Ben Long. Furious

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Long. Furious

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 3:13am Yes Long is unskilled but so were a lot of other useful players (e.g. Steve Baker, Clint Jones).

Long brings a lot of pressure and aggression.

A smart coach would make him integral, not periperal.

Could be be turned into a tagger?
Yeah but, we want Jack Billings and Brad Hill to feel comfortable at the club and not feel like they have to play with that same aggression and pressure

We don't need them put their head over the footy and actually win any contested ball against West Coast....and don't forget...

They are the cream when we paly off in a Grand Final

We don't want to upset the midfield coach and the forwards coach who don't want Long in the line up.

Winning a game of football is secondary to just feeling safe and comfortable in your place of employment at St Kilda FC

Challenging people is difficult and confronting. That's why Richardson was chosen over Choco Williams

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully this thread will disappear when Longy plays against the Eagles at Optus Stadium

I'm hoping Ratts might finally start springing a few surprises instead of flagging things to the opposition the way he did with Sharman last week

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 3:01am
Vortex wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 6:37pm So Ratts said there are players who will be lucky to be playing this week and are on their last chance, so who are they?, this is my list:

Billings
Gresham
Buttler
Higgins
Byrnes
Sharman
Paton
Crouch had 1 clearance last week and 1 inside 50 for the match. How is he off the hook?

I don't agree with your list by the way
Yep had a poor game and is part of a midfiled group that is very vanilla. Gresh is not a midfielder and we have Higgins and Buttler as small forwards so overstocked for small forwards and I think Higgins is the better option so trade Gresh while he has currency and the comp don't realise he is woeful by foot.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I just don't get the Anti-Gresh brigade.

He has some match winning games, and is a player that is a point of difference for us, he is genuinely quick and elusive and is versatile.

We should not trade him unless we get a crazy offer

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 4:02am Hopefully this thread will disappear when Longy plays against the Eagles at Optus Stadium

I'm hoping Ratts might finally start springing a few surprises instead of flagging things to the opposition the way he did with Sharman last week
Agreed
Giggling on Fox like he has an ace up his sleeve
Problem is they all knew it
Cagey Brett

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:37am I just don't get the Anti-Gresh brigade.

He has some match winning games, and is a player that is a point of difference for us, he is genuinely quick and elusive and is versatile.

Clubs have worked out his zig and zag which is why he gets caught all the time trying to do Dusty impersonations. And if he does break the lines he butchers the ball by foot with his crab style kick or his poor decision making into F50 which is atrocious, and next time you hear muppets cry about long bombs into F50 have a look at who the kicker was.

Templar
Club Player

Three or four more Ben Longs would have been handy last week. Baffling not rewarded for bringing it.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep
A smart coach would make him integral, not periperal.

i'm in the Baffled Camp

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 11:08am
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:37am I just don't get the Anti-Gresh brigade.

Clubs have worked out his zig and zag which is why he gets caught all the time trying to do Dusty impersonations. And if he does break the lines he butchers the ball by foot with his crab style kick or his poor decision making into F50 which is atrocious, and next time you hear muppets cry about long bombs into F50 have a look at who the kicker was.
Our opponents are far more concerned when Gresh has the ball in his hands than they are when Steele, Ross, Crouch, Windhager, etc. have it. He's not yet in the top drawer, but posess a genuine threat: something you can't say about many of his teammates. I'd sooner see Steele put on the trade table than Gresh. He's that important.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 11:49am
Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 11:08am

Our opponents are far more concerned when Gresh has the ball in his hands than they are when Steele, Ross, Crouch, Windhager, etc. have it. He's not yet in the top drawer, but posess a genuine threat: something you can't say about many of his teammates. I'd sooner see Steele put on the trade table than Gresh. He's that important.
Time will tell then I suppose but if he is our number one banana in the midfield then I can't see us moving to top 4 status any time soon. We need a marquee type in the middle, a top 5 player. Gresh isn't that good.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gresh just doesn't have clean hands. Fumbles too much for my liking,

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our midfield isn't going to get us into a GF, and basically, no matter what talent they have or what they have done in the past, they are pretty ordinary unit at he moment and it is why we are sliding.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm furious we didn't draft Bolton .... our recruiters have a lot to answer for!

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S
Last edited by samoht on Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but guess who’s going to be lining up in the centre against West Coast…

It'll be Seb, Steele, Crouch and Gresh plus the usual suspects chipping in with Clark and Windy.

Who’d I leave out? Has Billings or Sinclair ever started the game at the first bounce? Maybe these two guys will work together better as a combo because they’ve played together for a long time and understand each others game.

Who else has played midfield this year apart from our rucks (and they’re named in the squad to play Sunday) and they’ve actually gone into the centre after a goal is scored?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:16pm Yeah, but guess who’s going to be lining up in the centre against West Coast…

It'll be Seb, Steele, Crouch and Gresh plus the usual suspects chipping in with Clark and Windy.

Who’d I leave out? Has Billings or Sinclair ever started the game at the first bounce? Maybe these two guys will work together better as a combo because they’ve played together for a long time and understand each others game.

Who else has played midfield this year apart from our rucks (and they’re named in the squad to play Sunday) and they’ve actually gone into the centre after a goal is scored?
Are you suggesting Long or Billings go into the midfield?

These two have to be moved on and bring in the next 2...and more.

Gresh been named on the bench and is probably one of the players who is on a last chance. I don't think there would be too many argue our against our midfield being average. A sausage is a sausage. Turn on the BBQ and get cooking.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:31pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:16pm Yeah, but guess who’s going to be lining up in the centre against West Coast…

Are you suggesting Long or Billings go into the midfield?

These two have to be moved on and bring in the next 2...and more.

Gresh been named on the bench and is probably one of the players who is on a last chance. I don't think there would be too many argue our against our midfield being average. A sausage is a sausage. Turn on the BBQ and get cooking.
When the Dogs got to a five or six goal lead, can you recall if we tried any one different in there last week?

Same in the Essendon and the Swans games. When we were getting pantsed. What did McGlynn and Ratts do differently as far as mids are concerned? Did we play 1 extra at stoppages or did we actually mix things up and try different players?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When the same line up week in week out gets put to the test against top 8 teams or teams vying for a place they fail

Ben Long has played under 100 games. How is he meant to gain some confidence when he’s in and out and was made sub two weeks in a row but is dropped even though he deserves a spot more than about 5 players who gave us nothing last week?

Instead of the apologists making excuses for the selection committee it would have been a chance this week for Ben to actually carry on with his good form from last week. Our development plan for young players is rubbish.

The other thing that is so infuriating is that we’ll probably get a win against West Coast and some of the mids and some of our under performers will play their guts out against a weak and out of form Eagles line up and all of a sudden the usual suspects will come on here and tell us “told ya”

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the unfortunate reality is Ben just not have what it takes to be a 4 quarter consistently good player. You could mount an argument for that being the case.

Ryan Byrnes may be heading the same way, but just as well he might play with stage fright at the moment and needs to be played regularly to gain confidence. Maybe.

Higgins and Butler surely ones on the very last chance list, and this is the selectors last olive branch? Connolly and Owens are at stage left waiting, waiting.

Ben hasn't yet been marked as unrequired, but he might think about playing for 4 quarters and playing smart not on emotion alone; and you don't have to be reactionary, Ben, make the play then they have to tackle you. You can fly and you can make space and cause concern for the opposition, just not often enough.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:28pm Perhaps the unfortunate reality is Ben just not have what it takes to be a 4 quarter consistently good player. You could mount an argument for that being the case.

Ryan Byrnes may be heading the same way, but just as well he might play with stage fright at the moment and needs to be played regularly to gain confidence. Maybe.

Higgins and Butler surely ones on the very last chance list, and this is the selectors last olive branch? Connolly and Owens are at stage left waiting, waiting.

Ben hasn't yet been marked as unrequired, but he might think about playing for 4 quarters and playing smart not on emotion alone; and you don't have to be reactionary, Ben, make the play then they have to tackle you. You can fly and you can make space and cause concern for the opposition, just not often enough.
Wouldn't it be easier to name a player that plays the 4 quarters consistently good ?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:37pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:28pm Perhaps the unfortunate reality is Ben just not have what it takes to be a 4 quarter consistently good player. You could mount an argument for that being the case.

Wouldn't it be easier to name a player that plays the 4 quarters consistently good ?
Battle, Wilkie, Sinclair, Steele, Seb, DMac when available, Rowan (under difficult circumstances), err, umm, ok got me.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 3:06pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:37pm

Battle, Wilkie, Sinclair, Steele, Seb, DMac when available, Rowan (under difficult circumstances), err, umm, ok got me.
:lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 12:26pm Gresh just doesn't have clean hands. Fumbles too much for my liking,
agreed - believes he's a big man & thinks he can play like Dusty - reminds me of a ping pong ball chucked into the surf - gets bounced round every where but never in control
Steele traded before Gresham is crazy talk

Seeya
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 6:46pm
saynta wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 12:26pm Gresh just doesn't have clean hands. Fumbles too much for my liking,
agreed - believes he's a big man & thinks he can play like Dusty - reminds me of a ping pong ball chucked into the surf - gets bounced round every where but never in control
Steele traded before Gresham is crazy talk
That is crazy talk IMO as well . IMO we only have 5 definite non tradeable players Steele ,Sincs ,Wilke ,King & Marshall the rest are negotiable

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ahh think thats what I said - someone above mentioned they would trade Steele before Gresham

Seeya
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Like Long, Gresh should be a much better player. And would be under a good system.

The sort of system that scorches his bad habits out of him.

Personally I think he's a forward pocket, which is where he started. In a team crowded with silky midfielders, that's no doubt where he'd be playing.