2019 trade for Hill haunts St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: 2019 trade for Hill haunts St Kilda

It was about supply and demand. We had 0 outside run and very few good ball users. Hill tick for both these boxes. probably what we needed at the time.
Hill is not the problem and has at least hit the field consistently unlike Lethlean's mate.

Acres performed well but there is a reason he is only being offered 1 year by freo. I actually really liked him but i now think he is a tease. has all the attributes to be a top line afl player except the drive. That thing that pushes some beyond their perceived limits as opposed to those that go to what they feel is their limit. He will have a good career but when he looks back at 40 surely will think i could have been better

takeaway
Club Player

A supporter from any club in the AFL could make a list of debatable trades/drafting for their club. Win some, lose some.

We got Hill, Howard & Ryder for pick 7 and Acres, plus swaps of late picks which were not used.

I'd still take that any day.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not dropping Hill in 2021 still haunts the Saints

Why is this guy untouchable?

Not dropping Hill in 2021 still haunts the Saints

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-2021-br ... 23368.html

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 12:09pm A supporter from any club in the AFL could make a list of debatable trades/drafting for their club. Win some, lose some.

We got Hill, Howard & Ryder for pick 7 and Acres, plus swaps of late picks which were not used.

Nice when you isolate the trade without looking at any variables, but what about overall cost or opportunity cost

How much are we paying the one player?

We possibly could have given Jye Caldwell a bit more or possibly attracted another quality mid

Treloar had actually nominated our club as his first choice.

We couldn't afford him because we didn't have enough in the salary cap after our desperate contract to extract Brad Hill from Freo

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Acres was poor last night; and

if Freo had Hill in their side they would have won easily. Could not transition/hit a forward target.

May cost them 2 home finals.

That trade could come home to haunt.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 5:24am
takeaway wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 12:09pm A supporter from any club in the AFL could make a list of debatable trades/drafting for their club. Win some, lose some.

Nice when you isolate the trade without looking at any variables, but what about overall cost or opportunity cost

We possibly could have given Jye Caldwell a bit more or possibly attracted another quality mid

We couldn't afford him because we didn't have enough in the salary cap after our desperate contract to extract Brad Hill from Freo
All supposition. Did Treloar actually nominate Saints, or is that from your fantastic Fox footy rumours file?

Saints priorities at the time were getting the Crouch and Higgins deals over the line, kept an eye on Treloar but he wasn't the priority. They needed a decent draft pick to get Higgins, and hence were limited draft pick wise to pursue Treloar seriously. They may have asked more questions re Treloar if either deal had fallen through.

You can't get them all, even if you are Geelong.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Hill was traded for pick 10 not 6, which ended up being pick 12

Via trades
pick 6 was turned into 12 and 18,
12 and 18 went to port for Ryder, Howard and pick 10
Pick 10 went to freo (along with 2nd rnd, 2 4th and acres) for Hill

Overall (with all related trades taken into account)
So effectively pick 6, two 2nd rnd , 4th rnd and Acres turned into Hill, Howard, Ryder.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:22am

All supposition. Did Treloar actually nominate Saints, or is that from your fantastic Fox footy rumours file?

Saints priorities at the time were getting the Crouch and Higgins deals over the line, kept an eye on Treloar but he wasn't the priority. They needed a decent draft pick to get Higgins, and hence were limited draft pick wise to pursue Treloar seriously. They may have asked more questions re Treloar if either deal had fallen through.

Saints priorities are in keeping the boys club happy. We wouldn’t want to upset any associates of the exclusive club would we?

Treloar was never a priority because we’d already made commitments to the players (Higgins and Crouch) and their player managers.

We shouldn't have gone for the same types when we already had inside mids who don’t kick goals (plus their disposal by foot is questionable) and we already had a plethora of small forwards. Poor trading and recruiting and poor list management…as usual

You and I both know that the terminology is semantics. It was widely reported that Adam chose St Kilda before he settled on the Bulldogs.

Adam Treloar’s first preference was to remain a Collingwood player. When he realised that Buckley and Collingwood were unscrupulous and would do everything they could to reduce their TPP, he chose St Kilda as his second option…The Saints were aware of Treloar’s interest but told him facilitating a trade would be too difficult. The Saints didn’t have the picks or the money to get a deal done, so Treloar’s management turned its attention to the Dogs.

“We’re very interested observers. Treloar is a sensational player,” Lethlean told SEN radio. “But if you asked me right now if he’d be at the Saints, I’d say it’s very unlikely. We don’t have the cap space or the assets for getting that deal done”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/rising-r ... -c-1522201

https://www.afl.com.au/news/523864/treloar

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 12:11pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:22am

Saints priorities are in keeping the boys club happy. We wouldn’t want to upset any associates of the exclusive club would we?

Treloar was never a priority because we’d already made commitments to the players (Higgins and Crouch) and their player managers.

We shouldn't have gone for the same types when we already had inside mids who don’t kick goals (plus their disposal by foot is questionable) and we already had a plethora of small forwards. Poor trading and recruiting and poor list management…as usual

Adam Treloar’s first preference was to remain a Collingwood player. When he realised that Buckley and Collingwood were unscrupulous and would do everything they could to reduce their TPP, he chose St Kilda as his second option…The Saints were aware of Treloar’s interest but told him facilitating a trade would be too difficult. The Saints didn’t have the picks or the money to get a deal done, so Treloar’s management turned its attention to the Dogs.

“We’re very interested observers. Treloar is a sensational player,” Lethlean told SEN radio. “But if you asked me right now if he’d be at the Saints, I’d say it’s very unlikely. We don’t have the cap space or the assets for getting that deal done”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/rising-r ... -c-1522201

https://www.afl.com.au/news/523864/treloar
Yes, as I said, he didn't nominate the Saints because they had other priorities. What is this "boys club" you keep mentioning? What media outlet did you get that from?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Semantics

You cannot nominate unless you’re a free agent. He was contracted so he couldn’t nominate shyte!

I shouldn’t have used the word nominate

asiu
Saintsational Legend

he chose St Kilda as his second option

how does that not rate as nominating the Saints

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was actually me , a week ago ... ish / whenever

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:10pm Semantics

You cannot nominate unless you’re a free agent. He was contracted so he couldn’t nominate shyte!

Plenty of players have "requested a trade to ...club", ie Jeremy Cameron. Did Treloar do that for Saints? No. Because it was never an option.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 8:00am Acres was poor last night; and

if Freo had Hill in their side they would have won easily. Could not transition/hit a forward target.

May cost them 2 home finals.

That trade could come home to haunt.
This is quite funny purely because I can't figure out how this can resemble any form of logical thinking.

Will the real Brad Hill please step forward. If he does, I think he'd be happy if his poorest games for St Kilda were as "poor" as Acres last night.

I doubt Freo will be haunted by that trade, they were hurt by Fyfe's injury. Now that was costly.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:45pm

Plenty of players have "requested a trade to ...club", ie Jeremy Cameron. Did Treloar do that for Saints? No. Because it was never an option.
Yes it was an option if we had the assets to do a trade. Why didn’t we have the assets to do a trade?

See thread title right here and the op

The recruiting decisions from the 2 years prior to the opportunity coming up to land Treloar we had already used up all viable picks or used them to get players that haven’t lived up to expectations.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 2:05pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 1:45pm

Yes it was an option if we had the assets to do a trade. Why didn’t we have the assets to do a trade?

See thread title right here and the op

The recruiting decisions from the 2 years prior to the opportunity coming up to land Treloar we had already used up all viable picks or used them to get players that haven’t lived up to expectations.
Used up what viable picks? 2nd/3rd round?

To get Higgins we had to use the pick which would have been needed to get Treloar - Pies wanted a FRP, giving change back. 2nd round picks wouldn't have done it.
Anyway, the main premise was Saints preferred Crouch to Treloar. Both have done pretty well. Crouch on less money, which seems to be a concern for you.