The class of Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: The class of Hannebery

Interesting wrinkle. Never for one moment did I imagine that Hanners playing as well as he did would be an excuse for some on here to turn it into a negative by saying he showed how much the rest of our list sucked.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Anybody know Dan's last quarter stats? Was he cooked or going ok? It's a bit of a blur to me?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 3:36pm Anybody know Dan's last quarter stats? Was he cooked or going ok? It's a bit of a blur to me?
3 handballs

Not sure if he faded or was rested

scuttleShake
Club Player

He went off with cramping.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 3:36pm Anybody know Dan's last quarter stats? Was he cooked or going ok? It's a bit of a blur to me?
He said he cramped up and spent the last 10 minutes on the bench

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Medium to well done, which was to be expected.

Saint supporter since '62
Killa
Club Player

With all the focus on Hannebery, who is overlooked is Clark

His disposal early was haphazard at best but he corrected that and had an impact

Clark has missed much footy over this season and recent seasons - and he has been a loss

Notable also were the times Windhager was in the centre square albeit tagging

IMO Steele has taken time to regain confidence and form after his shoulder problems

It was also notable that Hawthorn made a belated iMO move to push McEvoy forward to expose our lack of height, we only having King and Marshall and Lienert over 193cm (then having lost a tall forward to injury)

The reason for Sharman back is his 193cm and his leap which saw some crucial spoils He gets his fist to balls and has pace

Liernert was alternatively on a wing or rucking at centre bounces

I noted also that twice in the last quarter when Hawthorn scored from the goal line it was Ross exposed as our last line defender

Ross sometimes lacks “chase pace” and flexibility in movement (he is not a natural grab it and go player hence props and stands as he often does)

Also players attracted to the contest and causing the spillages we saw resulted in Ross having no support

No doubt that will be reviewed

However, in the fuller equation we kept them to 1 first half goal - and off the back of that effort it should have been game done at half time

Scoring shots over the second half were about equal - so more opportunities missed

Killa
Club Player

His disposal early was haphazard at best but he corrected that and had an impact

Clark has missed much footy over this season and recent seasons - and he has been a loss

IMO Steele has taken time to regain confidence and form after his shoulder problems

It was also notable that Hawthorn made a belated iMO move to push McEvoy forward to expose our lack of height, we only having King and Marshall and Lienert over 193cm (then having lost a tall forward to injury)

The reason for Sharman back is his 193cm and his leap which saw some crucial spoils He gets his fist to balls and has pace

I noted also that twice in the last quarter when Hawthorn scored from the goal line it was Ross exposed as our last line defender

Ross sometimes lacks “chase pace” and flexibility in movement (he is not a natural grab it and go player hence props and stands as he often does)

Also players attracted to the contest and causing the spillages we saw resulted in Ross having no support

However, in the fuller equation we kept them to 1 first half goal - and off the back of that effort it should have been game done at half time

Scoring shots over the second half were about equal - so more opportunities missed

Killa
Club Player

Killa
Club Player

Killa
Club Player

Killa
Club Player

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 9:31pm With all the focus on Hannebery, who is overlooked is Clark

Re Hunter . Haphazard is an understatement his first 4 disposals were atrocious don't get me wrong I love the blokes courage & effort but in the first quarter he was a liability . Got a little better in the second half but hardly got off the chain IMO

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hunter .... coming off shattered jaw, shattered nose, busted shoulder .... 3 separate serious incidents

Me thinks we should give him a little more time

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If there is excuses for sub par performance

Ie coming back from injury

Then he should be in the VFL

Because once he steps over the line in the AFL - he is meant to be physically and mentally ready!

So that’s on the match committee

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 4:40am If there is excuses for sub par performance

Ie coming back from injury

Then he should be in the VFL

Because once he steps over the line in the AFL - he is meant to be physically and mentally ready!

So that’s on the match committee
Well they got it right as he was very good as the game went on.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 2:28am Hunter .... coming off shattered jaw, shattered nose, busted shoulder .... 3 separate serious incidents

This.
I’m pretty sure half the Nancy’s on here would give the game away completely if they had of suffered even one of these injuries

I am in awe of the courage of this man, he is an excellent footballer and has been said give him time.

Killa
Club Player

Clark is just too good to be playing VFL, other than on (severely, so 60% as a figure) limited game time as a part of recovery.

And the description was "haphazard at best"

The meaning of that description being exactly as described.

Hannebery was on limited time, so frequently on the Interchange including for much of the last quarter particularly the last 15 minutes because of cramp.

After he passed to King, he was immediately off (as an example).

Looked at the result of the delivery, and then straight to the bench.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:34pmBytel.
That's an interesting call saynta, would you care to elaborate on this judgment?

It would be great if he indeed turns out as good as Hannebery but from the 16 games I have seen Bytel play so far he has not really showed a hell of lot, even taking into account the chronic injuries that have bugged him since his debut in 2020.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 10:43am
That's an interesting call saynta, would you care to elaborate on this judgment?

It would be great if he indeed turns out as good as Hannebery but from the 16 games I have seen Bytel play so far he has not really showed a hell of lot, even taking into account the chronic injuries that have bugged him since his debut in 2020.
Has the same lightening quick hands and footballing nous. Both not overly quick, but know how to win the ball.Also both are courageous and tough as nails.

Bytel just need a chance otherwise we will lose him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 9:38am
Devilhead wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 2:28am Hunter .... coming off shattered jaw, shattered nose, busted shoulder .... 3 separate serious incidents

This.
I’m pretty sure half the Nancy’s on here would give the game away completely if they had of suffered even one of these injuries

I am in awe of the courage of this man, he is an excellent footballer and has been said give him time.
I died on a football field once and was playing the next week. I never paid for a beer at my local after that.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 10:50am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 10:43am

Has the same lightening quick hands and footballing nous. Both not overly quick, but know how to win the ball.Also both are courageous and tough as nails.

Bytel just need a chance otherwise we will lose him.
Hannebery was an elite runner in his peak with Sydney and very good by foot.

I don’t see that in Bytel.
Very good inside hands.

I hope I am wrong but I see more a Charlie Constable than Dan Hannebery in Bytel.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Killa
Club Player

Remember that last season Dunstan was dropped because we had Bytel and preferred to expose Bytel

And Bytel played well, including hitting the scoreboard (which you really want your mids to do).

The expectation was that he would continue in 2022

But, once again, injuries have impacted.

Given a full pre-season and an uninterrupted season, I would expect Bytel to consolidate in our 22.

The question is at whose expense?

Ahead of any Trading (and Drafting) we have the likes of Jones, Gresham, Wanganeen-Milera, Byrnes, Billings and McKenzie hunting down midfield/wing positions.

And Steele, Hill, Crouch, Owens, Windhager, Hannebery, Ross, Wood and even Lienert and Long in the 22.

Then you could introduce Sinclair to a midfield/wing role given Clark and Coffield being available.

What we need in our mid-field is additional leg speed both defence and attack, so closing down and carrying the ball forward by genuine straight line leg speed.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bytel has missed a ton of football. Missed half of this season due to injury. It's true he's got very good hands and is tough. HIs speed? Hmmm...not so sure. Looks a little slow to me, but then again, a big pre-season could remedy that to some point. Players look slow when their aerobic fitness isn't where it needs to be. He's got some stiff competition now, which is good, as it will drive him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 7:56pm
Medium to well done, which was to be expected.
Judging by the way he was running in the last quarter, I reckon Hannas is sore and will struggle to get up against the Cats

It will be a miracle if he can recover and play that well again this year.