Changes v Suns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Suns

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 13 Apr 2022 4:50pm
samuraisaint wrote: Wed 13 Apr 2022 12:31pm We tried playing blokes based on height last year several times actually more than several times, and it ended in tears every time.

If you mean McKernan he was cooked when he arrived. At at 196 he was for a ruckman not tall.

If you mean Hunter he was a bad call and simply not up to it.

Our recruiters have made many good calls in recent years, but those two players were not a good call.

Campbell is no star but he is a lot more capable than either of those two players.
Hayes looks very good, but against true tall rucks he is going to be a problem in ruck contests. He mainly needs to ruck against other fill in rucks. Chol is a bit better than a fill in ruck.
I would be ok with either choice, but there are pros and cons to each.

Campbell may be the tick is Marshall is not 100% fit.
I'll have to take your word for it. He is a St Kilda player now so if he plays I'll be cheering him on.

Looking at the opposition I am interested in getting a look at Rankine live - I don't think I've seen him play live before ( unless he played against us the last time we played the Suns in Melbourne back in 2018 in which case he left no imprerssion on me in that game).

The other one is Alex Davies from Cairns. Both of those players share a Japanese heritage I believe, like our very own Mitch Owens.
I have been very impressed with Rankine when I have watched him play against us on TV. Davies is more similar to Owens as he is very tall for a person of Japanese descent.

I suspect this one will be close - I think us by about 7 points.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 13 Apr 2022 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Long's pressure in the forward half may keep him in- forward pressure has been a big contributor to our last two wins.

Saintmike65
Club Player

The equation has become simple…in Higgins and Hayes for Ryder and Webster.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Wed 13 Apr 2022 6:26pm Long's pressure in the forward half may keep him in- forward pressure has been a big contributor to our last two wins.
I'm a Long supporter & he may not have the numbers on the stat sheet but his pressure & speed have produced a real positive outcome for the team as whole IMO anyway so I hope he stays in the team .

Sanctorum
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 13 Apr 2022 8:16pm
spert wrote: Wed 13 Apr 2022 6:26pm Long's pressure in the forward half may keep him in- forward pressure has been a big contributor to our last two wins.
I'm a Long supporter & he may not have the numbers on the stat sheet but his pressure & speed have produced a real positive outcome for the team as whole IMO anyway so I hope he stays in the team .
I like Long too, he's one of the few St Kilda players that has genuine mongrel in him and it looked to me on Sunday that he has worked out how to apply pressure without transgressing the rules, which has been a problem in the past. Not only does he tackle aggressively but he's got a bit of pace and now in his 7th season he may well have a break out year. He's due....

Prefer to see Long in attack rather than defence and I'd even throw Long into the midfield, give his opponents something to worry about in the contest for the ball.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Higgins for Long

Hayes for Paddy.

Ben Medi sub.

Shows strength of list.

Hawthorn can only dream.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Surely if jones is not in this week than it is confirmation he is serving an illicit substance ban. There hasn’t been a single update on his situation and to my understanding he is training and attending all team meetings.

StPeter
Club Player

Webster out now covid protocols.

How many more by Saturday?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 1:23am Webster out now covid protocols.

How many more by Saturday?
I said
Hey st peter
Before you ring your bell
Just been down to new York town
Done my time in hell.......

In red white and black from 73
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

With Webster out I wonder if they will consider keeping Long in the side and moving him back.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 10:42am With Webster out I wonder if they will consider keeping Long in the side and moving him back.
I hope not. Up front is his only position where errors aren't necessarily fatal but his pressure is valuable.

stkfc1
Club Player

You'd think Highmore comes in for Webster. Higgins in for one of the kids. NVM most likely to give Windy a run at it. NVM unllucky but its early days. Long stays in for mine. His pressure has been excellent and more importantly, disciplined. Hayes for Paddy. Geez I hope we can keep Witts honest. He's in terrific form and we can't afford for him to be dominating the middle. It's really does make you wonder if MC was given a little tap on the shoulder from those above him,with the Saints playing the AFLs bastard love children teams up next. 🤔

older saint
SS Life Member

Working on LIke for like which is a good policy (IMO) and been used with Joyce coming in for Howard

- Hayes for Ryder
- Highmore for Webster
- Higgins for Hill (if inj) or Long( unlucky but like for like and Higgins better small forward)

The only time Long should end up in the backline again is if he walks the wrong way at the start of the game!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

older saint wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 11:01am Working on LIke for like which is a good policy (IMO) and been used with Joyce coming in for Howard

- Hayes for Ryder
- Highmore for Webster
- Higgins for Hill (if inj) or Long( unlucky but like for like and Higgins better small forward)

The only time Long should end up in the backline again is if he walks the wrong way at the start of the game!
I agree with this except I would have Campbell rather than Hayes.
Campbell can compete in the ruck with Witts whereas Hayes can't and would force Marshall into a first ruck role.
Marshall is a great forward/second ruck but not a good first ruck, Hayes is also a forward/second Ruck.
Campbell can play first ruck and allow Marshall to play his best game.

older saint
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 11:47am
older saint wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 11:01am Working on LIke for like which is a good policy (IMO) and been used with Joyce coming in for Howard

- Hayes for Ryder
- Highmore for Webster

I agree with this except I would have Campbell rather than Hayes.
Campbell can compete in the ruck with Witts whereas Hayes can't and would force Marshall into a first ruck role.
Marshall is a great forward/second ruck but not a good first ruck, Hayes is also a forward/second Ruck.
Campbell can play first ruck and allow Marshall to play his best game.
Funny i meant to put Hayes/Campbell in initial post for that exact reason.
Probably expect Marshall to be Ruckman 1 which he has been good at at times. Long term needs more time as primary ruck. Reminds me a little of McEvoy whose ruck work improved as he got older ( at Hawthorn ARGHH) , but good mark , athletic and Marshall a better forward resting.
Not sure if Campbell flexible enough but can definatley see the argument