Caro’s arrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Caro’s arrow

spert wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 4:02pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 3:02pm Are there any other clubs that make the monumental stuff up decisions that we do?
Give me a while, I need to think about that one...nothing comes to mind immediately.
its all about the for/against columns - you just need to have more in the "fors"

But with the McEvoy trade - what sits in memory was the way the club went about it
correct me (?) but wasnt he on holidays and got a message via phone?

Seeya
Killa
Club Player

All Clubs, with the benefit of hind sight, can be criticised

Drafting is not an exact science

St Kilda drafted Riewoldt and Ball, both of whom failed to play a game in their first years - so was there criticism then?

Or of Ball, who by any measure was not at the same levels as Judd and Hodge, both Judd and Hodge elite and Ball, at best a GOP finally bid farewell by Lyon because he could not contribute to spread and attack?

Simply when McEvoy was traded his form at St Kilda was very poor, resulting in him being dropped to the VFL, surpassed by Hickey at the time

Then came Longer

And the rest is history, Hickey now at Sydney with Mc Cartin

Adelaide lost their high Draft Pick, Dangerfield, to Geelong

West Coast lost Judd to Carlton

Essendon lost Wanganeen to Port Adelaide along with Ryder

So it is not just St Kilda

It is the AFL

Where would St Kilda be without Membrey, Steele and others we have recruited from other Clubs

So swings and roundabouts

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 30 Mar 2022 3:48pm
spert wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 4:02pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 3:02pm Are there any other clubs that make the monumental stuff up decisions that we do?
Give me a while, I need to think about that one...nothing comes to mind immediately.
its all about the for/against columns - you just need to have more in the "fors"

But with the McEvoy trade - what sits in memory was the way the club went about it
correct me (?) but wasnt he on holidays and got a message via phone?
Yep. f****** disgusting IMHO. At one stage we regarded him as a future captain.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 31 Mar 2022 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 30 Mar 2022 1:10pm
B.M wrote: Wed 30 Mar 2022 11:49am
How does the senior coach improve a ruckman?
Utilise them better.
Maybe at that time we had players whinging too much and looking for scapegoats and looking to divide the playing group and certain senior leaders thinking that their opportunity to win a premiership and their time in the game was more important than the young recruits who had just arrived at the club. It would be interesting to get an insiders view of how the senior players rated Ben at that time

What we need at St Kilda is a culture and a leadership group that supports and encourages every player to get better. We need the captain and leaders to create an environment where young players feel like they belong. We need players to let the development staff and the coaches do the coaching and the players focus on their job of becoming a successful team

The players need a coach who is unambiguously the top dog. The coach makes the rules and everyone needs to abide by those rules. The coach also needs to let the players know that it’s his decision (and his decision alone) whether a player is worthy of selection or not