Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:17pm Will be interesting to see how Dunstan goes after a preseason with Melbourne’s clearly superior fitness staff. He might add two way running to his grunt work. Given he only needs to handball it out to Oliver so his kicking won’t be a factor he will likely shine… if he can break into the premiership team.
Good luck to him.

Hopefully compensation we receive will allow us to get both academy picks. Three new midfield playing kids - hopefully one will be a star and make this trade look like a win win.
Geez. I hope you are right.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Many claimed he wasn't AFL standard, then he came into the side and played very well and made those people (and more senior players) look silly...

Then the same people justified us getting rid of him by saying "See, no one is interested in picking him up!", then the reigning premiers do...

Will they admit they might be wrong about him?

Doubtful :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:20pm Many claimed he wasn't AFL standard, then he came into the side and played very well and made those people (and more senior players) look silly...

Then the same people justified us getting rid of him by saying "See, no one is interested in picking him up!", then the reigning premiers do...

He's gone to a club as depth not to play starting mid. He's another McKernan or Hunter.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:20pm Many claimed he wasn't AFL standard, then he came into the side and played very well and made those people (and more senior players) look silly...

I’d have preferred to keep him personally… came around on that following his late form

Not as bad as ppl are making out now but also pbly not as good as you’re saying either IMHO

Certainly good enough to be on the list and is better than a number of players on the list that we have kept

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

So it's not a straight swap for Christian Petracca?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Dunny has been flushed, hope he gets his s*** together at Melbourne, Choco can work on his kicking and his mate Richo
will make him feel more welcome than some at the Saints did.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s a case-by-case thing with Dunny, and in this case, I think it’s a case of Casey. 😊

Except when we play ‘em. You watch!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The ultimate list clogger

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:35pm
I can't see a top 4 capable club picking him up. He is damaged goods with the question of why he was told he was gone in round 1 his baggage.

I can however see a club at the absolute bottom of a rebuild picking him up to be used as a mature bodied battering ram to provide safe passage for young and underdeveloped bodies through and around stoppages.
I don’t rate Melbourne as a top 4 side either.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:01pm
I can't see a top 4 capable club picking him up. He is damaged goods with the question of why he was told he was gone in round 1 his baggage.

I can however see a club at the absolute bottom of a rebuild picking him up to be used as a mature bodied battering ram to provide safe passage for young and underdeveloped bodies through and around stoppages.
:D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:39pm

I’d have preferred to keep him personally… came around on that following his late form

Not as bad as ppl are making out now but also pbly not as good as you’re saying either IMHO

Certainly good enough to be on the list and is better than a number of players on the list that we have kept
Spot on.

*cough*GearyRossLonieKent*cough*

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I bet you were rubbing your hands together like an excited fly as you typed that out.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him but his worth is what we receive as compensation which if it is not nothing, it's next to it. This is fact.

His value as it stands is as a super cheap depth player with 100 games experience. Highly likely to play well when given an opportunity but that will be driven by ego and a point to prove, not by a love of club or team mates.

He and his attitude were not our future. Now a relic of our forgotten years.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:05pm

I bet you were rubbing your hands together like an excited fly as you typed that out.
I only have two hands, so probably not.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
therabbitinthehat
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:01pm Dunny plays every game of the H&A season of 2022 in the midfield for the Dees and averages around 25 to 30 per game and then plays out of his arse in the final series and also polls high in the Norm Smith medal as the Dees go back to back. The next day there are pictures everywhere in the media of Richo and Dunny in a firm embrace holding up the premiership cup.
What happens next?
We congratulate an ex-saint for winning an elusive flag?
Just curious Rabbit,
What was your demon mate think of Dean Kent?
Me personally - he has good games and bad, and the difference between the 2 are so polar opposite though that I can understand why he wouldn't get picked consistently. Similar to Dan Butler in my view but the difference between them is Butler looks like he's trying to work into the game when he's playing a bad one whereas Kent just disappears - which I see as being their justification for keeping on playing him through a bad spell. Demon mate said "who?"
Will be interesting to see how Dunstan goes after a preseason with Melbourne’s clearly superior fitness staff. He might add two way running to his grunt work.
This really - I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with his ability to get the ball - that's at elite (or close to) level. It's just what he does with it once he does get it that many (including me) have had issues with. If Melbourne think they can train that out of him, great, because both the Saints and Dunny obviously couldn't see it happening at St Kilda.
I'm not sure why you think this is an either/or situation - Saints didn't think he was part of their future plans as anything more than a depth player, he made it clear he wasn't happy with that assessment and now he's at another club. Seems everyone is happy about this other than you? The 'justification' is that he was picked up for depth by Melbourne (exactly what we were saying to him) not as a starting mid which is what he was at the Saints until this year. It took him all year to figure out that even though he thought he was worth the pay packet of a starting mid at another club, he explored that option and found it non-existent so took the next best option after already burning bridges at the saints. If he's on more than a 2year $200k deal I'll be amazed (and more than happy for the compo) but the fact that they're already talking about the deal being so low that we won't get compo shows you just how much the Demons don't really value him too much either. The fact he decided on them rather than Gold Coast means they mustn't have offered him much either but there's at least a chance he'll Bradbury his way into a premiership medallion by going with the Dees.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:09pm If he's on more than a 2year $200k deal I'll be amazed (and more than happy for the compo) but the fact that they're already talking about the deal being so low that we won't get compo shows you just how much the Demons don't really value him too much either.
I wonder what his salary would be at St Kilda after 10 years - there would have been a fair amount of Salary 'Creep' involved - so there is that money being freed up that will be needed for other up and coming Mids.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints did the right thing. Bytel will take his place and is a better kick than him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to be disrespectful to Luke Dunstan, but this deal makes him Melbourne's Paul Hunter. A back up in cases of injuries. Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Harmes..... that's a few ahead of him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:04pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:39pm

Spot on.

*cough*GearyRossLonieKent*cough*
All of those players have a significantly better attitude then him though

And to be honest, even with being written off this year and Luke being angry about it... he is primarily to blame IMO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Most of those players play different positions - only Ross plays mid and he has the ability to play as an outside mid.

Compare him to
Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Jones, Bytel

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Also,

I hated Dunstan’s attitude this season

Fkn sook!!!

He’s had 8 years to cement a spot. Hasn’t done it because his ball use is putrid and he can’t defend on the outside!

11 votes
And dropped twice

Who knows more, umpires or coaches?!

ace
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:20pm Maybe they have had informal talks and the amount we are willing to pay is a long way off what he wants. Surely he is worth even s*** money on the list as apposed to being delisted alternately is the plan to cut costs to create salary space?
Dunstan has made it clear he would not take any offer from St Kilda.
He wants out to anywhere but St Kilda.
He has said he feels that "Ratten does not rate him".
Now Melbourne have him St Kilda needs to get at least mid 4th round free agent compensation.
Mid 3rd round with 273points would be a bonus as it would cover NGA1 with one pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 6:12pm Saints did the right thing. Bytel will take his place and is a better kick than him.
Now Bytel has to get his hands on the footy a heap more.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintly
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 7:08pm
wally wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:20pm Maybe they have had informal talks and the amount we are willing to pay is a long way off what he wants. Surely he is worth even s*** money on the list as apposed to being delisted alternately is the plan to cut costs to create salary space?
Dunstan has made it clear he would not take any offer from St Kilda.
He wants out to anywhere but St Kilda.
He has said he feels that "Ratten does not rate him".
Now Melbourne have him St Kilda needs to get at least mid 4th round free agent compensation.
Mid 3rd round with 273points would be a bonus as it would cover NGA1 with one pick.
If we haven't received compensation by now, doubt we will.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

So we do we get compo for Dunstan or not? Anyone know?