Special Message to Curly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Re: Special Message to Curly

meher baba wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 2:40pm I have been reluctant to get involved in the debate about the free kick against Hayes last week.

However, as I saw it, the player was brought to ground with his arms completely pinned, which is always a dangerous tackle (albeit nothing bad happened on this occasion), and certainly should be against the rules. And indeed, I thought that umpires had been directed to stamp this sort of tackle out of the game.

Sure, the commentators thought it was a dud decision. So what: the commentators often get it wrong.

Anyway, I’ve said it now: anyone who wants can have a go at me.

saint6709
Club Player

There’s some weird stuff going on on this forum - I don’t really know the curly agenda other than he gets pissed when the frees for and against are bad - which unfortunately is most weeks

I’m pretty sure most recent years back him up re the stats of our ‘frees for’

Does he think there’s an afl conspiracy against us ? Maybe - I’ve not read all the posts so don’t know - I’ve only seen him complaining re specific games so not sure whether or not he is a conspiracy theorist - so as devil’s advocate will assume he is not

So I’m not sure why anyone would have a go at him because the Dogs had a ridiculous’for and against’ the other night or on a night when we get the VERY RARE rub of the green in our favour ???

I was just saying to my son tonight that because we are so used to getting on the wrong side of the ledger we are constantly analyzing the decisions when the night goes our way - West coast, Dogs etc only think about it when the unthinkable happens and they are not well up on the nights free kick count

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 7:55pm Not often we appear,to get the rub of the green. What were the frees for and against stats?
27 ...19

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Just curious
If the free kick against Hayes last week for a dangerous tackle was correct, then where was the free kick for a dangerous tackle on Jack Higgins which resulted in him being subbed out of the game?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 10:44pm Just curious
If the free kick against Hayes last week for a dangerous tackle was correct, then where was the free kick for a dangerous tackle on Jack Higgins which resulted in him being subbed out of the game?
The very definition of "sling" I would have thought.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts too.

Saints58
Club Player

Richmond have been hacking forwards and holding leading players for years its just that finally umps paid it that is why the Richmond supports are annoyed they are not getting away with the holding of jumpers impeding the guy leading to the ball and pushing guys off the ball and in the ruck yesterday.
Good job umps thank goodness no razor ray we would have only got a handful of frees he hats us.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:41am
My thoughts too.
LOL - Over to The_Dud

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 4:05pm
My thoughts too.
LOL - Over to The_Dud
He doesn't know s*** from sugar if you ask me.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If we had the game umpired like it was yesterday v Collingwood we win by a few goals. Amazing that people still think umpires don't influence games.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

After last night, we can clearly conclude that the umps must hate Brisbane even more than they hate St Kilda. :D

BTW, the incident last night indicates once again how the umpires don't do themselves any favours with their stupid culture of trying to become pally with the players. The outburst by Andrews should have led to a 50 metre penalty to Geelong from the centre bounce, or at least a warning about his behaviour. Instead, the ump tried to talk man on man to Andrews, producing an utterly unconvincing explanation of what supposedly happened.

He'd have done better simply to say: "I'm sorry, but I didn't see any push." Which was the truth. Like many other full forwards, Hawkins has learnt that, if all the umps are a reasonable distance away and his direct opponent is screening him from their view, he might get away with a last minute push in the back. And, of course, defenders also sometimes use the same situation to their advantage, by stumbling forward after minimal or no contact to try to make it look as if they were pushed. Personally, I'd rather the umps always called what they saw - even if this means that forwards are going to be able to get away with the occasional push - rather than try to deduce illegal contact that they haven't clearly observed.

Umpires are going to get these decisions wrong from time to time, and it's no use umpires trying to concoct stupid explanations about players holding their ground, etc, etc.

So, to sum up, I think the ump made the right call last night, but then let himself down in a stupid conversation with the player. The less umps talk to the players the better, IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The decision was the wrong decision every day of the week. Scott would still be squealing in the press conference if it happened against Geelong.

You make a good point about umpire positioning which lends to a theory that 3 central umpires do not work and perhaps boundary & goal umpires should intervene when a central umpire has their view impeded. Offers a 360 degree view & less guessing.

Agree, umpires should not speak to players. Why open their mouths and confirm they guessed or got it wrong.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:32pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 4:05pm
My thoughts too.
LOL - Over to The_Dud
He doesn't know s*** from sugar if you ask me.
Did you say something Stinger?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:37pm If we had the game umpired like it was yesterday v Collingwood we win by a few goals. Amazing that people still think umpires don't influence games.
So are you agreeing the only reason we beat Richmond is because the umps cheated for us?

Why would they all of a sudden cheat for us in direct contrast to the AFL backed umpiring conspiracy against us??

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

And the year 7 logics teacher wept.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 8:22am After last night, we can clearly conclude that the umps must hate Brisbane even more than they hate St Kilda. :D

BTW, the incident last night indicates once again how the umpires don't do themselves any favours with their stupid culture of trying to become pally with the players. The outburst by Andrews should have led to a 50 metre penalty to Geelong from the centre bounce, or at least a warning about his behaviour. Instead, the ump tried to talk man on man to Andrews, producing an utterly unconvincing explanation of what supposedly happened.

He'd have done better simply to say: "I'm sorry, but I didn't see any push." Which was the truth. Like many other full forwards, Hawkins has learnt that, if all the umps are a reasonable distance away and his direct opponent is screening him from their view, he might get away with a last minute push in the back. And, of course, defenders also sometimes use the same situation to their advantage, by stumbling forward after minimal or no contact to try to make it look as if they were pushed. Personally, I'd rather the umps always called what they saw - even if this means that forwards are going to be able to get away with the occasional push - rather than try to deduce illegal contact that they haven't clearly observed.

Umpires are going to get these decisions wrong from time to time, and it's no use umpires trying to concoct stupid explanations about players holding their ground, etc, etc.

So, to sum up, I think the ump made the right call last night, but then let himself down in a stupid conversation with the player. The less umps talk to the players the better, IMO.
Good post, clearly a howler of a decision.
Agree Andrew’s should have been penalized in accordance with the new rule.

The fact he was not probably means the umpire knew he had missed a shocker.

Funny part of this for me is that if it was a Saint not a Lion on the receiving end it would be referred as blatant cheating 😂

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Woeful mistake by the umpire

Not the only howler by that umpire. And all his poor decisions went one way

Crowd pleaser

Dodgy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 11:08am Woeful mistake by the umpire

Crowd pleaser

Dodgy
Yep, the maggots got the home team over the line. Surprised no one.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... f28d2c6c5d

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 10:49am And the year 7 logics teacher wept.
And the crowd wept

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 11:04am
Funny part of this for me is that if it was a Saint not a Lion on the receiving end it would be referred as blatant cheating 😂
No - the funny part is that this argument rages on the Forum and both camps believe in Absolutes

The One - 100% Umpires are infallible
The Other - 100% Umpires Cheat

The Grey area tells us that umpires can be incompetent and under perform and can raise the ire of supporters - by possibly changing the outcome of a game that should have been put to rest.

― Aristophanes

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 11:08am Woeful mistake by the umpire

Crowd pleaser

Dodgy
Where’s the governance for our sport? Can a club take it outside the AFL?

If an official complaint is lodged about an umpire that may have been compromised or someone who seems to be dodgy and perhaps there is tangible evidence or suspicious circumstances or links to people connected to a particular club…how is it followed up?

Can you appeal the AFL’s internal integrity commission (if and when they launch any official investigations) and…

Does Australia have a government body that can investigate corruption in sport?

….edit. I googled a few things and came up with quite a few links that refer to Sport Integrity Australia, including the recent Wood Review which was claimed to be the most comprehensive examination of sports integrity arrangements ever undertaken in Australia… I wonder if they have any teeth

https://www.health.gov.au/contacts/spor ... -australia

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:30pm
No - the funny part is that this argument rages on the Forum and both camps believe in Absolutes

The Grey area tells us that umpires can be incompetent and under perform and can raise the ire of supporters - by possibly changing the outcome of a game that should have been put to rest.
I’d love to see you point out anyone claiming the umps are infallible SD.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 2:37pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:30pm

I’d love to see you point out anyone claiming the umps are infallible SD.
LOL @ The Dud - maybe it is just the Vibe - but at least you are not trying to get rid of players who are the heart and soul of St Kilda

― Aristophanes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 9:47am
CURLY wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:37pm If we had the game umpired like it was yesterday v Collingwood we win by a few goals. Amazing that people still think umpires don't influence games.
So are you agreeing the only reason we beat Richmond is because the umps cheated for us?

Why would they all of a sudden cheat for us in direct contrast to the AFL backed umpiring conspiracy against us??

We got a good run first for a long long time.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Razor Ray was looking at breaking records for frees to the home side tonight. He definitely broke the back of GWS and any chance they may have had on hostile territory. Freo were getting all the frees in that last quarter.

I think Freo ended up with 42 frees and GWS only 16. Freo got the last 6 goals of the game and won it by 34

What these little yellow phlegm don’t realise is that there are clubs competing with Freo for a spot in the finals and the last 10 minutes of that game helped Freo bang on extra percentage.