Saints looking to fill Coffields list position

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saints looking to fill Coffields list position

Via Mitch Cleary on Twitter

St Kilda is looking to two ex-AFL players as possible reinforcements for the list spot opened up by Nick Coffield’s ACL.

Former Tiger wingman Patrick Naish and former Power defender Jarrod Lienert will train with the Saints in the next fortnight @7NewsMelbourne @7AFL

Note: Leinert 27 yo is a tall defender 195cms who was on Ports list, Naish 23yo is a very much an outside wingman who was on Richmonds list.

Stian
Club Player

Re: Saints looking to fill Coffields list position

If that's the choice - surely you would take Lienert.

Can anybody offer some insights as to why the club would be looking at Naish?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 5:31pm Can anybody offer some insights as to why the club would be looking at Naish?
No.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Stian wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 5:31pm If that's the choice - surely you would take Lienert.

Lienert Supercoach stats
2018 6 games, Average SC score 75.2
2019 7 games, Avg SC score 82.1
2020 5 games, Avg SC score 59.8
2021 5 games, Avg SC score 73.4

I don't know a thing about Supercoach, just putting it up for some of you who might know what those numbers mean

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Stian
Club Player

Hmmm, I'm a bit dim about Supercoach, too. But those 2 names still seem to have been drawn out of a hat at random.

Gershwin
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 6:47pm
Stian wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 5:31pm If that's the choice - surely you would take Lienert.

Lienert Supercoach stats
2018 6 games, Average SC score 75.2
2019 7 games, Avg SC score 82.1
2020 5 games, Avg SC score 59.8
2021 5 games, Avg SC score 73.4

I don't know a thing about Supercoach, just putting it up for some of you who might know what those numbers mean
It is based on possessions and effectiveness.
A top mid like Steele would average about 125.
Wilkie averaged 73. Sinclair 86.
70 -80 is good for a lock-down type defender.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

Love Leinert’s desperation.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Stian
Club Player

I like the look of his commitment, too.

Apparently Port told him in his exit interview that the only reason they delisted him was to give more development time to younger players (he is 27). So he might be a good pickup to fill a gap for a year or 2.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I thought we had an abundance of defenders. I didn’t even think Coff was a guaranteed start.. Wow..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Stian
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 8:30pm I thought we had an abundance of defenders. I didn’t even think Coff was a guaranteed start.. Wow..
True - but he isn't really a like-for-like replacement for Coff.

At 195cm/93kg he is supplementing Allison (195/87) and Highmore (193/86). Arguably, at the moment, he would be more able to deal with a 2nd monster tall than either of those 2; while Howard copes with the real monster.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 8:44pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 8:30pm I thought we had an abundance of defenders. I didn’t even think Coff was a guaranteed start.. Wow..
True - but he isn't really a like-for-like replacement for Coff.

At 195cm/93kg he is supplementing Allison (195/87) and Highmore (193/86). Arguably, at the moment, he would be more able to deal with a 2nd monster tall than either of those 2; while Howard copes with the real monster.
Allison is very young, and his development has been impacted last year, with no VFL being played in 2021 (I live in Perth and don't follow VFL, just going off my dodgy memory, so excuse me if I'm wrong on that score).

Joyce has been given several chances but seems to be fringe.

Lienert would be a nice option to assist Howard n Wilkie, particularly vs Reiwoldt n that other ginger thug Tiger.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hoping we go with Leinert. Unlucky to be cut, fringe best 22 at Port, and at 195cm is tall enough to play emergency KPP. Someone at the club has the hots for Naish and keeps putting him forward as an option but until he absolutely dominates VFL, I can't make a case.

We don't seem to have any kind of contingency if Howard goes down, and no plan if a team comes at us with two big forwards. Joyce? I really can't see him stepping up to the grade but hope I'm wrong. Allison is a pure project player, picked by a recruiting staff who will have their hearts in their mouths given he was a genuine reach when selected, and we don't even really know his best position.

Discussed in other threads months ago but the KPP defence looms as a massive issue for us in 2022 that we haven't moved to rectify. We are clearly going with a more 'mobile' defence, which certainly has value in terms of ball movement/counter attacking but strikes me as an almighty and unnecessary gamble.

Leinert doesn't solve that issue outright - I wish we'd signed Sam Skinner, who, ironically, Port signed - but I think he'd end up playing at least 12-13 games purely attributable to his size and competitive nature, allowing Wilkie and Highmore that bit more freedom. Add Paton, Sinclair and Howard and we'd at least have some depth there, albeit without any stars.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A number of Port fans on BF have stated Lienert is not a key defensive player despite his size. If thats the case why are we even bothering, develop the younger players or look else where.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 13 Feb 2022 11:06pm A number of Port fans on BF have stated Lienert is not a key defensive player despite his size. If thats the case why are we even bothering, develop the younger players or look else where.
'A number of Port fans'- listening to their opinions would be like watching youtube videos of 5G conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, etc.

How about we listen to experts employed by the Saints who actually know a lot more about footy players, than the average Alberton bogan who knows nothing about football

Stian
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 13 Feb 2022 11:47pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 13 Feb 2022 11:06pm A number of Port fans on BF have stated Lienert is not a key defensive player despite his size. If thats the case why are we even bothering, develop the younger players or look else where.
'A number of Port fans'- listening to their opinions would be like watching youtube videos of 5G conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, etc.

How about we listen to experts employed by the Saints who actually know a lot more about footy players, than the average Alberton bogan who knows nothing about football
I can't say "oh yeah" loudly enough. Good one WS. :D

Saintmike65
Club Player

Saints interest in Naish goes back to his draft year when they put a bid on him.
They must like his speed and ball use but is very much an outside player.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree a lot of Port supporters are bogans as are Saints supporters. I have friends who dont fit that mould and asked one what they think of him and he said he was average.

Time will tell I guess but he was delisted at 26 yo, when most footballers are in their prime. Port finished 4th last year and after delisting him immediately added another SANFL player in Skinner who has had 3 or 4 knee reco's. We have done well with untried SANFL players so hopefully if he gets a gig he is another.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Mon 14 Feb 2022 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 8:51am Saints interest in Naish goes back to his draft year when they put a bid on him.
They must like his speed and ball use but is very much an outside player.
That’s the sense I’ve always got with regards to him

The interest in him has always struck me as more being a point of adding depth to an area of the list where we may not have quite as much as you want e.g fast outside mid with good disposal
Have barely seen him play so don’t really have an impression beyond the fact that he’s not well rated on this forum… but the interest seems profile driven to me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Never really got this logic

We’re talking about the experts that took McCartin over Petracca, signed Hannebery for 5 years, let Hind go for nothing etc

Of course on the flip side they’ve gotten a number gems too Wilkie came out of nowhere as did Cooper… don’t think there are many complaining about Marshall from the rookie list, the inspired decision to get Ryder or Higgins + King looks a beauty too

I would say that our list management experts are like most others in the AFL… full of hits and misses.

Certainly haven’t distinguished themselves to be unquestionably above scrutiny

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda fans are probably the most sophisticated, enlightened, intelligent, charismatic and informed sports fans in general, I would say.

Port Adelaide, on the other hand…well, they say Adelaide is a pretty town. Well, whatever is in the paddock of Alberton is scarey.

Thing is, I can’t figure out the numbers…

It seems that since the Koch/Hinkley era, Port Adelaide would be the most successful side outside of Geelong.
116 wins
67 losses

Incredible consistent success.
And they kick the AFLs arse a bit too..make sure they are being heard …

Since Koch/Hinkley, the mighty Saints, who recruited one of their assistants ,
71 wins
120 losses.

But we did beat Port Adelaide..
Once.

My numbers don’t seem to add up either…
Duh..

Samurai saint..where are you?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
repta
Club Player

THe saints dont need a straight replacement (eg like for like) for Coffield as his role can be covered by any number of other players. Meaning no disrespect to Coffield. Another player can move into his role and the backline can adapt.
They do need someone with experience that can step into the team or be someone that can step straight into the team.
I say take the best possible with a key view of someone that can play a number of different roles for the team if required.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saint6709
Club Player

I'm willing to admit that Corey Enright might know a bit more about Blake Schlensog than I do - but I dont know why we arent having him train ?

I cant see why we would consider Naish given who we already have on the list