goey predicament nicely when he supposedly said that everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
And we are seemingly standing there face ou ... hands behind the back .... just begging to be punched

Doesn't seem to be any other clubs chasing him

One fk up and the Media are gunna bring a ton of crap down on him and the club ....... they would praying that he stuffs up

From what I heard as well that the playing group aren't too keen on the idea either

Interesting times

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

When did the club first approach Lenny?
When did the club decide it was gonna look at JDG?

Not a coincidence.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 10:20pm

You didn’t just compare de goey to Cyril lol.
Statistically, yes.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Impact players

Very different to accumulators

That being said

DeGoey played a lot of footy as a forward

You DONT average mid numbers playing as a forward

There is no question on his

Durability (Hannebery)
Heart (Hill)
Ability

The only question is off field issues - which I don’t give two f**** about!!!

My only question
Does he make us a better football side?

Answer
Yes

We have DeGoey- we win 2 more games imo - that’s 13

We have a good run with injury - that’s another win or two - that’s 14-15

I am bullish about the list
Just needs an injection of quality

I’d have a massive crack at Amon and DeGoey

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Amon has said he's going to the Hawks. I hope we do recruit JDG he would make a difference to both our forward & midfield mix. Although I think Collingwood will offer him good dollars if they can get Grundy off their books. So basically if Grundy leaves I believe he stays.

If we fail to attract JDG as a free agent, the club are going to have to seriously look at trading out a player/s. Particularly if they are looking at bringing in other talent via trades. We simply cant keep trading out of the drafts early picks every year, we are giving up on our future. Look at what the 2021 draft produced NWM, Owens, Windhager, Adams, Peris & Hayes.

The club desparately needs to start stock piling and developing talent via drafts, so they can then get to a point where they release players who attract quality draft picks eg Richmond, Geelong.