Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

Seb has always been that player who would be better being the 3rd or 4th bananna, atleast, and I do remember at one stage thinking he might even be 4th to 6th but but after 5 rounds this year I think he's definitely really good for us at 3rd to 4th bananna. I can't remember thinking we should axe him from the list though.

He looks really good behind Steele and Crouch and he looks to be trying to be more attacking with his kicks.

Take a look at that goal, from the moment he gains possession he had nothing but scoring opportunity in his mind and just made it look real classy.

Credit where it's due, Sebby is playing really good footy for us and who cares if its because he finally has the right players around him giving him a chop out, he wouldn't be the first player to benefit from similar circumstances.

When Sebby is playing well the world seems much brighter.

GO THE MIGHTY SAINTERS!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Interesting reaction from his teammates to his goal yesterday. Perhaps it was because it was his first goal for the year. Maybe it was more.

I can remember thinking at half time against Richmond that some of his efforts had been poor and that he really needed to step up - inside- in the second half. He did and his efforts have been 100% ever since.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I am sorry - and I am taking the p!ss
Scollop wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 4:11am All I know is that if the media tell you Seb was best on ground for St Kilda then who are we to argue...right? If Bruce or Lingy or Darcehole or Dwaynepipe or the umpires tell us it’s true... it must be right??
Your proof of this confirmation bias is in the voting thread this week
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 6:47am Btw, I'm giving five votes to the seagull. A stalwart performance in the centre if ever there was one.
Reminder - I am just having a laugh on this Easter Sunday [and I know that Waltzing St Kilda is voting with tongue in cheek

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Most of the bagging of Seb that goes on in here is a response to the fan boy glorification and defending of a player with butt average disposal skills who won 2 B&F'S.
He was rightly rewarded with AA squad selection but was never actually in contention for a spot. They pick 40 so every supporter base stays interested and the player managers get some further leverage.
Rarely is his character or commitment questioned and the whole whipping boy bulls*** comes about because he was our best mid and a great club man and that made him above criticism.
He is in his niche now and as the season goes on you can count on him to keep competing.
KISS Seb, you are a big strong, fit warrior and if you can continue to beat opponents and get the ball into attacking zones and feed the class around you, you may play in a premiership before you retire.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 9:47am Most of the bagging of Seb that goes on in here is a response to the fan boy glorification and defending of a player with butt average disposal skills who won 2 B&F'S.
This

Sometimes I think the agenda:
Umpire Bashing
Umpire Defence
Whipping Boys

are an attempt to make the posters feel relevant rather than to discuss the topic.

Hint: At no stage can any of the above topics be 100% Black and White

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Freebird
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:09am Not in the coaches eyes - B&F and most votes in coaches award
I cannot remember Ross ever being tagged...Other around him have including Steven and Hill but never Ross. Why is that if the coaches are continually voting for him? Coaches genuinely know and tag the danger players that hurt. Ross is not stopping chipping sideways as much as he has in the past. Becoming an offensive asset that has not been as prolific in the past

Killa
Club Player

Quick response.

Currently first 22 IMO pending further junior development (Bytel, Byrnes, Owens et al)

Has pace - in fact he is quite quick including chase downs (a marked improvement in his game).

BUT, he does not have straight line quickness with the ball in hand and does not dispose at pace.

As with the goal yesterday, he needs to wheel onto his left employing a turning circle - or stop still.

This is why you mostly see him, ball in hand, running toward the boundary, not the goals.

Compare him to (say) Jones.

Compare him to (say) Higgins, who can mark overhead.

Further, look at the centre square at the start of a game or the start of a quarter and see who is there.

And look at the wings (in these days of 6/6/6) and see who is there (noting now the presence on Number 7).

That is indicative of Ross's position in our selected 22.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:08pm Quick response.

Currently first 22 IMO pending further junior development (Bytel, Byrnes, Owens et al)

Has pace - in fact he is quite quick including chase downs (a marked improvement in his game).

BUT, he does not have straight line quickness with the ball in hand and does not dispose at pace.

As with the goal yesterday, he needs to wheel onto his left employing a turning circle - or stop still.

This is why you mostly see him, ball in hand, running toward the boundary, not the goals.

Compare him to (say) Jones.

Compare him to (say) Higgins, who can mark overhead.

Further, look at the centre square at the start of a game or the start of a quarter and see who is there.

And look at the wings (in these days of 6/6/6) and see who is there (noting now the presence on Number 7).

That is indicative of Ross's position in our selected 22.
What a load of horse manure, , I can't believe the mods aren't rushing to shut down your dangerous views down as judged by me.

Only joking, good to see you up and about Trigga.

Long live Sebby and his crappy contributions to a winning TEAM!...

GO THE SAINTS!

Killa
Club Player

Vortex, society is in the majority.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Best 22? I think so!

Best 6 in the last three games.

If we stopped the season right now

Where would he sit in the B&F?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A rising tide lifts all boats.

Basically everyone is looking good for us so far this year.

Seb is handy running around with no work being put into him, but who would you pick him ahead of?

Not Steele, Crouch, Gresh, Sinclair, Hill, Jones

I’d take Billings ahead of him too, and NWM and Clark will pass him very soon it looks like.

So he’s in the 7-10 ‘mids’ range at our club IMO.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:40pm Vortex, society is in the majority.
Is that right Sunny.Ernie.

And is this majority self picked?

Or is their a committee who chooses who is in the majority and who are in the minority?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 1:51pm
Killa wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:40pm Vortex, society is in the majority.
Is that right Sunny.Ernie.

And is this majority self picked?

Or is their a committee who chooses who is in the majority and who are in the minority?
T h e r e FFS. :roll: :roll:

Sanctorum
Club Player

One of the highlights for me on this forum is reading the entertaining ongoing debate about Seb Ross, and I'm really impressed with the contributions by Skeptic and Scollop, so much first rate research to validate their assessments of a player who attracts so many passionate and polarised comments.

I can't think of any one recently retired or current player that I actually really hate or get worked up about - OK, I've expressed my dislike for a recent captain a few times but I never hated him as such, just considered he was ordinary when I hold the view that team captains should lead by example, but that's another story.

Seb Ross??? I'm in Skeptics' and Scollops' camp to the extent that I have always regarded his game as only ordinary, certainly never an impact player despite all the high possession stats he often accumulates, and a player that I doubt has ever been rated in the list of top 50 players in the AFL - which I reckon means that he would have trouble getting a game in the top teams in the comp. A club B&F in 2017 and 2018, yes, but in seasons where the team had just 11 and 9 wins respectively, and in teams with mostly ordinary players.

That's not to say that he's a bad player and I readily agree that 2022 has so far seen Ross play better than I have ever seen him do - ever, and that's great.

On another thread about team changes for Round 6 there is speculation about Zak Jones becoming available, and if selected, at whose expense. I've stated a case for Seb Ross to be the unlucky one, mainly on the basis that I am vey much in favour of getting as many games as possible into the new recruits and with Nasiah Wangeneen-Milera improving every week he won't be dropped, and Marcus Windhager has shown enough promise in the last 2 games to indicate that he is going to be a bloody good player for St Kilda, so I say "Out with the old and In with the new".

Not that I expect many will agree with me, nor do I believe the selectors will either, but I hope they do....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 5:11pm One of the highlights for me on this forum is reading the entertaining ongoing debate about Seb Ross, and I'm really impressed with the contributions by Skeptic and Scollop, so much first rate research to validate their assessments of a player who attracts so many passionate and polarised comments.

I can't think of any one recently retired or current player that I actually really hate or get worked up about - OK, I've expressed my dislike for a recent captain a few times but I never hated him as such, just considered he was ordinary when I hold the view that team captains should lead by example, but that's another story.

Seb Ross??? I'm in Skeptics' and Scollops' camp to the extent that I have always regarded his game as only ordinary, certainly never an impact player despite all the high possession stats he often accumulates, and a player that I doubt has ever been rated in the list of top 50 players in the AFL - which I reckon means that he would have trouble getting a game in the top teams in the comp. A club B&F in 2017 and 2018, yes, but in seasons where the team had just 11 and 9 wins respectively, and in teams with mostly ordinary players.

That's not to say that he's a bad player and I readily agree that 2022 has so far seen Ross play better than I have ever seen him do - ever, and that's great.

On another thread about team changes for Round 6 there is speculation about Zak Jones becoming available, and if selected, at whose expense. I've stated a case for Seb Ross to be the unlucky one, mainly on the basis that I am vey much in favour of getting as many games as possible into the new recruits and with Nasiah Wangeneen-Milera improving every week he won't be dropped, and Marcus Windhager has shown enough promise in the last 2 games to indicate that he is going to be a bloody good player for St Kilda, so I say "Out with the old and In with the new".

Not that I expect many will agree with me, nor do I believe the selectors will either, but I hope they do....
Not a chance in hell mate, :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

NFI

Some of the ignorant s*** written on here, is exactly why I defend Ross.

If you’re s***, you don’t achieve- he’s achieved plenty.

I reckon it’s disrespectful to downplay a Saints achievement to push a uninformed and clueless agenda. Dickheads on here actually want Seb to play poorly to suit their biased commentary. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Not in the best 22?!

But has been in the best 6 three games in a row?

HTF does that work?

The guy has played 160 odd AFL games … you don’t get to do that if you’re not a good footballer, you certainly don’t get 43 Brownlow votes if you have no impact, as some moron suggested?!

Then the Jarryn Geary clip, a warrior who is universally respected has 4 top 4 B&F finishes and played over 200 games. For a period Geary was one of the best lockdown defenders in the AFL. Possibly the most courageous saint I’ve seen, and voted in for 5 years as a StK Captain.

Glad people on here aren’t running the show, and people with some clue are!!!

Both will go down in history as outstanding servants, loyal to the core and deserve some fkn respect

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me that this has been a pretty complimentary thread

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:03pm NFI

I reckon it’s disrespectful to downplay a Saints achievement to push a uninformed and clueless agenda. Dickheads on here actually want Seb to play poorly to suit their biased commentary. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Not in the best 22?!

HTF does that work?

The guy has played 160 odd AFL games … you don’t get to do that if you’re not a good footballer, you certainly don’t get 43 Brownlow votes if you have no impact, as some moron suggested?!

Then the Jarryn Geary clip, a warrior who is universally respected has 4 top 4 B&F finishes and played over 200 games. For a period Geary was one of the best lockdown defenders in the AFL. Possibly the most courageous saint I’ve seen, and voted in for 5 years as a StK Captain.

Both will go down in history as outstanding servants, loyal to the core and deserve some fkn respect
Lol. Im glad Seb is a bit thicker skinned than you BM. He might have snotted Ratten and Rath when they analysed his output against his efficiency and told him to swim between the flags and put Steele in the wheelhouse. Great bit of development by the guys running the show, I reckon. Now he finds himself on the lower rungs of the mids ladder and has really taken on board some new direction and is utilising his skills more appropriately. He'll be fine for another couple of years.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 7:03pm NFI

Not in the best 22?!

HTF does that work?

Lol. Im glad Seb is a bit thicker skinned than you BM. He might have snotted Ratten and Rath when they analysed his output against his efficiency and told him to swim between the flags and put Steele in the wheelhouse. Great bit of development by the guys running the show, I reckon. Now he finds himself on the lower rungs of the mids ladder and has really taken on board some new direction and is utilising his skills more appropriately. He'll be fine for another couple of years.

Killa
Club Player

The answer to the question of where Ross sits in 2022 is simple

At the start of a game you have your premier ruckman and your premier mids in the centre square

Ditto each quarter commencement

Plus you have your premier wings on the centre square paint

So, answer me this

What numbers do the players canvased in the foregoing carry?

Because there is your answer

It has been pleasing to see Number 17 in the centre square over the last 2 weeks - albeit not at game and quarter commencements

And Number 7 on a wing

Mind you some on here say St Kilda can not develop their youth

And our List management is poor

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How the f*** do you know what Ratten has ever said to Seb

You have no idea

And it seems to be about a good number of things

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Let’s not start getting nasty now

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 12:50pm Best 22? I think so!

Best 6 in the last three games.

If we stopped the season right now

Where would he sit in the B&F?
I’ll have a go…

I’d have these guys definitely ahead of Seb

Sinclair
Gresham
Steele
King
Higgins
Hill
McKenzie
Membrey

I’d have Seb equal with guys like Crouch, Wilkie, and Battle.

So yeah,,..Seb could possibly sneak into 9th or 10th in the Trevor Barker at this stage

Obviously he is best 22. He’s having an impact and he’s contributing. He’s a role model and a leader. The op was all about how well he is playing this year. I looked at each post in the thread. No one said he’s not best 22

I posted several times in 2017/2018 that I believed possession numbers were over rated and people needed to start thinking a little more about their votes. Journos have admitted that they do summaries and give votes for best on ground based on stats and some of these people voting for media awards have admitted they don’t even watch the full game!!

I quoted Jack Steele’s efforts from July 2017 which was a match against Freo, in a very…very long post in this thread. Even though Seb was probably voted best on ground by most ‘judges’ I think it’s important to look at who are your most influential players.

In that match, a young Gresh had good goal assists and inside 50’s. Better than Seb. I think Jack Steven and Koby Stevens hurt Freo more. Who creates opportunities for turnovers with their tackling (remember Jack Steele had 17 tackles) Who’s getting the clearances and who is the dominant tap ruckman? Longer monstered a young Sean Darcy so Ross was definitely getting it fed on a platter but how did he use it? Who hit their targets and who was involved in our scoring chains.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 17 Apr 2022 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 9:10pm How the f*** do you know what Ratten has ever said to Seb

You have no idea

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/14/ ... eficiency/

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 10:25pm
B.M wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 9:10pm How the f*** do you know what Ratten has ever said to Seb

You have no idea

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/14/ ... eficiency/
Get you parents to read that to you.