One positive for the week!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

One positive for the week!

Ryan BYRNES is back and named to play for Sandringham in their 1st game of the year.

One little glimmer of positivity after last nights debacle.

Winmar7
Club Player

Re: One positive for the week!

Hopefully we can give him a month or 6 weeks straight in the seniors at some stage, see what he's got :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:56am Hopefully we can give him a month or 6 weeks straight in the seniors at some stage, see what he's got :)
Think our other young gun, Bytel was still suffering the effects of that knock from last week

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 11:05am
Winmar7 wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:56am Hopefully we can give him a month or 6 weeks straight in the seniors at some stage, see what he's got :)
Think our other young gun, Bytel was still suffering the effects of that knock from last week
No he just played 'timid' footy like the rest of the side.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:55am Ryan BYRNES is back and named to play for Sandringham in their 1st game of the year.

The other positive last night was Nick Coffield getting back into some sort of form which was very pleasing!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not allowed to say the word pleasing are we?

Even though Ratts said it half a dozen times in the WCE post match presser?!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can I suggest another: Saints have a top class administration and an excellent coach, record membership. We have been crucified by injuries and that has had a snowball of shite effect. Injured players and Paddy R can mostly return (there is one glaring weakness to that rule). Lethlean and Gags will be burning the midnight oil on recruiting big defenders, another ruckman and another big mobile forward. If they are out there we will get them. Ratts now has definitive knowledge of the abilities - physical and mental - of the playing list. This will be demonstrated in coming weeks. Clark and Coffield will return to form some time because they have great natural abilities. 5 positions in the 8 might be already decided, perhaps 6 when the Lions meet a kinder draw and umpiring. There is just a tiny weenie, weenie chance we could snag a lower spot if we can get a healthy list on the park and other results go our way (damn our hard draw). I am not holding my breath. Also be interested to see the course the Board, Management and Coaching staff plot from here. I think it will be a positive in the end, if tricky, exercise. One of the first agenda items may well be Hannebery - when does salary cap burden reach a tipping point if he doesn't play in May; and another, what obligations are there to the players that took a significant pay cut in 2020. I think that sacrifice cannot be disrespected so everything that can be done to get a competitive team going has to be done. Its not all on Ratts - or Brad Hill, at least he is on the park.

sks023
Club Player

One positive is we have until Sunday week before we can watch the same crap again

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And on Sunday, it doesn’t ruin your whole weekend

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 4:45pm Can I suggest another: Saints have a top class administration and an excellent coach, record membership. We have been crucified by injuries and that has had a snowball of shite effect. Injured players and Paddy R can mostly return (there is one glaring weakness to that rule). Lethlean and Gags will be burning the midnight oil on recruiting big defenders, another ruckman and another big mobile forward. If they are out there we will get them. Ratts now has definitive knowledge of the abilities - physical and mental - of the playing list. This will be demonstrated in coming weeks. Clark and Coffield will return to form some time because they have great natural abilities. 5 positions in the 8 might be already decided, perhaps 6 when the Lions meet a kinder draw and umpiring. There is just a tiny weenie, weenie chance we could snag a lower spot if we can get a healthy list on the park and other results go our way (damn our hard draw). I am not holding my breath. Also be interested to see the course the Board, Management and Coaching staff plot from here. I think it will be a positive in the end, if tricky, exercise. One of the first agenda items may well be Hannebery - when does salary cap burden reach a tipping point if he doesn't play in May; and another, what obligations are there to the players that took a significant pay cut in 2020. I think that sacrifice cannot be disrespected so everything that can be done to get a competitive team going has to be done. Its not all on Ratts - or Brad Hill, at least he is on the park.
Can you see any link or conflict between the underlined.
I would suggest Galagher and Lethlean should both be immediately sacked for the LENGTH of the Hannebery contract.
Seems they were the only people in the footy industry that didn't know he was cooked.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Risk management. Risk of staying hopeless v trying to get things moving. Sure didn't work out. Are we overall in a better spot than that bland pitiful death spiral we were in. Time will tell. Check the balance sheet net assets - net liabilities. At a minimum we broke even playing finals after soooooo long, I'd suggest. An off with their heads approach might not help long term, but equally you might be right Whiskers, I take your point.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 11:54am Risk management. Risk of staying hopeless v trying to get things moving. Sure didn't work out. Are we overall in a better spot than that bland pitiful death spiral we were in. Time will tell. Check the balance sheet net assets - net liabilities. At a minimum we broke even playing finals after soooooo long, I'd suggest. An off with their heads approach might not help long term, but equally you might be right Whiskers, I take your point.
I think an outsider could get a read on the arc of our story like this.

1. Clean out and rebuild, leave a couple of champs there to help the young
2. Rebuild progress is honest but headwinds are strong ...new marque clubs prioritized, poor weak Melbourne teams to carry the can, crap fixtures
3. Team loses its appeal as go to destination, gray and bleak,
4. Team of honest young battlers emerge but there are “no stars”. No stars message reinforced in media for three years.
5. Club tries to recruit a Judd type star ...no takers, no appeal, eventually crab some has beens, some very ripe tomatoes and some fringe dwellers
6. Struggles to find players willing to come over...except suspicious situations...loses patience, fires coach
7. Young battlers not so young anymore, playing amid a cadre of cashed up older players..
8. Effort is inconsistent, class is questionable, future is questionable

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote:Can I suggest another: Saints have a top class administration and an excellent coach, record membership. We have been crucified by injuries and that has had a snowball of shite effect. Injured players and Paddy R can mostly return (there is one glaring weakness to that rule). Lethlean and Gags will be burning the midnight oil on recruiting big defenders, another ruckman and another big mobile forward. If they are out there we will get them. Ratts now has definitive knowledge of the abilities - physical and mental - of the playing list. This will be demonstrated in coming weeks. Clark and Coffield will return to form some time because they have great natural abilities. 5 positions in the 8 might be already decided, perhaps 6 when the Lions meet a kinder draw and umpiring. There is just a tiny weenie, weenie chance we could snag a lower spot if we can get a healthy list on the park and other results go our way (damn our hard draw). I am not holding my breath. Also be interested to see the course the Board, Management and Coaching staff plot from here. I think it will be a positive in the end, if tricky, exercise. One of the first agenda items may well be Hannebery - when does salary cap burden reach a tipping point if he doesn't play in May; and another, what obligations are there to the players that took a significant pay cut in 2020. I think that sacrifice cannot be disrespected so everything that can be done to get a competitive team going has to be done. Its not all on Ratts - or Brad Hill, at least he is on the park.
Great post Yorkeys

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:55am Ryan BYRNES is back and named to play for Sandringham in their 1st game of the year.

The other positive last night was Nick Coffield getting back into some sort of form which was very pleasing!
Happy to see Byrnes back and good to see Coff clunk some good marks and dispose of the pill accurately.

We’re Saints supporters. Finding the positives is inate.

And far better than pillorying Brad Hill (which I gather is a new social media sport) as if he was the only one out there.

Always loyal