Battle setting up camp in defence.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Battle setting up camp in defence.

from saints.com.au:

Up forward, down back or in-between the arcs: that’s the question that’s continually surrounded Josh Battle for the past few seasons.

Whether it’s as a powerful link-up forward with a dead-eye kick and sweeping presence higher up the ground, a sturdy backman with an abundance of courage or a hard-running wingman that can go both ways, the debate rages on – both internally and externally – as to where he’s best suited.
It’s been the narrative for a number of years now, with the multipurpose Saint – dubbed as Brett Ratten’s “swingman” – spending time in all areas of the ground, yet never truly finding home in the one position.

In 2022, however, Battle is setting up camp in the defensive end, complementing the likes of key defenders Dougal Howard and Callum Wilkie in the club’s retuned backline.
“Playing down back is the plan.
I think it’s been good to home in on the one position this year and focus on a key back role,” Battle told saints.com.au.
“At the end of last year, Ratts said we’ll work out what’s best for you, what’s best for the team and we’ll try and get you down playing in the backline.
“I’ve been playing a bit of everywhere the last few years. Ratts sort of said to stick to one position (this year), so it’s been good to play down there and line up on Tim Membrey, Max King and all these different types each week. You learn a lot and I really like the challenge.”

Battle is a natural forward having caught the eye of recruiters in that position while coming up the ranks at Haileybury College, but his unexpected relocation to the defensive half in the absences of key backs Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle in 2019 unearthed another side to his game.
A bloody, battered and bandaged-up Battle tearing back with the flight to take a match-winning mark in the dying seconds against Fremantle in Round 21 of that year still serves as a vivid reminder of what he’s capable of on the last line of defence.

The 23-year-old is also one of the best endurance runners at the club having been a regular top finisher the past few pre-season time trials, hence the allure to play him along the wing.
From his 28 matches across 2020/21, excluding two where he was an unused medical sub, Battle was played as a forward for 12 matches (including three as a relief ruck/forward), eight as a utility with multiple roles at either end of the ground and a further eight as a pure defender. The Saints’ lengthy injury list last year only emphasised the importance of his flexibility.

But knuckling down a consistent role in the side hasn’t been a smooth process, through both injury and other factors.

The arrival of mid-season rookie Cooper Sharman – who kicked 10 goals in just four matches – to the scene has also put the squeeze on spots up forward, while the defensive niche initially carved out has been filled by the unforeseen impact of Callum Wilkie, acquisition of Dougal Howard and rejuvenation of Jimmy Webster.

“It was a little bit (of a challenge) with so many different roles that you’ve got to know, but now it’s good to just keep it simple, go out there and just enjoy it,” Battle said.
“That’s what I’ve been doing and I’m having a fair bit of fun.”

That’s not to say the boots are hung up when it comes to being St Kilda’s swingman. Battle will remain one of Ratten’s go-to men if the Saints need to switch things around on game-day, but the backline is firming as his mainstay for the year ahead.

The No. 26 has been working closely alongside Assistant Coach Corey Enright this pre-season to elevate his defensive nous, closely analysing vision in one-on-one sessions before integrating other members of the back unit.

With Nick Coffield ruled out for the season with a season-ending ACL injury, Battle’s inclusion shapes as an important asset for the Saints looking ahead to the upcoming season.

Battle is unfortunately no stranger to injury. Fractured eye sockets, broken cheekbones, concussions and foot soreness have either cut short or minimised his time on-field over the past three years, with a bone stress injury in his left ankle the most recent – and most significant – setback.
The young Saint missed the last eight games of Season 2021 and then was forced to sit out the start of the 2022 pre-season as a result of the debilitating injury.

This pre-season build-up has been different to what Battle has become accustomed to, with regular blocks of swimming and bike sessions helping him regain his strength and increase his aerobic capacity while off-legs.

Now fit and firing, Battle is pushing to become a regular feature in red, white and black, albeit with tough competition for spots through the respective emergence of Tom Highmore and Jack Sinclair, the redeployment of Bradley Hill, plus the impending returns of Ben Paton and Jarryn Geary.

“Last year was really frustrating. I didn’t realise how much of a long-term injury it was,” Battle said.
“I thought once I had surgery I’d be able to get back on the horse pretty quick, but it was nearly a six month injury… it was a bit of a pain.
“It’s good to be finally back out there and the feet are going well at the moment, touch wood, so hopefully I’m all sweet for 2022.”

summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Battle setting up camp in defence.

Lock him in for CHB. I think Wilkie will play deeper in defence alongside Howard.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Good move, I think that’s where he’s played his best footy so far.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mmmff ...pppff... fluff....fairy floss piece from club propaganda outsource company that sells toffee apples at my school fete.

Club has released similar dribble about the might and indispensability of players like Luke Dunstan and Jack Lonie...

Not worth the paper it is written on.

Hang on,..I pop it in Google Translate, 'We are considering all offers for Josh Battle, including mid-season' 'Please ignore Super Coach https://aflsupercoach.com/player/josh-battle

rating : D
'Should not be on your radar'
Supercoach Context

Josh Battle is pretty average when it comes to supercoach. Josh Battle may post a decent score from time to time, but will mostly hover around the pretty forgettable score zone. Selecting Josh Battle will likely lead to copping some sub 60 scores during the season.

Verdict: overrated

OK...fellas...calm down!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 6:54pm Mmmff ...pppff... fluff....fairy floss piece from club propaganda outsource company that sells toffee apples at my school fete.

Club has released similar dribble about the might and indispensability of players like Luke Dunstan and Jack Lonie...

Hang on,..I pop it in Google Translate, 'We are considering all offers for Josh Battle, including mid-season' 'Please ignore Super Coach https://aflsupercoach.com/player/josh-battle

Supercoach Context

Josh Battle is pretty average when it comes to supercoach. Josh Battle may post a decent score from time to time, but will mostly hover around the pretty forgettable score zone. Selecting Josh Battle will likely lead to copping some sub 60 scores during the season.

OK...fellas...calm down!
Terrible negative post mate. Come on. you are better than that.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 6:54pm Mmmff ...pppff... fluff....fairy floss piece from club propaganda outsource company that sells toffee apples at my school fete.

Supercoach Context

OK...fellas...calm down!
Had a bad day?
I thought it was good article. Most on here have wanted to see him settled in a position for 2022.
We are a bit undersized there but have some very good users and alot of run

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
George27
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 6:47pm Good move, I think that’s where he’s played his best footy so far.
Agree - and it is good to give him ( and us ! ) some certainty about his role for the season. This move also makes the loss of Coffield more manageable .

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was a predictable move.

Can Battle play deep? I’d like to see Howard freed up a bit.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 8:26pm

Supercoach Context

OK...fellas...calm down!
Had a bad day?
I thought it was good article. Most on here have wanted to see him settled in a position for 2022.
Yes, I know...of course I like Josh...and of course etc.

But really spin. That is really spin.
And I know I was being cynical..
But something is in my craw about the whole Battle and Centr-half back situation.

When I saw mentioning Carlisle etc. I mean a guy wiyth Carlisle's abilitites, there is no comparison..

JOsh has a had a mediocre couple of years. He isn't a leaper, or twister or dodger. He's a bull that can run like a deisel..
Maybe he can do it..Let's hope so.

he certainly isn't a great option based on track record, but let's see.

Shaggy
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 9:57pm

Supercoach Context

OK...fellas...calm down!
Had a bad day?

But something is in my craw about the whole Battle and Centr-half back situation.

When I saw mentioning Carlisle etc. I mean a guy wiyth Carlisle's abilitites, there is no comparison..

JOsh has a had a mediocre couple of years. He isn't a leaper, or twister or dodger. He's a bull that can run like a deisel..

Unfortunately you are not a good listener.

You strike me as someone who simply cannot relate or emphasise with the club and players, injuries and mistakes.

There is nothing easier than life as an expat so I am not sure why you have your attitude.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 10:40pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 9:57pm

Supercoach Context

OK...fellas...calm down!
Had a bad day?

Unfortunately you are not a good listener.

You strike me as someone who simply cannot relate or emphasise with the club and players, injuries and mistakes.

There is nothing easier than life as an expat so I am not sure why you have your attitude.
Got issues.
I’ll give ya that.
I dunno about the expat thing.

And lack of empathy ..yes, I am in the role of twisted supporter here…Can St Kilda be competitive?
How are we gonna be competitive if we think about good blokes and all that?

I mean this is what struck me about how easily we let Nathan Brown go…mid season…mid contract…when he was paid on contract to be a back up !,
And so when Carlisle walked we had no back up…
And everybody said, ‘Yeah, well, Nathan is a great bloke and a fine servant’. So he can walk…and we lost that final.

Now I argue, we cannot be nice if we want to win games against teams that are not nice.

We need to win…

Will St Kilda improve?
Will we be more competitive?
If Josh wins the Brownlow I will be proud.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

You can’t force someone to work tho, no matter industry you’re in! If they walk they break their contract but what are you going to do?

Re battle folks here have often felt his lack of development and form has been down to not having a fixed position. The ‘swing man’ role did not suit him

Sounds like they’re fixing that matter at the club so let’s see if having a defined position and role down back helps him

We all know he can play. He’s a massive unit, has real strength and kicks and marks the ball well.

I still hold some hope he could get to a solid B grade type defender. Maybe better? I’d say the D grade from SuperCoach is harsh but fair. Most here would have had him higher but we tend to overrate our own

#1 Ryder fan
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me the criticism of Josh chooses to ignore the effect of his injuries. He has had several serious debilitating ones on top of each other.

He played wing in a couple of '21 games where we were hopeless and I don't think had much of a chance to show what he can offer there.

One of Josh's best games, I think, was as CHF stopping the run/impact of that terrific GWS CHB Nick Hayes - from memory he also kicked a terrific snap goal from way out at a crucial time. Showed real class and discipline.

A fit Josh is a great asset and he has genuine versatility; important when things are not going to plan.

Agree with Shane the article was a sugary puff piece but if all the articles about the Saints players were warts and all exposes I am not sure I could handle that. (Better: lie to me sweetly).

Good news is it appears he is going to be given a set role. We need another defender with his attributes. Can't he clunk a mark and hurt in a tackle. Yes, when fit.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I hope Battle can make himself into a good long-term CHB, but it's up to him to put the effort in to own that position. This is the year he needs to take a step up.

Gershwin
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 9:46am I hope Battle can make himself into a good long-term CHB, but it's up to him to put the effort in to own that position. This is the year he needs to take a step up.
You are right, but he will always be competing against players taller than him and he doesn’t have a great vertical leap. His elite endurance running will be less important also.
It will be a big challenge for him.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As a tall its hard to make a position yours when each week you are thrown all over the place. Ratts did him a disservice moving him away from CHB after 2019 when he was just finding his feet. But I guess we still had Carlilse crabbing around at that time. People forget as far as key position players go he is still young 23 yo (plus he has had a number of injuries to deal with), Im confident he will excel at CHB given time.

What sets him apart from other tall defenders on our list is his aggressive nature and willingness for the contest. You cant train that into players and Battle has it in spades, which makes the players around him walk a bit taller. Battle is also has a beautiful and attacking kick and can really set up play with his kicking and run down back.

The other option is Tom Highmore who is 6 months older than Battle and is more of a quiet achiever. I think he is probably a better overhead mark than Battle but he doesnt have the other aspects of his game that Battle has. Tom's kicking is reliable, but he has a slow loopy kicking style which gives the opposition a look at his kicks. As a result he tends not to take the dangerous kicks and is often forced into short chip kicks. Highmore is still developing as is Battle so I think either could make a good fist of the CHB position.

When you look across the competion players dont have to be 200cms tall to make excellent defenders eg Rampe, May, Grimes, Hurley, Wilkie, Tom McCartin, Trent McKenzie. Height and size does help but so does desperation, game sense and smarts, so its not everything.

Ultimately what I would like to see would be Wilkie moved up to a HBF to take on the Coffield role as an intereptor and generate run from behind. Then Highmore to the BP to play on the resting ruckman/3rd tall opposition. Then Hill back to a wing where his lack of a defensive game is not so exposed, but I dont think thats where Ratts sees Hill playing.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 11:50am As a tall its hard to make a position yours when each week you are thrown all over the place. Ratts did him a disservice moving him away from CHB after 2019 when he was just finding his feet. But I guess we still had Carlilse crabbing around at that time. People forget as far as key position players go he is still young 23 yo (plus he has had a number of injuries to deal with), Im confident he will excel at CHB given time.

What sets him apart from other tall defenders on our list is his aggressive nature and willingness for the contest. You cant train that into players and Battle has it in spades, which makes the players around him walk a bit taller. Battle is also has a beautiful and attacking kick and can really set up play with his kicking and run down back.

The other option is Tom Highmore who is 6 months older than Battle and is more of a quiet achiever. I think he is probably a better overhead mark than Battle but he doesnt have the other aspects of his game that Battle has. Tom's kicking is reliable, but he has a slow loopy kicking style which gives the opposition a look at his kicks. As a result he tends not to take the dangerous kicks and is often forced into short chip kicks. Highmore is still developing as is Battle so I think either could make a good fist of the CHB position.

When you look across the competion players dont have to be 200cms tall to make excellent defenders eg Rampe, May, Grimes, Hurley, Wilkie, Tom McCartin, Trent McKenzie. Height and size does help but so does desperation, game sense and smarts, so its not everything.

Ultimately what I would like to see would be Wilkie moved up to a HBF to take on the Coffield role as an intereptor and generate run from behind. Then Highmore to the BP to play on the resting ruckman/3rd tall opposition. Then Hill back to a wing where his lack of a defensive game is not so exposed, but I dont think thats where Ratts sees Hill playing.
That's a great info-bio about HIghmore and Battle..I hadn't been aware of Highmore's slow looping kicking...I didn't think Battle was agile or slippery in contests but I ama aware that he has a tank and is a lovely kick. Now could you tell us about another guy I have wondered about..rather enignmatic...I call him Hymnmie the Robot from get Smart, but i refer to the Rev. Mr. Jarragh Re-Joyce. What are his attributes and his liabilities?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 12:57pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 11:50am As a tall its hard to make a position yours when each week you are thrown all over the place. Ratts did him a disservice moving him away from CHB after 2019 when he was just finding his feet. But I guess we still had Carlilse crabbing around at that time. People forget as far as key position players go he is still young 23 yo (plus he has had a number of injuries to deal with), Im confident he will excel at CHB given time.

That's a great info-bio about HIghmore and Battle..I hadn't been aware of Highmore's slow looping kicking...I didn't think Battle was agile or slippery in contests but I ama aware that he has a tank and is a lovely kick. Now could you tell us about another guy I have wondered about..rather enignmatic...I call him Hymnmie the Robot from get Smart, but i refer to the Rev. Mr. Jarragh Re-Joyce. What are his attributes and his liabilities?
I didnt say Battle was agile but he is not as bad as people have suggested and definitely attacks contests with aggression, particularly when in defence. He was very much a straight line leading at the ball player when in attack, which I think people branded him from . But he is a different player in defence as he is dictated by his opponent.

You are right about Joyce he plays like he has been programmed. He has the physical tools and obvious mental toughness, but I wonder if he will ever develop a natural feel for the game and play with any confidence? His kicking is just average but again he always takes the safe option, which I gather he is encouraged to do. He is 195cms so is the perfect size and apparently he has been doing well playing on King in the intra club matches. When he is forced to play higher up the field his opponents tend to get space on him. So he is perhaps more suited to a FB role than CHB.

If I was coaching him I would encourage him to bring more aggression and niggle to his game (in the Matty Scarlett mould). I feel he is the type of player who would play with more confidence when in his opponents face and make them more worried about him. Then he might start playing with the belief required?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 1:27pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 12:57pm

I didnt say Battle was agile but he is not as bad as people have suggested and definitely attacks contests with aggression, particularly when in defence. He was very much a straight line leading at the ball player when in attack, which I think people branded him from . But he is a different player in defence as he is dictated by his opponent.

You are right about Joyce he plays like he has been programmed. He has the physical tools and obvious mental toughness, but I wonder if he will ever develop a natural feel for the game and play with any confidence? His kicking is just average but again he always takes the safe option, which I gather he is encouraged to do. He is 195cms so is the perfect size and apparently he has been doing well playing on King in the intra club matches. When he is forced to play higher up the field his opponents tend to get space on him. So he is perhaps more suited to a FB role than CHB.

If I was coaching him I would encourage him to bring more aggression and niggle to his game (in the Matty Scarlett mould). I feel he is the type of player who would play with more confidence when in his opponents face and make them more worried about him. Then he might start playing with the belief required?
The Hymie reference is as much for the physical resemblance (the 1964 JFK Quarter-Back appearance), but yes, I gather his 'economical' disposal patterns are based on algorthims he hes been trained with. IF he can harness his instincts into a more creative role perhaps? ..perhaps? who knows? He certainly has the presence and the muscle. I saw him stand like a statue while being pole-axed in the goal square. Can he run?

We certainly are short of one KPP after Carlisle went. Carlise was never 100% in his last few years..and you always wondered in his first few - for different reasons- but what talent! He had great sense of position on the field itself, plus great poise and time, and finger tip touch..a really beauty until the back went. Mind, some of these types shine when we are getting a hiding because our midline is invisible (as opposed to midfield) ..we seem to have no cente-barrier. We need an old-fashioned centremen...an enforcer.. Mayve Battle would suit that..but I am really speaking out of my ass now, because it seems that team structures don't care about such ideas nowadays or If they can fit springs into footy boots that allow Battle to jump, then CHB for sure ?

minneapolis
Club Player

Is he a bit like Grant Thomas at CHB?

If I remember correctly, Grant went OK at CHB, but not brilliant.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Thomo played well enough to play for Victoria at CHB!

PADDLEPOP1000
older saint
SS Life Member

Howard gets biggest forward, Wilkie gets next/ most dangerous forward , Battle get high marking forward

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Wed 16 Feb 2022 1:28pm Howard gets biggest forward, Wilkie gets next/ most dangerous forward , Battle get high marking forward
OK team...

Just say we face Richmond.

Check it out... Our Full Back walks nicely into this trio: Shai Bolton Tom Lynch Dustin Martin

?????????????????????? Does anyone know if the spare wheel has air in it? ????????????????????????