Most improved in 2021?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Most improved in 2021?

Is it Webster?

By far his best year at the club.

Actually makes the best 6 problematic with Paton to come back, Coffield being all over the place and Highmore’s emergence.

Other nominations?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Most improved in 2021?

Jack Sinclair.

Going from strength to strength and slowly emerging as a leader.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Webster and Sincs - Good nominations

However - surely - Cooper Sharman needs to be considered!
Not on the list to averaging 2.5 goals per game (for the ones he actually got on the field)
A small sample size I know - but if we get the midfield right and give reasonable delivery - there will be a few headaches for opposition clubs next year with King / Sharman / Membrey combination

Sammy was on SEN saying that he recommends that Coops becomes a pest to Members over the Off season to hone his craft

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair has always looked a quality player, for me its Dan McKenzie. I dont know if you win most improved at 25, but he has completely turned his career around and is now a damaging wingman. Basically didnt play AFL footy for 18 months and now is in front of a number of others on the list.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:17am Webster and Sincs - Good nominations

However - surely - Cooper Sharman needs to be considered!
Not on the list to averaging 2.5 goals per game (for the ones he actually got on the field)
A small sample size I know - but if we get the midfield right and give reasonable delivery - there will be a few headaches for opposition clubs next year with King / Sharman / Membrey combination

Sammy was on SEN saying that he recommends that Coops becomes a pest to Members over the Off season to hone his craft
Sharman is a great nom for best first year player, but for me to be Most Improved you need a previous year at the club as a baseline to actually improve on.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Byrnes also has stepped up and is verging on a regular spot.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vazelos
Club Player

Sinclair - exceptional this year
Max King- made huge strides this year people won’t choose him because he is already seen as a star but see Mc Cartin and Billings as examples of high picks not meeting expectations.
Webster- very good season excellent performance

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Webster and Syncs were obvious improvers without going the stats so they take out Gold and Silver, Gold going to Syncs who I think is a chance for the TB medal if the voters valued his uptake of the new postion more than the stellar season by Steely.

Jack Higgins had a comparable season to his best at the Tigers and could be on the podium for Bronze. I had this impression he was only a small forward and not capable of playing North of the arc however he bobbed up for possession ALL over the ground towards the end of the season. Time will tell if he was only allowed outside of the arc due to availability issues with players or if we can expect to see him continue in that role next season.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Sinclair for me although Jimmy has been very good Sinc's has been fantastic this year IMO

hotdish
Club Player

McKenzie by a length.

As Ratten alluded to last round's post match press conference, McKenzie didn't play a game in 2020 and his career was at the crossroads.

The move to play McKenzie on the wing and ocassionally on-ball paid dividends and here kicked a few goals here and there. Not having him play down back as a lock-defender was a good move.

I have been highly critical of McKenzie but he has a future and he can push to be in the 22.

A second is Sinclair. He continues to get better every year.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

hotdish wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 6:53pm McKenzie by a length.

As Ratten alluded to last round's post match press conference, McKenzie didn't play a game in 2020 and his career was at the crossroads.

The move to play McKenzie on the wing and ocassionally on-ball paid dividends and here kicked a few goals here and there. Not having him play down back as a lock-defender was a good move.

I have been highly critical of McKenzie but he has a future and he can push to be in the 22.

A second is Sinclair. He continues to get better every year.
IMO Sinc's flat lined for a couple of years but this year has gone to another level & IMO will finish top 3 in our B&F & hasn't even been close in previous years so that's why I gave him the nod
Don't get me wrong Dan has been great & I'm wrapped for him & hope he keeps improving even more next year :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair

Although he was excellent on the wing in 2018

Webster was a good player before injury

Dunstan? Although dropped after poor performance in the last round

Highmore.

But for a player that improved from last season and during this season
Max King

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jack Sinclair will be top 3 in our Best and Fairest and his value to the team in 2021 definitely gives him the nod for Most Improved

Jimmy has improved the way he prepares his body for game day and improved his recovery. He was always a good player

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair. I asked or stated last year that I did not know what position Sinclair played, I saw no impact from him at all. The move to HB is a revelation, best positional move of Ratten's St Kilda coaching career to date.

He shows incredible courage putting himself in the leading lanes. Excellent judgement and now has a platform to show his speed and footskills.

Special mentions to DMac & Byrnes. Highmore, Sharman & Connolly were pleasant surprises following their debuts.

Webster could always play, it was why the Bulldogs went hard to get him a few years ago. He just went missing in the Richuda Triangle. Glad he found his way back.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Wasnt Connolly on our list last year,imo he shows real promise

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting thread. Seems to me our home-grown players have improved - would agree with all of Sincs, DMac, Byrnes, Webster. Sharman - OK but hasn't really improved so much as been a champion from day dot. But the blow-ins have fallen off a bit. Butler, Hill. Although - Butler seems to be trying to reinvent himself. I think he's horribly selfish but he has been throwing himself into the contest a lot more than before.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair followed by DMac. Some will have Webster in there, but I always rated him highly as it was.