Tasmania

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tasmania

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 8:58pm
saynta wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:37pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:26pm
saynta wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:19pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 4:56pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 4:53pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 4:34pm I think Tassie is a bit different. Lots of rusted-on Saints and Hawks down there who are too old to change allegiances.
I'd wager that it's not the older supporters they're targeting.
Probably not, but leaving that aside, do you support a 19th franchise?
I don't full stop.
Have you supported any of the expansions?
Honestly. No f****** way. I'm a Victorian born and bred. I hate anything that lessens the Saints chances of winning that second flag.

I lived in Tasmania for three terrible f****** years. Was glad to see that coastline disappear behind me when I left.

Would hate to see any mainlander saints being exiled to that place.
Haha you just didn't make any friends..I wonder why.
Wrong.....again :roll: :roll: :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 10:58am The Saint Devils

The ultimate dichotomy
As a fully paid up member of the atheist's association, following a club named "The Devil Saints" is something I could get behind.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You can’t believe in the devil without admitting the existence of a ‘god’, what ever that means for people. It’s a polarity.

Tasmania wouldn’t be the worst option if it was forced upon us due to circumstances. Beautiful place.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigcarl wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 10:14pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:00pm I do. Tassie should have a team of their own. It should have happened years ago. Before Gold Coast or GWS.
I agree. My solution would be to get rid of Gold Coast and keep it at 18 clubs.

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:00pm But I'm not a fan of a 19 team competition. 19 will have to become 20 very quickly.
Disagree. Winning a flag is hard enough without an extra two clubs in the comp. It's going to be like winning the lottery. My opinion anyway.
Giants n Suns were a silly idea, IMHO.
Just marketing.
AFL can't poach NRL or soccer fans, it's unlikely

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 1:34pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:00pm I do. Tassie should have a team of their own. It should have happened years ago. Before Gold Coast or GWS.

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:00pm But I'm not a fan of a 19 team competition. 19 will have to become 20 very quickly.
Disagree. Winning a flag is hard enough without an extra two clubs in the comp. It's going to be like winning the lottery. My opinion anyway.
Just marketing.
You're thinking short term.
These teams are not designed to win over older rugby or soccer fans. They're designed to get the kids today. Get the teams competitive and the fans will come from the kids. It took Brisbane ages to get the fan base they've got now.

Tassie and NT will be a quicker turnaround as they are already footy fans.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 1:34pm

Just marketing.
Go and have a look at the AusKick numbers for NSW and QLD and then come back to me. You are so wrong it's not funny, it' hilarious. In 20 years time Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast will all have more members than St Kilda.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Sanctorum
Club Player

The Tasmanian government has made it very clear, they will only ever support a stand-alone state team, not some hybrid linked to an existing Melbourne team.

I don't object to another (19th) team entering the national competition and Tassie should have been brought into the comp years ago, unlike the teams in NSW and Qld, AFL is the only football code in Tasmania with wide community support.

It doesn't bother me if the expansion clubs have had a negative impact on St Kilda's chances to win a second premiership (as some suggest), I regard it as far more important for the AFL to be the only football code in the nation to be truly national, and quite enjoy watching all the other 18 teams play. Competition for the marketing dollars between national sporting codes is fierce and the AFL needs to continue to "grow the product" in order to maintain the decisive commercial advantages it has worked so hard to achieve. We need to understand that while we as supporters enjoy the simple pleasures of watching our footy team play, the AFL is predominantly a business, Very Big Business in fact, and so it's decisions have to be based entirely on protecting the bottom line. The Tasmanian government no less will have to come up with a financial package that make a new franchise successful.

Objections to the Tasmanian bid appear to me to be entirely based on self-interest by some of the club presidents. A classic example is the GC Suns, led by boofhead president Tony Cochrane, whose own team has been on constant life-suppport with countless millions of AFL handouts since its inception 13 years ago and for most of that time a basket-case, had the hide to bleat in the media this week that Tasmania would lose $12 million every year that would have to be propped up by the AFL!

What utter hypocrisy.....in the first 7 years alone the AFL spent over $100 million on the GC Suns, "stick that in your pipe and smoke it Tony, what a joke!" :lol: :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
asiu
Saintsational Legend

You can’t believe in the devil without admitting the existence of a ‘god’, what ever that means for people. It’s a polarity.
there's a boy with a clue !!

good work that man

Moiety (is the first people's teach/learn on the subject)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 1:15pm You can’t believe in the devil without admitting the existence of a ‘god’, what ever that means for people. It’s a polarity.
I'm yet to see evidence of the Tasmanian God.
But here's the Devil wearing the home jumper for you...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 1:15pm You can’t believe in the devil without admitting the existence of a ‘god’, what ever that means for people. It’s a polarity.

Tasmania wouldn’t be the worst option if it was forced upon us due to circumstances. Beautiful place.
I believe in neither

But I do believe a move to the home of Darrell Baldock wouldn’t be the end of the world,although some think that’s where it is ,

Many saints fans down there and the saints could make it their own, a beautiful place with hard core afl fans who over the generations would embrace the club

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I have been thinking about Eddie's suggestion and to be honest, if it was available then I think we should take it. Mind you I highly doubt it would be offered by the AFL. It would make a mockery of the competition. Why should one team have 22 home games and the rest have either 10 or 11? It doesn't make sense but whichever team takes the offer would become a power house almost overnight. $20Mill cash, draft concessions for 3 years, the whole of Tasmania would be your academy. Bloody hell...

If it is a real offer and we take it and win multiple premierships as the Tassie Saints, I'd be happy with that. Especially when Moorabbin would still be our home.

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:30pm I have been thinking about Eddie's suggestion and to be honest, if it was available then I think we should take it. Mind you I highly doubt it would be offered by the AFL. It would make a mockery of the competition. Why should one team have 22 home games and the rest have either 10 or 11? It doesn't make sense but whichever team takes the offer would become a power house almost overnight. $20Mill cash, draft concessions for 3 years, the whole of Tasmania would be your academy. Bloody hell...

If it is a real offer and we take it and win multiple premierships as the Tassie Saints, I'd be happy with that. Especially when Moorabbin would still be our home.
It is not a real offer FFS, it's just Eddie blowing his wad. Even the Tassie Premier said it was a bulls*** idea.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 4:32pm

I believe in neither

But I do believe a move to the home of Darrell Baldock wouldn’t be the end of the world,although some think that’s where it is ,

Many saints fans down there and the saints could make it their own, a beautiful place with hard core afl fans who over the generations would embrace the club
End of the world? Yeah, just about IMHO.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:37pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:30pm I have been thinking about Eddie's suggestion and to be honest, if it was available then I think we should take it. Mind you I highly doubt it would be offered by the AFL. It would make a mockery of the competition. Why should one team have 22 home games and the rest have either 10 or 11? It doesn't make sense but whichever team takes the offer would become a power house almost overnight. $20Mill cash, draft concessions for 3 years, the whole of Tasmania would be your academy. Bloody hell...

It is not a real offer FFS, it's just Eddie blowing his wad. Even the Tassie Premier said it was a bulls*** idea.
Do you think the AFL will consider it and make it a real offer?

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:43pm

no.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:45pm

no.
Personally if I was the AFL I would put a one off merger package on the table for any 2 Vic teams that agree to merge.
The incentives would be.....

$100Million up front cash payment.
Able to have any 60 players on the list from the 2 clubs in year 1. The list would then reduce by 1 player each year until they are back at the correct number.
Their salary cap would be double what the other teams have but would reduce by 5% every year until they are back at the correct figure.
One extra FRDP immediately following their own FRDP for the first 5 years.

If the above was up for grabs, would any teams consider it?

NeXus
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:54pm

no.
Personally if I was the AFL I would put a one off merger package on the table for any 2 Vic teams that agree to merge.

Able to have any 60 players on the list from the 2 clubs in year 1. The list would then reduce by 1 player each year until they are back at the correct number.
Their salary cap would be double what the other teams have but would reduce by 5% every year until they are back at the correct figure.

Those gifts will never happen in the AFL.

They might in a fantasy league though.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:59pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 7:54pm

no.

Those gifts will never happen in the AFL.

They might in a fantasy league though.
The AFL have the means and the capacity to offer that package without any problems. It would actually save them money rather than starting a brand new team in Tassie. And then 10 years down the track they could then bring in a third team in WA and SA without any problems.

NeXus
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just merge north with a new tassie team who would wear the north jumper on heritage round and claim their past flags - and that's about it.need a tassie jumper and colours (they can remember north's white via their away shorts) and no kangaroos in tassie so it's the devils. (well ok there is the forester, but its nearly gone down there, and besides - devils eat them, so wholly inappropriate).
in less than a generation north will be forgotten, the few thousand supporters will have kids that will follow some other nelbourne team (so we may increase our membership by 500 odd). Just need to create the tassie team first. give it a couple of frustrating years of a bye and tassie getting whipped and north getting all sunday twilight games and haemorraging money, then bammo - come to the rescue with a 'merger'.
18 teams forever (including the gold coast darwin suns and the greater western sydney act giants.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu
Saintsational Legend

'they' (canberrans) have taken a bit of a shine to GWS actually

the gold coasters look the likely lads for struggle street

darwin suns has a ring to it

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Just remember 1 thing guys, within 20 years Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS will all each have more members than St Kilda

NeXus
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by The Fireman on Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:31pm Just remember 1 thing guys, within 20 years Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS will all each have more members than St Kilda
In 20 years time i'll be so old i probably won't give a rats about that.

And i'll most likely still be hoping the Saints win their 2nd flag before i fall off the perch. :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
asiu
Saintsational Legend

https://seinfeld.fandom.com/wiki/The_Fa ... ainter.jpg

hmmmm

devils colours mr fireman

serious red white 'n black

only st kilda could get away with changing their nick
from the Saints to the Devils

fair faux dinkum

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:36pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:31pm Just remember 1 thing guys, within 20 years Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS will all each have more members than St Kilda
In 20 years time i'll be so old i probably won't give a rats about that.

And i'll most likely still be hoping the Saints win their 2nd flag before i fall off the perch. :shock:
:mrgreen:

NeXus