What a joke !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a joke !

suss wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:31pm At the time we had to spend the salary cap on someone and he was the only decent player willing to come to us.

In any event, we’ve got to retire him now and do a deal on the remaining year on his contract. It’s the only way to stop the bleeding.
Sorry suss, I do not buy "we had to spend the salary", that sounds like crap to justify a very poor, knee jerk selection. We could have covered numerous players salaries & futures but it appears that Old Xavs have their man.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 1:16pm Anyone can get injured after a trade and turn out a poor trade in hindsight

Fergus Watts - Broken Ankle
Barry Brooks - Knee
Jake Carlisle - Back

Injuries happen in footy - sometimes ruins careers

It’s whether these injuries could be foresight? Could we predict Hannebury was going to breakdown with such regularity. It would have been the medicos and fitness staff who would have ticked that off.

In terms of Draft Picks - he cost nothing and was a salary dump
In terms of wage - we had plenty of cap space and had to pay someone and could not lure anyone else

Was it a mistake
Probably
I hope your splinters don't get infected.

Simply a joke of a post only because Hannebery was rooted before he got to us.

Fergus Watts biggest injury was nepotism.

Barry Brooks was a failure from any angle.

Jake Carlisle was compromised by a white line that didn't cross his back, yet we knew better.

Bugger me, where are we now???

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Incredible rubbish

Fergus Watts was a career ending break, fracture so bad he lost almost all mobility in his ankle

Brooks ruptured the ACL on his jumping leg and never got his jumping confidence back. Ended up a forward.

Carlisle was immobilised by a bad back

Hannebery has had calf issues, were they his issues in Sydney??

suss
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:44pm
suss wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:31pm At the time we had to spend the salary cap on someone and he was the only decent player willing to come to us.

In any event, we’ve got to retire him now and do a deal on the remaining year on his contract. It’s the only way to stop the bleeding.
Sorry suss, I do not buy "we had to spend the salary", that sounds like crap to justify a very poor, knee jerk selection. We could have covered numerous players salaries & futures but it appears that Old Xavs have their man.
I’m not saying it was a great deal. It was a big risk. Everyone knew he was cooked but I don’t think the club thought he was as cooked as he turned out to be.

The problem is that you can’t just pay 70% of the salary cap. You must pay 90% or 95% and if you have a s*** list - and we had a seriously s*** list - then you have to bring in someone to spend that money on. And if you aren’t a very good club - and we were not a very good club - then you can only bring in second string players and injury prone players and cooked players. What were the other options?

I’m personally more upset about Hind, McCartin, and all of the other stupid mistakes than Hannebery.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:12pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:44pm

I’m not saying it was a great deal. It was a big risk. Everyone knew he was cooked but I don’t think the club thought he was as cooked as he turned out to be.

The problem is that you can’t just pay 70% of the salary cap. You must pay 90% or 95% and if you have a s*** list - and we had a seriously s*** list - then you have to bring in someone to spend that money on. And if you aren’t a very good club - and we were not a very good club - then you can only bring in second string players and injury prone players and cooked players. What were the other options?

I’m personally more upset about Hind, McCartin, and all of the other stupid mistakes than Hannebery.
Suss, just leave it at your first paragraph. As soon as you say "everyone knew he was cooked", I think that's enough.

A joke & a embarrassment.