Paddy McCartin a Swan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin a Swan

Honestly speaking, (clears throat) , was Paddy ever that promising anyway? Concussions aside? I thought the verdict among us here was that, he was not that great.

He always looked a bit fat and I don’t know if he was fast. He certainly could leap and crash a pack open…like a bulldozer. Reminded me of Kossie but not as good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a couple of ordinary years up there and then becomes a consultant in footy.

Wish him the best but there was nothing saying ‘star’ about him - or was there?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 2:45pm Honestly speaking, (clears throat) , was Paddy ever that promising anyway? Concussions aside? I thought the verdict among us here was that, he was not that great.

He always looked a bit fat and I don’t know if he was fast. He certainly could leap and crash a pack open…like a bulldozer. Reminded me of Kossie but not as good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a couple of ordinary years up there and then becomes a consultant in footy.

He was a no 1 draft pick. That must mean he had some ability.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:20pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 2:45pm Honestly speaking, (clears throat) , was Paddy ever that promising anyway? Concussions aside? I thought the verdict among us here was that, he was not that great.

He was a no 1 draft pick. That must mean he had some ability.
Was only number 1 because St Kilda made a mistake.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints pick Petracca. Dees follow up with Mc Cartin

Always going to be pick 1 or 2. FFS.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 06 Feb 2022 9:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:43pm Saints pick Petracca. Dees follow up with Mc Cartin

Also going to be pick 1 or 2. FFS.
I don’t think Melbourne would have taken him.
They had given up a lot the previous year to get Jesse Hogan so didn’t need anther key forward.
They wanted Petracca and Brayshaw

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:48pm
saynta wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:43pm Saints pick Petracca. Dees follow up with Mc Cartin

They had given up a lot the previous year to get Jesse Hogan so didn’t need anther key forward.
Petracca wasn't an instant hit either by the sounds. Took him a couple of seasons to get cracking.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 5:47pm
Mr Magic wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 3:48pm

Petracca wasn't an instant hit either by the sounds. Took him a couple of seasons to get cracking.
He was as "instant" as anyone else from that draft, give or take a knee reconstruction.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I’d be surprised if he gets to play another game of AFL football. Stick a fork in him, he’s done. Given his history of concussion, it only seems ill advised that he’s playing on. But heck, if he can prove us naysayers wrong, I’ll tip my hat to him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is looking good for round 1 selection apparently.

Looking fitter and leaner than at any stage of his career and hasn't missed a beat over the pre season.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If paddy blitzes it will be like a double whammy cluster f%#% for us

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 7:13pm Paddy is looking good for round 1 selection apparently.

Looking fitter and leaner than at any stage of his career and hasn't missed a beat over the pre season.
If Paddy is looking lean and fit while gorging on hamburgers when at the Saints, it doesn't say much for our man management.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I watched about 10 seconds of the Sydney practice match last week and it was Paddy crashing a pack from the side with reckless abandon. The man just needs to stop being a human self-wrecking ball.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He took a great mark against Hawthorn that time. In Tassie wasnt it?

More concerned he will knock himself out again. Its gonna happen. You know it is.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lewdogs
Club Player

I remember meeting someone that billeted St Kilda players and had lovely things to say about all of them but according to them Paddy was an absolute tool of the highest order, extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

Unfortunately he also loved to smash beers and thought he could act like Plugger in the 90s.

I have no doubt that the head collisions have been a huge learning curve for him as a person and he will be much more mature and disciplined now. But the fact that we selected him because of his supposed outstanding character speaks volumes of the idiots we had working for us at the time.

As for his time at th swans I hope it works out for him because he has been through hell and deserves a bit of good luck.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him, but I think if he makes it to 50 AFL matches, which is another 15 games, it will be a miracle.

I wish him all the best.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he's playing in the baclline which is a really smart gamble. Totally change the way he attacks the ball.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 10:42pm Apparently he's playing in the baclline which is a really smart gamble. Totally change the way he attacks the ball.
One more head knock and that will probably be it for his career. Paddy should have given it away instead of exposing himself to incurable brain damage.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 7:45am
Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 10:42pm Apparently he's playing in the baclline which is a really smart gamble. Totally change the way he attacks the ball.
One more head knock and that will probably be it for his career. Paddy should have given it away instead of exposing himself to incurable brain damage.
Possibly but it's obviously a risk of his own personal choice and the Swans seem to be ok with that. It's a win-win for both parties because at the end of the day he's still a number 1 draft pick the Swans have picked up for next to nothing and Paddy gets another opportunity at AFL.

What's not to love about this story.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 9:28pm I remember meeting someone that billeted St Kilda players and had lovely things to say about all of them but according to them Paddy was an absolute tool of the highest order, extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

Unfortunately he also loved to smash beers and thought he could act like Plugger in the 90s.

I have no doubt that the head collisions have been a huge learning curve for him as a person and he will be much more mature and disciplined now. But the fact that we selected him because of his supposed outstanding character speaks volumes of the idiots we had working for us at the time.

As for his time at th swans I hope it works out for him because he has been through hell and deserves a bit of good luck.
Absolute garbage. Paddy has not worked out but none of what you said is true.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 8:38am
lewdogs wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 9:28pm I remember meeting someone that billeted St Kilda players and had lovely things to say about all of them but according to them Paddy was an absolute tool of the highest order, extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

I thought it was unnecessary also.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Swans fans seem to rate his chances quite highly.

Playing in defense.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Sounded like bulls*** to me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Sounded like bulls*** to me too. Not a bit like Paddy.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'd love if Paddy played in the backline against us.

Who's he going to beat? King? Membrey? Marshall?

Yes please.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 1:08pm I'd love if Paddy played in the backline against us.

Who's he going to beat? King? Membrey? Marshall?

Yes please.
How do you think Wilkie would go against King, Membrey, Marshall?

Cos that’s the kind of player I’d expect him to be. A chunkier version, somewhat like Battle but with a leap.

He could be quite a CHB if - and if, he truly has sharpened up and is fitter, much fitter than he was with us. Very strong and while he didn’t hold a lot of those marks, neither did his opponent.

I think it must be essential not to ‘fall over and be wrong footed’ in addition to reading the play. I thought he could read the play in the limited number of times I saw him.