Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 6:08pm
freely wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 5:54pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 5:52pm We have 7 guys who can fill the small defender role.......Paton, Webster, Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Coffield, and Connolly. In another ten months no-one will be bothering to moan about Nick Hind. We have that position more than adequately covered. We have more pressing issues like CHB and the ruck, but at least we have a competent player in Battle to fill the CHB role, if needed. People carry on about Nick Hind as if we had given away Nick Dal Santo.
I seem to have lost the plot here - isn't this the GT-bashing thread?
or more to the point: "Teflon bashing GT thread", it's been a jolly entertaining debate so far, 12 pages and growing....:lol: :lol:
How is one person on a diatribe a debate?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

More than enough posters with a contrary view to make it a lengthy debate

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yes, its a mass debate.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 5:52pm We have 7 guys who can fill the small defender role.......Paton, Webster, Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Coffield, and Connolly. In another ten months no-one will be bothering to moan about Nick Hind. We have that position more than adequately covered. We have more pressing issues like CHB and the ruck, but at least we have a competent player in Battle to fill the CHB role, if needed. People carry on about Nick Hind as if we had given away Nick Dal Santo.
or more to the point: "Teflon bashing GT thread", it's been a jolly entertaining debate so far, 12 pages and growing....:lol: :lol:
Again short sighted but I’ll take the jibe ...it’s not about me or any individual
Good discussion and I think CWRCYN has adequately addressed your inaccuracies above
Cary on
And look - No mention of Voldemort!

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Say it well, say it once.

Either I just made that up, or some great thinker/sage should have said it (before this thread started, at least).
Con Fousias, maybe?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 8:33pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 29 Oct 2021 5:52pm
..12 pages and growing....:lol: :lol:
Fill your pipe with tobacco...and watch this

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Shaggy
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 4:38pm Find it pretty funny that some supporters are backing a guy who thought it was a good idea to be Coach, Head of Development, Head of Contracts & Chief of List Management amongst many other things and of course everything was great and the only change required was for him to take on more roles and get rid of people.

The way GT has tried to destabilise the club by publicly panning the current board insinuating major issues and deep rooted discontentment is insulting especially when he claims he has the cure when he clearly failed previously ...... a snakeskin oil salesman if there was ever one

I hope Larry is prepared to be undermined cause GT has form in this area
GT worked within his budget which was a shoe string. He prioritised staff he believed in and did extra jobs where he thought people were weak He paid more for those he believed in which is the opposite of a control freak.

You appear to know someone who was a victim of the lack of funding at the time. It is not necessarily GT's fault.

If your friend is not at the top of the game now then it was probably a fair decision.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sat 30 Oct 2021 10:22pm]

GT worked within his budget which was a shoe string. He prioritised staff he believed in and did extra jobs where he thought people were weak He paid more for those he believed in which is the opposite of a control freak.
Gee that's a nice flip on the definition of control freak. Prioritised staff...did extra jobs for those he thought were weak??? He paid more...for who & with whose money? How does that make sense after your first sentence about a shoe string budget?

Wasn't it that shoestring budget that paid out the promise to Blight and took our players on overseas leadership contiki tours?

A shoestring budget weakened by turning its back on Tassie. A shoestring budget that could afford to sued for holiday pay. Sorry shaggy, none of that makes sense.

He was a control freak who now requires periodic validation through the media using St Kilda, yet again. I wish he'd just do a KB and disappear altogether!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tho ... 594pk.html
Former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas will meet with Saints president Andrew Bassat this week as his bid to bring change to the Saints’ board and end a 55-year premiership drought intensifies.

Thomas and heavyweight businessman Gerry Ryan are endorsing dental surgeon and influential Saints figure Larry Benge for a seat on the board. They believe Benge would help to bring fresh ideas to the club, which has made the finals only once in a decade.…..

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

GT in quote dismisses injuries and predicts current set up can't go top*.

Sounds like an opposition pollie not a supporter.

If he has quietly picked up the phone, had a chat to share his insights and made suggestions that have been ignored but proven correct then I guess out of frustration he might air dirty linen, blow up the place to save it but the way this current push is being reported troubles me - don't see the love for the club more a look at me.

Bassatt seems to be handling it ok. Low key, measured, meditating.

*disclosure: right now I reckon those statements are rubbish.

Sanctorum
Club Player

For the benefit of Teflon and others, following is the full transcript of the article by Jon Pierik in yesterdays Age:

"Former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas will meet with Saints president Andrew Bassat this week as his bid to bring change to the Saints’ board and end a 55-year premiership drought intensifies.

Thomas and heavyweight businessman Gerry Ryan are endorsing dental surgeon and influential Saints figure Larry Benge for a seat on the board. They believe Benge would help to bring fresh ideas to the club, which has made the finals only once in a decade.

Thomas has already met with Bassat and sources close to him say the discussions were encouraging. This next meeting could be as early as Monday. Thomas and the Saints did not wish to comment when contacted, but industry sources claim Thomas could also be open to joining the board, should the chance arise.

However, he has made his feelings clear on social media in terms of where he thinks the club, under Seek co-founder Bassat and long-time chief executive Matt Finnis, is heading after another disappointing season when a decision to recruit established talent failed to result in back-to-back finals campaigns.

“We are supporting a talented person in Larry Benge who can help the club to change its current course which – to be frank – is not going to deliver a premiership. I’m sure the club will embrace him but if it doesn’t, I’ll consider my options,” Thomas said.

“We desperately want a premiership, which I’m certain the incumbents do also. That takes leadership, daring and innovation. I’m not certain we understand that or apply those principles. The current formula and/or leadership is not working.”

Thomas led St Kilda from 2001 to 2006, harnessing an emerging group, before he was unceremoniously sacked by then president Rod Butterss. He was unable to drag the Saints to their second flag, something his successors have also failed to do, although Ross Lyon reached grand finals in 2010 and 2011.

Having finally returned to the post-season last year, the Saints under Brett Ratten had been tipped to challenge for the top four this year but injuries and poor form hurt. The pressure was at its fiercest in May when an 111-point loss to the Western Bulldogs prompted club great Nick Riewoldt to question whether the Saints’ big-money recruits were suffering from “full bellies”.

Thomas has also used social media to claim “‘Ratts’ is a strategic & tactical genius I hear, but I’m not certain attitude and effort are as stringently managed”.
Responding to supporters’ suggestions that injuries hindered a team that finished 10th with 10 wins, Thomas replied: “You blame injuries. I blame attitude. Injuries don’t mean you can reduce effort.”

The Saints are not the only club dealing with boardroom issues. Collingwood have been under fire all year, with prominent businessman Jeff Browne orchestrating change, while Hawthorn’s 1991 premiership player Andy Gowers and former Australian Super boss Ian Silk have Jeff Kennett in their sights at Hawthorn. Carlton’s board is facing another challenge from investment fund manager John Hollingworth."

No doubt some of the stuff here will further enrage the legion of GT Haters on this forum, but you can't dispute his comment that when St Kilda suffered some really shocking losses this year, and there were a few and that ultimately cost the team a spot in the finals, it was 'attitude' rather than injuries that was entirely to blame.....and without those shockers there would not have been this demand for change, let alone reams of comment on this forum!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Again though it’s lazy half arsed quotes that really mean little and talk about intangible fixes that lack any really “innovation” (though he likes to see himself as innovative). Take the below:

We desperately want a premiership, which I’m certain the incumbents do also. That takes leadership, daring and innovation. I’m not certain we understand that or apply those principles. The current formula and/or leadership is not working.”

How the fork would Thomas know from the past 10 years away from the club that the current Board don’t understand “leadership, daring and innovation”?????
From the little I know and hear if Bassat he’s a smart customer who, as proof tells us, hasn’t rested on his laurels - the club (as has been post numerous times has done some brilliant things in the past 2-3 years to start to turn the place around - as recent focus on improving player development with a highly rated appointment as yet another example of Bassat getting on with the job....not whore-ing himself out via media).

As for our beltings last year - unacceptable. Was that really lack of effort or again has lazy Grant not done his homework to understand the wide reporting that the club botched pre season - players were left to “drive their agenda” here (an approach I don’t like) and were not fit. Come mid year that fitness improved so did our results but it was too late.
Was that cause we were more “daring” “innovative” ???
Again, so what’s the club done in response????? Sacked the previous fitness guru and brought in new blood and let’s be real IF that does t turn around this year Ratten is in big trouble.....with Clarkson sitting there.
All this means, again, we don’t need ex club bullies holding a gun to the clubs head via media - I despise Thomas assertion for Larry which is really this
“either I get my way ....or I’ll consider options...”
Veiled threats via a media lapping it up again as Saints implode - that does t bother Grant one iota as long as he gets what he wants.
His interests are not St Kikdas they’re Grants
The Emperor has no clothes ....this time round I think more see that for what it is and thank god it may just mean the club has finally grown up.

“Yeah….nah””
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 31 Oct 2021 7:47am

Gee that's a nice flip on the definition of control freak. Prioritised staff...did extra jobs for those he thought were weak??? He paid more...for who & with whose money? How does that make sense after your first sentence about a shoe string budget?

Wasn't it that shoestring budget that paid out the promise to Blight and took our players on overseas leadership contiki tours?

A shoestring budget weakened by turning its back on Tassie. A shoestring budget that could afford to sued for holiday pay. Sorry shaggy, none of that makes sense.

He was a control freak who now requires periodic validation through the media using St Kilda, yet again. I wish he'd just do a KB and disappear altogether!
the club was broke before they took control
IF you dont know that there is no use in a discussion
They turned finances around & introduced some unique & ground breaking ideas

PS Im quite sure there is an adjective above you are going to twist to suit

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

and since when is a board room shake up BAD thing?

Seeya
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Some threatening tones in there, with Thomas stating that if the club does not embrace the dentist, he "will consider my options". That sounds like a guy who wants to really throw his weight around if he doesn't get his way. Thomas should be mindful of the instability that plagued our club for decades because of people who threw their weight around if they didn't get what they wanted. Currently, we have a pretty harmonious football club. Thomas needs to tread carefully and treat the current management of the club with respect, or he'll just end up being a hypocrite who could very well blow up the place

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 7:09pm Some threatening tones in there, with Thomas stating that if the club does not embrace the dentist, he "will consider my options". That sounds like a guy who wants to really throw his weight around if he doesn't get his way. Thomas should be mindful of the instability that plagued our club for decades because of people who threw their weight around if they didn't get what they wanted. Currently, we have a pretty harmonious football club. Thomas needs to tread carefully and treat the current management of the club with respect, or he'll just end up being a hypocrite who could very well blow up the place
More than a tone, it's a threat. He can become our Trump and prove just how gullible we are. Pass the popcorn.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 6:29pm and since when is a board room shake up BAD thing?
When an individual gets involved and makes it all about himself / herself.

The current board have had a couple of years to turn around an absolute crapshow and we want a shake-up already?

Its a classic case of riding on coat tails...... record membership numbers, a Finals win last season, a very good young core coming through, settled at Moorabbin, ....... the current board deserve the chance to see it through for a few more years ....... and not be slaughtered in the Media by a previously failed administrator/coach who believes himself to be "The One"

We need stability not a shitfest board turnover run through a ravenous media
Last edited by Devilhead on Mon 01 Nov 2021 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 8:25pm
sunsaint wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 6:29pm and since when is a board room shake up BAD thing?
When an individual gets involved and makes it all about himself / herself.

The current board have had a couple of years to turn around and absolute crapshow and we want a shake-up already?

Its a classic case of riding on coat tails...... record membership numbers, a Finals win last season, a very good young core coming through, settled at Moorabbin, ....... the current board deserve the chance to see it through for a few more years ....... and not be slaughtered in the Media by a previously failed administrator/coach who believes himself to be "The One"

We need stability not a shitfest board turnover run through a ravenous media
It’s staggering people don’t get this
Yes we didn’t have an awesome 2021 but fork me we have things to look forward to some pieces are coming together and people actually believe that threats made via media is appropriate????????
I think some Saints fans are just not happy unless there’s upheaval or some white knight saviour needs to make them feel like “I’ll get you some respect...watch me take on HQ...”
Totally insecure and Thomas knows the tune on the pipe to bring the rats along...

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

re Clarko

he's got eyes on bringing the Tassy team
up to speed
and said as much
before he scarpered off to the States

i'm not thinking he's a threat to Ratts

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 6:27pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 31 Oct 2021 7:47am

the club was broke before they took control
IF you dont know that there is no use in a discussion
They turned finances around & introduced some unique & ground breaking ideas

PS Im quite sure there is an adjective above you are going to twist to suit
Doesn't seem much point in the discussion then.

Have I said the club was rolling in it? The claim was Thomas worked within a shoestring budget and did extra jobs because people were weak, does not sound like he did them because we had no money.

This "broke" club lures Blight in for a million dollars, attracts players of the calibre of Hamill & Gehrig. Those finances that got turned around did not find its way to player services. The same finances that got structured to pay 10 players the lion's share of the salary cap plus give Thomas a nice pay rise for all these hats he was reluctant to give up but still wished to be compensated for.

Nothing there to twist, simply disagree with your take. I won't get into those unique and ground breaking ideas simply because you didn't.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 9:00pm re Clarko

he's got eyes on bringing the Tassy team
up to speed
and said as much
before he scarpered off to the States

i'm not thinking he's a threat to Ratts
It won’t matter
If we don’t make finals or suffer multiple 12 goal no shellackings cause we have stuffed pre season again he’ll go
We can’t have another 7 Richo years to tread water
Ratten knows it too I think
I would entertain re-signing him till past midway point of season at earliest

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

As my mates who I meet with regularly will attest, I was disgusted when the club sacked Malcolm Blight and replaced him with Grant Thomas - I always suspected that GT engineered this quite mischievously. As it turned out, Thomas achieved considerable success with the team in the years 2001 - 2006 but ultimately he failed to get the team into a GF, and so I was quite happy that he was sacked and replaced by Ross Lyon.

Since that time, Thomas has been in and out in the media at different times and commented on the performance of St Kilda, which is only natural given his long association with our club, not all of which I have agreed with but I never considered it a big deal as he is far from the only one doing so - notably Jeff Kennett.

I am very much a "glass 3/4 full" when it comes to St Kilda's prospects, indeed I commented recently that I consider the current list to be capable of playing finals in 2022. Nonetheless, for all of my optimism I am also a realist and understand that better judges than me don't share my hopes, with most commentators predicting St Kilda to be unlikely to live up to our hopes and expectations.

Insofar as his latest foray is concerned (which I'm sure is fully backed by Gerry Ryan), I am not going to allow my personal prejudices to cloud my judgement.

Teflon and others claim that the team's horror first half of the 2021 season was due to poor preparation during the pre-season - that may be so but I have not seen that openly acknowledged by either Finnis, Lethlean or Ratten, let alone the Club President. In any event, if that is 100% correct it reflects equally poorly on those three individuals because I would find it incredible that the head of fitness bears sole responsibility for such a massive blunder. Pre-season preparation is fundamental to a footy team's success - stuff it up, as Adelaide did a few years ago, and you've wasted a whole season, if not more....

I won't list them all, but there were at least 3 losing games in 2021 in which St Kilda were clearly the better team - the most glaring one in Cairns where Adelaide came from a long way behind to overhaul the Saints in the dying minutes of the game. I agree 100% with Thomas when he claims it was lack of attitude and effort, rather than injuries, that brought about the massive thrashings inflicted on St Kilda by Essendon, Richmond, Port Adelaide and Footscray which led to the team's poor percentage from which it never really recovered.

So, as I stated in earlier posts, in view of such a poor season, I see nothing wrong with Gerry Ryan and Grant Thomas demanding a change in direction, starting with introducing new blood to the Board, and as for this playing out in the media I refer to the old saying: "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs"!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Last 3 games of 21. Flogged Freo in a canter; they were fringe 8 with big scalps and had everything to play for. Got big lead on Geelong at Geelong and got run over by experience on home ground - 14 points. Gave Sydney a hiding.

Sharman and King emerge as class scoring acts. We have recruited exceptionally well; see Highmore and Higgins. Crouch will get better. Improvement will come naturally as injured players with class will be available and fit in 22 whereas they were not in 21.

GT what's the problem. The first half of season poor efforts had become history. And why do you see yourself as the answer to selective issues you have raised. Haven't won a premiership so off with everyone's head. This is the high priest of process: follow the process and results will come was his mantra - now he is into magic wands and has found a footy genius hiding as a dentist for all this time. Ratts will be in third year, for pete's sake, fair suck of the impatient sausage - he had us in two finals and on the cusp in 21 when we had to come from rock bottom form.

If Grant can be specific about Matt Finnis' weaknesses and Leathlean's and how he will guarantee to bring in people with none that will hit the ground running, spell it/them out Grant. Generalised character white anting is not edifying. Everyone that makes high stakes calls and plenty of them makes wrong calls, luck and fate influence outcomes. Are you claiming you can take all those external factors out of the equation.

Rhetorical, opportunistic, vague and unrealistic bulls***, GT. The axiom all change is good was made up by Machiavelli when he wanted to rock the boat so he could take the wheel. Perhaps you are being paid by Carlton and Essendon to derail us as we will be contesting one position in the 8 with them. We are already changing for the better.

Think you and the dentist are the only ones that dearly want a flag and have the magic formula. Trying to fix a problem that does not exist can't help us. Unnecessary distractions from the main game can hurt though. Go away.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 02 Nov 2021 4:02pm Last 3 games of 21. Flogged Freo in a canter; they were fringe 8 with big scalps and had everything to play for. Got big lead on Geelong at Geelong and got run over by experience on home ground - 14 points. Gave Sydney a hiding.

Sharman and King emerge as class scoring acts. We have recruited exceptionally well; see Highmore and Higgins. Crouch will get better. Improvement will come naturally as injured players with class will be available and fit in 22 whereas they were not in 21.

GT what's the problem. The first half of season poor efforts had become history. And why do you see yourself as the answer to selective issues you have raised. Haven't won a premiership so off with everyone's head. This is the high priest of process: follow the process and results will come was his mantra - now he is into magic wands and has found a footy genius hiding as a dentist for all this time. Ratts will be in third year, for pete's sake, fair suck of the impatient sausage - he had us in two finals and on the cusp in 21 when we had to come from rock bottom form.

If Grant can be specific about Matt Finnis' weaknesses and Leathlean's and how he will guarantee to bring in people with none that will hit the ground running, spell it/them out Grant. Generalised character white anting is not edifying. Everyone that makes high stakes calls and plenty of them makes wrong calls, luck and fate influence outcomes. Are you claiming you can take all those external factors out of the equation.

Rhetorical, opportunistic, vague and unrealistic bulls***, GT. The axiom all change is good was made up by Machiavelli when he wanted to rock the boat so he could take the wheel. Perhaps you are being paid by Carlton and Essendon to derail us as we will be contesting one position in the 8 with them. We are already changing for the better.

Think you and the dentist are the only ones that dearly want a flag and have the magic formula. Trying to fix a problem that does not exist can't help us. Unnecessary distractions from the main game can hurt though. Go away.
But we finished 10th,we always have excuses we need a vision ala B.Gale can the current board provide us with that or do they need a nudge ,I’m a GT fan & yes he’s got a huge gob on him but I don’t think he would do anything to hurt the saints & neither would Gerry Ryan they just want the club to go huge & improve & why not !

PADDLEPOP1000