Was this our best win for the year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Was this our best win for the year?

I would argue that it was.

Playing a GWS (in an almost mini final for them), Toby back and in Canberra. They threw everything against us. In the second quarter many of their better players (Whitfield, Greene Tom et al) were threatening to rip the game away from us

At half time we had already lost Hayes and were about to lose Roma

We played exciting footy in the second half of the third and then… wow what a last quarter fight. GWS threw everything at us but we stood up and toughed it out.

There were 1%ers left right and centre

We set up brilliantly behind the ball and our good players showed the way

All our wins have come in different ways, but to me this showed the most in terms of a potential side to take us into big finals

Our % is now strong and almost now worth a game against the teams outside the 8

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was this our best win for the year?

No, our kicking for goal was very bad and would have been fatal against a better side. We still from oppositions with most of their goals from our turnovers - not their good play.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Splitting hairs I guess because you’re both right

Best performance, absolutely not
Best win, definitely

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Let’s not kid ourselves and pretend that we were playing this years preliminary finalists or Grand finalists?

What will people be saying if GWS get humiliated over the next few weeks?

Yes, their backs were against the wall, but they have been woeful this year apart from a quarter of competitive footy here and there

I think the best win was against Richmond. That’s when I thought we arrived as a team.

The metrics from that game onwards gave me confidence that we are a ready and capable to contend this year

Our leaders are standing up. It looks like there are other players outside the leadership group who are also showing signs of maturity and they’re not afraid to lead out on the ground and the communication has been first rate

I reckon the strongest team we’ve played against was Collingwood (all their senior players and good players performed on the day) and we had our opportunities in that match as well.
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 23 Apr 2022 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 4:04pm Let’s not kid ourselves and pretend that we were playing this years preliminary finalists or Grand finalists?

What will people be saying if GWS get humiliated over the next few weeks?

Yes, their backs were against the wall, but they have been woeful this year apart from a quarter of competitive footy here and there

I think the best win was against Richmond. That’s when I thought we arrived as a team.

The metrics from that game onwards gave me confidence that we are a ready and capable to contend this year

I reckon the strongest team we’ve played against was Collingwood and we had our opportunities in that match as well.
Well, in my view we would have humiliated GWS if Higgins and King could only kick straight. 1 . 7 is shocking. Higgins should have kicked 8.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 23 Apr 2022 4:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

We gutsed it out. Battle was massive.
Excellent win and we're playing as a team.

We should though have kicked something like 17.10 instead of 10.17. That would have made the picture very different and it would have been a comfortable win. Our goal kicking issues need to be addressed.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

GWS have a hugely talented list and they came to play last night and their season was on the line. Their work in close in the first half was really worrying us. In the 2nd half our pressure lifted and the tide turned. If King & Higgins had of kicked straight we would have won by a lot more, but our finishing kept them in the game.

I think it was our best win for the year, as far as we didnt play at 100%, had crucial injuries and we still scrapped out a win.

stkfc1
Club Player

I'd say as far as work rate and will to win, yes it was one of our better wins this year. Reality is, if we'd kicked those early ones GWS wouldn't have been in it for so long and we may have taken the wind out of their sails alot earlier. Our misfiring goal kicking was the only thing keeping them in it. We won't get away with it against the Dees or Geelong in the next few week. Take nothing away from our effort though and GWS probably played one of their better games of the year. We could have easily rolled over but we found a way and full credit to the boys. The good teams find a way to win, even if it's ugly. I'm starting to believe we are a good team.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I was most impressed by the final ten minutes, especially the last five last night.
Kept the pressure on until the very end.
I know you would expect nothing less from professionals, but I just kept expecting GWS might pinch a late goal, and then pick up lucky free in the fwd 50 and we’d get pipped at the post.
Great to see the effort.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Sanctorum
Club Player

Yes and no, what did stand out for me was that when GWS started to gain the ascendancy in the 2nd quarter and with both ruckmen out of action in the 2nd half, the team found another gear and wrested the momentum back. That required massive character because last year in that same situation St Kilda would have folded and been smashed.

Preuss and Flynn won the hit-outs 77 to 19, a whopping 58, yet Giants won clearances by just 10 (46-36), which is a massive tribute to the Saints midfield playing a team bristling with elite talent.

Add to this the fact that a couple of St Kilda's better players had relatively ordinary games: Brad Hill and Tim Membrey were a bit down, wasteful inaccuracy in front of goal by Max King (1.7) and Jack Higgins (4.3), two first-year apprentices, all of which leads me to believe that this 2022 team is the best chance we have of seeing them play deep into the finals.

The only proviso for me is that St Kilda have yet to play the big guns in the comp: Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, but I'm confident that if they lose those games it won't be thrashing. This team unlike previous years plays four quarters of footy and know that they can get back up and win from behind.

Very important stat; after 6 rounds, with 16 more to go, St Kilda need win only 6 or 7 more games to finish in the top 8, how good is that!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Gutsy win but as I said last week just taking 1 week at a time & if we continue that sort of effort we will win more than we lose IMO anyway.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Up in Saints heaven I believe Allan Jeans would have stood up at the final siren, clapped politely and quietly said "Well done laddies". It was that sort of win.

Saint supporter since '62