As bad an umpiring performance you’ll see.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: As bad an umpiring performance you’ll see.

perfectionist wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:23am
maverick wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:37am
seano1 wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:27am Thought highmore had played on and was lucky to have the reset ……..and after 5 yrs of carrying on about umpiring……. You’ve just wasted your time n energy move on just watch the game
Problem is rule says umpire has to signal play on before you tackle, so it has to be 50...
No it doesn't.

Here is the rule:

19.2 Where a field Umpire has awarded a Mark or Free Kick to a Player, or a Player is preparing
to bring or bringing the football back into play after a Behind is scored, a Fifty Metre
Penalty in favour of that Player will be awarded if the field Umpire is of the opinion that
any Player or Official from the opposing Team:
(a) has moved off The Mark;
(b) when in the immediate contest, unreasonably holds a Player after that
Player has Marked the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
(c) when not in the immediate contest, holds a Player after that Player has Marked
the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
(d) enters or does not make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected
Area, except when the Player is accompanying or following within two metres
of their opponent;
(e) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the Player awarded the
Mark or Free Kick;
(f) engages in any conduct which delays or impedes the play; or
(g) engages in any other conduct for which a Free Kick would ordinarily be awarded.

So the timing relates to when the umpire is "of the opinion" not when the umpire calls it - which can be a second after it.

In the case of the Highmore decision, part (d) applied and the umpire reset the situation, because he had not cleared the area with Harry McKay being too close.

Also, the quarter ends when any one of the three field umpires hears the siren, not when it is signalled.
That doesn’t talk about the timing at all. It talks about the action.
Where is the part that mentions a-g no longer applies?

McKay makes no effort to clear the area and turns around to face Highmore before he has taken a step.

Definite 50.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

20.1.2 b
No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected Area.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 2:37pm
perfectionist wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:23am
maverick wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:37am
seano1 wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:27am Thought highmore had played on and was lucky to have the reset ……..and after 5 yrs of carrying on about umpiring……. You’ve just wasted your time n energy move on just watch the game
Problem is rule says umpire has to signal play on before you tackle, so it has to be 50...
No it doesn't.

Here is the rule:

19.2 Where a field Umpire has awarded a Mark or Free Kick to a Player, or a Player is preparing
to bring or bringing the football back into play after a Behind is scored, a Fifty Metre
Penalty in favour of that Player will be awarded if the field Umpire is of the opinion that
any Player or Official from the opposing Team:
(a) has moved off The Mark;
(b) when in the immediate contest, unreasonably holds a Player after that
Player has Marked the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
(c) when not in the immediate contest, holds a Player after that Player has Marked
the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
(d) enters or does not make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected
Area, except when the Player is accompanying or following within two metres
of their opponent;
(e) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the Player awarded the
Mark or Free Kick;
(f) engages in any conduct which delays or impedes the play; or
(g) engages in any other conduct for which a Free Kick would ordinarily be awarded.

So the timing relates to when the umpire is "of the opinion" not when the umpire calls it - which can be a second after it.

In the case of the Highmore decision, part (d) applied and the umpire reset the situation, because he had not cleared the area with Harry McKay being too close.

Also, the quarter ends when any one of the three field umpires hears the siren, not when it is signalled.
That doesn’t talk about the timing at all. It talks about the action.
Where is the part that mentions a-g no longer applies?

McKay makes no effort to clear the area and turns around to face Highmore before he has taken a step.

Definite 50.
I agree, I thought the McKay tackle on Highmore was a definite 50 and the free against Butler was a shocker.
Looked like the umpire was paying against Butler for staging.
I remember one lucky one not paid when Windhager dragged the ball in but did not get called holding.

Other than those I really didn't notice the umpiring at all and was quite surprised by the lop sided free kick count when I read it here.
Personally I didn't think they were too bad as I barely noticed them.

I'm guessing St Peter has a personal issue with umpire Nick Foot as he has been making up stats about Foot on here for years.
At one stage he referenced Foot giving 9 frees against us and none to us on a match at it was purely fabricated.

But what would I know, it is seen as fact on here that the umpires collectively deliberately cheat against us and this cheating is sanctioned by the AFL :lol:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

There were a number of obvious holding the ball decisions not paid against Carlton, and a couple of blatant in the backs not paid to us, and apparently Gresh doesn't have a neck......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 2:37pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:10am
WellardSaint wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:05am
CURLY wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:03am
repta wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 11:57pm After this week and last week umpiring discrepancies in the umpiring the saints need to raise with the AFL.

Inexcusable the free against Butler and the non fifty against McKay.

In fact just blatant cheating.
Non fifty against McKay?

When Highmore marked it and as he went to take his kick McKay ran in and tackled him.

Clear 50 every game ever.
McKay was only in position to tackle because he was not attempting to clear the area.
He must IMMEDIATELY clear the area and wait for the umpire to call play on.

Only exception is if the umpire calls play on after the mark.
Which he did not.

Correct. Instead the umpire gave McKay a second chance.

Just blatant cheating.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Superboot
SS Life Member

For what's it's worth, I thought the umpiring was shocking, especially in the 2nd half. They pulled frees for Carlton out of the air. Must have been 5 or 6 times, there would be a normal 50-50 tussle in a marking contest, or a seemingly clean contest at a centre bounce, and Carlton would get a mystifying free kick for holding, blocking, or who knows what.

I had to watch from home, but it looked as if Saints fans were outnumbered by about 4 to 1. Wondered whether the Carlton mob, who appeared to be, as per usual, both ignorant and vociferous, had an influence on the umpires. Felt like a game in Perth or Adelaide.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 9:57am For what's it's worth, I thought the umpiring was shocking, especially in the 2nd half. They pulled frees for Carlton out of the air. Must have been 5 or 6 times, there would be a normal 50-50 tussle in a marking contest, or a seemingly clean contest at a centre bounce, and Carlton would get a mystifying free kick for holding, blocking, or who knows what.

I had to watch from home, but it looked as if Saints fans were outnumbered by about 4 to 1. Wondered whether the Carlton mob, who appeared to be, as per usual, both ignorant and vociferous, had an influence on the umpires. Felt like a game in Perth or Adelaide.
Ignorant, vociferous, unwashed, smelly and f****** dumb to boot. :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched a lot of the replay last night, and can't say I really noticed the umpiring that much, as we were playing well and winning.