Dunstan on Suns radar

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan on Suns radar

Vortex wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 9:26pm
B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 8:35pm Apparently

There’s that word again?!

How would anyone know how he feels?

Let’s look at the options
Playing with a poor excuse for a club in a place where very few GAF about AFL
Or
Playing at a club near his family home in AFL heartland
A business I have a lot to do with is a major sponsor at Metricon and so I get a little trickle now and then about what is happening at GC. Obviously the trickle has passed many people before reaching my ears hence the word "apparently". But from all accounts Big Tony and others are doing everything possible to make it extremely hard for Ben not to not love the place and that inlcudes making sure Bens family are happy as well. I don't think Ben is going anywhere anytime soon unlsess the wheels completely fall off this build and Ben changes his mind but I get the feeling a lot of work and help from the AFL are making sure this build yeilds some success.
Id imagine they would be doing everything they can.
Unfortunately for them, they haven't done what we have with Max. Extended his contract to 2026.
If Ben and his family are so happy, surely the $3m for 4 Max agreed to has been hinted at. He is probably worth more in that list. I wonder why he hasn't resigned?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 6:15pm They’ll want at least 2 top 10 picks for Ben.

A waste if you ask me, spend those picks on young mids and hope to get the next Bont.

Oh, and Dunstan can just walk to GC if he wants, they don’t have to deal with us.
Dunstan can only walk to the draft cant he?

ace
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 11:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 6:15pm They’ll want at least 2 top 10 picks for Ben.

A waste if you ask me, spend those picks on young mids and hope to get the next Bont.

Oh, and Dunstan can just walk to GC if he wants, they don’t have to deal with us.
This is Dunstan's 8th season.
He is out of contract at season's end.
That makes him a restricted free agent.
He is NOT a tradeable bargaining chip.
He can place himself on the market and see what other clubs offer.
St Kilda would then have to match that offer or not.
If the answer is not, he walks but St Kilda would get a free agent compensation draft pick.
Probably a mid 2nd round pick like Adelaide got for Crouch.
So probably late 20s on the draft night
If the other club's offer were not enough to justify a mid 2nd round then you would expect St Kilda would be matching the other club's offer.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 1:14am

If the answer is not, he walks but St Kilda would get a free agent compensation draft pick.
If the other club's offer were not enough to justify a mid 2nd round then you would expect St Kilda would be matching the other club's offer.
I think the ploy is to announce that you will match any unreasonable offers, or you put your best offer up first.
This is the bargaining power you have. Dunstan wants the most he can get too.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 11:34pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 9:26pm
B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jul 2021 8:35pm Apparently

There’s that word again?!

How would anyone know how he feels?

Let’s look at the options
Playing with a poor excuse for a club in a place where very few GAF about AFL
Or
Playing at a club near his family home in AFL heartland
A business I have a lot to do with is a major sponsor at Metricon and so I get a little trickle now and then about what is happening at GC. Obviously the trickle has passed many people before reaching my ears hence the word "apparently". But from all accounts Big Tony and others are doing everything possible to make it extremely hard for Ben not to not love the place and that inlcudes making sure Bens family are happy as well. I don't think Ben is going anywhere anytime soon unlsess the wheels completely fall off this build and Ben changes his mind but I get the feeling a lot of work and help from the AFL are making sure this build yeilds some success.
Id imagine they would be doing everything they can.
Unfortunately for them, they haven't done what we have with Max. Extended his contract to 2026.
If Ben and his family are so happy, surely the $3m for 4 Max agreed to has been hinted at. He is probably worth more in that list. I wonder why he hasn't resigned?
Yeah time will tell I guess. What do we do in the meantime while that situation unfolds?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm not exactly sure but I feel like our next 2 frdp's are in trouble.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

as they should be

imo fwtw

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A little while ago plenty would have paid Suns to take Luke. Now he has confounded the selectors and Coaches with his form he is a valuable commodity.

And anyway why would Suns make Luke a priority over its other options given its list, style and coming picks.

Luke may better suit the Swans at the moment, it needs a couple of hard inside scrappers. Its clear that club has far better talent assessors and tacticians than us, at the moment. How ironic if while we persist with the Hanneberry myth the Swans take the Dunstan bird in hand. That would complete a cycle of foolishness - over estimate a crock and under estimate what's in front of noses.

Boy you hope our club is learning not to be so superficial and simplistic in its assessments and use of players. The recent use of Membrey has stirred hope in me that there is someone on the coaching team that can think in a more analytical way than: give the ball to Brad, Brad kick it to Max, Max try to kick a goal. Sometimes that doesn't play out.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Honestly would prefer gun young mids at this stage. Bing would be wonderful but I think elite mods would be far more valuable to our team

#1 Ryder fan
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Fairytales aside, we don't need Ben.

Go to the draft for a good running mid for our FRDP.

Dunstan free agent, doubtful we will get decent compensation.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is an unrestricted free agent

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651360/sizz ... -on-a-deal.

Saints have no access to match an offer.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 10:07am

Dunstan is an unrestricted free agent

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651360/sizz ... -on-a-deal.

Saints have no access to match an offer.
Exactly. He can just walk to whoever he wants.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
older saint
SS Life Member

3 ways this can play out.

Unrestricted free agent - can go where ever he likes and we have no recourse to match . We get whatever compensation based on wage range he is being paid at Suns

Option 2

We do a trade with GC for him. Why would GC do it - have more flexibility in regard to salary payments and cap structure than if free agent where must pay what is declared and cannot chnage after year 1 (for example) and for StKilda compensation may be better .

Option3
Decides doesn't want to leave and or club then trades Ross ( cant see this happening)

darylcowie
Club Player

Dunstan is more likely to move back to Adelaide, due to their weak midfield and cap space.
He would still be on the fringe at Port as their midfield is deeper.
The lure of coming home is very strong for unloved players.
It is probably also strong for King, but the big difference is that he is much loved.
In the short term (1-2 years) we would have to move heaven and earth to get him.
On a side note, I was on the Gold Coast on the weekend and went to the Bulldogs game.
Dogs were too classy in the end, but Suns outside speed, skill and creativity up forward were more inpressive than I expected.
Dunstan would help out Touk-Miller et al inside no doubt, but they will face stiff conpetition from Crows for his services.
Interesting vibe at the ground, more laid back and older home crowd,.
Mnyy Dogs fans turned up on the outer wing and were more vocal than the locals in the first half (probably because their team was behind) and giving away frees).
As an unviased observer I also thought the Suns were favoured by the umps!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 10:28am 3 ways this can play out.

Unrestricted free agent - can go where ever he likes and we have no recourse to match . We get whatever compensation based on wage range he is being paid at Suns

Option 2

We do a trade with GC for him. Why would GC do it - have more flexibility in regard to salary payments and cap structure than if free agent where must pay what is declared and cannot chnage after year 1 (for example) and for StKilda compensation may be better .

Option3
Decides doesn't want to leave and or club then trades Ross ( cant see this happening)
Option 4

He just sticks his middle finger up as he walks out the door for the last time because he is super pissed off since the club told him before round 1 that he wasn't a required player in 2022.

From my experience with human behaviour, I'd say all good will left the building at that moment and the good form Dunny was able to string together just recently was motivated by a farqh you attitude and begs the question, can Dunny sustain good form week in, week out, and for 4 quarters beyond winning another contract. A fair question in my mind.

older saint
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 2:42pm

Option 2

Option3
Option 4

He just sticks his middle finger up as he walks out the door for the last time because he is super pissed off since the club told him before round 1 that he wasn't a required player in 2022.

From my experience with human behaviour, I'd say all good will left the building at that moment and the good form Dunny was able to string together just recently was motivated by a farqh you attitude and begs the question, can Dunny sustain good form week in, week out, and for 4 quarters beyond winning another contract. A fair question in my mind.
Option 1.
Whether he leaves on good or bad terms we just hope the Suns or crows for that matter pay him well.

outside66
Club Player

Option 2

Option3
I wasn't aware of that re salary payments/cap structure. Interesting

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I didn't realise that he was unrestricted. Good luck to him.
Nevertheless, nothing stopping us from making an offer. Im guessing he is established in Melbourne and wants the best money he can get.
What's he worth?

older saint
SS Life Member

outside66 wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 5:28pm

Option 2

Option3
I wasn't aware of that re salary payments/cap structure. Interesting
Yes stops a club offering a player a ridiculous contract to get him out and then changing it down the track once they have him