Ben King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben King

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 25 Jun 2021 2:39pm Get Ben King now
We have the next 2-3 years to get/develop midfielder.

If we turn Billings into an early FRDP we may get Bing and a top midfielder in this draft.
Yep

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Bing had a bit of a stinker against Norf, no wonder the Suns are looking for another Key Forward. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 5:34pm Looks like Bing had a bit of a stinker against Norf, no wonder the Suns are looking for another Key Forward. :lol: :lol:
Yeah you’re probably right a 3rd pick should do it now...

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 7:36pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 5:34pm Looks like Bing had a bit of a stinker against Norf, no wonder the Suns are looking for another Key Forward. :lol: :lol:
🤞🤞🤞

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Even that won't work, Gags will already have traded it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 8:16pm
We’d spilt it for 2 4th rounders to get some athlete with 1 leg who our medicos think will grow back...

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 8:22pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 8:16pm
We’d spilt it for 2 4th rounders to get some athlete with 1 leg who our medicos think will grow back...
Don't laugh, you may be right.

ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 12:18am Why have we been playing for the future for the best part of ten years?!

In the same time Geelong have barely missed the top 4

We went the rebuild model, they stayed relevant
You don't have to go into rebuild if you are frugal with player payments.
Once you capitulate to a player agent, that agent knows he can get pay rises for all his stable at your club.
Then word gets out and all the agents are queuing up.
Players start asking their agents "what about me".
You end up unable to stay in the hunt because your salary cap is maxed out and you are having to back end load contracts.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Listening to the Age Real Footy podcast, Caroline Wilson (who was bullish about the Saints next year) reiterated that St Kilda was pursuing and was confident of getting Ben King and having a forward structure similar to Richmond (a-la Lynch and Riewoldt).

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Listening to the Age Real Footy podcast, both Jake Niall and Caroline Wilson stated that St Kilda was pursuing and were confident of getting Ben King.

Listen to the podcast from minutes 8-11 and 35-39. Both Caroline Wilson and Jake Niall seem to think Ben King is on the move. Wilson was clear in saying that she was hearing stuff from player managers.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/d ... 0527078936

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So we like and trust Carro when she says stuff we want to hear?

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 9:53am So we like and trust Carro when she says stuff we want to hear?

;)
I'm not sure its about liking her or not but she does seemed to attract the attention of the trusted, who cannot be trusted.and, she protects her sources. She is obviously a very charming snake in the grass.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 9:53am So we like and trust Carro when she says stuff we want to hear?

;)
Ahhh.....No. :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:10am

;)
I'm not sure its about liking her or not but she does seemed to attract the attention of the trusted, who cannot be trusted.and, she protects her sources. She is obviously a very charming snake in the grass.
Just ask Seve, may the great man rest in peace.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Maybe Ms Wilson is remorseful about the article about Ross and Membrey MIA against Adelaide and seeks to make amends :oops:

Doubt that we'll hear very much about the question of where Ben King will play in 2023 until the latter half of 2022, but expect there will be a lot of negotiations behind the scenes to have him traded to St Kilda - could be a mega trade involving both picks and players as the GC Suns will be keen to beef up their list with experienced players.

Of the current list Jack billings would seem to have the highest currency but his future will be determined in 2021 as a he's a RFA in November. Maybe GC Suns will take him as a down-payment!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:58pm Maybe Ms Wilson is remorseful about the article about Ross and Membrey MIA against Adelaide and seeks to make amends :oops:

Doubt that we'll hear very much about the question of where Ben King will play in 2023 until the latter half of 2022, but expect there will be a lot of negotiations behind the scenes to have him traded to St Kilda - could be a mega trade involving both picks and players as the GC Suns will be keen to beef up their list with experienced players.

Of the current list Jack billings would seem to have the highest currency but his future will be determined in 2021 as a he's a RFA in November. Maybe GC Suns will take him as a down-payment!
I think it's safe to say we are into the market for a tall key forward but I doubt very much Ben King is gettable for the next 3 to 5 years but I can see a deal that sees Billings go to the GCS for their pick 3 that they currently hold which we pass onto Melbourne for Sam Weiderman.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:58pm Maybe Ms Wilson is remorseful about the article about Ross and Membrey MIA against Adelaide and seeks to make amends :oops:

Billings will go / stay to where JB wants to go / stay. We have no say except to match or not match what he's offered as a RFA. I doubt the GC is on Billings' radar unless they are offering a ridiculous contract.

In that case our compensation would be a first round pick around 8 to 10.

Seems we will get Ben King, the question remains will he be on our list in 2022 or 2023. The cost is the question. Two FRDPs (current or future) or One FRDP plus one or two players - interest will be who; who they may want & who may want to go.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 1:55pm

Billings will go / stay to where JB wants to go / stay. We have no say except to match or not match what he's offered as a RFA. I doubt the GC is on Billings' radar unless they are offering a ridiculous contract.

In that case our compensation would be a first round pick around 8 to 10.

Seems we will get Ben King, the question remains will he be on our list in 2022 or 2023. The cost is the question. Two FRDPs (current or future) or One FRDP plus one or two players - interest will be who; who they may want & who may want to go.
What reasonable experience of some value would we have that we’d be willing to offer up?

Membrey?
Ross?
Battle..
I’m not sure what else ....Membrey would get their interest I think ...he’s not like for like but is a forward who kicks goals and could himself earn a decent payday

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ben King won't be leaving the GCS for at least 3 to 5 years.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:42pm Ben King won't be leaving the GCS for at least 3 to 5 years.
happy to wait until then and get him as a restricted free agent or even wait until he is a free agent.

Marshall, Ming and Membrey until then.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:50pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:42pm Ben King won't be leaving the GCS for at least 3 to 5 years.
happy to wait until then and get him as a restricted free agent or even wait until he is a free agent.

Marshall, Ming and Membrey until then.
Something tells me we need a stop gap before then. I'm guessing the club will be targeting a key tall forward at this year's trade table as the stop gap. I doubt we can become a top 4 contender until we fix our structural issue up forward and I don't think the development of this list can wait in hope for Ben King to be our guy.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t be so sure on that and I don’t think he’s the only one right now who might want out..

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 11:54pm
I wouldn’t be so sure on that and I don’t think he’s the only one right now who might want out..
One of the reasons Ben and Lukosius re-signed with Gold Coast was AFL ambassadorship pay outside the salary cap paid by the AFL.
The AFL reneged on these inducements when the AFL was financially smashed by Covid.
They both may have walked without those inducements, now they both may walk.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I know strange things do happen but there are a couple of things that conspire against it happening, the main thing is the financial stress that both clubs are under so that will restrict both clubs doing deals that require payouts.

The other issue is Cochrane will not let him go easily and so if it does turn out he does want to go this season the cost to do a deal will be out of reach for us.

The deal we could do with the GC is trade for their pick 3 using some players they need and they are officially on the record as stating they will be in the market for experienced players who can provide onfield leadership to their young list and theirin lies the problem for us to do that type of deal. As we know we don’t really have those type of players to trade. Billings is the obvious one however we would need to throw in another player you would think as a sweetener, maybe Dunsstan but they still won't be getting any onfield leadership so another club might beat our hand.

If we could get their pick 3, and I think it's a long shot, we could then look to bring in a tall key forward from another club using pick 3 and at the moment Melbourne has a couple in surplus, Weiderman and McDonald.

Our best shot at getting Max some urgent support.

Ben is 3 to 5 years away...we can't wait that long.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Jul 2021 9:05am
I know strange things do happen but there are a couple of things that conspire against it happening, the main thing is the financial stress that both clubs are under so that will restrict both clubs doing deals that require payouts.

The other issue is Cochrane will not let him go easily and so if it does turn out he does want to go this season the cost to do a deal will be out of reach for us.

The deal we could do with the GC is trade for their pick 3 using some players they need and they are officially on the record as stating they will be in the market for experienced players who can provide onfield leadership to their young list and theirin lies the problem for us to do that type of deal. As we know we don’t really have those type of players to trade. Billings is the obvious one however we would need to throw in another player you would think as a sweetener, maybe Dunsstan but they still won't be getting any onfield leadership so another club might beat our hand.

If we could get their pick 3, and I think it's a long shot, we could then look to bring in a tall key forward from another club using pick 3 and at the moment Melbourne has a couple in surplus, Weiderman and McDonald.

Our best shot at getting Max some urgent support.

Ben is 3 to 5 years away...we can't wait that long.
Sheesh, the Dees would want to throw a bit back at us if we were to give up pick 3 for Weideman or McDonald. I think they're way more like to keep Sam and try and punt Ben Brown (his style just doesn't suit their system).

I thought Ben was another short contract at GCS away from us but I'm not so sure now. They're a rabble. Chairman is a buffoon, Dew seems like a nice guy but clearly doesn't have the support around him. Playing group is either 18-21yo babies or 28yo from other clubs up there to pouch some super. It's a bad, bad list profile and the whole environment is just holiday central.

I can see Adelaide coming really hard for Jack L and Rankine. If that happens - what's Ben really got left to stay for? That said - you're 100% correct on them wanting the earth (which we don't have) for Ben.

Go you red, black & white warriors