Over the Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Over the Hill

He’s no good on the wing or at half back. Week in, week out he gets played like a bass fiddle by opposition teams. If he hasn’t improved and we find ourselves out of contention early in the season, we may as well send him down to Sandy for the rest of the year and get some experience into NWM instead.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Over the Hill

Sainternist wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:15pm He’s no good on the wing or at half back. Week in, week out he gets played like a bass fiddle by opposition teams. If he hasn’t improved and we find ourselves out of contention early in the season, we may as well send him down to Sandy for the rest of the year and get some experience into NWM instead.
Was good on Friday with a defensive forward on him.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:18pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:15pm He’s no good on the wing or at half back. Week in, week out he gets played like a bass fiddle by opposition teams. If he hasn’t improved and we find ourselves out of contention early in the season, we may as well send him down to Sandy for the rest of the year and get some experience into NWM instead.
How was he good? He kept running into brick walls and coughing the ball up!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:21pm
Hit some really good targets. Some of the handballs he received were suicide balls.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s nonsense to blame Hill.
Listen to Buckley on SEN this morning.
Our strategy of telling players to use him is pathetic - and obvious.

One thing I am confident of

Most skilled player in the team
Incredibly agile and zippy
Hands like glue
Lovely boot

Shooting Hill is suicide and childish

But please coaches - make a game plan!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hill is one of the few in the side with real skill

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:42pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:21pm
Hit some really good targets. Some of the handballs he received were suicide balls.
I’m somewhat inclined to agree
He wore a hard tag and the opposition corralled and played into our need to pass through him and sprung the trap on him a few times.

Regardless he worked hard and backed up. Got to contest after contest.

IMO you could not possibly attribute what happened on Friday to Hill. Like everyone else he had a rough first half but ended up with 26 disposals for the match and consistently took the game on.

Nowhere near the dropping conversation IMO

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The problem isn't Hill, it's our inability to set ourselves up to exploit his strength. There is some bewildering field positioning at times by our players. It's a play it safe mentality rather than a positive, attacking one. Too many statues, so when Hill runs with the ball our other players stand back and watch rather than move into position to do the one-two with him

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:56pm I think it’s nonsense to blame Hill.
Listen to Buckley on SEN this morning.
Our strategy of telling players to use him is pathetic - and obvious.

One thing I am confident of

Most skilled player in the team
Incredibly agile and zippy
Hands like glue
Lovely boot

Shooting Hill is suicide and childish

But please coaches - make a game plan!!
I agree - but when our defence is under the pump he simply doesnt have the game to put enough contested pressure on. Its true his run and skills are second to none, and the give it to Hill mantra is absolute bs. Having said that how long can we rely on his team mates to do the grunt work in defence. He simply has to be moved back to a wing and told to work his arse off.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO it's blatantly obvious our mid field is the problem sure we have injuries to key players but we need to find a way to make it better & soon.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 6:11pm IMO it's blatantly obvious our mid field is the problem sure we have injuries to key players but we need to find a way to make it better & soon.
Maybe we should think about moving him into the midfield?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Had some really good touches, but at the same time had some terrible turnovers that cost us.

Also needs to stop running passed and calling for the ball when he’s got nowhere to go.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 6:29pm Had some really good touches, but at the same time had some terrible turnovers that cost us.

Also needs to stop running passed and calling for the ball when he’s got nowhere to go.
He is running toward space, the timing of the handballs could be better, just look and wait til he breaks. Good players get this. How is he supposed to break lines without breaking past a line.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Harsh. Bradley had plenty of team mates willing to stand back and watch him get the ball but not willing to be a target for him to hand-off his hard won possessions.

Saint supporter since '62
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He is also prepared to set up the one-two but too many players just seem too ready to pass the buck and not back up.
Surely they practice this.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 6:25pm
bangaulegend wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 6:11pm IMO it's blatantly obvious our mid field is the problem sure we have injuries to key players but we need to find a way to make it better & soon.
Maybe we should think about moving him into the midfield?

Nah mate never gunna happen doesn't like contested ball & that's fine you need different folks for different strokes. He is an outside runner with good disposal & loads of endurance that's why we recruited him can't say it's been a big win for us yet but compared to Hanna's he's been pretty good IMO

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I would go further than this and say we need to trade him out. Even if we are still paying 50% of his wage (and provided we got a second round pick), I would be more than happy. Between him and Hannas, they have f***ed up our salary cap for years and we have essentially thrown away valuable picks for nothing.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 6:58pm Harsh. Bradley had plenty of team mates willing to stand back and watch him get the ball but not willing to be a target for him to hand-off his hard won possessions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hill gets his ‘hard won possessions’ with a handball receive from a team mate!!

I know it’s not easy to keep constantly presenting and gut running to break the lines but how many hard ball gets did Brad win and how many contested possessions
CURLY wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 4:42pm
The coach has instructed players to ‘give it to Bradley’. Hill is chasing possessions and building stat numbers. He’s not alone there of course. We have a fair few selfish players. They are not playing as a team

Hill just needs to take a step back and not demand the footy when there is direct heat close by. Perhaps the coaching instruction needs to change…once again it’s a whole of team issue…other Saints players in the back half need to be a bit more attacking and the mids need to work harder to provide options

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

His game had some issues against Collingwood but he did a lot more good work than most of the team. Not an area of concern for me right now. I'm more concerned with the amount of spuds in the team who can't get the ball or hit a target.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps my criticism of Hill is harsh, but he is now in his third season with the club and we are yet to utilise him properly into a game plan, rendering him close to being an ineffective player.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 21 Mar 2022 10:36pm
I would go further than this and say we need to trade him out. Even if we are still paying 50% of his wage (and provided we got a second round pick), I would be more than happy. Between him and Hannas, they have f***ed up our salary cap for years and we have essentially thrown away valuable picks for nothing.
17 posts, most of them crap. I for one am hoping for some improvement and soon.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We are all disappointed and frustrated...
To blame Hill is rubbish.

He is the most skillful player in the team hands down. (King hands up)

We lack skill. It isn't something we have a lot of.

Hannas didn't cost the club because we were forced to spend the allotment - like a public service department that must replace it's fleet of cars and ends up buying a useless car washing machine for them, in order to maintain its budget. In fact we bought a tram, with no rails.

I think Hill would kill it at the Gold Coast all the same.

We are in a heap at the moment. Imagine what the honchos are thinking now? Scratching their heads...I think our team plan isn't working. Can they re-invent now?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
lewdogs
Club Player

Why does Hill cop it after every loss? It's just weird.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:48am
We are in a heap at the moment. Imagine what the honchos are thinking now? Scratching their heads...I think our team plan isn't working. Can they re-invent now?
A good coach has a plan b up their sleeve.

CarlD
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:52am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:48am
A good coach has a plan b up their sleeve.
I'm not seeing a plan A yet let alone any others :(