Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for next week

Just put Hayes in the middle and let him go where ever he sees fit. Small’s can feed off him and the opposition can worry about tagging him. He is big, clever, flexible, fit, strong and mobile. Thank goodness he appears to be able to handle the step up.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Owens Windy Connolly Battle

Ryder is to go to CHB after bounce as the 7th to intercept and rucks the back half
Marshall stays deep but rucks the forward half.
Hayes drifts fwd or back but plays as required and plays as a marking target from defence or blocks and intercepts oppositional rebound from defence, moving deep when Marshall comes out.
King just runs continuous lanes from the goal square to true CHF and the flanks.
Sinclair and Gresham rotate from the forward line.
Hill and NWM sweep from the backline and push forward through the middle.
Ross and Crouch rotate with Steele and follow the play relentlessly. Ross blocks/tags, Crouch goes in under.
Steele leaps tall buildings in a single bound, goes forward for Membrey to cover Ryder as the 7th.

The coach needs to stop depending on defending and set up structure to attack, much like the 3rd quarter last week, when Sinclair and Hayes got going.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 1:12pm Just put Hayes in the middle and let him go where ever he sees fit. Small’s can feed off him and the opposition can worry about tagging him. He is big, clever, flexible, fit, strong and mobile. Thank goodness he appears to be able to handle the step up.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Ryder is to go to CHB after bounce as the 7th to intercept and rucks the back half
Hayes drifts fwd or back but plays as required and plays as a marking target from defence or blocks and intercepts oppositional rebound from defence, moving deep when Marshall comes out.
King just runs continuous lanes from the goal square to true CHF and the flanks.
Ross and Crouch rotate with Steele and follow the play relentlessly. Ross blocks/tags, Crouch goes in under.
Steele leaps tall buildings in a single bound, goes forward for Membrey to cover Ryder as the 7th.

The coach needs to stop depending on defending and set up structure to attack, much like the 3rd quarter last week, when Sinclair and Hayes got going.
Selecting NWM over the next month would be akin to selecting Ownens for R1. No more skinny under sized kids until our season is officially over.

After Hayes first game I think Paddy now needs to be viewed again as the backup player he was originally bought to the club. If Hayes keeps playing like he did on Friday and RoMa is in the team then Paddy has to sit it out.

wally
Club Player

I reckon I would play Hayes at CHF he showed he can take a mark and could take some load off Membrey and King. Rest Butler and Kent

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 11:56am
st.byron wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:48am [quote=lloyd21 post_id=<a href="tel:1942896">1942896</a> time=<a href="tel:1647733108">1647733108</a> user_id=21611]
With absolute respect Sharman was 1st month of this pre season was the guy they put a lot of work in this year with King.

Then it all changed they were playing him at half back in match simulation, with some ruck work.

Wood being used as a wingman …another square peg in round hole last month , similar to the fixation of Battle on a wing
last year…

Bolt from the blue with Kent selection, Long trained really hard this summer in great shape, mysterious team
selection …plaguing team ..

Bytel had a great summer until calf tweaked 3 weeks ago…

Highmore got severe cork …but right now ..

Clark & Jones absence huge loss …Hannebery will play VFL this week , in great shape on modified program until
calf tweak..

Really concerned with the way we played on weekend & selection …not the way we’ve trained on moving the ball
Thanks for the update lloyd. Any idea why they decided to throw Sharman to half back???? Why would you do that?
And why is there such a gulf between the way they train and play? And selection.....who the f*** knows. Baffling.

Love Ratts as human being but a bit confused on approach..I attend training nearly every week.

Last year continually played Battle deep forward throughout the week at training match simulation then when selected for game played on the wing had little or no idea how to play position, just ran up and down the line.
Lost complete confidence..

New fitness guy Walsh is a beauty ..

Sharman to me early pre season would play significant role as lead up forward , then tactical deep option worked for hours
with Roughead & King ..this year ..then all of sudden it changed with the Wood on the wing experiment going back
to 3 small forwards ..as season got closer totally mystifying.

Absolutely shocked at Kent selection
Absolutely shocked when Ratts has mentioned Geary’s name in presser post loss as possible future inclusion.

Really think Jones & Clark out hurts us a lot.

Hopefully things are rectified soon , because if not Ratts will come under pressure.
[/quote]

Your obsessions from training are very concerning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 1:50pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 1:12pm Just put Hayes in the middle and let him go where ever he sees fit. Small’s can feed off him and the opposition can worry about tagging him. He is big, clever, flexible, fit, strong and mobile. Thank goodness he appears to be able to handle the step up.

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Selecting NWM over the next month would be akin to selecting Ownens for R1. No more skinny under sized kids until our season is officially over.

After Hayes first game I think Paddy now needs to be viewed again as the backup player he was originally bought to the club. If Hayes keeps playing like he did on Friday and RoMa is in the team then Paddy has to sit it out.
You will be proven wrong by NWM when he gets his chance and as the last game’s sub, his chance is coming sooner rather than later. From what I heard from Ratten, one can only imagine Owens role was to be a defensive one. Stop that s*** now. Let’s the kids play to their strength. The defend and harass at all costs has got in there heads. Get the fastest and most skilled players on the ground and attack. Connolly has been injured I think and may need time so go with NAS
Im prepared to lose Byrnes for Wood but NWM should get a go now. We know he will do well in the VFL, but he won’t muscle up or gain weight any time soo. It’s his natural body shape and he has played with men enough to have a crack. He is a catch me if you can artists, has the awareness and will have to get used to the attention.
If Paddy is fit he should play. If he isn’t, he won’t. I’m not sure why you think he would be back up, he should ruck the centre bounces and reduce his workload down to creating a wall at CHB, reading the line of attack coming at him and repelling it with one touch skills and a more than effective from no where leap. 70% game time will do.
Sharman comes in and Membrey spends time in defence. Wood rotates through the mid/field wing and goes forward for Membrey to go back.
If Hayes keeps playing like he did, he will have little effect in centre bounces, put him on the defensive side of the ruck as the centre and set him to attack mode.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:48am [quote=lloyd21 post_id=<a href="tel:1942896">1942896</a> time=<a href="tel:1647733108">1647733108</a> user_id=21611]
With absolute respect Sharman was 1st month of this pre season was the guy they put a lot of work in this year with King.

Then it all changed they were playing him at half back in match simulation, with some ruck work.

Wood being used as a wingman …another square peg in round hole last month , similar to the fixation of Battle on a wing
last year…

Bolt from the blue with Kent selection, Long trained really hard this summer in great shape, mysterious team

Clark & Jones absence huge loss …Hannebery will play VFL this week , in great shape on modified program until
calf tweak..

Really concerned with the way we played on weekend & selection …not the way we’ve trained on moving the ball
Thanks for the update lloyd. Any idea why they decided to throw Sharman to half back???? Why would you do that?
And why is there such a gulf between the way they train and play? And selection.....who the f*** knows. Baffling.

Love Ratts as human being but a bit confused on approach..I attend training nearly every week.

Last year continually played Battle deep forward throughout the week at training match simulation then when selected for game played on the wing had little or no idea how to play position, just ran up and down the line.

Sharman to me early pre season would play significant role as lead up forward , then tactical deep option worked for hours
with Roughead & King ..this year ..then all of sudden it changed with the Wood on the wing experiment going back

Absolutely shocked when Ratts has mentioned Geary’s name in presser post loss as possible future inclusion.

Hopefully things are rectified soon , because if not Ratts will come under pressure.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. Had a strong feeling that you knew what you were talking about.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 2:31pm

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

You will be proven wrong by NWM when he gets his chance and as the last game’s sub, his chance is coming sooner rather than later. From what I heard from Ratten, one can only imagine Owens role was to be a defensive one. Stop that s*** now. Let’s the kids play to their strength. The defend and harass at all costs has got in there heads. Get the fastest and most skilled players on the ground and attack. Connolly has been injured I think and may need time so go with NAS
Im prepared to lose Byrnes for Wood but NWM should get a go now. We know he will do well in the VFL, but he won’t muscle up or gain weight any time soo. It’s his natural body shape and he has played with men enough to have a crack. He is a catch me if you can artists, has the awareness and will have to get used to the attention.
If Paddy is fit he should play. If he isn’t, he won’t. I’m not sure why you think he would be back up, he should ruck the centre bounces and reduce his workload down to creating a wall at CHB, reading the line of attack coming at him and repelling it with one touch skills and a more than effective from no where leap. 70% game time will do.
Sharman comes in and Membrey spends time in defence. Wood rotates through the mid/field wing and goes forward for Membrey to go back.
If Hayes keeps playing like he did, he will have little effect in centre bounces, put him on the defensive side of the ruck as the centre and set him to attack mode.
Maybe and happy to be wrong if NWM comes in and has a first game like Hayes but I'm thinking the next 4 weeks are against sides that didn't make the 8 last season and so experimentation and development should only start after our season is over. Long should take Owens spot this week hopefully Geary comes in for Kent. We need to play all the available players who have proven AFL performances for the first month.

If at the end of the next 3 to 4 weeks our fringe players like Long and Geary prove they can no longer play at AFL level then bring in the kids.

It has to be about winning for the first 4 to 6 weeks.

If Hayes quickly turns into a Ruck for our future and consistently puts in performances like he did on Friday night then Paddy has to be relegated to back up status immediately. Paddy is not expected to play a full season, I think I heard 14 games is part of the plan for his final season? Hardly an endorsement for keeping out a player who might just be the ruckman we've desperately been searching for, and even better if he helps us wins games like he nearly single handedly did in his first game. Can Paddy, Hayes and RoMa all play in the same team?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 3:00pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 2:31pm

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Maybe and happy to be wrong if NWM comes in and has a first game like Hayes but I'm thinking the next 4 weeks are against sides that didn't make the 8 last season and so experimentation and development should only start after our season is over. Long should take Owens spot this week hopefully Geary comes in for Kent. We need to play all the available players who have proven AFL performances for the first month.

If at the end of the next 3 to 4 weeks our fringe players like Long and Geary prove they can no longer play at AFL level then bring in the kids.

It has to be about winning for the first 4 to 6 weeks.

If Hayes quickly turns into a Ruck for our future and consistently puts in performances like he did on Friday night then Paddy has to be relegated to back up status immediately. Paddy is not expected to play a full season, I think I heard 14 games is part of the plan for his final season? Hardly an endorsement for keeping out a player who might just be the ruckman we've desperately been searching for, and even better if he helps us wins games like he nearly single handedly did in his first game. Can Paddy, Hayes and RoMa all play in the same team?
I understand what you are saying but either long or Geary not both. Long for mine, and in Byrnes place in my team would be fine.
For get about this guy for that guy, play players in there best position or don’t play them. Experimentation has been forced on us. Marshall was an experiment. Highmore an experiment, Wilkie, Battle is Frankenstein, Sharman practicing half back and the ruck, Sinclair fwd, mid, back and mid again. Years ago he was getting pushed around, now he is a beast.
Pace, skill and being able to read the play. Just focus on possessing and holding onto the ball. Take your forwards to the ball and structure support and run around them. Teams are flooding our forward line because we let them.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ryder straight back in with Jones. Hannebery in if fit. Long and Sharman in.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Drop Ryder for Hayes… lol

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saint6709
Club Player

Kent, owens, Byrnes out
Sharman, long & ? In

Long has lost confidence due to tribunal treatment which I think has bern harsh - saints need to tell him to play his natural game - even if he is just adding pressure and tackling he’s better than Kent

saint6709
Club Player

Kent, owens, Byrnes out
Sharman, long & ? In

Long has lost confidence due to tribunal treatment which I think has bern harsh - saints need to tell him to play his natural game - even if he is just adding pressure and tackling he’s better than Kent

Gershwin
Club Player

I would like to see Owens given another game. He is an important part of our future and little will be gained by dropping him. Play him off the bench.

Out: Kent, Butler
In: Ryder/Sharman, NWM

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As others have noted we have hardly any players who probably can come in for this game.

Long can. But do we need 3 small forwards? We only really need 2.
Kent should be an out, and he really was given Billings spot and there is no one likely to be able to come in to directly cover the role that Billings would play. So Long it may well be.

Highmore a possibility, but we do we need another tallish back?

OUR MIDFIELD IS THE MOST URGENT NEED BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bytel would be an obvious in as a genuine mid. But is he fully fit?

NWM could be a direct swap for Owens. Though Owens was meant to be an inside mid. In space on the wing NWM could have an easier time of it than Owens in the heat of the engine room.

Jones we are desperate for due to his pace and aggression.

So at present Sinclair needs to be moved to the midfield rotations for the whole game. The same for Gresham.

Byrnes was terrible.

Not sure they would rush Ryder back given the two long flights. Though Paddy does have family in WA.

Sharman? Not sure he will apply any forward pressure, but he would be more value than playing 3 small forwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS: Unfortunately Freo may well get back both Fyfe and Darcy for our game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 5:20pm I would like to see Owens given another game. He is an important part of our future and little will be gained by dropping him. Play him off the bench.

In: Ryder/Sharman, NWM
He showed some poise in the latter stages of the game and he showed he had the fitness. I’d like to see Owen and Byrnes get games. Having said that, I’d like to see Bytel get games too.

In: Long, Sharman

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:15am I'm going to have a second go at this, I decided that we need to inject some class into the midfield:-

IN - Sharman, Highmore, Wanganeen-Milera, Bytel
OUT - Kent, Owens, Byrnes, Battle
Really good call like it
I was weighing up Battle too and think we need, even this early, NWM class by foot (if he only gets it 5 times 4 will hit a target and he’s still ahead of Kent)

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 5:40pm As others have noted we have hardly any players who probably can come in for this game.

Long can. But do we need 3 small forwards? We only really need 2.
Kent should be an out, and he really was given Billings spot and there is no one likely to be able to come in to directly cover the role that Billings would play. So Long it may well be.

Highmore a possibility, but we do we need another tallish back?

OUR MIDFIELD IS THE MOST URGENT NEED BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bytel would be an obvious in as a genuine mid. But is he fully fit?

NWM could be a direct swap for Owens. Though Owens was meant to be an inside mid. In space on the wing NWM could have an easier time of it than Owens in the heat of the engine room.

Jones we are desperate for due to his pace and aggression.

So at present Sinclair needs to be moved to the midfield rotations for the whole game. The same for Gresham.

Byrnes was terrible.

Not sure they would rush Ryder back given the two long flights. Though Paddy does have family in WA.

Sharman? Not sure he will apply any forward pressure, but he would be more value than playing 3 small forwards.
Sincs into the middle a just - at least we won a clearance. I know Highmore not a direct replacement but if you fix the mid issues perhaps you take some pressure off defence and let Highmore intercept

What forward pressure do we lose dropping Kent adding Sharman? I’d argue he might mark the ball and kick a few and that’s the best pressure you can put on up forward…

Butler is very close to out IF we had a replacement…we don’t

“Yeah….nah””
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Paton Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Hill
McKenzie Hayes NWM
Ryder Steele Sinclair
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins

Ross Crouch Byrnes Wood

Even if Ryder is ready I would not bring him straight back in and run the risk of him breaking down again. Let him play a half in the Sandy practice match and see how he goes. I would drop Kent, Byrnes and Owens and bring in Sharman, Bytel and Long. I would ask Long to take Paton's spot in the back line and play Paton in the midfield. Bytel plays in the midfield and Sharman alternates with Hayes at CHF and giving Marshall a chop out in the ruck.

Do I think Ratts will do this? Hell No!!! He will come up with some other crap but after Freo smash us by 60 points the jungle drums will start beating until his inevitable sacking later in the year!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

last year…

calf tweak..

[/quote]
And so he should with those ridiculous sections. Kent out and Sharman in as a forward. Plus the other 2 I mentioned in the OP (if available)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Kent, Butler & Byrnes out all were even by our standards woeful. Go back to Sandy & give us a reason for you to be considered again . Ins well that will all depends on who is available so difficult to say but I'm going with Long ,Bytel & Sharman

footynut
Club Player

There needs to be changes as we did not play well as a team. We need targets going forward, players who want the ball & aren't afraid to take the game on.

Paton Howard Wilke
Hill Battle Webster
Mason Gresham NWM
Membrey Hayes Butler
Higgins King Marshall
*Ryder Steele Sinclair
Int: McKenzie Crouch Ross Sharman

If Ryder's still injured bring in Byrnes or Lienert

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Butler Howard Wilkie
Webster Highmore Paton
Hill Crouch Wood
Gresham Hayes Membrey
Higgins King Sharman

Marshall Steele Sinclair

Ross Owens Long McKenzie

OUT: Battle, Kent Byrnes
# Give Owens another run
# Try Butler down back, it did wonders for Sincs, some pace out of the back half
# Highmore for Battle, he can intercept mark and provides more than Battle who looks lost

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Owens should get more opportunities - guarantee him the first four games.

Battle was as poor as I have seen him and disorganised the defence. Lienert in.

Byrnes deserves another go. So Butler out NMW in.

Freo have a few monsters, so bring ours, Campbell, in. Wood, although okish, might have to go.

Sharman for Kent.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

What Ratts will do is drop Kent for Geary

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus